Team Chat? Really?

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

Most of your QoL updates have been great. I don’t see this being good at all. This is gonna cause so much confusion as to what’s going on. For example. Imagine 3 maps that are calling out scout reports. “10 SWC.” Which map? Dunno. Plus, all the random conversations going on across 4 maps? Nothing will make sense. Now, yeah, you might say use map chat, but almost no one does that because we get suppressed.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Just have to limit local calls and chatter to map chat, major calls to team, and add which bl on team calls, gbl rbl bbl.

Or maybe use all caps on major defense calls. RBL HILLS 35+ BG OUTER DOWN

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Think I will give this a little time to adjust to before I shed tears over it. But then again I am not one to shed tears over every little change….

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

/m still works, /t was totally redundant before.

This saves the requirement of moving to another map to call in reinforcements when you can’t afford to send any bodies even for the 15 seconds.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Think I will give this a little time to adjust to before I shed tears over it. But then again I am not one to shed tears over every little change….

That might actually be what starts to irritate people, because as time goes by they have to keep typing out which map every time, or have someone constantly ask which map if nobody states it in the initial callout. Not to mention the extra clutter in chat, you might be seeing a bunch of stuff in chat that has nothing to do with what is going on in your map. While this might sound like a good change at first, it might end up having the opposite effect over time.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

That might actually be what starts to irritate people, because as time goes by they have to keep typing out which map every time, or have someone constantly ask which map if nobody states it in the initial callout. Not to mention the extra clutter in chat, you might be seeing a bunch of stuff in chat that has nothing to do with what is going on in your map. While this might sound like a good change at first, it might end up having the opposite effect over time.

It very well could, but I’m not going headhunting for Dev’s just yet….

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

Players will adapt over time.

This will allow scouts to call for help across maps at the cost of specifying the map. Currently the scout would need to either hop maps, thus losing vision to relay further information, whisper a specific person they know is part of a running squad, or use a communication system outside of the game such as server voice comms. None of those are very good solutions.

This will also allow commanders to advertise their squad and voice comms across maps so that more people will get in voice comms.

The thing that needs to be fixed is people using team chat to have irrelevant conversations because that is players causing a problem and not ANets fault.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

People will learn to call local stuff in mapchat and global stuff in teamchat.
This is not a problem because of the change, but because of the bad scout calls.

Pumpkin – Mag

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

X T D.6458

Players will adapt over time.

This will allow scouts to call for help across maps at the cost of specifying the map. Currently the scout would need to either hop maps, thus losing vision to relay further information, whisper a specific person they know is part of a running squad, or use a communication system outside of the game such as server voice comms. None of those are very good solutions.

This will also allow commanders to advertise their squad and voice comms across maps so that more people will get in voice comms.

The thing that needs to be fixed is people using team chat to have irrelevant conversations because that is players causing a problem and not ANets fault.

Those are good points, having to leave a map to make a call was really annoying.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I am going to guess they’re doing a drinking game regarding these posts.

Anyway, I’m turning Team off for a while and letting everybody else fight over whether it remains a spamchat or becomes useful x-map info channel.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

So, yeah, this might have been a good idea if it was thought of a bit more. It would be better if a new chat was created, something like “scout chat,” and made a different color, like green. That would be great.

People will not learn and adapt, because there are tons of new players. Lots of poeple just like to actually “chat.” While WvWers will try to adapt, it’s still gonna be a mess cause there’s a ton of casuals. I think most of us will probably just turn chat off during prime time hours.

Also, I noticed that the skirmish timer has been updated to indicate the minutes over an hour. That wasn’t in the patch notes, but it’s a good change.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

(edited by Spurnshadow.3678)

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I’m honestly impressed that people will find something to complain about with this change. It’s a great change and one that has been needed for a long long long long long long time, especially after megaservers destroyed “server community”.

Next, I suppose, it is Anet’s fault that scouts don’t include numbers in their callouts.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

This has been asked for by players for years. People will just need to learn to adapt.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

did anet relax the chat spam filter on map chat so that commanders can drive locally without getting squelched?

Little red Lioka

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

People will learn to call local stuff in mapchat and global stuff in teamchat.
This is not a problem because of the change, but because of the bad scout calls.

But it’s easier to blame arena net than educate players.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Just takes time… people will adapt and learn to prefix or suffix there calls in chat with the maps. This is probably one of the best QoL features that should have been available at launch. If it was, lazy communications would not really be a thing right now, outside of brand new players who are getting used to WvW. Still exists… I mean people tend to forget #‘s, opponent, or specific area they are attacking at said objective but good players will make good calls, while people who do not have strong communication skills, will need to learn to improve, or keep making poor calls. I generally won’t even go to assist someone if they can’t provide adequate information to make the call to move or not. Just because something is being attacked, does not mean the zerg has to engage on every instance. But no one would know if they don’t call it out.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

X T D.6458

I’m honestly impressed that people will find something to complain about with this change. It’s a great change and one that has been needed for a long long long long long long time, especially after megaservers destroyed “server community”.

Next, I suppose, it is Anet’s fault that scouts don’t include numbers in their callouts.

Bad guys over there, best scout call.

It’s a good change yes, will just take some time to adapt to.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

“Map” chat if you want to chat in the map.
“Team” chat if you want to chat with the team.

I just wonder why it took 4 years, nothing to complain about there.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: flarezi.9381

flarezi.9381

This is the best change to WvW since … ever

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

Yes great idea, but it would be really nice if they would put a BL identifier in front of the messages. Would definitely make it easier than to try to get everyone using Team to add the BL name/id to each and every message they enter.

… just call me … Tim :)

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

/m was always pleb chat
/t was for srs chat

But since the alliances/mergers….people haven’t used them in that way. So yes it was redundant.

Honestly it is gonna take some adjusting. Alot of people are gonna get muted is all I can say…lol.

The reaction time of people though has been insane. Call for backup at fire keep? TONS of people show up….it should make pug commanding alot easier tbh.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Bolita.2071

Bolita.2071

It’s good to be able to call for help across the maps via team chat. I like the change, but do agree there should be a short marker to indicate the map it’s from.

Map chat will be just that, as long as there are no longer temporary blocks for excessive messaging as there used to be.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

My favorite is “Inc on me!”

Erm…

I’m happy for this change – even though it’s going to take some time to get folks to remember to tell us what map they are on.

After all, we’re still trying to get size, activity, location, and guild tag…

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

X T D.6458

My favorite is “Inc on me!”

Erm…

I’m happy for this change – even though it’s going to take some time to get folks to remember to tell us what map they are on.

After all, we’re still trying to get size, activity, location, and guild tag…

LOL yes. It will be really nice though not to have to leave a map to contact a group to come help, really hated that. Or to minimize the game and hop ts channels to ask for assistance.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

This is something we have needed for ages and people still whinge! Go figure. Its pretty simple use map chat for that map and team chat across all maps identifying the map you mean, this is the way it always should have been, what would be the point of having a new chat when team and map chat cover the same area?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

(edited by morrolan.9608)

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

Oh no! People are going to have to learn how to type good informative scout reports!?!??!!

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Is it really too hard to engage the brain and put RBL, GBL, BBL, or EB at the beginning or end of a request for help?

This change is something that should have happened 3 years ago.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

I thinks it a great add. People will get used to it and block lists will grow.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

easy fix anet automatically prefaces the message with where it came from
[blue bl] bla blah blah
[ebg] blah blah

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

(edited by Liston.9708)

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

I like it. Crossover chat.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

X T D.6458

I liked it last night, first thing I did was say hello to everyone across wvw. My favorite part is no longer having to leave a map to get help that’s just awesome.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Kamsin.8541

Kamsin.8541

/t out of control

it needs improvements :

+ only commander/lieutenant (5ppl group/squad minimum ?) can speak
+ add a tag map (EB, green, blue, red) to clarify
+ add some special alerts, bell (commander, lieutenant or tactic control) when fort are attacked…
+…. add your suggestion

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

So if a scout isn’t on the chat it can’t talk? Oh well, I don’t think anyone cares about my reports anyway…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Gismor.8407

Gismor.8407

How hard is it to add “Mag bl” “TC bl” “EBG” “BGBL” or whatever to the end of a scout call in team chat.

[EK] Guild leader → Retired
Friend Gismor – 80 Revenant
“Always outnumbered, never outgunned.”

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

X T D.6458

So if a scout isn’t on the chat it can’t talk? Oh well, I don’t think anyone cares about my reports anyway…

I care! Long as they are inaccurate because you are the enemy

And seriously people need to stop looking at tags and squads as some kind of tool to exclude others.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Honestly I think changing the colour would be enough. Having two red chats is confusing enough

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

It’s a good change, people will get used to it.

Two minor code changes I can think of that would make it better.

1. Prefix each team chat message with shorthand abbreviation of the originating map.

[JQBL] message 1
[BGBL] message 2
[EB] message 3

This will reinforce in people’s minds that it is a global chat, save the scout typing it out every time and stop people whinging that the scout didn’t relay the borderland designation in their scout report.

2. Change the aggressive suppression rules of map chat to match those the relaxed rules for team chat.

People are used to using /t because suppression rules are less strict, commanders will switch back to /m if they don’t get suppressed. Some non-English speaking commanders on our server use entirely text macros so they can’t afford to be suppressed.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

LOL no, bad idea.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Pelto.9364

Pelto.9364

Some months ago Gunnar’s Hold created community guild CC for cross-map communication. It has worked ok without any extra features.

Don’t write tags because they are not natural. Just write “home garri” or “dl bl bay” or “we capping dl bl bay, need help”. Write longer if not used to short versions.

My suggestion: Team chat could work when the player is in pve/spvp side. GH community guild chat can reach players not in wvw, and that has been useful in important calls and in general whining about the server situation.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Team chat’s great, just either block the people using it poorly or turn it off until the community has learned how to effectively use it.

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

/s is a say wide chat /m is a map wide chat why is it odd that /t is a team wide chat? It was more odd that /t and /m where effectually the same chat for all these years. If a player is calling out with out giving info that more on them not on any one else.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

I wouldn’t limit it to commanders and lieutenants, squads are not generally multimap positioned. At best, you have a float group moving between home bl defenses and ebg later in the evening.

If a random player from the server who is … say doing his vet wurm and see’s forces on home bl bay… and they place a call in map chat: BlueBL: 20+ YB wurm gate outer Bay… can’t see gate %. – i would give this guy props. He may not be in TS, he may not be in any squad … but he … put out an all call in team chat to let those know who may want to come and respond/assist. Sure it’s the commanders call whether to bring his force or not, but limiting access to information sharing is counter productive to the game mode.

Should i get the commanders and lieutenants to sit in my chair and play for me too? No. We need things like this build for the server, not for the commander.

Team Chat? Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

Its a good thing to have but an additional chat channel for it would have been better. This way people wouldn’t need to disable team chat just for WvW. They could PvP without having to change their chat filters back and forth all the time.

Maguuma Guardian