THE REAL WVSW UPDATE IS HERE!

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

1 up 1 down is live!
If you care at all about this mode you will give it your FULL support!
This is the real wvsw update we have waited years for (not me tho, i WOULDN’T wait years lol). The pip thing….the beta pairings…those all fail in comparison to this change.

Anet literally threatened to install the glicko back if you don’t behave. So plz behave and give it ur full support. There will likely be some horrid weeks at the start, but that is just the leftover gunk from the glicko being burned out of the system. Look to the future and stay supportive.

Dunno why they would make it live NOW…we are getting new pairing on friday no? And they literally said that when new pairings are made the glicko will reaffirm who is vs who and 1up1down won’t matter till after the fact…..but whatever!

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Don’t get overjoyed. At best it’ll be a small bandage to the severe bleeding of the games population imbalance.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Small bandage or not, actually for how WvW works atm, it was always the best scheme, since ANet never wanted to drop servers or to change the gamemode itself to something diferent and simplier to avoid alot of later problems.

Still until friday will be a mess for me wvw time :\ the population gap.. is really noticeable, hope to have at least some fun with that.

One thing that ANet needs to change is how they servers are set to full, meybe they can divide the day in 3 sectors and show the server status during those “sector” times, if guild, this would help guilds to transfer to more emptier timezones where those servers were stated overall full.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

Within 4 weeks people will be on here about the servers who are tanking to get lesser matchups etc.

Match Manipulation is on. Now it’s just player controlled.

Not that an alliance of guilds didn’t do this artificially before, though that took months. This could bring a top tier server to the lowest tier in three weeks,

Oh well. Red is dead.

in WvW

Strider Pj.2193

Small bandage or not, actually for how WvW works atm, it was always the best scheme, since ANet never wanted to drop servers or to change the gamemode itself to something diferent and simplier to avoid alot of later problems.

Still until friday will be a mess for me wvw time :\ the population gap.. is really noticeable, hope to have at least some fun with that.

One thing that ANet needs to change is how they servers are set to full, meybe they can divide the day in 3 sectors and show the server status during those “sector” times, if guild, this would help guilds to transfer to more emptier timezones where those servers were stated overall full.

So, you must have the outnumbered buff all the time. That works out for you.

Not more than a week ago, people were raging about ques.

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

we had like 20-30 on queues max on the next 2-3 after the rewards update, meybe eb reached arround 50 on the first day, after that we went to the normal magic find and pip++ nsp buff (like we call it).

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

1 up 1 down is live!
This is the real wvsw update we have waited years for (not me tho, i WOULDN’T wait years lol). The pip thing….the beta pairings…those all fail in comparison to this change.

Anet literally threatened to install the glicko back if you don’t behave. So plz behave and give it ur full support. There will likely be some horrid weeks at the start, but that is just the leftover gunk from the glicko being burned out of the system. Look to the future and stay supportive.

Dunno why they would make it live NOW…we are getting new pairing on friday no? And they literally said that when new pairings are made the glicko will reaffirm who is vs who and 1up1down won’t matter till after the fact…..but whatever!

It would be the appropriate time to do the change if we are getting new links on friday, as it would need a couple weeks to adjust new server pairs to appropriate ranks, any other time would be a waste.

Incase anyone hasn’t read the notes yet.

1 up / 1 down matchmaking:

• Starting this Friday at reset, WvW will begin doing 1 up / 1 down matchmaking. This means a single, third-placing world will move down one tier and a single, first-placing world will move up one tier. If there is a tie for last, no world moves down, which also means no world in the tier below can move up (as there’s no room). Similarly, if there is a tie for first, no world moves up, which prevents the next tier up’s last-place world from moving down. If there is a change in which worlds are being used for matchmaking purposes (such as when world links change), matchmaking falls back on the usual Glicko rating sort (plus a potential deviation-based shuffle). Even while 1 up / 1 down is active, Glicko data will continue to be updated as it has been when each week’s round ends. This way it is always current when it needs to be relied upon.
  • This is a new test to try to improve how quickly worlds can move into their proper place.
  • We can revert back to Glicko if it is determined that the new matchup style is more harmful than helpful.

Which means if you try to exploit the system by tanking, they will yank the system out, so don’t be idiots.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Too bad the real WvW update only included PvP balancing. Other than that, yay, I suppose.

in WvW

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Some servers i will not call, will remain ‘bandwagoned’, and remain the problem that plagues wvw. You can only balance a lower server against them to fill the bracket, and the lower server is screwed. And weirdly these ‘bandwagon’ servers often get a link when they don’t deserve it. Bandwagon servers should have a transfer lock (not just expensive) and a link disabled (not possible). As long as that doesn’t happen. Nothing will change.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

Too bad the real WvW update only included PvP balancing. Other than that, yay, I suppose.

i feel like i want to delete my guardian………. those ….. buffs and they are only for pvp… while guardian mace sheals on WvW are a joke due th einvestements on stats that needs.

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Some servers i will not call, will remain ‘bandwagoned’, and remain the problem that plagues wvw. You can only balance a lower server against them to fill the bracket, and the lower server is screwed. And weirdly these ‘bandwagon’ servers often get a link when they don’t deserve it. Bandwagon servers should have a transfer lock (not just expensive) and a link disabled (not possible). As long as that doesn’t happen. Nothing will change.

Which servers are those?
Don’t think there’s been bandwagons lately, just some guilds moving around as usual. Bandwagon is technically people piling onto a server and moving it up in ranks, who’s done that lately? Unless it’s EU servers, in which case they have problems because of language specific servers, not much can be done there.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

(edited by XenesisII.1540)

in WvW

Posted by: miguelsil.6324

miguelsil.6324

Any queue thats makes me wait more than 5m after i log in to play in the only gamemode i want to is too much. didnt buy the game to wait for permission to play and my server was not full to beging with.

in WvW

Posted by: Arricson Krei.9560

Arricson Krei.9560

<snip>

Then people will stay up all night and wait until the least populated sector is open, transfer, and then start playing during the most populated sector.

An alternative solution would be to track each player’s activity throughout the 24 hour day (over a month or so), and then label that person as either Sector 1, 2, or 3. Now, the player is able to transfer to another server depending on the player’s Sector of Activity and the server’s Sector of _In_activity.

Seems like this would be expensive to keep track of, but who knows.

in WvW

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

Don’t get overjoyed. At best it’ll be a small bandage to the severe bleeding of the games population imbalance.

The bleeding population that many cried about and now cry about queues? Shame on you. My gawd people this update is the biggest I have seen since playing WvW and you all still kitten. Surprised ANET doesn’t pack it all up and shut ’er down.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: Aezyr.5304

Aezyr.5304

Which servers are those?
Don’t think there’s been bandwagons lately, just some guilds moving around as usual. Bandwagon is technically people piling onto a server and moving it up in ranks, who’s done that lately? Unless it’s EU servers, in which case they have problems because of language specific servers, not much can be done there.

The current one in EU is Vabbi (international server).

in WvW

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Which means if you try to exploit the system by tanking, they will yank the system out, so don’t be idiots.

Good luck on that front.

in WvW

Posted by: MuscleBobBuffPants.1406

MuscleBobBuffPants.1406

I like the time of day idea, in sectors, thats always been the biggest problem when you log in and either you are dominating or losing badly. Neither is fun. A good, fair challenging fight is the best outcome for everyone!

in WvW

Posted by: trailofsalt.6571

trailofsalt.6571

Within 4 weeks people will be on here about the servers who are tanking to get lesser matchups etc.

Hasn’t Mag already been doing just that? They even brag about it which is odd. I guess they feel like nobody cares so why not turn up the toxicity a bit.

I smash “1” for greatness… (òÓ,)

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

One other choice is to make the populations status in real time… instead of designate a server full or “with space” based on metrics over time…

Players and ANet could see when that server has lack of players or not, one other thing , population needs to be take into account on the server up and down, the gap on some servers, or NA servers is very very large, a servers migh be in one tier figthing very low population servers wich will result in ktrain, and if go up will be completelly blobbed 24/7.
So if a server has less population than the server that is going down, that movement should be impaired, every time gap is such big servers should not fall nor raise.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

trailofsalt.6571

I give ArenaNet credit for trying it out. It seems to be desired by a portion of the WvW community. However, I don’t see it lasting as a solution. We shall see I suppose.

in WvW

Strider Pj.2193

Hasn’t Mag already been doing just that? They even brag about it which is odd. I guess they feel like nobody cares so why not turn up the toxicity a bit.

Have faced Mag, and I don’t think they do it more than at least 3 other servers. I guess the difference with this, is that the change makes it easier, where-as Glicko (as bad as it is) makes it slower.

But I easily could be wrong.

I just think the new system makes it far easier and faster for individual servers to manipulate the matchups. Bad or good? I think that’s a perspective thing.

in WvW

trailofsalt.6571

I understand what you’re saying. I frown on match manipulation of any kind. It’s not something that allows any PvP mode to shine as competitive and fun. Forcing yourself down the ladder far enough where you can guarantee a win is a sad way to go about healthy competition.

As for one up, one down bringing more of that type of behavior… who knows. If it does, it will just be yet another nail in the coffin of what could otherwise be a fun game mode.

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

1 up 1 down is live!

Well, I’m glad someone’s happy about it. I couldn’t give two hoots, it won’t make WvW more fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

My issue is a hypothetical situation but one that is realistically possible.

84 skirmishes in a week. What happens if one server wins 30 of them. Another wins 28, and the third wins 26. Assuming 2nd and third are similarly distributed and points are razor close. I don’t think any server deserves to climb up another tier nor do I think a server deserves to drop a tier in such a match up. I think they are do evenly matched that it shouldn’t separate them.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

in WvW

Strider Pj.2193

My issue is a hypothetical situation but one that is realistically possible.

84 skirmishes in a week. What happens if one server wins 30 of them. Another wins 28, and the third wins 26. Assuming 2nd and third are similarly distributed and points are razor close. I don’t think any server deserves to climb up another tier nor do I think a server deserves to drop a tier in such a match up. I think they are do evenly matched that it shouldn’t separate them.

Depending on their war score, total wins matter less. So a server with awesome OCX coverage, could win all of the OCX skirmishes but finish third overall.

Like it or not, they drop under this system.

It appears as if Anet is willing to trial this. I don’t like it, but we’ll see its impact.

in WvW

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Oh its based on total war score, not combined Skirmish score! Okay then. Can still theoretically be tied.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

The bleeding population that many cried about and now cry about queues? Shame on you. My gawd people this update is the biggest I have seen since playing WvW and you all still kitten. Surprised ANET doesn’t pack it all up and shut ’er down.

I’ve never complained about the queues. In fact, I pointed out the day the pips were released that it would only take a short while for the queues to greatly reduce or go away. Again, I was right.

The 1-up 1-down method may be the biggest you’ve seen, but that doesn’t make it great. Its a band-aid at best. If I were to wager, this will last a handful of months and Anet will revert back to the glicko system.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

What’s so special about it? It is just match variation but variation is pointless if population is not comparable.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: EttinTracker.6504

EttinTracker.6504

Does anybody know how the ranking for 1-up 1-down is determined? According to http://mos.millenium.org/na/matchups/history/534, Jade Quarry had a lower final score than Yak’s Bend but YB moved down. Either that site is wrong or something else determines the ranking. Is it victory points instead of warscore?

in WvW

Posted by: Odinens.5920

Odinens.5920

Does anybody know how the ranking for 1-up 1-down is determined? According to http://mos.millenium.org/na/matchups/history/534, Jade Quarry had a lower final score than Yak’s Bend but YB moved down. Either that site is wrong or something else determines the ranking. Is it victory points instead of warscore?

That site is wrong. YB definitely did not beat out JQ last week.

in WvW

Posted by: TheHeretic.3529

TheHeretic.3529

That website could not access the information it needed at specific times to due to the repeated DDoS and lost count of the scores.

Maybe I’m a thorn in your perfection
A heretic’s voice in your head
A stargazer, releaser

in WvW

EttinTracker.6504

I checked again this week. Fort Aspenwood was behind Stormbluff Isle on total war score by about 2,500 but still didn’t move down. It was ahead on total victory points so maybe that is used.

in WvW

Posted by: Djamonja.6453

Djamonja.6453

They didn’t use 1 up 1 down this reset afaik. Raymond posted that they had removed it and were going back to the old glicko/rng system until they had it fixed (it didn’t work correctly last week).

in WvW

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

MOS Millenium’s data has problems on a regular basis.

in WvW

EttinTracker.6504

MOS Millenium’s data has problems on a regular basis.

This week, the total war score was in line with what I observed an hour before the week ended. I guess nobody knows if it’s war score, victory points, or something else.

Edit: or what Djamonja wrote that it wasn’t used this week.

Edit2: also, my question was answered (victory points): https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/1-up-1-down-question/first#post6640267

(edited by EttinTracker.6504)

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

mos is no longer accurate because 1up 1 down is based on total victory points at end of the week.

1up 1 down is love

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: Jirayu.5834

Jirayu.5834

mos is no longer accurate because 1up 1 down is based on total victory points at end of the week.

1up 1 down is love

Server tier can be pulled from API. I don’t think MOS do tier calculating by their own.

Anyway. What on earth could possibly gone wrong with simple algorithm such as 1-up-1-down so they have to switch back to glicko??

Worst NSP Ranger
Thai Guild Wars 2 Fansite: https://tyria.in.th