Targetting is horrid

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

It is. It needs to be fixed

Ur normal tab targeting will prioritize gates/walls over actual players….like wwat?!!?!? Same with target closest enemy….if the gate/wall is closer (and its gonna be if ur near it) it targets that. WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU MAKE GATES/WALLS PART OF THE TARGET HOTKEYS? AND WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY PRIORITIZED TARGETS!?!?!?

And thats not all! Both keys will prioritize any enemies within a 360 degree radius now! So rather than target the guy infront of you it will target the guy who isn’t in ur los first!
Maybe for target nearest enemy someone out there will think it acceptable (honestly it is never acceptable imo…if i cant see if why should i be able to target it?!??!), but for both normal tab targetting and the other to function this way..!?!! NO! Maybe if my turn 180degrees button worked more than 40% of the time (and didn’t set my attacks on cd 60% of the time…why i can’t que up turn 180degrees and my next attack is beyond my understanding), or if I could turn to fire backwards while moving instead of just while standing still it might be okay.

The only way to target something reliable is to click on it. Which is easier said than done in wvsw where you have tons of things getting infront of ur target, ur targets porting around everywhere, ur targets stealthing and breaking ur target lock, ur targets moving out of ur los and breaking target lock…..why should moving out of my immediate los break target lock and yet I can retarget an enemy that is behind me without even knowing its there!?!??

Even better the target hot keys have a shorter range than ur actual click to target! If you see some1 running towards you from the distance you can ‘eventually’ target them when they get to a certain distance with the mouse (thats another problem…the max targeting range is too short for incoming targets), if you pound on tab or ur other hotkeys though they won’t register until the enemy is a couple units away from firing range.

OH! and there’s another problem! Alot of the time the targetting hotkeys don’t even register!! You can pound on the key and it won’t recognize the enemy…..it will only recognize that stupid pve bird and the maybe the dumb wall….but not the thing standing there firing at you.

And as well half the time I don’t even know what I have targetted without planting a marker on it! The target you have…‘targetted’ is so indistinct from the millions of other parts of the red blob on ur screen.

Its like looking at a where’s waldo picture, holding a gun, firing the gun, and the bullet auto-aiming itself at waldo.
Its become the most backwards system I’ve ever seen in a game…

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Thank you – I’m feeling the exact same and everybody tells me I’m nuts. \o/

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Cerby.1069

Thank you – I’m feeling the exact same and everybody tells me I’m nuts. \o/

I KNOW!! Everyone tells me I’m crazy as well when I bring this up! I don’t get it!!!! I really don’t understand how this isn’t a big deal. For most communities this would be the biggest priority and issue to fix in wvsw….instead we are running around complaining about that player being bigger than the other player, and that player having more bling than that other player, and that player offending the other player’s made-up sensibilities.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

yup, very annoying

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

Yes! It’s terrible.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: kroter.1326

kroter.1326

Action camera kind of helps, you can pew-pew in someones face without targeting them, you can pull, leap and cleave in the direction your camera is facing. There are builds you can play without need to target anything. Or you could just go full AOE necro.

But yeah, it needs to be fixed.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

No argument here… the autotargetting is pretty bad … why on earth it would target a gate or wall is beyond me.

… just call me … Tim :)

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Depending on what you are looking for, action camera can work well. Specifically hammer revs in blob situations in wvw where you don’t really care what you hit beyond a general area.

But other than that I use tab targeting and click targeting. I too have problems with the “selected target” indicator being horribly lost if there are more than 3 enemies and I lose sight/focus of my target.

If you don’t have auto-targeting turned off, do it.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Jana.6831

It’s still terrible. I’m unable to get teq’s leg in focus, without auto target, no matter what I do – I always have his head as target – not so cool if you try to heartseeker his leg, because you will leap into nothing. And in blobfights I’m now spamming tab (next target) instead of F (auto loot) – great.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Add clones to the list. I NEVER want to target a clone. EVER.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Mertyns.4921

Mertyns.4921

You don’t know how long I was waiting for a post like this. When I try to tab-target something, the priority seems to be
1. Neutral (non-aggroed) creature in range
2. Anything out of range
3. Object (non-creature) in range
4. Anything in range but outside my LoS
5. Hostile creature in range which is bodyblocked by something between it and my character
6. Neutral (non-aggroed) creature in range again

I was trying to find any topics related to this targetting ‘thing’, but without much luck, so I assumed the problem must be solely on my side. It is hence a kind of relief to finally hear (read) I’m not alone there.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

BRIDGES ZOMG, fighting on that bridge in bay is a pain in the kitten on a caster, there could be an entire enemy blob standing on it and the game targets the bridge lol.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Justine.6351

It’s still terrible. I’m unable to get teq’s leg in focus, without auto target, no matter what I do – I always have his head as target – not so cool if you try to heartseeker his leg, because you will leap into nothing. And in blobfights I’m now spamming tab (next target) instead of F (auto loot) – great.

No one said it was the be all end all fix. It certainly is an improvement over letting the game decide for you.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

I’m just terrible and I click my skills

So yes, the targeting is annoying for this casual.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Makimus.7280

Makimus.7280

I agree,targeting is horrid in wvw.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Jana.6831

No one said it was the be all end all fix. It certainly is an improvement over letting the game decide for you.

Well, at least auto target targets teq’s leg Because the next target with auto target targets the second target, e.g., not the closest – you can’t target the closest target with auto target, but you might be lucky and it gets something you’re unable to get with mouseclick and “next target”.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

It’s very annoying against stealth classes when you lose target and they pop back out, press ‘target’ key and it targets some random piece of wall/door/creature, in fact anything but the pesky thief wailing on you and by the time you manage to click on him he’s popped back into stealth….

Actually, it’s pretty annoying full stop.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

OP,

Yes it is. For some reason even with autotarget turned off, my warrior will fling herself at a unrelated wall. It never seems to happen nearly as much with my guardian or engineer despite using leaps just as much. It happens rarely, but it’s enough to make me post. And then there’s the random targeting of wildlife because whatever.

I think it’d be cool if you can decide which skills picked a target or not. So say you could set your leaps to go forward be default while your AA could just go for whatever’s the closest.

Well, at least auto target targets teq’s leg Because the next target with auto target targets the second target, e.g., not the closest – you can’t target the closest target with auto target, but you might be lucky and it gets something you’re unable to get with mouseclick and “next target”.

You can target Teq or any other world boss by clicking on their health bar under the events text. I found that to work best since I’ve always had a terrible time wondering which part of them I’m supposed to be hitting.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

Yep, fully agree. My autotargets mostly aim the guys behind me and not those in front of me in my Los. This should really be changed. More priority to those closer to you and within your Los.

gaem not made for mi
===========

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

I don’t know how a game with targeting this bad could ever think they could host esports. I play all professions. I get the clone and pets thing because its part of the classes defence, but I’ll target everything but the player…rabbits, squirrels,gates,deer… you can’t even cycle through targets correctly. I’m trying to be constructive here. At least fix cycle target please.

Targeting is a backbone issue for a game world like gw2, and especially for competitive play like pvp and wvw. I’m not sure which I find more troubling though. The thought that I will have to continue hobbling along with it the way it is, or that it will be addressed and something worse will be put in its place. I’ve seen that happen in a few games :S

(edited by Kamara.4187)

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Jana.6831

You can target Teq or any other world boss by clicking on their health bar under the events text. I found that to work best since I’ve always had a terrible time wondering which part of them I’m supposed to be hitting.

I don’t think that would help in my case. He has got at least 3 targets on him but without auto target I’m always getting his head, even though I might be hitting the leg right in front of me. If I use heart seeker I’m always jumping into the direction of his head – no matter what I do.

Edit: You were right – it works. Not that it makes things that much less complicated but I can at least use heartseeker on him again. Thanks a lot!

(edited by Jana.6831)

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Yes it’s pretty bad. Also annoying you can lose target for no reason. No not cause of stealth or something, just losing target.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Yes it’s pretty bad. Also annoying you can lose target for no reason. No not cause of stealth or something, just losing target.

I’ve been having this happen a lot recently, thought it was just me though.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Offair.2563

I’ve been having this happen a lot recently, thought it was just me though.

Happens to me since the day i started to play this game. Others noticed it aswell.

Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

I always get player pilriority over anything else. I am more annoyed when I am trying to cull npcs with other characters on screen. :/

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Justine.6351

I always get player pilriority over anything else.

Ya same, no idea what the others are doing wrong. Well except maybe spamming 1 with auto targeting on. If your target gets stealth then of course it will target something less desirable. Not sure how these players handle ranger pet taunts, or maybe they don’t considering all the hate druids are getting.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Jana.6831

Ya same, no idea what the others are doing wrong. Well except maybe spamming 1 with auto targeting on. If your target gets stealth then of course it will target something less desirable. Not sure how these players handle ranger pet taunts, or maybe they don’t considering all the hate druids are getting.

Now, a bit less arrogance: Auto targeting and manual targeting prioritize different targets. If using next target with auto target on you’ll not get the next target/closest target, but something rather random (if using it first you’ll get the second closest target, if using mid battle you’ll get the wall, no matter whether or not the enemy closest to you is stealthed). It does work with manual targeting.
You can now be like my 18 yo buddy “WHAA YOU USED AUTO TARGET? THAT’S TOO EASY!!” still it remains a problem, not just with auto target. And some players enjoy zergfights in which manual targeting is a hinderance.

(edited by Jana.6831)

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

I don’t use auto target and I still have issues with targeting.
I have the problems where tab targeting selects random yellow mobs over players, I have the problem where I will randomly untarget the player without being taunted or them stealthing.

What’s really annoying is when I try to drop target to use a weapons movement skill and it continues to target the person (even though it doesn’t show it) and leaps me in the opposite direction of where I am trying to go.

LGN

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Kamara.4187

I have the problems where tab targeting selects random yellow mobs over players, I have the problem where I will randomly untarget the player without being taunted or them stealthing.

What’s really annoying is when I try to drop target to use a weapons movement skill and it continues to target the person (even though it doesn’t show it) and leaps me in the opposite direction of where I am trying to go.

I second this. Even when not using auto target it is cumbersome and makes drop-target/retargeting difficult.

P.s. LOL Puck on ur new forum name. Where is LGN prowling these days btw Miss joo all?

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

Oh right! I forgot auto targetting was even a thing. I turned that off on day one. At this point I can tab target with much greater precision and even target fast enough for zerg fights. I recommend others to all practice it themselves since it gives you greater control, but to each their own. :/

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

I second this. Even when not using auto target it is cumbersome and makes drop-target/retargeting difficult.

P.s. LOL Puck on ur new forum name. Where is LGN prowling these days btw Miss joo all?

The bulk of LGN is on JQ, I’m on Mag and AR, I think theirs still a handful on Ebay that never made the move to JQ. I may end up moving my AR account to rejoin them but I’m waiting to see who AR get’s paired up with in the next link. I really didn’t enjoy JQ’s play style and I’d rather avoid being there.

LGN

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Kamara.4187

The bulk of LGN is on JQ, I’m on Mag and AR, I think theirs still a handful on Ebay that never made the move to JQ. I may end up moving my AR account to rejoin them but I’m waiting to see who AR get’s paired up with in the next link. I really didn’t enjoy JQ’s play style and I’d rather avoid being there.

I PM’d you so as to not derail the subject because this is an important issue I’d love to see addressed. Respect to the OP who started the topic

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Cerby.1069

OP,

Yes it is. For some reason even with autotarget turned off, my warrior will fling herself at a unrelated wall. It never seems to happen nearly as much with my guardian or engineer despite using leaps just as much. It happens rarely, but it’s enough to make me post. And then there’s the random targeting of wildlife because whatever.

Something that might help. If you run melee warrior I find enabling auto-targetting works fine. But then I bind a “disable auto-targetting on key press” (or whatever its called, was added early this year) key in options. I bind it to ‘G’ on my keyboard. So anytime I want to channel a movement skill (or attack) for the sake of moving in a specific direction, I unselect my target, hold G, and press the skill. This also enables you to move 1 direction with gs5 and then, upon targetting something, have it complete the channel towards the enemy (note this only works 50% of the time since a few patches ago). You can also change the direction of sword 2 mid-channel using this…..sometimes (or at least u used to be able to). Both those things u should be able to do without auto-targgeting as well but whatever it shows you ya don’t anything/much going this route.

(edited by Cerby.1069)

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

I have always had the same problem but figured it was just cuz I am a sucky super lame casual. I think being a button masher doesn’t help but then crappy tab targeting forces me to be even more of one. Why would I even ever want to target an enemy wall I can’t damage any how? Couldn’t they make wall health a visual separate from targeting at least?

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Action camera kind of helps, you can pew-pew in someones face without targeting them, you can pull, leap and cleave in the direction your camera is facing. There are builds you can play without need to target anything. Or you could just go full AOE necro.

This. We found with some “adjustments” the Action Camera is a substantially better system at least for some classes/builds.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

I hate auto targeting … it just doesn’t work well and even picks neutral creatures over enemies sometimes. I just disable it, and keybind my C button to closest enemy. Not a fix, but is bounds better than auto targeting.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Yuffi.2430

Yuffi.2430

No, no, no! You have it all wrong…

I’ve figured it out. The tab-targeting algorithm is based on the permanence of objects. Think about it:

• Walls and doors are always there so these are targeted first
  • Environmental creatures have a limited area to patrol and spawn frequently so you know they are very likely to be around therefore these make an excellent second priority target
  • Players – well they are sometimes there, sometimes not. Surely you can’t want to target something that keeps disappearing and moving about?

See: it’s all simple logic.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I think you’re missing the point of clones…

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Svarty.8019

Well, why not? I mean, mesmer already gets the benefit of these as walking bombs, why should they also mess up my targeting at the same time?

I have always run away from mesmers because I can’t target them. I would not be surprised if they turned out to be a HUGE reason so many people don’t play PvP.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Jana.6831

Well, why not? I mean, mesmer already gets the benefit of these as walking bombs, why should they also mess up my targeting at the same time?

Svarty is right, but this is also an issue of the players having gotten worse: back in the day I fought a condi mesmer who actually adjusted her movements to her clones – it was very hard to make out who she was. Fun fights. Nowadays no one seems to take the effort to do so for whatever reason, so it’s pretty clear who’s a clone and who’s the player.

I just switched back to auto target as hitting people small scale seemed impossible.. curious when and how I will settle.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I have always run away from mesmers because I can’t target them. I would not be surprised if they turned out to be a HUGE reason so many people don’t play PvP.

Clones exist to distract from the real Mesmer. If tab didn’t target clones, they would have no point.

Any skilled player has no issues finding and targeting the real Mesmer. I recommend you work on improving to that level.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Svarty.8019

Clones exist to distract from the real Mesmer. If tab didn’t target clones, they would have no point.

Any skilled player has no issues finding and targeting the real Mesmer. I recommend you work on improving to that level.

Despite your jibe, I shall reply with dignity.

The fact remains;

• Mesmers get to mess up your targeting.
  • The only other class to do this is thief.
    Both are annoying to fight against and for average players make the game anti-fun.

Jon Peters has a lot to answer for: #BoycottAmazonGames

(edited by Svarty.8019)

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Jana.6831

Pets/minons mess up “targeting” (not really, you can still target but might hit the mob instead of the player) – a thief usually has none but thieves guild which is rarely used.

Anyway: On topic again: Anet – Daggerstorm, my favourite skill. I switched to manual targeting and if I had someone in target I hit about 2/3 of what I used to hit with auto targeting. If I had nothing in target with manual targeting it was back to normal. Now I manage to hit nothing if not having anyone in target, if having a target I’m back to 2/3.
That can’t be. And I kid you not – tried it 3 times in blobfights today.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

There once was a time when mesmers and clones could only be determined by who had a signet or sigil stack.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Offair.2563

There once was a time when mesmers and clones could only be determined by who had a signet or sigil stack.

That’s still the case, count ghalls/food buffs on it too.

Targetting is horrid

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

I do wish stupid stuff like gates and walls wouldn’t come up as next target. I’d rather it stick to rotating between targets that are actively trying to kill me.