The End of Culling: Finally!

in WvW

Posted by: FractalChaos.6539

FractalChaos.6539

Not at all aware if this has been posted here yet…but the fornt page of Gw2.com makes it official;

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-worldthe-end-of-culling/?utm_source=client

I think we all know what this means.

SUCK IT UP, THIEVES!!!! =P

No more near-perma stealth or attacking from stealth for j00. Seriously, I think that aspect of it thrills me more than anything else lol!!

People’s ignorance really pisses me off.
Stupidity is when you can’t help it;
Ignorance is when you choose not to understand.

in WvW

Posted by: VoxShatterfall.5470

VoxShatterfall.5470

Sweet ANET finally fixed culling issues!

I think its great to put placeholders / low res models, as I don’t care who I’m hitting in WvW as long as I know they are there.

Its super nice to have the high res models for dueling and WvW RP (I have no idea if WvW RP actually exists in higher tiers). But I’d trade that to be able to see 1-50 placeholders and genericly clothed invaders to deal with.

Good job guys and gals at ANET!

Commander Vox Shatterfall / Ward Zabach / Ifrit the Immolated
Angry Intent | Multiple Servers
WTB Razor Blade Free Candy!

in WvW

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Thank You! Anet for standing up for us. I’m a bit worried by this statement though, “(except those using invisibility skills, of course)” Will they make adjustments to Stealth,Decoy? Mesmer stealth is only 3 sec, would greatly hurt us.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

in WvW

Posted by: Monoman.2068

Monoman.2068

Can’t wait! This made fighting mesmers slightly more difficult than it should be too. I’m hoping this fix = abrupt out of nowhere thieves rather than the current fading in they currently do.

It completely screws me over when all I hear is a clink clink from behind and have to rely on auto attacks out of fear of wasting my skills since they were probably out of cloak for a good 1-2 seconds already.

Laviere – Hybrid Wellomancer
Makonne – Hybrid Regen Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: Sphere.2076

Sphere.2076

This is make or break for WVW in my opinion. The question is now how will this effect computer performance. Could it make things worse? Yes we will have the ability to adjust settings but to what extent will some players have to lower their settings to play WVW if at all.

in WvW

Posted by: Silver.9084

Silver.9084

Good news, however, the main issue with WvW imo. is skill lag, hope they fix that asap as it’s making large fights impossible

Tux – [VoTF] Vengeance of The Fallen

in WvW

Posted by: Heru.5427

Heru.5427

I predict a flood of QQ when people suddenly realize how insanely CPU intensive this game is when they turn of culling and their game grinds to a halt. Personally I expect to play with nameplates only or maybe fallback models if comp can handle it, with no culling limit. Still enjoyment of any large battles will be hampered by actual lag.

Still, a step in the right direction to at least give us a choice.

in WvW

Posted by: Heru.5427

Heru.5427

Thank You! Anet for standing up for us. I’m a bit worried by this statement though, “(except those using invisibility skills, of course)” Will they make adjustments to Stealth,Decoy? Mesmer stealth is only 3 sec, would greatly hurt us.

He’s just stating something obvious. It’s just a poor attempt at a joke. Calm down :P

in WvW

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

I have a feeling there is going to be alot of QQ when Thieves start getting murdered trying to use the same ole tricks.
It will be like after the first Rogue nerf.

in WvW

Posted by: FractalChaos.6539

FractalChaos.6539

I have a feeling there is going to be alot of QQ when Thieves start getting murdered trying to use the same ole tricks.
It will be like after the first Rogue nerf.

I know, I know…and it is going to echo on the winds like the most melifluous choir of angelic bliss ever!! =D

People’s ignorance really pisses me off.
Stupidity is when you can’t help it;
Ignorance is when you choose not to understand.

in WvW

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I can’t w8 till they start posting in the WvW thread xD

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in WvW

Posted by: Forestgreen.7981

Forestgreen.7981

I await the massive lag fest that is WvW. If you think day1 of Jormag events were bad since you’ll be lucky to just autoattack, I hope people will be ok with just showing up to a zerg fight and show up dead 5 minutes later since you’re computer just crashed.

Best of luck Tier1!!!!

in WvW

Posted by: crewthief.8649

crewthief.8649

I await the massive lag fest that is WvW. If you think day1 of Jormag events were bad since you’ll be lucky to just autoattack, I hope people will be ok with just showing up to a zerg fight and show up dead 5 minutes later since you’re computer just crashed.

Best of luck Tier1!!!!

Run in a small group, avoid the zerg, and you won’t have to worry about that. ;P

< JADE QUARRY >
Zabroshan – 80 Guardian / Sorroe – 80 Mesmer
Hands Off My Octopus

in WvW

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

I look forward to the change. But I am personally happy with just the nameplates. At least you can see them.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in WvW

Posted by: Teamkiller.4315

Teamkiller.4315

Yup, it’s pretty awesome and we’re all looking forward to it! Just hoping it won’t cause SMC style lag for small fights :P

in WvW

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Might play WvW again.
Lol’d hard after I killed a thief who fired off Sneak attack followed by two unloads and couldn’t see him for the whole lot.

The great forum duppy.

in WvW

Posted by: Elochai.1280

Elochai.1280

Can’t wait for the change. This is how it should have been from the beginning. Now I can actually see everyone. The thief QQ will come and I will enjoy all of it.

Elochai Rendar 80 Warrior/Anskar Rendar 80 Necromancer/Rylea Rendar 80 Thief/Kento Rendar 80 Ranger
Commander

in WvW

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

No more near-perma stealth or attacking from stealth for j00. Seriously, I think that aspect of it thrills me more than anything else lol!!

unless they changed the thief class itself both near perma stealth and attacking from stealth are still possible.

those two things are not dependant on culling. it is only a few people who do not play or understand thieves who propagate that myth.

-Desirz Matheon

in WvW

Elochai.1280

unless they changed the thief class itself both near perma stealth and attacking from stealth are still possible.

those two things are not dependant on culling. it is only a few people who do not play or understand thieves who propagate that myth.

No they aren’t completely dependent on culling. However, culling allows them to attack several times after they have initially attacked while in stealth. This mixed with going into stealth shortly after is far worse than that 3 or 4 seconds you would have gotten of them being visible if there wasn’t culling. As it is now perma stealth thieves are only visible for maybe a second. Without culling that at least doubles the time that they are visible.

Elochai Rendar 80 Warrior/Anskar Rendar 80 Necromancer/Rylea Rendar 80 Thief/Kento Rendar 80 Ranger
Commander

in WvW

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

they’re still going to be insanely overpowered. they will still stealth every 3 seconds and still dish out 8k+ hits.

wait and see.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in WvW

Posted by: Dyroth.5063

Dyroth.5063

I’ll celebrate when I see it in action. Changes like this usually come at some sort of cost and that cost is what I’m afraid of.

in WvW

Posted by: Croth.6287

Croth.6287

they’re still going to be insanely overpowered. they will still stealth every 3 seconds and still dish out 8k+ hits.

wait and see.

Well you can’t have the best of both worlds. It’s either stealth every 3 seconds, and do negligible damage, OR do insane damage by popping most, if not all of your cool downs, meaning having no escape mechanism if your initial attack fails. Also note, that insane damage is applied to a single target only.

in WvW

vespers.1759

wait and see.

Well you can’t have the best of both worlds. It’s either stealth every 3 seconds, and do negligible damage, OR do insane damage by popping most, if not all of your cool downs, meaning having no escape mechanism if your initial attack fails. Also note, that insane damage is applied to a single target only.

hahaa this is a funny post.

what’s negligible damage to a thief? 4k heartseeker instead of 6k? 6k backstab instead of 8k?

in WvW

Posted by: Burl.9567

Burl.9567

The image at the end of the post. Where is that from? I know for certain that isn’t in any of the BLs. I don’t play enough EB to know if that picture is located on that map. Am I reading into something that I shouldn’t be????

in WvW

vespers.1759

The image at the end of the post. Where is that from? I know for certain that isn’t in any of the BLs. I don’t play enough EB to know if that picture is located on that map. Am I reading into something that I shouldn’t be????

looks like stonemist.

in WvW

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

Finally!! ‘L2P’ comment can be justified without culling used as excuse for lack of skills ^^

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

The only two words that matter in that dev post is the first 2 in the last sentence.

I wanna see how they tested this under what condition and the type of hardware it was tested with until then my only response is…We’ll see.

in WvW

Posted by: Nameo.6842

Nameo.6842

So, using lower resolution fallback models will make legendary weapons useless, because nobody will see those weapons ?
Good enough.

in WvW

Posted by: Ash Flamerazor.8243

Ash Flamerazor.8243

Yay I can fire trebuches at the enemy team properly now.
Unless of course they still cull after the enemy is slightly farther than cannon range >.<

(edited by Ash Flamerazor.8243)

in WvW

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

So, using lower resolution fallback models will make legendary weapons useless, because nobody will see those weapons ?
Good enough.

true if the game setting you speak of applies to all characters at all times in all places from all points of view!

-Desirz Matheon

in WvW

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

LOL my thoughts exactly it looks as though the image quality is turned down and at a res of 1024×768. Not only that look at the armor those people in screenie are wearing, no weapon auras either and noticed how they are spaced apart in a semi circle.

Something definately smells rotten in Denmark.

in WvW

Posted by: Nameo.6842

Nameo.6842

Good enough.

true if the game setting you speak of applies to all characters at all times in all places from all points of view!

Culling affect PvE area, lowering setting should let you use those fallback models everywhere.

in WvW

Elochai.1280

Good enough.

Culling affect PvE area, lowering setting should let you use those fallback models everywhere.

I think most people prefer their game perform better than see your flashy legendary. Besides those who want to see them can adjust the settings such that they can.

Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

So ends the era of culling, now begins the era of horribly bad ability delay. Good news is there is no longer a reason to stock up on food and drink for play time, there will be plenty of time in between attacks to take care of all your necessities!

in WvW

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

Good enough.

I think most people prefer their game perform better than see your flashy legendary. Besides those who want to see them can adjust the settings such that they can.

Well, it’s a good reason to invest in a more powerful gaming rig & faster connection so as to enjoy the visual at its intended fullness.

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: Chewy.9263

Chewy.9263

Ah finally, now you can’t blame culling from us thieves killing you anymore. Cheers!

Love

in WvW

Elochai.1280

Good enough.

Well, it’s a good reason to invest in a more powerful gaming rig & faster connection so as to enjoy the visual at its intended fullness.

Exactly people can still enjoy the full graphical experience of the game if they have the computer for it. As it always has been with PC gaming and always should be.

Commander

in WvW

Posted by: TheFug.5278

TheFug.5278

The real question is will they fix the skill lag, and will this fix to culling make the skill lag worse? It’s been getting worse and worse with each reset, sometimes having +30 second delays and tons of disconnects.

[KH] Kwisatz Haderach

in WvW

Elochai.1280

Ah finally, now you can’t blame culling from us thieves killing you anymore. Cheers!

They were rightfully blaming culling. But yes now there shouldn’t be these stealth issues anymore. Thieves can still do plenty of irritating things, but thats the thief class for you.

Commander

in WvW

Elochai.1280

The real question is will they fix the skill lag, and will this fix to culling make the skill lag worse? It’s been getting worse and worse with each reset, sometimes having +30 second delays and tons of disconnects.

We shall see. It’s been getting worse yes. It has only gotten worse recently though. Whatever has changed recently or something they are doing behind the scenes has caused this performance drop. I hope we’ll see it go away soon and get the performance back to what it was before just recently.

Commander

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Good enough.

Exactly people can still enjoy the full graphical experience of the game if they have the computer for it. As it always has been with PC gaming and always should be.

From my experience, the skill lag we have all been experiencing in game is related to server lag, not individual PC lag.

in WvW

Elochai.1280

Good enough.

From my experience, the skill lag we have all been experiencing in game is related to server lag, not individual PC lag.

If you follow the conversation we were not talking about skill lag. We were talking about the visual effects of legendary items. Though I do agree skill lag is on their end. Specifically the most recent horrendous skill lag.

Commander

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I didn’t realise that I thought it must have been a client performance issue. So why is there this skill lag now?

Its at the point where its close to being as big an issue as culling. Will we have another few months while we’re waiting for anet to fix that?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

They should just make the gfx dots and you only have to press 1 key to attack.

Basically everyone is a Thief they just look like dots!

in WvW

Posted by: Sacrx.6721

Sacrx.6721

Guilds taking break from game till patch because of culling – Not many sticking it out.

Guilds taking break from game till patch because of 2/3 sec skill delay and cant move/swap weapon – Many.

Months people dealt with culling it had its reason for being there. The last culling change bringing major lag, many stopped already after 1-2 weeks because of this.

LAG > Culling. If this as many are suspecting is culling to lag fix it will be game over for many in terms of wvw servers. As its taken you plenty of time to get around to wvw in first place and still flogging the esport dead horse.

Be nice to hear of the commander changes i hope it will have guild only option to be seen by guild only. Raid UI?

Red Guard – Ultimate Dominator World First 25/6/13
if carlsberg played Guardian.

in WvW

Posted by: Morden Kain.3489

Morden Kain.3489

LOL my thoughts exactly it looks as though the image quality is turned down and at a res of 1024×768. Not only that look at the armor those people in screenie are wearing, no weapon auras either and noticed how they are spaced apart in a semi circle.

Something definately smells rotten in Denmark.

I checked the image properties (not saying it has not been adjusted), and it states 1,920px × 1,080px. As for image location, it is the North West side of Stonemist, between Anz and Stonemist. (See attachment)

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: NeHoMaR.9812

NeHoMaR.9812

What about the lag (skill lag) when a lot of people are inside SM?

in WvW

Elochai.1280

What about the lag (skill lag) when a lot of people are inside SM?

I would expect that to take sometime to fix. People are mostly concerned about the recent skill lag under conditions that aren’t as bad as the occurrences at SM. No one knows for sure how many show up at SM. Often times you are talking close to 120 or more people in close proximity. That’s a lot of people in one location. I don’t know how long it will take them to fix something like that or if it can be fixed. No matter what game you play you will usually have some serious lag of some sort with 100 people that close to each other. If there isn’t server lag in that situation the game is tax your computer quite a lot even if you have top of the line. Not to mention having something that’s lower end or mid range.

Commander

in WvW

Posted by: fractalKinesis.8569

fractalKinesis.8569

My thief was never really ready to use stealth much in WvW. Now that it is, the culling is ‘gone’. So we’ll see what it’s like.

Xiro, High Five Warriors [HFW], Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Gildo.2643

Gildo.2643

I’ll take skill lag over culling any day, at least skill lag will have an equal impact on all classes, where as culling was only a massive buff to stealth classes.