Thank you SoS

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: BOA smid.1783

BOA smid.1783

I just want to post a thank you to the server of SoS. I came into the season a PvE’er acheivement hunter with an uplevel warrior just looking to finish the acheivements and run back to my hidey hole. Thanks to the players and commanders on the server, I’ve come out of the season a WvW addict with a huge desire to learn, improve and be able to come out of more then just a couple of outmanned fights alive and surrounded by bagged shinies. So thank you for putting up with this noob and answering my ever so stupid, basic questions. It’s been a fun season for me and I look forward to seeing you all on the map in the future!

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

Hey, you’ve been great. I’ve seen you running around quite a bit lately and I would have never thought you were a newbie to WvW if you hadn’t said so.

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Rhongomyniad.5081

Rhongomyniad.5081

Welcome to the best end-game GW2 has to offer!

Thank you SoS

in WvW

BOA smid.1783

Haha total noob. I actually JUST got (last night) the last 2 jumping puzzles from WvW due to the metaevent cause I was too scared to venture onto the servers to get them. I’m THAT noob. I maybe came in a few times during the past year, fired an arrow cart or two and then ran back to PvE-dom and threw a blanket over my head lol. So, by all means, throw ideas at me when you see me running around and screwing up haha. All critiques welcome.

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

I’m really glad to see posts like this. Who knows, maybe, just maybe one day WvW will be what the majority of gw2 population plays. Imagine all he new stuff Anet would introduce more often

Commander Nachonix

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Super Kruegs.8967

Super Kruegs.8967

Posts/people like this are the reason why despite every hardcore W3 players complaints leagues were good for our game mode. I remember when i first went to W3 it was crazy as kitten, but i grew to love it and it’s all i play now. The player base is bigger now and that’s good for the game. APs were needed in W3 to get new players to try it out, and when they did many learned what we’ve known for a long time. W3 is GW2 endgame.

FA [WS]. Small group fights since 2012

Thank you SoS

in WvW

BOA smid.1783

The achievements were definitely a drive to get me in the door and stick around past the initial “OMG look at all those red blobs!” phase. That and finding a character that was more suited to how I wanted to play. I love my necro, I think it owns in PvE (only in my humble opinion of course) but I got so steamrolled the first time or two I tried to do anything I said screw this and ran for the closest exit as fast as my minions could carry me. I’ve seen a lot of posts that talk down about the current system and I can totally see the frustration of you old pros, but I guess the silver lining to it is that it has gained you a player that will most happily stick around past the end of the season and on into the future, whatever it might hold.

It’s been a nice outlet for me as well. Due to my crazy sense of loyalty I’m stuck in a guild that boasts a current active member list of 2-3, including myself. The rest of the guildies have long since hit the boredom wall and wandered off to other games, only to drop in on the first day of whatever new metaevent hits and then wander back out. So it’s nice to find something that allows me to play with active players for the same cause instead of wandering aimlessly on the map testing how many NPCs I can take on before I get squished to oblivion.

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

I’ll probably add to this saying the commanders have been great in SoS, its been a tough season going up against four stacked servers where you are constantly outnumbered but they have stuck it out and made a good go of it. It must of been frustrating for them at times. /salute.

All I hope for now is Mag and SoS to drop down to silver so we aren’t swamped by these bigger servers and we can have some good close even matches.

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

This is the best server recruitment post SoS could ever have. It says a lot about their community.

I love reading posts like the OPs.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

Well on the flip-side, I enjoyed WvW for the first few weeks on Sea of Sorrows before I found out the abhorrent faults in the game style that let it down a great deal.

After putting in close to 100 hours this season, it felt disgusting and horrid running from point to point endlessly, watching one side of the map be taken while we equally went ahead and took the other side of the map, or sit there while a much larger zerg just obliterated everything we could muster.

This isn’t at fault of SoS. The game style needs significant improvements itself.

I did come to learn which were the bad commanders, who often just lead us around the map running 15 minutes at a time before waypointing and doing it again. It was easy enough for me to head elsewhere though.
Then there were those who would “work with” blackgate or JQ “arranging it” so we would not attack them while they attacked TC or SoR or whoever. This was infuriating enough for me to just leave and not look back. I can see commanding is hard, but that isn’t being a commander.

There were good commanders also.. one US guy I will call out (commander bibbibby or something I remember) who was really great to follow on teamspeak. Fantastic team work, with sound logic behind tactical attacks (speed stacks, veils, split groups, open wall breaches) led us to quite a few excellent victories while severely outnumbered. This was very enjoyable!

After the first few weeks play though, I had had enough. Season 1 got me in, but I very sincerely doubt I will be back for Season 2, given the WvW knowledge I have gained.

/endofstory.

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

this is awesome. : ))) glad you’ve found such a great server and people to WvW with.

remember, everyone started somewhere. one of the most important things, even before having willing teachers / vets, is having a willing mind to learn and experience yourself. you’ve gone out there and proven yourself. who knows, in no time you may be teaching the ropes to someone else who is new to WvW. ; ))

keep it up!

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Le Rooster.8715

Le Rooster.8715

As a active SoS commander, i have nothing but great things to say about the militia that loyally follow us from day in day out. The matchups have been tough but overall attitude has still been great as if we were winning, if you end up ever following my command let me know =).

Roosters Inc-Team Shatter [TS] Commander
Sea of Sorrows http://www.gw2sos.com/index.php

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Our commanders do a great job – they are far more patient than i could ever be, especially going up against servers that crush us night in and night out – makes you wanna rage quit sometimes.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

The achievements were definitely a drive to get me in the door and stick around past the initial “OMG look at all those red blobs!” phase.

Season 1 League has split the W3 community into haters and lovers – but it looks like to me that the League lovers have just edged past the winning line. I’ve noticed a shift on my server – before the league we were heading towards melt-down. The W3 achievements have changed all that – and with careful management, we will start to build up our community again (please note – not mentioning my server since that’s by-the-by. It isn’t SOS though).

The influx of new players was a hugely welcome development. And that’s a great thing for us all! So thank you, Noobie! Good to have you with us!

I love my necro, I think it owns in PvE (only in my humble opinion of course) but I got so steamrolled the first time or two I tried to do anything I said screw this and ran for the closest exit as fast as my minions could carry me.

Don’t give up on your Necro yet! I started out as a Ranger across all of GW2, came to W3 and did just what you did as a Necro. I switched to Necro and never looked back! Get the right gear, right weapons and you’ll be amazed at what can be achieved. Get used to being steamrolled when you’re on your own but for duels, a Necro is up there with the rest of the classes. IN a zerg, the Necro is an integral part of the good commander’s strategy. In group fights, the first person who is targeted is the Necro; for good reason.

Blood

Blood
(I have to know! In WvW, do Legendary NPCs drop Legendary loot?)

Thank you SoS

in WvW

BOA smid.1783

Didn’t plan it being a recruitment post haha, although I guess it can come across that way! Just wanted to say thanks more then anything since I’ve found a new kind of fun in the game.

Le Rooster, I think you and I were running around last night with Luvpie raiding TC areas on EB (and having WAY too much fun doing it lol). I’m a closet lurker on TS and tend to end up following either him or Jorg as they are usually the main commanders on during my hours of play. Plus neither seem to get to the point of threatening to throw me out of their groups on my butt, so I’ll try to keep a good thing going as long as I can lol.

And I haven’t given up on my necro, if anything now that I’ve finally truly gotten my feet wet to what WvW CAN be, I want to learn how to be effective with all my toons in there. The warrior just helped me get past the “OMG RUN AWAY!” stage. It was actually an uplevel for much of my time in there too lol (I used WvW to level it up instead of slaving through the same PvE storyline for an 8th time).

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Phedre Scion.1520

Phedre Scion.1520

BOA smid-you are the exact person I mentioned before saying achievements were good in the long run. We needed the PVE crowd to get a good taste and not be afraid of being afraid. I also think our commander’s were very good communicating to those that came in seeing us getting rolled to relax and have fun-we were in matches that we wouldn’t win-but learn and have fun.

Thank you SoS

in WvW

BOA smid.1783

At least for me…I wasn’t so much upset about getting rolled…ok…I was….but I was by myself and clueless too, so a terrible combination all together. I think I deemed myself incapable of being effective, either due to build, noobness, play style, all of the above. Usually I ended up dead before I got very far on running away too and that was totally frustrating to me. My guildies can attest for me (when you are lucky to catch them online, good luck btw lol), I get totally frustrated when I feel like I’m the weakest link in a group. And since I really had no reason (i.e acheivements..I mean really…who doesn’t like those pretty chests every 500 points?), I just kept saying…oh I’ll try later, maybe later, nah not now I have acheivements to get!

Now I get home and the moment I sign in I’m hopping in to WvW. I was so into the game last night I forgot to eat dinner til almost midnight. WvW Anonymous anyone? Hi I’m smid….and I have a problem….

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Rosy.5194

Rosy.5194

Awesome post.

I too think the WvW achievements (despite some of them being too insanely high, I’m looking at you yak/sentry killer) were a good idea overall. I am less certain about the way the league split happened. I do think it’s possible to hate leagues and yet like the achievement. There was no real reason that the achievement meta had to be tied to a league; it’s just a length of time, after all.

Rosy Dawn – [CNB]

Thank you SoS

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

I wasn’t a big fan of the season and look forward to not seeing Tier 1 again for a while.
That being said, I’m glad we got so many new people interested in W3 on SoS and I think people are going to be very stoked going into the post-season.
If anything, I’m worried about how many that have been dipping their toes in will get really fired up when we start getting winnable matches again. We could start seeing some crazy sized groups.