Tactivators

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

Was an increase in cooldowns for the airship and emergency waypoint the only change we’re to expect from Anet?

Airship still needs to be addressed. Chilling fog is entirely too annoying. Cloaking waters is still entirely ridiculous at that cooldown.

I thought Anet was on the same page as us: these are gimmicks and they make the game less fun. Tactivators are great if they buy you time to get your groups to the keep/SM to help, but they shouldn’t turn into gimmicks. These are currently gimmicks. Whether it’s my server using them or the other server, it makes the fights so much less fun.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Tyler said that with the cooldown increase that came with the patch, they can start looking at balancing the effects.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Towelie.9504

Towelie.9504

They really should just scrape them for now as right now they’re so stupidly OP it’s effectively breaking the game mode in terms of trying to capture SMC.

Cloaking waters really should just be removed, the mass-zerg invisibility has been tried before and it is a terrible mechanic to have, I don’t know why they thought re-adding it in was a good idea. We can’t just throw down stealth detection traps (Which are a joke btw) over and over especially when a zerg can drop right now a dumb amount of damage within half a second in the current meta.

Tactivators

in WvW

X T D.6458

Since they are tied to guild upgrades, it would be really difficult to simply remove. Either changing the effects or outright nerfs seems to be the only options.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Cloacking waters need to go 100%.
The airships Anet could balance it for more for pressure, than resolve the SM group problem, sometimes players just use it on small groups just for lols.
Chilling fog is a nuisance, ive seen classes being extremely nerfed because they were a nuisance.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

Cloaking waters and airship strikes are straight cancer and need to go. All it does is gives blob servers like TC easy kills. Get rid of that crap asap.

Native Maguuman

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Passive tactics that don’t have a substantial effect in a specific fight: good, active ones that decide the winner of a fight: bad.

Any tactic that is relatively passive (such as supply drop, dolyak buffs) or adds to the fighting (emergency waypoint, watchtower) is a welcome change to me. The tactics that effectively OP a blob should go.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

We’re supposed to changing WvW to make fights the priority.

JQ was attacking Stonemist castle with a reasonable sized zerg and there was a suitable sized BG zerg for us to fight (bigger than JQs zerg but not entirely unreasonable).

JQ couldn’t engage with BG for a fight because the airships and fog.

It’s just an orb remodelled.

Chuck the whole Tactivators idea in the bin.

Tactivators

in WvW

X T D.6458

JQ was attacking Stonemist castle with a reasonable sized zerg and there was a suitable sized BG zerg for us to fight (bigger than JQs zerg but not entirely unreasonable).

I spent a few hours in EB last night, which is something I rarely do, mostly play in borderlands, so I dont often get to see stuff like airship and stealth fountains used. I was pretty shocked to see that there is no cooldown on its use, you can basically just walk through a fountain at any time and get a ton of stealth, that is just ridiculously over the top. I can understand how incredibly frustrating it must have been for you to have to keep dealing with that.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Tyler Bearce

Tyler Bearce

Game Designer

Nerfs are coming for a number of the problematic guild upgrades like cloaking waters, chilling fog and airship defense.

For cloaking waters, the stealth duration is getting reduced dramatically. We recognize that it’s possible that any amount of stealth is too strong, but changing a number is something we can do quickly and safely. Whereas changing the upgrade to do something entirely different requires significantly more time, both in terms of general development (design/implementation/testing) and also in large part because it would require updated text, which in turn needs to go through our long editing and localization process. As for removing the upgrade entirely, that also isn’t really an option, due to how it’s intertwined with the Scribing and Guild Halls systems.

Tactivators

in WvW

X T D.6458

Nerfs are coming for a number of the problematic guild upgrades like cloaking waters, chilling fog and airship defense.

For cloaking waters, the stealth duration is getting reduced dramatically. We recognize that it’s possible that any amount of stealth is too strong, but changing a number is something we can do quickly and safely. Whereas changing the upgrade to do something entirely different requires significantly more time, both in terms of general development (design/implementation/testing) and also in large part because it would require updated text, which in turn needs to go through our long editing and localization process. As for removing the upgrade entirely, that also isn’t really an option, due to how it’s intertwined with the Scribing and Guild Halls systems.

Thanks for the update Tyler, will the stealth fountain update also include a cool down or will it stay usable continuously?

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Random: Would kind of like to see what happened if airstrike got friendly fire enabled... and hit *everywhere* in entire smc (including lord). Would have been a hilarious 1st april joke.

on topic: glad to see changes.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

It should act like a veil. 6 seconds of stealth TOPS. people are wping to their spawn with this crap blind siding people making ebg straight cancer.

Native Maguuman

Tactivators

in WvW

X T D.6458

It should act like a veil. 6 seconds of stealth TOPS. people are wping to their spawn with this crap blind siding people making ebg straight cancer.

Oh wow that needs to be fixed, it should have a range effect like auras, where if you leave SM’s borders the stealth effect automatically wears off

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Badass.7492

Badass.7492

To be honest, big nerves on the fighting tactics (those being mentioned above) would be very bad for the smaller zerg because those tactics give the possibility to fight larger groups without being screwed right at the beginning (this is especially related to the chilling fog). About the cloaking water: a limitation of the cloaking to a certain amount of people would be great.

Tactivators

in WvW

X T D.6458

To be honest, big nerves on the fighting tactics (those being mentioned above) would be very bad for the smaller zerg because those tactics give the possibility to fight larger groups without being screwed right at the beginning (this is especially related to the chilling fog). About the cloaking water: a limitation of the cloaking to a certain amount of people would be great.

It can be useful yes, but atm with the siege buffs, defense buffs like hardened gates, lord scaling, combined with tactivator effects like emergency wp, chilling fog and the rest it can be extremely frustrating for attackers. While it can be helpful at times for a small group, it can also be used by a large group. The problem is that there has been a huge imbalance since HoT in favor of defense, and steadily we are moving more towards a balanced approach. What we don’t need is mechanics that encourage large groups to bunker up, build a ton of siege, and pull levers, its not fun, wvw should encourage fighting. Tactivator effects should help, but not be the dominant factor in the outcome of an engagement.

I love how it censors out your name lol

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Badass.7492

Badass.7492

Ye it does ^^
Maybe a possible solution would be kind of a stationary u-buff in the area of keeps, which only allows to use the tactics while u are fewer ppl than the attacking force

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Endelon.1042

Endelon.1042

For cloaking waters, the stealth duration is getting reduced dramatically.

As for removing the upgrade entirely, that also isn’t really an option, due to how it’s intertwined with the Scribing and Guild Halls systems.

Why was this stuff even added in the first place then? If you guys are referring to your own game additions as “problematic upgrades” then why not work on removing the activated tactics? The passive upgrades are fine and are the only kind of upgrades that should have ever been added to begin with.

Can’t you do something like remove the 3 activated slots and replace them with a 4th
passive slot while adding more passive upgrade choices. For example: walls take less damage, gates take less damage, cannons auto-repair after their destruction cooldown timer, X supply automatically generates at the structure every Y minutes, etc.

The passive upgrades like Presence of the Keep and Watchtower aren’t nearly as game-changing (or annoying) as fog, banners, airships, etc. with Cloaking Waters being the only passive that causes problems. And if you’re going to nerf these things to the point that they’re not very useful, why even have them in the game at all?

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

This doesn’t really make sense to me….its like you are saying the upgrades are a terrible thing that you would scrap but your predecessors made it important for other parts of the game and you don’t want to touch it cause of that. Does that about sum it up?

That’s rather disappointing to hear.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I’m disappointed that the defensive buffs are being reduced.
Chilling Fog and Airship were supposed to help defend the objectives, and they do. It’s not as if they are cheap to make!
I think Arenanet are making an error here: making their own content obsolete.

I believe it would be best if the players get weekly rewards as follows:
1st – 3 Chests as now
2nd – 2 Chests as now and 1 materials chest containing something for scribing upgrades
3rd – 1 Chest as now and 2 materials chests containing something for scribing upgrades

The worse you do, the more you are empowered to do better next time. With World-Linking, Arenanet have begun to put some emphasis even matchups and hopefully the above gesture would indicate a willingness to do so even more in future!

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Endelon.1042

Endelon.1042

I’m disappointed that the defensive buffs are being reduced.
Chilling Fog and Airship were supposed to help defend the objectives, and they do. It’s not as if they are cheap to make!
I think Arenanet are making an error here: making their own content obsolete.

I believe it would be best if the players get weekly rewards as follows:
1st – 3 Chests as now
2nd – 2 Chests as now and 1 materials chest containing something for scribing upgrades
3rd – 1 Chest as now and 2 materials chests containing something for scribing upgrades

The worse you do, the more you are empowered to do better next time. With World-Linking, Arenanet have begun to put some emphasis even matchups and hopefully the above gesture would indicate a willingness to do so even more in future!

The “content” was stuff that should have never been added in the first place, though. No WvW player asked for banners, fog, airships, etc. But now they are in a sticky situation because these tactics are tied to scribing and guildhall upgrades and it’s going to be a mess for them to un-do things like banners.

The upgrade system itself isn’t the problem. Passive bonuses that strengthen the structures or provide helpful perks (like Presence of the Keep) aren’t the problem. The problem is the on-demand stuff like fog and airships. If those on-demand things are too strong (like now) then they really make the game annoying to play. If those on-demand things are too weak then it makes them pointless…why would anyone spend the ridiculous gold costs on crafting fog if it’s useless?

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

ty for the input. but honestly. i think removing them and wait a while until something that doesnt interfere with the actual battles the way it is atm, would be the best solution. none of these upgrades that are beneficial.

the guild upgrades we used to have like +5 supply etc. were way more balanced and didnt interfere with the actual battle. please remove banners and all the hot gimmicks that made many of us quit the game. im sure a lot of us dont mind not having them and wait until something that doesn’t mess around with our battle comes out.
airship reminds me of skyhammer, banners are like warriors before the nerf, the fountains are like culling before the fix…remove it all please.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Is there a way you can tie these things into the outnumbered buff? It would make a lot more sense to give the smaller group a way to level the playing field rather than giving the larger group an even bigger advantage.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: PabbyGaul.9682

PabbyGaul.9682

With tactics equal accross the servers outnumbered servers need a greater advantage available only to them at that time.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Kam.8109

Kam.8109

Is it too much to ask they be removed from the game? When servers are evenly matched numbers-wise, it’s already an uphill battle because of siege. These gimmicks give the defenders an edge that simply can’t be matched by the attackers. These gimmicks turn a fight that already favors defenders heavily, and makes it so only a sustained 2v1 even has a chance of taking the defending server down.

Increasing cooldowns and decreasing the durations doesn’t do enough. We want even fights. With the new linking system, we’re getting a lot more even number fights. Weighing SMC so heavily in favor of the defenders is just too much.

I don’t mind getting beaten because the opponent outfought me. I absolutely hate getting beaten because the opponent pulled a no-skill-required magic lever that kills everything.

Maybe creating a system where attacking players can see the cooldowns of tactivators? Or give attack players a method of stripping these defenses from smc? If that’s too much to ask then just remove from game.

(edited by Kam.8109)

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

Can’t you already see the CD of the tactivator by clicking the objective on the map? I know that when the enemy WP is on CD, that’s when I harass the keep the hardest—they’ll have to sit in it if they want to keep it.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: casantis.3106

casantis.3106

Yes, you know the timers bi clicking the objective. At least remove the cloacking waters and the kitten airship.

Por la Razón o la Fuerza [CL]

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Why not just remove them? That would be a way to help even odds between defending and capturing. There is already enough issues with blind ARC placements (3rd floor SMC, etc.) that makes capturing hard enough as it is.

Tactivators

in WvW

X T D.6458

I know that changing the effect of the upgrade is a long process but maybe it would be worth it for the more problematic ones like cloaking waters? Instead of just nerfing everything to hell and making it not even worth working on as an upgrade.

What if instead of stealth, the fountains provide like a defensive boon like protection or stability, or you could have one that provide offensive boons like fury, might, or swiftness.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Rin of Rivvinda.4971

Rin of Rivvinda.4971

As for removing the upgrade entirely, that also isn’t really an option, due to how it’s intertwined with the Scribing and Guild Halls systems.

The stealth upgrade (cloaking waters) is a lv 400 scribe recipe, so it is not something scribes need to level up. So in that part it could be temporary disabled for both being crafted as well as being used, until the upgrade can be reworked into something new.
(ofcourse putting the stealth duration to 1 sec with a 1 hour cooldown would have nearly the same effect).

I personally like the guild upgrades as they bring in a bit more strategy in the game. It does cost resources to get them, but the same was true for keep upgrades pre HoT.

However they should not be over the top and specially the stealth one is problematic there also since it is a passive one. The active ones can be annoying but with good tactics you can make the defenders trigger them while you are ready for it (for example you pull out fast when airships are triggered which leaves them on cooldown to give your team time to make a move. The increased cooldowns help there, perhaps they need some tuning.

Also perhaps instead of only timers for recharge of guild tactics the recharge could be bound to incomming dolyaks as well. In that way an attacking team can prevent any guild upgrade from recharging after it has been used just by making sure no dolyaks (and thus supply) reaches the tower/keep/castle. The number of dolyaks needed to recharge the tactics should be low enough though so that a defending team can try to guide a dolly to recharge the tactics. The give attackers a chance to recover in case they get taken by surprised incomming dollies should not count for recharging of tactics the first 5-10 min after the tactic has been used.

Vin Lady Venture, of The Rising Falcons [RiFa]
member of the Fissure of Woe (FoW) community

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

large part because it would require updated text, which in turn needs to go through our long editing and localization process.

Wow. So improving the game mode has to take a back seat in large part because you don’t want to write text and have it translated?

Intertwined with the scribing and Guild Hall systems? That sounds like the scribing and guild halls aren’t designed to have features added or removed. Really?

OK, make the duration zero then.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

It’s not necessary to remove anything from the game, they just need to find the sweet spot on duration and cool down times.

I always thought Anet balanced powerful skills with cool down times, that’s why we have elites skills that take 3mins to use again, so that they’re not used multiple times in a fight. (That theory has been rattled with coalescence of ruin and it’s very short cool down for it’s range and damage, but that’s a topic for elsewhere.)

Anyways given that sieges can sometimes last an hour for upgraded keeps and smc, those powerful tactivators need a longer cool down. Stuff like stealth waters need a much shorter duration.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

The majority of the HoT guild upgrades for WvW were plainly not done with a healthy WvW mind.

These “mechanics” (gimmicks) need to go. I appreciate that you are looking into it but we’d all be better off if you just worked on deleting them. The passives can stay. I like Endelon’s idea.

Cloaking Waters is completely broken and I could see this since pre-HoT release, it baffles me that it was even considered to go in the game in this state :/

But of all, Chilling Fog is the most annoying thing to me. As someone who enjoys small man fights more than big zerg fights, just trying to move around SMC (where most of my roaming fights will be) is the biggest pain in the world and instantly gives an incredible advantage to the players who already have the advantage of the portal to outter SMC -_-"

SMC doesn’t need buffs to it’s defense, it never did. It was the best place to have big fights and swing the map control for a server. These guild upgrades have ruined it.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

I think Kitta makes a good point—SMC was the last place that needed a defense boost. While gripes about the tactivators are more prevalent than just SMC, they do seem to concentrate around the castle.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

The problem is the on-demand stuff like fog and airships. If those on-demand things are too strong (like now) then they really make the game annoying to play.

I disagree that they are currently too strong. Alone, they aren’t good enough to prevent a group (of any outnumbering size) from capping a structure, but they may delay capture until reinforcements arrive. On their own they don’t swing the balance – it’s only with a significant number of defenders that they do.

This is why I think they are fine as-is.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

I agree that cloaking waters should be nerfed hard… No more of this being able to waypoint and still be cloaked and if you leave SMC…no more cloak. Like the sands in the desert b.l.

Chilling fog is a good effect, can turn the tide of a fight if employed correctly. If any fixes are suggested my input would be to reduce the duration slightly.

The airship… ridiculous. Maybe it could be something that floats around SMC at the same level as the mystic forge, has to have a pilot (trained in masteries) to fire (with major cooldowns), and can be shot down with a ballista, treb, catapult, mortar, or by having an enemy hop inside and tear the thing up…. upon which there’s a timer for him/her to escape back onto a platform before the ship crashes, damaging friend or foe when it lands.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

Yeah that fight was so awesome, JQ / IoJ was killing it, had BG’s “hide behind the walls” tactics beat, until BG ran away again (from our smaller numbers), bunkered up, activated their “I Win” button and kicked us out. They had the massive numbers AND the “I Win” button. How cheesy, how kittening kitten (yeah wanted to say something not PC).

Sucked fighting BG this last week. Gazillions of them stacked, just hiding behind Stonekeep’s walls.

If ANET truly wants WvW to survive they have to penalize the “Stackem to WIn!” guilds / servers.

ANET talks about how they don’t want their outnumbered buff to be exploited but the game has for years been exploited by WvW’s “stackem to win” mechanics. Maybe ANET just wants our transfer money.

(edited by Grim West.3194)

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.5389

Phantom.5389

Just had massive fights near SMC. Every time the server owning SMC was about to lose it’s inner gate → Press ‘’I Win’’ button and force us out. Repair structures and build more siege in the meantime.

Results?

SMC was never flipped. Fights got stale and everyone is now leaving SMC be since it’s not even a structure you can take (unless you cap it when everyone is asleep). SMC was already a big structure and gave a massive advantage in EB, now it’s the same structure but 300% harder to take back. The big server of the week just got their new toy to play with and bully the small server. I’ve seen SMC being held for a complete week since tactivators…

Tactivators

in WvW

Melanion.4892

Hi Tyler.

Should we expect these nerfs next Tuesday or will it take longer? I feel like they should be high priority right behind lag and alpine borderlands, but it’s hard to know where Anet’s current priorities lie.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Nyta.4769

Nyta.4769

If removal or completely changing functionality aren’t possible, then how about at least changing it to give the same type of stealth as Obsidian Sanctum’s fountains? (i.e. no skill bar, ends if you take damage, and I think it disables trait passives, too. I think it’s basically a stealth tonic.) It’s not a perfect solution, but at least it means the stealthed zerg isn’t fully buffed on engage since they can’t use their skills until after dropping the stealth.

And if that ends up still being too powerful (considering that veiling the stealth drop kinda negates that downside), make the SMC stealth give you Reveal when it ends.

And if that’s still too powerful (because of being able to attack immediately after dropping the stealth), make it also disable skills for 1-2s when it ends. If the other group’s paying attention and has fast enough reflexes, that should give them a much better shot at defending themselves.

(edited by Nyta.4769)

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stealth_Disruptor_Trap

Cloaking waters seems fine to me. The duration shouldn’t be nerfed. Otherwsie you make it entirely pointless. Add a 2-3 min cd before you can restealth via the waters would be fine imo. Still useful for the occasional sneak attack, but not allowing every single time you push to be a full cloaked zerg.

SMC should be a nightmare to take, if it has defenders.Before it was far to fragile to be called a castle.
However it should be possible to do.. Esp when BG runs away from JQ/IoJ zergs half their size.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Tactivators

in WvW

Melanion.4892

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stealth_Disruptor_Trap

Cloaking waters seems fine to me. The duration shouldn’t be nerfed. Otherwsie you make it entirely pointless. Add a 2-3 min cd before you can restealth via the waters would be fine imo. Still useful for the occasional sneak attack, but not allowing every single time you push to be a full cloaked zerg.

SMC should be a nightmare to take, if it has defenders.Before it was far to fragile to be called a castle.
However it should be possible to do.. Esp when BG runs away from JQ/IoJ zergs half their size.

Stealth disruptor trap works if you know where they’re coming from. Currently, you can waypoint with stealth and save any of your towers. You can ambush any group on I think it’s a minute and a half cooldown.

I agree that SM should be hard to take, but the game shouldn’t be placing the currently winning team at an advantage. They took out the orbs for a reason: it compounded on the already winning team’s momentum. If I already have a fully sieged and upgraded SM, it becomes far more difficult to defend. If I then have airship, chilling fog and a minute of stealth, it becomes nearly impossible to defend.

If the game becomes entirely about taking and holding keeps, that’s great, but you have to consider the annoyance facing any server that currently DOESN’T have a fully upgraded SM and must try to take it.

Tactivators

in WvW

Posted by: Kam.8109

Kam.8109

You clearly have not tried to take SMC when a dedicated siege humping server has possession.

As for not being able to remove them because of a crafting profession. I get that it would take a lot of effort, but isn’t WvW worth it? I mean, why should an entire game mode suffer in order to preserve a few elements of a single crafting profession?