The Class for WvWvW

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Wreck.2634

Wreck.2634

Hello everybody,
This is not a topic asking which class is better! I am just wondering what class you find most enjoyable in WvWvW.

I am an altaholic and having extreme issues deciding what to get past level 40. I play Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist and Thief in s/tPvP. I love them all, but may be slightly leaning towards Elementalist because of the mobility which I am thinking would be very useful in WvWvW. I am not too worried about PvE, unless it effects WvWvW (i.e. one class is terrible at farming and can’t gear up for WvWvW).

Whats your input?

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

I really like playing alts to but feel more forced to play my mesmer in wvw my only level 80 since that is how you are going to be effective when all your others are really low levelled characters and extremely outgeared and don’t want to grind the levels again.

Given those classes, they are all good in wvw for different and some of the same reasons (Eles and thieves are both good for taking out siege with meteor shower/cluster bomb). Really it comes down to just picking one you like the most really.

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Thief or mesmer.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Bunzy.8674

Bunzy.8674

Thief or Mesmer are the most OP classes. If you choose either you should roll face.

Bunzy – I’m a mother father gentleman
Maguuma
WvW Roaming Videos

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Iohanna.4863

Iohanna.4863

If you can learn how to make maximum use of your dodges, skills, and combo fields as a front-line Elementalist, your presence at the head of a zerg will be most terrifying.

If you can master stealth and assassination as a Thief, your presence within the enemy zerg will frustrate them to no end.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

mesmer is pretty much the best at everything.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: ShRNA.4376

ShRNA.4376

Warrior with rifle can 1 shot probably 20% ppl in WvW, from 1500 range. If you like sniper style, warrior is a good choice.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Wreck.2634

Thanks for all the replies! People really love (or hate to face) the mesmer it seems. Elementalist and Guardian don’t shine so bright then? I personally enjoy roaming and looking for small fights to catch on video.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Arani.9057

Arani.9057

If you roll Mesmer in Wv3 and don’t have situational awareness and don’t learn the class you will get laughed at thinking its some OP easy mode class. If your server doesn’t learn to trust you ie, they see you doing some wow awesome thing, they will ignore your portals or yell at you for casting them near them and freaking them out.

In other words be good at it or play something that’s not so spotlight.

I only play Mesmer. I like Elementalist and Thief is a blast (although I think I suck at it), but I’ve been playing Mesmer since beta and find the challenge of finding newer bigger and better tricks to be the great reward of the class. Everything once it’s common knowledge gets put on priority list to be countered you need to stay ahead of the game as Mes IMO. Always need to have a new trick in your bag or yesterdays news.

And every-time you come up with a new awesome move, everyone will flame that you hacked or are OP, then they will figure out how it was done, counter it then call you weak for trying “some old trick”…

Aradea [AoS] /\/\ESS/\/\ERR of Jade Quarry (GG SBI)
I’ll show you exactly what a Mesmer can do, SS cost extra.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: merry.3247

merry.3247

ranger long bow , full berserker and you can insta kill ppl from 1500, ele is not friendly beginner at all, mesmer stinks when it comes to chase your ennemy, warrior is just not a solo class, guardian same thing than warrior, thief most oped class in this game but so so so boring to play after a day or two, necro lol why does this class even exist yet ? only good at sticking a zerg and feeling pretty useless, engineer can insta kill thing with grenade barrage and big oil bomb sync but then you are pretty much dead cuz this class has no dodge skills at all

to sum up : thief 1st choice for kitten ranger second choice for kitten 3rd choice for kitten none

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Kuthos.9623

Kuthos.9623

Elementalist you can rock just about any 1v1 as dagger / dagger.

Sieges you can use staff for aoe damage and heals.

It’s one of the most versatile classes for pvp. However, it is the highest skill cap class in the game. Avoid it if you don’t want to spend all your time learning the in’s and out’s of the class and get it mastered.

Mesmer is great support and also good at dueling, but not quite as mobile as I’d like.

Thief is good at “annoying” people and picking off people from the pack, but not that great in team fights.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

Mesmer is the most broken class in-game. You are simply garbage if you can’t carry with this broken class. Seriously can’t wait til it gets nerfed to balance so enjoy it for now.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jeheil.2516

Jeheil.2516

“ranger long bow , full berserker and you can insta kill ppl from 1500”

Really……love to see a screenie of a single Ranger shot hitting for more than 4k on a clothed opponent !!

At max range not only does a Rangers foe have to be almost AFK to get “insta” killed…the Ranger almost has to pretty much be able to maintain constant LoS and be stationary.

Jeheil, IoJ, [uA] – Defender of Gazza’s watergate

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Genev.2450

Genev.2450

Ranger! People seriously underestimate the range of a traited longbow Ranger and it’s funny to give them a taste of what we’re like and see them run.
Also: Rangers do hit like trucks, Rapid Fire takes people down in a heartbeat. Do that with Piercing Arrow (which apparently doesn’t have a target limit?) and Quickness and see the numbers and corpses

I’m also currently slowly leveling a Guardian to use in WvW, I love their wall/bubble mechanics and see them used very well in my guild in ways I don’t see that often with the enemy and I would love to be part of.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Wreck.2634

@Kuthos not trying to flex my kitten, but skillcap is not an issue. I favor the more complicated classes! Its why I have enjoyed Mesmer and Elementalist so much in s/tPvP.

@Genev whats the build that stacks bleeds and completely wrecks my face? Its the only ranger I have ever have to run from…

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Genev.2450

Genev.2450

Probably the bleed on crit trait with high crit %, while i do have that too, i probably don’t have high enough condition damage to make it really noticable.
I do stack bleeds, but my damage really comes more from hitting hard and fast, and crippling them so they can’t escape the damage.

I tend to stick to my guild group and try to avoid 1on1 fights, i’m glass cannon geared and my weapon/skill setup isn’t really for fights like that :/
(Though i did kill a thief once…. Think he wasn’t 80 though, he went down a bit too easy, though i got downed too and took him down with my pet healing me)

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Wreck.2634

Ah got you, thanks Genev

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Thief overall in WvW

very mobile 25% passive Speed all the time , great Burst, Stealth (can prevent other form capping while in stealth, can finish in stealth, can rezz in stealth), great Utility for your self and other in your group.

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Rizach.4852

Rizach.4852

I get tons of kills as necro and hardly die. So necro

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Mesmer is the most important figure in WvW, a key profession that any organized group NEEDS. Portal is a godsend that can be used in many different ways. To port your zerg and surprised the enemy, to quickly run supplies, to get golems around faster, or port your whole zerg right into the keeplords bedroom.
Have you ever heard of “sweep for Elementalist” or any other profession? No, Mesmers and only Mesmers have the power to let an infinite number of players bypass any and all siege when attacking a tower, keep or castle.

And then there is Timewarp. Which also effects certain Siege, like Golems. And greatly increases the zergs damage output. Which is incredibly powerful when dealing with an enemy zerg, because your zerg gets the damage advantage (hello, +100% dps) or knock through doors with Golems in seconds.
And to booth, Mesmers can also hit stuff that is out of LOS, if they can just have it targetted, with Fantasm’s. So that Treb is out of reach for common AoE? Not for the Mesmer! And you get delicious AoE shields that not only defend against projectiles (which is only the most common form of attack in WvW) but even reflects it back and has it hurt the attacker! Even works with siege!

But dont underestimate our runner up, the Guardian. With superior defense against projectiles (and siege!) for the whole group, blocking off areas with various walls, reflecting projectiles, aoe group heals, and being tough as nails to kill. Very popular profession for commanders because you can stay in the frontlines for a looooong time, and have a massive amount of control and area denial.

Thieves are just kitten annoying, good at instagibbing people and keeping supply camps from being capped.

Everyone else has their little niche that they do maybe a little better then average. But nothing outstanding. If you want a profession that really impacts the battlefield, get a Mesmer or a Guardian. If you want to be an annoying little twat, roll a Thief. If you want no special leg-up and play an average profession, roll anything else.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: tluv.5821

tluv.5821

Necro for commanders. Shroud spec it.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians
Formerly [QT] Questionable Tactics

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Mesmer is the most important figure in WvW, a key profession that any organized group NEEDS.

Forgot to mention that they can also have a ‘pull’ that can yank people off battlements and sometimes even through walls/doors right into the ravaging maw of a zerg for gooey, insta gib fun.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Ianervan.3415

Ianervan.3415

Terrahero: “hello, +100% dps”
—-

Just to correct you slightly here, Time Warp doesn’t increase group damage by 100%. It’s far less than that. It would increase damage by 100% if everyone only had autoattack on their skillbar.

Personally, I think that Mesmers are slightly overrated in WvW, in that having few of them in a zerg is great but above that number you’re better off with another profession.

Unemployed people should not receive any social benefits if they are already working in an MMO.

(edited by Ianervan.3415)

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

Terrahero: “hello, +100% dps”
—-

Just to correct you slightly here, Time Warp doesn’t increase group damage by 100%. It’s far less than that. It would increase damage by 100% if everyone only had autoattack on their skillbar.

And even then, only for 5 people.

Aurora Glade [EU]

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

The thief sucks for WvW now that we have been nerfed into the ground and expect further nerfs till there is no thief class left.
So I run my engi which destroys everything and is in reality OP.

Mesmers and Warriors are also very good.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Spartyr.6795

Spartyr.6795

Anyone not responding with Mesmer is just assuming you already know it. Mesmer is in its own galaxy when it comes to usefulness in WvW. They are the best 1 v 1 class. They have the most escapability. They can portal entire armies and golems around the map. Their clones can attack siege out of range of other attacks. The list continues.

After Mesmer, the other classes all have usefulness depending on situation.

Spartyr – Norn Thief
[GSCH] Gaiscioch Gaming Community

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Naurthoron.3291

Naurthoron.3291

I make a difference between performance and gameplay.
I prefer my Elementalist gameplay even if I admit that my Mesmer. I find the Rogue is overpowered for 1v1 fights and skirmiches, not for mass WvW.

Co-Lead of Death and Rez [DnR]
Vizunah Square [FR] EU
http://gw2.aia974.com/

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Mesmer

Portal bombing is essential.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

Mesmer are so awesome in WvW.

In WvW, I’m playing with ym friend who is a Mesmer, and man I’m happy to be on his side.

He hit like a trucks (7k crits), and is survavibility is crazy even as a glass cannon, and can also chase down people with is pull.

Seriously, I do very well with my necro in WvW. But to say I have as many option as him is crazy.

If it turn bad (10v2), he can escape, he has 2 stealth. I just die.

If a thief try to escape, I’m left behind but he can just pull him to us.

I got a good dps, but I don’t burst like him. His combo nearly insta kill people.

Seriously, Mesmer are a really solide class.

Not even talking about elite or portal bombing

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Mesmer.

This profession opens up more tactics for your team than any other profession.

• Portal bombs to destroy enemy formations abusing the rendering issue.
  • Portals to bypass walls on enemy keeps by hiding inside or by doing a jump puzzle.
  • Portals to open alternative supply routes in besieged friendly towers.
  • Portal roads for golems (orb carrier) to travel from one side of the map to another really fast.
  • Time Warp for doubling golem damage on gates.
  • Phantasms to attack sieges inside enemy keeps that no other profession can reach.

Thief would probably suit the OPs desired playstyle more. The profession is not so beneficial for the team as Mesmer. Thieves have the best survivability though high mobility, stealth and rendering issues. You can go safely behind enemy lines and gank enemies running alone or in small groups. If things go sore, you just dance away, reset and try again.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Arani.9057

out of curiosity all the people saying Mesmer, thief, necro etc are they all Mesmer and thief or just other classes commenting on what X class etc bring to the Wv3 world.

Cuz the guy with a necro main sig is saying roll a Mesmer, for example. Why would you not either roll the class you recommend, or recommend the class you play?

Out of curiosity?

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: psirca.9452

psirca.9452

Before you choose mesmer.
Take a look at this person’s video.
They fight mesmers at the end.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Get-past-campers-in-the-Eternal-Battlegrounds-jumping-puzzle/first#post641631

Skip the video to 4:45 time mark for a giggle.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

@Arani

Because I always try to pick the less played/“underpowered”(or people think they are) class in a game, that why I played engineer (Now I know they aren’t UP, but they were underplayed) and Necro (Underplayed, and people think they are UP).

Also, I’m always WvW with my friend, and I don’t want to take the same class as him. He took Mesmer because he wanted to be a killing machine and heard that mesmer was the class to go for WvW.

I’ll tell you, he isn’t disapointed.

I’m not trying to say Mesmer are OP, I didn’t play all class so I can’t say that. But after rolling with him, I can say they are really efficient. The class design is really good in WvW.

Oh and forgot to say why I don’t recommend Necro. Necro is a good choice too, but most people think they are UP, so maybe it’s harder to be efficient with a Necro. It’s not because I love it that everyone will love it too.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Arani.9057

@Kardiamond.6952,

While necro doesn’t get the hype the Mesmer thieves, guardians, eles… ok like everyone gets, I love to due with my necro friend as what I can’t do he can and visa versa. A lot of the time All I gotta do is make sure he doesn’t die he’ll drop boddies to the floor nicely.

He also has a guard and a Mesmer, of the 3 I prefer the necro to duo with. We both play ranged mostly and between his green dots and mine we look like 8 green dots on the map which can really hold a lot of people at bay for a long time in 2vMany terms.

and engineers like to make some of my best laid siege destruction plans go awry reeeeeeal fast. I will continue to try and get some more shots in when most classes drop down on me but ENG, it’s /decoy and dodge and come back when I’m sure he’s alone. All the Eng needs is one person to keep me in one spot for a second and it goes bad quickly. It’s not about winning the 1v1 it’s he can keep me from my mission or drop my health pool low fast that anyone else can finish me off if not paying attention.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Wreck.2634

Thanks so much for the great replies. Looks like Mesmer is the class to go. I was personally hoping for Elementalist, but you all put up just way too great of an argument!

Although, I wasn’t necessarily asking for the best class, just which one you enjoyed the most

(edited by Wreck.2634)

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: NealCaffrey.6450

NealCaffrey.6450

Thief for the mobility and insane dps from glass cannon build. Guardian for when I want to play a big support role and not care how many badge drops I get. Ranger when I’m just focusing on leading since my commander tome is on him. I try not to compare my thieves damage to my ranger in my head so I don’t cry. I need to try Mesmer and Ele later because they are very useful.

If you wanted to be the most useful, Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian are the ones that bring the most to the table imo.

Commander Rañger Dañger
Leader of Cryptic Gaze[iSpy]
Evermoor Alliance (iSpy, JAWA, WAR) – Dragonbrand

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

The thief sucks for WvW now that we have been nerfed into the ground and expect further nerfs till there is no thief class left.
So I run my engi which destroys everything and is in reality OP.

Mesmers and Warriors are also very good.

Lol. What nerf is that exactly? The culling bug gives you almost god like abilities. Perma stealth during combat.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: tagnut.8621

tagnut.8621

“ranger long bow , full berserker and you can insta kill ppl from 1500”

Really……love to see a screenie of a single Ranger shot hitting for more than 4k on a clothed opponent !!

At max range not only does a Rangers foe have to be almost AFK to get “insta” killed…the Ranger almost has to pretty much be able to maintain constant LoS and be stationary.

This.

I’ve got full berserker and exotics. 1-2k crits normally on longbow ar max range, 3-4k on glass cannon clothies. Warriors hit harder at range with a hell of a lot more health and armour – go figure.

You want to lick keyboard and faceroll own go thief/mesmer.

Next tier down is warrior. Guardian not so op’d anymore.

Elementalist isn’t easy but you can hit like a truck. You will die. A lot.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

my guild has a well rounded comp imho, and we all enjoy the classes we’ve picked.

i like my mesmer for it’s verasatility i guess(i don’t use portals, and i was kinda dissapointed by stealth) but when it comes to straight up nuking, my signet rifle warrior is da beez kneez.

my wvw captain really enjoys zerg diving with his necro, but says nade engi is the most OP thing he’s ever played, still he can’t stay away from diving into zergs and so mainly goes flamethrower on his necro.

most of my active guildies have at least a couple alts now, and across them all, i think every class is represented and liked by someone in my guild.

all classes have a role to play, and a well rounded comp is going to be a lot more effective than one that is too heavy in one direction.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Thief. All the cool kids are rolling them due to the rendering trait and perma stealth!

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

All classes are good.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Its interesting to see a very clear difference in opinion. Those that roam solo, and those that are in organized guilds.

Dont get me wrong, Thieves are mad in roaming and its absolutel bull that you get killed by something you never even saw.
But this has very little impact in the actual score or performance of your server. Anyone saying Thief is better then a Guardian in WvW is just mad or looks at WvW like a Gank/solopvp-map.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

I found mesmers a little slow/annoying, even with focus swiftness.

I believe they will remove portal abuse in the 15th Nov patch, it’s just too gamechanging.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Helathir.3647

Helathir.3647

this thread basically has said every class is the best at wv3 arena net is doing a good job in that respect atleast

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Daevinia.9184

Daevinia.9184

You want to lick keyboard and faceroll own go thief/mesmer.

Next tier down is warrior. Guardian not so op’d anymore.

Elementalist isn’t easy but you can hit like a truck. You will die.

This /thread

Who is Legolas anyway….

~ nothing is constant but change~

Currently: 3619 kills ~ all for Piken Square

(edited by Daevinia.9184)

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Phuriok.9307

Phuriok.9307

Im shocked there’s hardly any if any guardians speaking up on this post. I love my Guardian!! I can take 3-4 people at once, heal my allies, buff em, kill the enemy, I can stand in arrow cart fire all day. I love guardian. yeah mesmers can portal you, yes thieves can stealth and do decent damage, but I can kill you both, at the same time. What do you use to counter a portal bomb? A few shield guardians will spread that stack out real quick. retaliation will do the job for us. Yeah some of these are exaggerations, but there’s a lot of truth in there too. I find my guardian the most entertaining and fulfilling class i’ve played in WvW. Guardian Commander ftw. First one in to the fight every time!

Id like to add Im a GS/Mace,Shield guardian, full exotics with Power/tough/vit, and the dolyaks runes. I make about 50-90 badges every 3-4 hours of WvW. So whoever tells you that guardians are made to support and not fight is lying to your or cant play their guardians. I’ve given my specific build to the guardians in my guild and they love it. It was originally built for Dungeons but in WvW it has just dominated. Thiefs try to spin at me and I laugh. pull em in with the gs then just have fun.

Ok I’m done with my guardian rant, Im a proud guard lol.

~ Phuriok
Commander, Guild Leader of [Epic] Muffins
DragonBrand for life

(edited by Phuriok.9307)

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

I can’t see thieves remaining the way they are. Yes, I love them, and have one coming up – but by the time I’m anything effective – I can already see some changes coming. I Wv3 it’s really starting to lean to Tv3 … one way or the other- it seems like whenever this happens … change is imminent. Just going to put that out there.

To the OP … if your going to only play one character and learn it, level it and learn the ins and outs of Wv3 as your end game fun – Mesmer is great. Warrior is a lot of fun too imo. Seen some pretty decent necro’s out there.

Not many engineers – seen some, but they seem to have the least numbers. Where as ’thief’s I see everywhere … actually correction, I see them briefly and then they disappear… and a few seconds pass with no sight, and I’m dead wondering what the hell killed me. Extremely lethal and deadly – but I don’t want to suggest thief as an option, because I just get a gut feeling that there will be tweaks in the near future. Until then … the reign and kingpins imho

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

WIWith the dominance of range, i’m surprised many people suggest warrior.

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Tijo.9857

Tijo.9857

Guardian is the only 80 I have so far and I enjoy it a lot in Wvw. I play mostly in guild runs, usually 1 to 3 groups. Sometimes with a zerg, mostly not.

I love the survivability, support, defense (blocks / shields / reflection) as well as the ability to do some decent, if not stellar, damage. I swap weapons all the time, but usually include a hammer in my set.

Can’t talk much about other classes as I find that uplevelled characters in greens don’t perform all that well. However I found the warrior’s dps impressive!

The Class for WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

WIWith the dominance of range, i’m surprised many people suggest warrior.

Range is not that dominant. Generally, melee does more damage, against more_targets, and doesn’t suffer as much from the horrible GW2 targeting mechanics. Classes like warrior, with their excellent mobility and tank can successfully charge enemy lines.

Besides, warrior is pretty decent at range too.

(edited by Zid.4196)