That stealth nurf you've all been calling for

in WvW

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

So the state of the game for February-March patches has been discussed and;

“Revealed will now be applied when you come out of stealth, regardless of how you stealthed” – Karl McLain

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru/b/377719641 (0:58)

The March patch is going to hit Thiefs very hard with both the culling fix and the stealth nurf.

Thoughts?

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

in WvW

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Meh. I’ll still own people. If you can’t counter a BS thief before patch, you won’t be able to now. Trash pugs will still be trash pugs, and I will still feed on their tears after ripping them a new one.

in WvW

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

As a thief player, this along with the bug fixes to stealth is all i’ve ever thought needed to be done to fix stealth issues entirely.

many thief playstyles rely on stealth more than anything else, any more than this would just be heavy handed pendulum balancing.

-Desirz Matheon

(edited by fivekiller.1432)

in WvW

Posted by: Nuvo.5014

Nuvo.5014

Any1 know if this will affect the Mesmer Stealth

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I personally see culling/nerf as a buff to my thief gameplay. Why? Because most of my deaths are from mesmers stacking veil okittenerg with warriors in the front line who drop me instantly. Now I don’t have to worry about instant death. I have the freedom to outplay my opponent, which is what I want.

(edited by sostronk.8167)

in WvW

sostronk.8167

Yes it will. Veil is what is being nerfed here as far as I am concerned.

in WvW

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Honestly what the hell? Even when it runs out? That’s gonna hurt badly

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in WvW

Posted by: SilvSonic.2691

SilvSonic.2691

I dont think this is fair for stealth theives that thrive on it. I mean people use its nbot only for a sneak attack Anet!!

Xamhood: ranger pride and joy.
guard,mes,thief,ele,engi, warr sidekicks.
The World isnt fair. the same can apply to a game

in WvW

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

Yes, this is affecting ALL stealths. A logical guess would be unless you stack the stealth durations (one stealth skill whilst still in stealth) you will be revealed.

This shouldn’t affect the Veil gank if your a coordinated team, as long as each Mesmers Veils are within 4 seconds of each other (travel time)

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

(edited by Ascii.9726)

in WvW

Posted by: Nuvo.5014

Nuvo.5014

I don’t see how this fix anything. The only problem now with the stealth is the culling not the skill. I think anet is making a big mistake here. (I play a guardian as a main)

in WvW

sostronk.8167

Yes, this is affecting ALL stealths. A logical guess would be unless you stack the stealth durations (one stealth skill whilst still in stealth) you will be revealed.

This shouldn’t affect the Veil gank if your a coordinated team, as long as each Mesmers Veils are within 4 seconds of each other (travel time)

The change effects veil because there is a debuff on stealthing again, so it will need to be more than 4 seconds. With culling removed and the debuff it means you can no longer run through the back line of a zerg without being seen.

in WvW

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I don’t see how this fix anything. The only problem now with the stealth is the culling not the skill. I think anet is making a big mistake here. (I play a guardian as a main)

They really are, I can already come up with a common scenario that will absolutely destroy us now.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in WvW

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Honestly, that’s what I thought revealed should have worked like to begin with. Soon as stealth runs out, you’re “revealed”, so you should get it, and that prevents spamming stealth. Of course I do understand that thieves are balanced around strong stealth and hopefully they’ll get some decent buffs in other areas to make up for it.

in WvW

Posted by: wish.3102

wish.3102

Nerfing mug, always revealed when stealth drops, all while adding nothing. This after the food nerf so it’s much harder to stay alive. I imagine I will be quitting GW2. Which is kinda sad, but what’s the point when my kitten as kitten class that can only do 1 thing well keeps getting nerfed, and now can’t even do that one thing anymore.

Jade Quarry. RNG/THF/GRD/WAR
SovietSpaceDogs[SSD]

in WvW

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

The change effects veil because there is a debuff on stealthing again, so it will need to be more than 4 seconds. With culling removed and the debuff it means you can no longer run through the back line of a zerg without being seen.

to clarify, unless something has changed. the reveal debuff lasts 4 second after leaving stealth, not entering it. so there is no amount of proper timing that will give continuous stealth.

sostronk is correct, just making sure the mechanic is clear.

-Desirz Matheon

in WvW

Posted by: Forestgreen.7981

Forestgreen.7981

All these thief criers complaining they can’t come out of stealth stab me for 2 seconds before I can even target them and restealthing 2 seconds later? Currently it takes me 0.5 seconds to retarget a thief when he unstealths so all I get is 1.5 seconds to deal damage because of culling. Sorry, there’s a reason why no one calls a thief broken in sPvP and broken in WvW.

in WvW

wish.3102

A Sorry, there’s a reason why no one calls a thief broken in sPvP and broken in WvW.

So with culling fixed in this update as well, you agree that this nerf to THF is going to far right? Because it will be just like sPVP.

SovietSpaceDogs[SSD]

in WvW

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

If this does indeed happen and thieves start dropping dead everywhere cause they can’t chainstealth and can’t abuse culling anymore, i sure hope they wait about 6 months aswell before buffing the thief

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

in WvW

wish.3102

If this does indeed happen and thieves start dropping dead everywhere cause they can’t chainstealth and can’t abuse culling anymore, i sure hope they wait about 6 months aswell before buffing the thief

That sounds like a good way to lose whatever percentage of your player base plays THF.

SovietSpaceDogs[SSD]

in WvW

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

That sounds like a good way to lose whatever percentage of your player base plays THF.

It would give them time to L2P

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: XxNuggetxX.7823

XxNuggetxX.7823

Im not sure? i have 1v1ed many a thief in wvw. the problem was culling, not seeing them in big team/zerg fights.

Im not sure the “revealed” is needed? but meh maby this will show some Thieves/Mesmer that they have been OP and to lern how to play/level onother class

XnuggetX: 80 Engineer – Nuggetxxx: 80 Gardian
Bloody Swagmen[BS], Fergs Night Crew.
Senior Member, Commander Tag.

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I’m sure it’s not completely aimed at us anyway we can still use stealth skills as we want without perhaps stacking but still we get revealed if we attack anyway, all you qq’ers hoping they will make all us thieves even skilled ones more vulnerable so you can farm us as squishy as we are without being properly geared and traited you are going to be surprised. I sure hope they intend to buff and nerf other stuff considered OP and to balance things out.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: Chainspell.5697

Chainspell.5697

You don’t understand, Thief and Mesmers are the pros of this game obviously the people who plays the other classes was the ones who needs to l2p. Now this nerf will make it so the pros would leave since the other classes are too noob and therefore lack any skills at all to play whatsoever.

in WvW

Posted by: boondocksaint.6529

boondocksaint.6529

Another important point is that they said they will be granting them even more mobility so they they do not have to only relay on the short bow.

in WvW

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

glad I play a venom share build….

But seriously, with the end of culling AND adding the revealed debuff to any exit of stealth even if you dont use an attack seems excessive. Wouldn’t it be logical to see how the end of culling affects the stealth mechanic in WvW before adding another layer of nerf to an already nerfed class.

in WvW

Posted by: Shananigans.8412

Shananigans.8412

Keep In mind that the SOTG is an entirely tpvp and spvp based discussion, the changes they’re stating MAY or MAY NOT be implemented in wvwvw because of the possible pve/wvwvw and tpvp split.

Shananigans- Team Absolute Legends
[Ark]-Ele

in WvW

Posted by: Elochai.1280

Elochai.1280

Indeed it will give them a chance to do that. It will also get ride of all the one trick ponies who can’t adapt.

Elochai Rendar 80 Warrior/Anskar Rendar 80 Necromancer/Rylea Rendar 80 Thief/Kento Rendar 80 Ranger
Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

You don’t understand, Thief and Mesmers are the pros of this game obviously the people who plays the other classes was the ones who needs to l2p. Now this nerf will make it so the pros would leave since the other classes are too noob and therefore lack any skills at all to play whatsoever.

LOL, Thief is a mindless build that takes no skill.

in WvW

Posted by: Asudementio.8526

Asudementio.8526

I’d be nice if our other builds had some teeth, but nah lets neuter stealth and turn thieves into buff bots through venom shares- great idea.

Leader of [Suh]
My moves are fresh, like my groceries.
#TeamEvonforever

in WvW

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

These changes will be good for thieves in the long run. Thieves are currently too good at noobstomping in WvW for Anet to be able to buff them in meaningful ways. I think they would love to buff a lot of thief options to become more viable in tournaments and have way more build variety. But they can’t right now because they’re just so good at making upleveled players want to uninstall.

Wouldn’t it be better to have real options against an experienced player than be able to kill a group of four level 25s at will?

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

I almost feel bad for thieves … actually … no I really don’t at all. See you in WvW.

Pun intended

in WvW

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

I’d be nice if our other builds had some teeth, but nah lets neuter stealth and turn thieves into buff bots through venom shares- great idea.

i hate warriors if played right. same with necros(always fearing me off a cliff). But there is no reason to be mean about my venom share. :*(

in WvW

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

These changes will be good for thieves in the long run. Thieves are currently too good at noobstomping in WvW for Anet to be able to buff them in meaningful ways. I think they would love to buff a lot of thief options to become more viable in tournaments and have way more build variety. But they can’t right now because they’re just so good at making upleveled players want to uninstall.

Wouldn’t it be better to have real options against an experienced player than be able to kill a group of four level 25s at will?

You have it exactly backwards. It’s the Noobs in WvW that are abusing the Thief build. They are way over-powered relative to their skill and true level. Everyone know this. I can’t believe you don’t see this.

in WvW

Posted by: itsmee.7536

itsmee.7536

dat logic….
I sure hope you’re being sarcastic.

Dijla – Charr Warrior
[GoA] Guardians of Arcane – Officer
Ruins of Surmia – Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

Keep In mind that the SOTG is an entirely tpvp and spvp based discussion, the changes they’re stating MAY or MAY NOT be implemented in wvwvw because of the possible pve/wvwvw and tpvp split.

Well kinda stupid to change stealth because of sPvP as thief’s are meh in there do to not being able to achieve main goal of the aspect of sPvP, capping. This change has to be about WvW because dmg nerf in sPvP that hit thief already was done. Plus add in fact that you can not overload stats as can in WvW thief again are not as bad as in WvW where they can have 110% crit dmg.

in WvW

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

This won’t strike good thieves
this will strike stealth abuse
this will strike invisible zergs with veil
and hide in towers 4 ever
i consider it fair, as an main thief ,but is more newbie friendly for “Bad zerg” to win against “coordinated zergs”

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

(edited by Rayya.2591)

in WvW

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

You have it exactly backwards. It’s the Noobs in WvW that are abusing the Thief build. They are way over-powered relative to their skill and true level. Everyone know this. I can’t believe you don’t see this.

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear. Because of culling and the current stealth mechanics that are going to be changed, it is much easier for an inexperienced thief player to beat an inexperienced (insert profession) player, exactly as you say. I don’t even play a thief, I just wanted to reassure people who think that thief will be nerfed to the ground.

Edit: also, the reason thieves aren’t good in tournaments isn’t because of capping. It’s because there’s no culling, and they only have one build (a few still try to build around stealth and caltrops, but that’s not very good without culling).

(edited by NevirSayDie.6235)

in WvW

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

Sounds fine to me

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

I would be fine with that.

in WvW

Posted by: Anatolian Turk.4057

Anatolian Turk.4057

why not remove stealth from the game completely? Thief’s are the only class who has been nerfed so much since launch to the point that now they became a joke. Well with this nerf, i would end my days in gw2 for good. RIP Thieves. RIP GW2

Honourable Guardian | Desolation
Arenanet killed WvW
R.I.P. WvW 2012 – 2015

(edited by Anatolian Turk.4057)

in WvW

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

As a Thief this is a fine, and a much needed change.

This change will seperate us good Thieves, from the bad flavor of the month Thieves.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

(edited by jkctmc.8754)

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Good thieves will continue to be good and bad ones will come and QQ, nothing to see here.

in WvW

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

A Sorry, there’s a reason why no one calls a thief broken in sPvP and broken in WvW.

So with culling fixed in this update as well, you agree that this nerf to THF is going to far right? Because it will be just like sPVP.

There are a lot of good thieves in s/tpvp. The near constant invis spam was insanely strong, especially when you can trait to regen health (a regen skill that stacks with the regen boon mind you), and remove conditions while in stealth. I would bring glass cannons to near death, then they disappear for 4+ seconds between actual stealth and culling, and finally reappear with full health and all conditions gone. Going 4 seconds between invis pops isn’t the ‘class breaker’ people are making it out to be. You have evades and dodges for a reason.

in WvW

Posted by: Raptorious Big.5416

Raptorious Big.5416

kitten yea!!!
can’t wait for this patch, are they buffing my warrior?

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

If it comes this is a huge nerf to thief survivability that is not entirely uncalled for.

It does seem like a bit of a lazy nerf but it will also leave room to buff (un-nerf) some of the d/d and s/d skills, 4 out of 5 of which have already been hit. It might also shift more thieves away from the stealth line to the evasion line.

Ironically, this won’t do a thing to address the much QQ’ed about D/P ‘permastealth’ build as it never needs to exit stealth.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

in WvW

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

Good thieves, who don’t depend on perma-stealth, won’t get affected much, but the bandwagon thieves, who depend a lot on the perma-stealth and only dare to attack/bully upleveled players or troll the citadels, will get affected.

This update is a good move to separate the good thieves from the bad/bandwagoned/failed ones.

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Derelyk.2719

Derelyk.2719

I’ve put alot of thought into this, and I’m ok with it.

just an fyi

Lizsy Borden (wvw): Darkhaven

in WvW

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

I think it would be better to wait and see what they actually will do.
You may be disappointed.
It’s a sPvP interview and he said “regardless of how you stealth” not “regardless if you do damage or not”.
Dunno….

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

Ironically, this won’t do a thing to address the much QQ’ed about D/P ‘permastealth’ build as it never needs to exit stealth.

It will do a lot to the D/P build because the strength of the build comes from either landing the backstab, or failing that having your initiative regenerate enough to enter stealth again. With this new change, not landing your backstab will still net you the revealed debuff, with no option to stealth again. The problem with D/P isn’t that it can stay in stealth forever, it’s that it can just keep stealthing over and over again. This kind of solves that problem.

Although of course it hits the silly CnD spammers most.

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

It will do a lot to the D/P build because the strength of the build comes from either landing the backstab, or failing that having your initiative regenerate enough to enter stealth again. With this new change, not landing your backstab will still net you the revealed debuff, with no option to stealth again. The problem with D/P isn’t that it can stay in stealth forever, it’s that it can just keep stealthing over and over again. This kind of solves that problem.

Although of course it hits the silly CnD spammers most.

This wasn’t my experience when trying the build. Landing a hit from stealth isn’t the hard part, it’s landing BS in the BACK for the bonus damage that’s the tricky part (at least for me, and against a not-clueless opponent that knows they need to be facing you).

Though not my style, I found the strengths of the D/P build in having unconditional stealth that can be refreshed while still in stealth (hence bypassing the nerf) and also having a long duration pulse-blind field that counters any melee attacks before re-stealthing. The only difference is there will be tighter timing involved in staying stealth which shouldn’t affect any good players. In the event you do exit stealth you have a pulsing blind that will be protecting you until you’re ready to reenter stealth.

Maybe I’m just good at timing (which makes it easy to fight against thieves as well) but I don’t see how D/P thief will be affected.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube