The Final Nail in the Coffin

in WvW

Posted by: Dynnen.6405

Dynnen.6405

Automatic turrets that knock down and deal a bunch of damage (ohh and they aim better than players do), quicksand, lots of places to get knocked off, traps, etc..etc…Way to run over every hurdle in the 100 meter hurdles guys.

in WvW

Posted by: Vael Victus.2654

Vael Victus.2654

Automatic turrets that knock down and deal a bunch of damage (ohh and they aim better than players do), quicksand, lots of places to get knocked off, traps

It’s hard to not read this as praise. Today we fought for a territory and I stayed behind (left the zerg) to do a PvE event to kill air elementals for essence, which charged an altar, which turned me into an invincible (?) fast-moving spark of light for three minutes, with only one skill: a pretty sweet explosion that returns me to my original form.

I haven’t even tried out the workshop transformations. What you describe is engaging, interesting, and leaves room for a lot of growth. The days of a BL’s lonely island in the middle of a boring Krait-filled like are over.

in WvW

Dynnen.6405

None of that kitten I mentioned belongs in pvp…ever

in WvW

Posted by: Boonprot.6274

Boonprot.6274

Lol not according to the devs. Siege around every corner ruining fun engagements. Probably never going back.

Supreme Commander Boonprot, Lord Regent of the Portals
Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in WvW

Dynnen.6405

Lol not according to the devs. Siege around every corner ruining fun engagements. Probably never going back.

Thats why the title is “The Final Nail in the Coffin” =P

in WvW

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

Ditto. It took me about 5-10 minutes to realize that I want no part of that zone.

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

in WvW

Posted by: Vael Victus.2654

Vael Victus.2654

You might find you belong more in sPvP than WvW, then. WvW is not a “fair” battleground to begin with. It is war.

(edited by Vael Victus.2654)

in WvW

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

You might find you belong more in PvP than WvW, then. WvW is not a “fair” battleground to begin with. It is war.

Actually, it’s a game.

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

in WvW

Dynnen.6405

You might find you belong more in PvP than WvW, then. WvW is not a “fair” battleground to begin with. It is war.

On what planet does automated defense turrets that hit for 1/3 or 1/4 your HP that has a 2 second knockdown AND fires every 5 seconds make any sense? How is that fun?

You are that special kind of casual that game devs seemed to be focused on getting…ugh is Camelot Unchained out yet?

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

But, WvW is a PvP / PvE hybrid.

in WvW

Posted by: sphonz.3129

sphonz.3129

It’s pretty easy to dodge the turret attacks or bring stability.

in WvW

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

What a horrible place. Not sure who thought up the idea of creating another zone to pull people out of regular WvW. I know the theory is that it is just there as a holding tank but it still pulls a % of people out of regular WvW.

Add to the fact that I have zero interest in how the zone is laid out. Combine that with the PvE and no thanks.

What a waste of manpower creating this clusterkitten ..that time could have been used in a much more productive way.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in WvW

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Just spent 15 minutes getting ganked by groups of thieves and hammer wars…and about half of that time was spent running back to the fight…

Not impressed so far.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in WvW

Posted by: Chunky Milk.2130

Chunky Milk.2130

The turrets aren’t that hard to avoid… really.

What I’ve found to be ruining my experience in EoTM was the incredible lack of any will to fight. A lot of tower hugging and even open field AC building.

I’d understand if this was being done by PvE/PvX achievement hunters, but it’s being done a lot by tags I recognize from Tiers 1-3

Feels like a 3 hour T1 match just with more zerk rangers and glass guards.

[Hide]/[DP]

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Is Camelot Unchained out yet?

2 more years. 2 more years. 2 more years……

Have not had a chance to see EotM yet, am reserving judgment until then.

However, I suspect it may end up being another part of the game that I wish other players enjoyment and may probably personally avoid. That worked pretty well for LS and SAB.

Will be curious to see how this all settles out and what percentage of WvW players actually end up using the zone long term.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

I was ready to dislike the new map for some of the reasons very distastefully expressed here. Then I remembered that, inevitably, the usual suspects would do exactly what is happening here.

So, while I will definitely play with the fact that PvE-type map mechanics can be frustrated, I’ll do the same to you.

Enjoy your precious 1v1 and other “good fights” being interrupted by disgusting features of the game that you are choosing to play! Have fun.

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

in WvW

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Enjoy your precious 1v1 and other “good fights” being interrupted by disgusting features of the game that you are choosing to play! Have fun.

Didn’t they add a place for you to go 1v1 and have fair GVG fights?

in WvW

Virtute.8251

Didn’t they add a place for you to go 1v1 and have fair GVG fights?

In the strictest sense, no. In the flexible, dynamic, sense where extraneous forces and uninvolved actors can potentially interfere (and that is what our less tolerant play mates are truly crying about all the time), yes ANet did.

in WvW

KOPPER.1458

In the strictest sense, no. In the flexible, dynamic, sense where extraneous forces and uninvolved actors can potentially interfere (and that is what our less tolerant play mates are truly crying about all the time), yes ANet did.

don’t understand.

in WvW

Virtute.8251

don’t understand.

Obsidian Sanctum arena can be (and is) used for those things, mainly GvG, but what the GvG and PvP-in-WvW purists really want is something like the existing sPvP arena system but bigger and with WvW/PvE stats all around.

in WvW

KOPPER.1458

but what the GvG and PvP-in-WvW purists really want is something like the existing sPvP arena system but bigger and with WvW/PvE stats all around.

So you don’t like what you got? I thought a big part of the problem with doing GVG in WVW was that all the buffs mad it unfair to fight evenly? If players want to 1v1 you can do that in spvp or that sanctum.

I guess I don understand because I don’t play those modes.

in WvW

Virtute.8251

but what the GvG and PvP-in-WvW purists really want is something like the existing sPvP arena system but bigger and with WvW/PvE stats all around.

So you don’t like what you got? I thought a big part of the problem with doing GVG in WVW was that all the buffs mad it unfair to fight evenly? If players want to 1v1 you can do that in spvp or that sanctum.

Just telling you what I know about their argument. It spirals downward from there… I’m putting a fairly kind face on it.

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

To me, EoTM is a cool map. But, there is no real incentive to win a match, and it is just a k-train for the most part. Is fun, but it seems shallow to me due to the lack of meaning.

I prefer regular WvW just because it is designed to be more competitive. You want to win, and help your server. You want to wipe out the guilds of the other server, and hopefully beat that server as well. But, in EoTM, you have 4 hours to k-train, a brief break then 4 more hours of k-training and rinse and repeat. I wish it helped the servers battle more.

That is just my take. I have also noticed how it has hit a lot of servers pretty hard tonight. FA was ticking +30 at one point (I even heard it was as low as +10). HoD was ticking +520. A wierd night indead.

in WvW

Virtute.8251

Andrew, I’m sure that plenty of people will play EoTM that way, but that’s an awfully linear viewing of it. Gamer behavior is far more organic than all that.

I see it as a sandbox, more so than the original maps partly because they are well played and learned, and partly because it is obviously designed with that concept of chaos in mind.

Of note: It took a few hours for me to start seeing an [EoTM] guild being represented heavily and used fairly well in the standard follow-the-driver fashion. They were farming kills more than captures.

in WvW

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

So laughable to read some of the lily complaints here, especially from known roamers.

in WvW

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

The only time I was killed yesterday was because of one of those turrets. Their rate of fire and damage is insane.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in WvW

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

It takes what I like about WvW: a PvP battleground that involves large objectives going around. Combined with interesting geometry to get into fights around. I was actually surprised how rarely I got into situations where I could fall off a ledge. You don’t need always need to go below to avoid zergs.

They took out all the random mobs and so the only enemies around are related to objectives, and they made their AI smarter so when players aren’t around it isn’t a 100% bore. As it is, I’m pretty happy with it. It feels like WvW distilled.

Cannons didn’t feel that bad to me, tbh. They never seemed that difficult to rush and while they have decent range they never cover an entire area. But I should go and check just how much it covers.

I also like the fact that the AI will build up defenses in towers while you’re away.

Call me Smith.

in WvW

Posted by: Bredin.5368

Bredin.5368

It will take time to fully evaluate, but after one night of playing in EOTM I’d say it is a big win. Interesting terrain, nooks and crannies, plenty of choke points, all of which add variety and equalize utility among classes.

I’ve seen more small group combat than in the BLs. I personally like some AI in PvP. It is an MMO—the pvp is traditionally inherently different than the pvp in TF, for example. There’s spvp and OS if all you want is open terrain to have contrived fights.

There’s a group of hardcore pvpers who were raised on open world pvp, where fights were unpredictable and tactics involved positioning, using terrain etc. EOTM holds considerable promise.

in WvW

Posted by: Slomo.1029

Slomo.1029

Its quite the oppisite. The WvW ruleset allows you to get rid of the most imbalanced things in the game (trough food [-40% cond.-duration], Oils/Stones, FREE choice of gear etc.). So when you hit ~15 people you can offset the class imbalances quite well.
It isnt optimal in any way, but its the best Anet allows us to do.

~ Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: KeeZee.7312

KeeZee.7312

Andrew, I’m sure that plenty of people will play EoTM that way, but that’s an awfully linear viewing of it. Gamer behavior is far more organic than all that.

I see it as a sandbox, more so than the original maps partly because they are well played and learned, and partly because it is obviously designed with that concept of chaos in mind.

Of note: It took a few hours for me to start seeing an [EoTM] guild being represented heavily and used fairly well in the standard follow-the-driver fashion. They were farming kills more than captures.

Sandbox……are you serious….this game couldn’t be farther away from the sandbox.

in WvW

Posted by: bob.8632

bob.8632

Gaaaaaaarbage….Absolute garbage is what I saw last night….Plenty of the blame goes to our mighty Dev overlords, but there is considerable amount of player-based blame to go around too..

Siegemonkeys, gloryhounds tagged up trying to form zergs, people playing for PPT yet again….I try not to infringe upon anyone’s style of play, but this is the final kitteng straw…Roamers, small mans, skirmishers, have long been kitten on in this game, and some of us obviously made the mistake of thinking we would finally be rewarded for suffering through Coverage Wars 2, only to realize it was just another superior troll.

I hold out a 0.02% chance of hope the “new” will wear off and it will die down and let people do some real pvp with a WvW character, but some how I doubt it.

in WvW

bob.8632

T FA was ticking +30 at one point (I even heard it was as low as +10). HoD was ticking +520. A wierd night indead.

Not too weird, FA likes fights more than HoD likes PPTing.

in WvW

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

Gaaaaaaarbage….Absolute garbage is what I saw last night….Plenty of the blame goes to our mighty Dev overlords, but there is considerable amount of player-based blame to go around too..

Siegemonkeys, gloryhounds tagged up trying to form zergs, people playing for PPT yet again….I try not to infringe upon anyone’s style of play, but this is the final kitteng straw…Roamers, small mans, skirmishers, have long been kitten on in this game, and some of us obviously made the mistake of thinking we would finally be rewarded for suffering through Coverage Wars 2, only to realize it was just another superior troll.

I hold out a 0.02% chance of hope the “new” will wear off and it will die down and let people do some real pvp with a WvW character, but some how I doubt it.

This is exactly how I feel right now. I can’t have one decent fight under cannon fire. Tried to stop the same guy 4 times, then gave up and just damaged him down. Everything about wvw supports zerging.

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

(edited by Seigfried.5938)

in WvW

Dynnen.6405

Its less about having fair fights since those don’t really exist and more about having what would have been a good fight turned to complete kitten because after having to dodge specific attacks then eatting cannons in the face and getting killed is completely kittening kittened. It wouldn’t be so bad, but everywhere I went in the desert area had some sort of random cannon fire or 3 second root for no GD reason.

in WvW

Dynnen.6405

Yes, but not so easy mid fight.

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

The buffs r one side of it but trolls r still a huge problem. Organized groups can keep everyone for doing everything fro 1v1 to 20v20. It happens a lot in my experience

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

Go back to your borderlands, fight for your server instead of dying to NPC turrets for no reason =)

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Dynnen.6405

Go back to your borderlands, fight for your server instead of dying to NPC turrets for no reason =)

Its only killed me twice, and saved enemy players from getting stomped dozens of times. Which is why its so frustrating.

in WvW

Posted by: Yam.2891

Yam.2891

I am enjoying Skyhammer 2.0

The Lad Guy – aka Mustache Pete
[Trillmatic][SPCA][xmas]

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Sure it is, if your not engaging a large zerg where … you know, your stabilities and dodges are needed. Lets not forget some classes are playing with 2-4 seconds of stability while others are having a great time with 10+ sec. The turrets need to go.

in WvW

Posted by: Troj.7940

Troj.7940

This map and the siege and npcs have killed my interest and hope in GW2 ever being a pvp game.

I hate myself for even playing this game at times.

in WvW

Posted by: Troj.7940

Troj.7940

Asking for the turrets to go btw is of no use. They have demonstrated they know nothing and are unable to do anything to immprove pvp in this game without a complete overhaul of the pvp dev team. To backtrack will just be embarrassing for them. Many people were giving Anet one last chance with these pvp updates as they finally have other options on the horizon.

in WvW

bob.8632

I hate myself for even playing this game at times.

Same way I feel and felt after college parties after too many drinks and seeing a hefty lass….

GW2 is the quintessential: “2 at 10, 10 at 2”.

in WvW

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

Automatic turrets that knock down and deal a bunch of damage (ohh and they aim better than players do), quicksand, lots of places to get knocked off, traps, etc..etc…Way to run over every hurdle in the 100 meter hurdles guys.

what can we do about it? Devon loves siege, and that is that.

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Sure it is, if your not engaging a large zerg where … you know, your stabilities and dodges are needed. Lets not forget some classes are playing with 2-4 seconds of stability while others are having a great time with 10+ sec. The turrets need to go.

And why would you stupidly engage an enemy zerg when they have turrets around? Heaven forbid that terrain and positioning be something you need to be aware of in battle. You know the turrets can be killed too right?

The NPC’s and turrets help deter the problem in old WvW maps where things are basically unguarded. Soloing a camp is commonplace and having it flip every 5 minutes like clockwork is an absolute joke. When a single person can take a garrison it’s just plain dumb. At least in EotM you need some tactics and forethought instead of “Zerg it!”. I ran around EotM last night with 2 buddies in the enemy back lines. It was really fun. We even found the turrets and it was both surprising and awesome that there is some actual defense against attacks in enemy territory.

If you want 100% fair fights go play SPvP.
If you want little PvE interference play the old WvW maps.
If you want WvW where NPC’s aren’t something you can just shrug off play EotM.

in WvW

Posted by: ThunderCat.8395

ThunderCat.8395

I look forward to 80 man zergs spamming air strikes from their inventories. Can’t ask for better pvp content than that!