The 3W match 24h active window. Is it right?

in WvW

Posted by: Aless.5376

Aless.5376

It’s a topic that was, is and will be discussed. You all know the problem: Is it right to have the 3W matchup opened non-stop?
To me it’s a bit unfair because at this moment the result of the matchup doesn’t actually show which of the three worlds was better, it only shows who had a better night coverage. Take my 3W match for example. At the reset, the score between FSP, RS and DESO was very close but when I joined WvW the next day I saw RS very far ahead vs the other two servers.
It all happened because during the night and morning they had a zerg of around 30 people that uncontested capped everything. Practically 12 hours was theirs. It’s not that they have people that don’t sleep during the night, it’s that they have people from non-EU timezones playing on EU time. Their day is our night.
ArenaNet are you ok with what is happening right now in WvW? because if you do I then will really doubt your whole process of reasoning, your idea of right and wrong, of good and bad. What I brought to discussion is the 3W’s biggest problem right now. You have to come with a solution.
For my part, my proposed solution is a limited WvWvW active window during the DAY. You have to exclude the NIGHT because those points make the biggest difference while they are gained very easy and many times without any opposition. Understand that we are humans and we have to sleep and that not all servers have night people. Choose opening and closing hours for 3W during the DAY. It’s simple and yet it solves three problems instantly. It will create more fair matchups and it will force people to play their natural timezones. Also because during those active hours some servers will have very big q’s will force people to migrate to other more empty servers and create a more balanced player distribution.
I already wrote too much but this problem had to be addressed. I like the 3W but not the way it is right now but the way it could be. Please consider my proposal.

in WvW

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Your DAY is some other servers night.
East coast US vs West coast US: 5 hrs time diff – your day is someone else’s night.
Europe vs US: 5 hr time diff.

Best thing that could happen is merge US&Eu servers and then you all would have day coverage for the periods. But the likelihood of that happening is well low.

Would be nice then allow a district based pick EU or US maps to play on (WvW it flips US→EU server in background at a specific time period: downtime like 1 min/day: so best pings possible).

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

in WvW

Aless.5376

Choose a reference timezone that is characteristic to each region and set the active window around it. In my opinion for EU a correct reference timezone is +1 and for NA -6 or -7. About the specific active limits from 10 PM to 1 PM the next day will be great (so we have 15 active hours and 9 non-active which are the unbalanced night and early morning hours).

in WvW

Posted by: SailorSpira.9371

SailorSpira.9371

How about we close WvW during my nights and open it during my days? Then you won’t have to worry about it because you won’t be able to play.

Stop making assumptions about what “night capping” is. You arn’t logged on you can’t see what’s happening.

Yes it’s often a different play style, but just because we don’t have map ques doesn’t mean no one is playing. Just because you lost all your T3 stuff doesn’t mean we didn’t spend hours fighting over it.

Just play the game and enjoy it. Let others do the same.

FA [CC]

in WvW

Aless.5376

Guys I really don’t understand you. 15 hours is more than enough playtime. Why you must be so biased only because you are in the position of a nightcapper. Tell me do you have any fun in fighting unguarded doors and walls all night long? Don’t you want some bit of a challenge when doing that and here I am not referring at NPCs.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Just close wvw when i log. Thanks. No im not selfish.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

This has been discussed soooo many times before and it always come back to one thing: should the PPT be worth the same when 20 people are playing as when 600 people are playing?

Before the skirmishes the answer was simple. No. No it should not. That’s why we saw scores snowballing during the EU nights and it was a core issue with the scoring system. During primetime in intense 3 way fights with activity far exceeding the night, points could be at a near standstill while at nights servers dominated. This was unfair by design because a server cant help if 10 nightowls clear an entire border in 30 minutes. Very few people had a major impact on the matchup.

After skirmishes, this changed though. Now a win at night is the same as a win during the day. The problem however remain the same – should a skirmish when 20 people are online be worth the same as a skirmish when 600 people are online? I would still argue no. No it should not. I still think that score gains should scale with total WvW population. For skirmishes, for example that would mean that if at “night” (ie population <25% or something no matter the hour), a skirmish might be 3/2/1. But at “day” (population >75%) maybe its 6/4/2 instead. That said skirmishes already balance it out far better than pure PPT so honestly I no longer care about that too much.

What I think currently ruin the balance is the snowballing points from tier upgrades. The score bonuses are absolutely ridiculous and make it very hard for to make a comeback against entrenched T2-3 servers (ie what the dominating server has worked on during the offtimes).

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Why is your playtime worth more than someone else that isn’t in you time zone?

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Aless.5376

Here’s another example. While we (FSP) were at most 5 people online on all borders at 8 PM in the morning (GMT+2 or 6 PM London time)) there were more than 30 RS uncontested capping our T3 homeborder garrison. Not funny. Not funny at all!
Easy points, easy win. I wonder why does the match score exist in the first place since it means nothing.

Attachments:

(edited by Aless.5376)

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Why is your playtime worth more than someone else that isn’t in you time zone?

Exactly. Thats why nightcapping was so broken before skirmishes, their playtime was worth so much more 03:00 than it was 19:00 for the other 99% of the playerbase.

Wait thats what you meant right? Because people have always had the silly tendancy to apply it to primetime players instead for no logical reason.

As I said, skirmishes balance out this alot better but within them the passive ticks of tier upgrades remain wonky. This apply to both off- and primetime. “Defending” a T3 keep against no one for 5 ticks give you 100 PPT in total. Actually defending a T0 keep against two 50 man zergs at the same time give you 40 PPT in the same amount of ticks.

We always complain about the passive skill dominance of HoT elites when it comes to WvW balance but everyone is oddly quiet about passive tier bonuses…

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Here’s another example. While we (FSP) were at most 5 people online on all borders at 8 PM in the morning (GMT+2 or 6 PM London time)) there were more than 30 RS uncontested capping our T3 homeborder garrison. Not funny. Not funny at all!
Easy points, easy win. I wonder why does the match score exist in the first place since it means nothing.

Actually 6 am is the last hour when its dead in EU, so there’s 3 skirmishes that are throwaway out of 12 (midnight to 6 am GMT). Nighttime coverage was considerably more important with 1-2-3 scoring because 2nd place felt good against big nightcrews. But yeah, its just 3 points, 4 if you consider that they will win next one due to t3 stuff. On the other hand if you reset everything before midnight from them, it will be 3 again. So in average, its 3 points.

I will give you a simple tip, 5 people can easily outscore one 15 man group, you just spread in 2-3 groups and build golems on each border and keep their map wooden, you cant do this if the enemy map is already t3. and of course your comm need to wake up before they flip your t3 Garri and eb keep

Now if you’re outnumbered more than 3 times, of course the enemy will win the skirmish; you’re sleeping, so you will have more people awake at day, so you will gain the score back during the day.

Maybe hire a nightcrew if you care about score more than fun, sure there’s NA west coasters interested in fighting riverside and joining FSP blobs during NA daytime?

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

(edited by Threather.9354)

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

My comment wasn’t directed to you Dawdler but the OP.
Skirmishes did a lot to dial down the overnight runaway points and I think it was the right direction to go with that. They still have the option to implement the hot time zone bonuses if you want to push them for that.

I’m not really for it because I don’t like the thinking of players that want to limit points outside of their play time, because their own server has less players and therefore cannot compete to earn those points but they want to make sure everyone in those zones get slapped with a penalty.

Sure maybe the time zones with the most players could be earning more points, but really those time zones will also still come down to whomever has the most online and taking stuff. Is there even any servers that get 4 map queues? if not servers will still have imbalance of population and coverage, just not as noticeable in prime time.

WvW is a 24/7 game, should 4 hours be worth more than 20 hours of the day? At the end of the day, who cares? it’s just points and that’s not even the real problem of wvw these days, trying to make additional changes to the points system is not going to fix wvw.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Aless.5376

Threather,
It’s Sunday. It’s 10:35 PM (+2). We’re [Outnumbered].
I don’t care about score that much because at this moment it only shows who has a better night team.
You can’t be serious with your “hire a nightcrew” solution.

in WvW

Threather.9354

its 10:35 am at sunday, and no1 online? I think that’s more of an issue of your server dying. FSP is has massive numbers, if bez or any cool kid would tag up, they would get 30+ people.

Well if you’re normally awake at this time, why not become a morning commander, and take matters in your own hands? People wont log in at mornings if there’s no regular morning commander, just doing weekends would be enough ^^. Also riverside is dead around daytime during week for like 8am-4pm GMT, do you suggest they ought to qq on forums about it?

Riverside also is a german server, and they can only outnumber enemy during mornings and weekends. There’s this strange trait about Germans that they like waking up at 5 am to pvd pvd pvd before going out to do some stuff, and they go to bed earlier, think its a cultural thing. The server has had regular commanders for night/morning always so obviously they can muster more numbers.

(edited by Threather.9354)

in WvW

Aless.5376

They started to join so we’re around 20 atm. Just took down the 40 RS.
It’s understandable not to care too much about WvW since you go to sleep leaving a tight match and join the next day seeing the other server gaining an undeserved advantage. Why would they join?

in WvW

Threather.9354

http://mos.millenium.org/ says that riverside won 15 skirmishes out of 19. means that fsp also lost the daytime ones during the last 2 days, means people most likely have low morale because of that.
http://www.gw2wvw.net/forums/eu-matchups Has people thanking riverside for nice fights last night, which normally means quieter morning because people were tired.

in WvW

Aless.5376

We won, we lost. It was how it should be. BALANCED. That during the day.
During the night the situation changes.
How many times must I write for you to understand that NIGHT unbalances WvW.

(edited by Aless.5376)

in WvW

Posted by: DevilishLyx.2340

DevilishLyx.2340

This issue has been pointed out to anet countless times. The devs do know about it, but as usual they have done almost nothing to fix it. We’ve given them ideas, but they are not willing to do anything.

in WvW

Posted by: SkiaPhil.4015

SkiaPhil.4015

99,99% of the players on Riverside are either German, Austrian or Swiss. There’s only a hand full of people from other EU countries. We don’t have any players from other timezones here.

(edited by SkiaPhil.4015)