Switch badges from JP to structural upgrades

in WvW

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

Badges need to be removed from the end chest from WvW Jumping Puzzles. Instead, give badges for upgrading structures (and possibly allow people to just exchange coin for badges if everything is fully upgraded with a less favorable ratio).

We get it, you want to nudge PvE’ers into WvW, but the current system is failing.

Problem:
1. PvEers are getting camped in the JP by organized gankers and spamming team and map chat with tears. This is frustrating to them as they see this whole ordeal a hindrance at best and downright frustrating at worst (their words, not mine).

2. Throwing them into a more or less FFA JP does not have anything to do with siege warfare. It’s a ganker’s heaven, except the aggressors didn’t actually get to see any of the tears they harvested so it’s unsatisfying, and the rest of us have to endure it in team/map chat, even though it is none of our business.

3. People are also circumventing the systems by asking for portals. They essentially get free badges with no efforts spent. I do not believe this is how the system is intended to work.

Why my idea works:

1. The cost of upgrading structures is insubstantial to someone who play PvE. But the costs add up if you primarily WvW. What happens is things just don’t get upgraded at all a lot of the times. It’s not a big deal for the war, but it’s a big deal for the game because the gold sink isn’t sinking gold.

2. PvEers needed an area that is relatively shielded to get them started and not get discouraged, as is the case with the lamb to the slaughter approach of the JP.

3. They needed an introduction to siege warfare, and defending at a friendly structure is relatively low risk, everyone can work at their own pace.

No major content change is necessary. Just tweak a few NPCs and everyone will be happy. So please fix this, and before february please, with just one small change you’ll instill so much confidence in the WvW AND PvE crowd. Please do something right for once!

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

(edited by Heinel.6548)

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

We will have a merchant in every tower!

Though this could be a decent idea here. Maybe a badge per 5 silver spent.

The problem is there are a lot of times you DONT want to trigger an upgrade. As it can drain supply from a keep when you have no hope of really keeping it without using that supply to build siege weapons.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Heinel.6548

It shouldn’t matter since in those cases you’ll have to move very quickly, and the worker is not quick. Just race for it.

I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

How does that make sense.

I said there are times you dont want to trigger an upgrade, what am I racing for?

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Heinel.6548

You said you needed the supply, triggering an upgrade doesn’t take the supply immediately, you race the worker that is running those supply to upgrade.

The only times this doesn’t work is if you have only just took the tower and had just finished an upgrade, which means your reserve should be low, but stars need to align for you to get attacked then. That is when team/map chat is useful… to a certain extend anyway. Not like people are going to listen if that means they aren’t claiming their rewards. But usually the attack happens before that or not at all. In most other cases your structures should be sitting at max supply with no one to do stuff with it.

Alternatively disable it when the structure is contested.

- CCP Abraxis

(edited by Heinel.6548)

in WvW

Posted by: davidentp.1923

davidentp.1923

Greetings! I won’t comment upon the system you’ve devised, but I would like to voice my concern at the hostility many of the people seeking aid/ asking questions about the jumping puzzle in EB receive. I’ve seen many a comment about “jpers” being a disgusting waste of queue space, and many comments expressing bemusement at the JP camping, because “it at least deters pve care-bears from entering.” In spite of being a regular JP’er myself, (I am indeed primarily a pve player) I find myself agreeing with the comments, if not their tone. I wouldn’t BE wasting your queue space if there were another way to reliably obtain badges that also contributed to your WvW efforts. I’m not in your WvW match because I WANT TO BE. I find it rather boring at times. Many people express discontent at the fact that to accomplish many ostensibly pve things, you must enter WvW. (Map completion, Legendary, etc) I know not what the solution is, (Neutrality in the Jp zone, badges from upgrades, yadayadayada)but this frustrating state of affairs cannot continue.

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlyRush.1620

DeadlyRush.1620

The reason is that everybody should contribute in every aspect of the game. If PvE no need badges then WvW should be change also to get the benefits from the PvEr.

1) No server bonus for PvE only WvW
2) All dungeon items can be bough using badge of honor
3) Killing a keep lord will spawn a chest which will allow precursor to drop
4) No world completion needed for legendary

I do not think this changes will happen and i think it is unfair for both side.

WvW have to fight to give u crafting and etc bonuses and have to do dungeon run for their legendary. They also have to explore a huge map to finish map completion.

PvE only have to collect badges from JP which can be done in less then an hour for all maps(Quicker with portal) and 4 maps. You all get the bonuses which WvW players fight for everyday to get and yet you complain.

Changes have to be made to WvW to help it survive. I know a LOT of PvEr wants legendary but so does WvW people. Unless WvW quit for maybe a month (In my case maybe a year cause i play so little) or we get extremely lucky, there is no way for us to even see a legendary. So be thankful that all you have to do is a jumping puzzle. I think OP suggestion is a good one. At least PvE people really have to play WvW to get the legendary like how WvW people have to do PvE stuff.

Deadlyshield[AFS] Officer

(edited by DeadlyRush.1620)

in WvW

Posted by: NateDog.6408

NateDog.6408

Greetings! I won’t comment upon the system you’ve devised, but I would like to voice my concern at the hostility many of the people seeking aid/ asking questions about the jumping puzzle in EB receive. I’ve seen many a comment about “jpers” being a disgusting waste of queue space, and many comments expressing bemusement at the JP camping, because “it at least deters pve care-bears from entering.” In spite of being a regular JP’er myself, (I am indeed primarily a pve player) I find myself agreeing with the comments, if not their tone. I wouldn’t BE wasting your queue space if there were another way to reliably obtain badges that also contributed to your WvW efforts. I’m not in your WvW match because I WANT TO BE. I find it rather boring at times. Many people express discontent at the fact that to accomplish many ostensibly pve things, you must enter WvW. (Map completion, Legendary, etc) I know not what the solution is, (Neutrality in the Jp zone, badges from upgrades, yadayadayada)but this frustrating state of affairs cannot continue.

What he said, this is stupid yes something needs to be done but the anger directed at players for playing the game as NCsoft designed it needs to stop now. It is not like the players can do anything about except let the designer know of the problem with the product.

MESS WITH THE BEST, DIE LIKE THE REST

in WvW

DeadlyRush.1620

What he said, this is stupid yes something needs to be done but the anger directed at players for playing the game as NCsoft designed it needs to stop now. It is not like the players can do anything about except let the designer know of the problem with the product.

I agree with you. But you must understand what is happening before coming on team or map chat asking JP stuff. My advice is just go to the jumping puzzle and talk in /say not in team or map chat. As crude as it sounds, one of the factor in WvW is body count. Having people going to JP instead of helping win WvW is kinda frustrating to some people.

in WvW

Posted by: NateDog.6408

NateDog.6408

I agree with you. But you must understand what is happening before coming on team or map chat asking JP stuff. My advice is just go to the jumping puzzle and talk in /say not in team or map chat. As crude as it sounds, one of the factor in WvW is body count. Having people going to JP instead of helping win WvW is kinda frustrating to some people.

That might help some of the people doing the JP however it does nothing for the disgusting and downright childish bahavior that seems to be the norm in wvw now and makes me not want to compete in it.

MESS WITH THE BEST, DIE LIKE THE REST

in WvW

DeadlyRush.1620

Hey everybody is childish. I seen person kick people mid way dungeon because he was a newbie. This is not only in WvW, it happens everywhere. If people kick you out from a dungeon half way what do you feel? The same right? So don’t blame only the WvW people. Its in every game and community that has these people.

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

This idea occurred to me, but so did Draygo’s point. I couldn’t think of a way to address that issue.

The problem is not that you, the player, need supply. The problem is that often the tower or keep needs supply, and giving an incentive for the purchase of an upgrade regardless of whether pursuing that upgrade is feasible can make life difficult for invested WvWers.

Your response is that a fortification sitting with max supply but no upgrades is often the case, that definitely has not been my experience. This may depend on the server tier you’re playing at, though. It would be nice to have some way of alleviating the upgrade costs, unfortunately I think this “easy” solution could end up producing more problems.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in WvW

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

“and possibly allow people to just exchange coin for badges”

Step 1 – Farm gold in PvE
Step 2 – Buy Badges

Looks like someone just got a ‘GIFT OF BATTLE’ without doing any BATTLING!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Look, smart kitten comment aside, the true way to get WvW badges was meant from killing other WvW invaders, I think the jumping puzzle poses a bit more of a skill requirement then your alternative. Sure, there is ganking in the jumping puzzle, that’s where you either move on and go get some kills or you get a team together and defeat them.

The jumping puzzle is there for a mere bonus, nothing more, it is not (although it is) meant to be the quickest and most efficient way of getting badges.

Badges just have too low of a drop rate to remove the jumping puzzle, it needs to stay.

(edited by Sithaco.4673)

in WvW

Posted by: Rob.1039

Rob.1039

I really can’t understand why people get angry at other players doing JP. I personally don’t like mindless zerging and nose-hitting the walls, but enjoy those little skirmishes that pop out every now and then, and in JPs you can get plenty of them. And while I try to get as much fun as I can, just by playing game the way I like to, I constantly get flamed on map chat for doing so. What’s wrong with you people? I don’t care if my server is winning or not, I paid for that game, I’m entitled to use it the way it was designed and it’s not my fault that JPs are part of WvW. I’d really go to spvp and leave you guys alone, if only spvp had bit more to offer, beside zergfest in hotjoin and bunker-roamer squads in tpvp. I even try sometimes to chose empty server in hotjoin and duel my guildmates, but it doesn’t take long before map gets filled with randoms and fun is over. Maybe they could try to separate JPs from WvW or if not, maybe separate queue could be some kind of solution.

in WvW

Posted by: Hyde.6189

Hyde.6189

I really can’t understand why people get angry at other players doing JP. I personally don’t like mindless zerging and nose-hitting the walls, but enjoy those little skirmishes that pop out every now and then, and in JPs you can get plenty of them. And while I try to get as much fun as I can, just by playing game the way I like to, I constantly get flamed on map chat for doing so.

I don’t mind people doing the jumping puzzles, but if you come on map chat asking people to drop what they’re doing to come help you while we’re all busy doing things that actually help our score like defending our keeps, then you can expect people to be annoyed.

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

I really can’t understand why people get angry at other players doing JP. I personally don’t like mindless zerging and nose-hitting the walls, but enjoy those little skirmishes that pop out every now and then, and in JPs you can get plenty of them. And while I try to get as much fun as I can, just by playing game the way I like to, I constantly get flamed on map chat for doing so.

I don’t mind people doing the jumping puzzles, but if you come on map chat asking people to drop what they’re doing to come help you while we’re all busy doing things that actually help our score like defending our keeps, then you can expect people to be annoyed.

+1

You can do the puzzle if you want, just don’t drag me or my teammates into it.

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

in WvW

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

Or better yet just remove the kitten thing from wvw entirely. It IS a disgusting waste of queue space. I realize it is not the players fault but ArenaNets. Whose idea was it to make a jumping puzzle in wvw? Whose idea was it to make badges as a reward, a reward that is greater than actual fighting? Fire that person, please.