The Obsidian Sanctum is not good enough

in WvW

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I agree… I’d like to OS expanded into a full PVP/PVE dungeon similar to how Darkness Falls was in DAOC (the model on which WVW was based).

I fully support GVG, but IMO it’s ultimately better if GVG remains a part of overall WVW rather than a side-game.

downed state is bad for PVP

in WvW

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

their where trolls by the windmill as well.

all we asked for was to remove the bloodlust and that is what anet provided to us.
we didnt ask for a troll free area because lets face it, the trolls are jelly that they cant be as good as us.

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in WvW

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

all we asked for was to remove the bloodlust and that is what anet provided to us.
we didnt ask for a troll free area because lets face it, the trolls are jelly that they cant be as good as us.

pretty sure people asked for a troll free mode a long time ago as well. im just stating that anet tried to accommodate for gvg but they still haven’t gotten it right..

we got the arena which was step 1.
now we need to get this even more popular than their beloved spvp in order for more features to be added.

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

pretty sure people asked for a troll free mode a long time ago as well. im just stating that anet tried to accommodate for gvg but they still haven’t gotten it right..

we got the arena which was step 1.
now we need to get this even more popular than their beloved spvp in order for more features to be added.

I have to agree with Brando here, The arena is a great step forward, this shows the Anet is acknowledging GvG as a in game event and are willing to take steps to provide a area to do this. Also the arena is awesome really…So now that they have made the ground floor for a better GvG scene, they can review and continue to make it better.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: raenen.5807

raenen.5807

as the title says the change to the obsidian sanctum to allocate gvg is simply not good enough. its great how you have tried to make it fair with the removal of the bloodlust buff and the setting its self is great (lots of space to move around) but simply put it is far far too easy for random people not in the gvg to interfere completely ruining your attempt at making this a fair system. what i would like to see is a private instance with the current map where people can be invited by a guild leader/officer to stop all this interference.

Why dont you just design your own “perfect game” then leave this one and go play it.

in WvW

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

As Devon said back in October,

Guild vs. Guild is a gametype that has a lot of potential and one that we would never do anything but the best possible version of. That version, if it comes, will have to wait until the resources are available to build it. This change is an attempt to provide a workable solution in a timely manner, one that will ease some of the conflict that we have seen arise on the forums and in the game.

What this means is that the team is not focused on making changes to this map at this time. If and when the resources are available to build GvG as a game mode, the team assigned to it will do the best they are able, but that time is not now. The Obsidian Sanctum was built to ease tensions between GvG players and the WvW community by allowing a place for players to GvG where it does not affect total map population and is not affected by the Bloodlust buff.

GvG, in its current form, is a player-organized and player-run gametype and for the time being, must be policed by players. Obviously if anybody is being abusive or obscene in chat, please report them. But, we cannot devote resources to preventing players not involved in organized battles from entering the arena.

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

Guild vs. Guild is a gametype that has a lot of potential and one that we would never do anything but the best possible version of. That version, if it comes, will have to wait until the resources are available to build it. This change is an attempt to provide a workable solution in a timely manner, one that will ease some of the conflict that we have seen arise on the forums and in the game.

What this means is that the team is not focused on making changes to this map at this time. If and when the resources are available to build GvG as a game mode, the team assigned to it will do the best they are able, but that time is not now. The Obsidian Sanctum was built to ease tensions between GvG players and the WvW community by allowing a place for players to GvG where it does not affect total map population and is not affected by the Bloodlust buff.

GvG, in its current form, is a player-organized and player-run gametype and for the time being, must be policed by players. Obviously if anybody is being abusive or obscene in chat, please report them. But, we cannot devote resources to preventing players not involved in organized battles from entering the arena.

It’s probably against some rules of your company in some way, but if not, try starting a Kickstarter fund for GvG development. I’d be willing to bet you’d get all the funding (resources) required fairly quickly. There are a lot of people who want to play a game that doesn’t exist right now, and GW2 is an awesome platform to make it happen.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

in WvW

Posted by: kelman.9451

kelman.9451

GvG is only for a certain amount of players, not everyone cares about GvG, so Anet I think is taking the right approach to putting it on an extra project list.

in WvW

Posted by: vanzan.1250

vanzan.1250

GvG is only for a certain amount of players, not everyone cares about GvG

You’re right, Just like PvP.

in WvW

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Ugh really? Ok where is your post that says trolls stop interrupting the gvg area we created by the windmill? Better yet your post pointed at the people that decided the windmill was the best place to GvG?

The sanctum is awesome and it is in the open world just like the windmill is. The sanctum IS good enough until a better spot is made. I think most people are pretty happy with the sanctum I like it alot and there is always duels and build talks going on with other servers in between GvG.

It actually really cool your in there dueling or just chatting a big guild group comes to watch then your like is it a GvG? You spread the word in guild chat people come to watch its like a impromptu important event if you are into the scene. I find it pretty awesome.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

The sanctum is awesome and it is in the open world just like the windmill is. The sanctum IS good enough until a better spot is made. I think most people are pretty happy with the sanctum I like it alot and there is always duels and build talks going on with other servers in between GvG.

It actually really cool your in there dueling or just chatting a big guild group comes to watch then your like is it a GvG? You spread the word in guild chat people come to watch its like a impromptu important event if you are into the scene. I find it pretty awesome.

Pretty much this. GvG/duels have always been on the honor system/player-policed anyway – obviously it’s best if we magically have a full infrastructure but stuff like that takes time and resources. The OS is a solid interim solution. It’s like a open world pvp hub now which is cool.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

find some players from every server and tell them kill everybody in tunnel.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Mighty Assasin.3816

Mighty Assasin.3816

I think we just need a fence for the spectating areas above.
That is all.

It’s probably against some rules of your company in some way, but if not, try starting a Kickstarter fund for GvG development. I’d be willing to bet you’d get all the funding (resources) required fairly quickly. There are a lot of people who want to play a game that doesn’t exist right now, and GW2 is an awesome platform to make it happen.

This would work for me, even if it didn’t get you all the resources you would get a great deal from it. Keep it in mind.

Lite
The Prestige [pTg]
Twitch.tv/Lite_lite

(edited by Mighty Assasin.3816)

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

There is nothing stopping people from interfering behind the windmill either, or on any part of any BL or EB map. So I dont know what makes this area less viable than the windmill???

The main point of this area is that gvg player dont take up wvw places but can still fight each other. It took a while before peopel stopped attacking at teh windmill, the same for here, give it time and most people will stop.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

in WvW

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

Where are these Trolling guilds?

and all you Pro-GvG people come on, Anet made a great area I mean they went out of their way for so little people QQ’ing about wanting something.

you got something and you still complain, buncha spoiled little brats.

this will probably get deleted but I’m implore the mods to let it stand cause it’s the truth

Merry Wintersday!!!

Sincerly, Me.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Some people are never happy, lots of us asking for bug fixing etc and all you get is a very special own gvg area and QQ going on…

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

It’s way easier than that. All the GvG community has to do is play the game. If these arranged fights in the OS start happening more often, it will get developed.

If they start seeing hundreds of arranged fights in the OS every day, they’ll devote resources to it. If they only see a few fights a week, they won’t. If GvG is as good as its community thinks, it will get popular despite interruptions. If not, well, Anet’s smart to not devote a ton of resources to it.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

If and when the resources are available to build GvG as a game mode, the team assigned to it will do the best they are able, but that time is not now.

No disrespect, I like GW2, the fact that its a beautiful free to play game, that there is a Mac version, that you communicate with us and that you are not afraid to try new things (pretty much everything beside the class imbalance and random loot), but:
You haven’t even started work on GvG and your not even sure you’ll do? GvG was the selling point of GW1 for me and I jumped in GW2 expecting guild halls and all that stuff to be in there.

Beside the new WvW map I sincerely hope that you have more maps planned for WvW in 2014 if you do not have a gamemode we can consider as a Esport that can keep us playing.

GvG, in its current form, is a player-organized and player-run gametype and for the time being…

I should say it, but that’s only because it is considered an essential game mode by many to a game called “Guild-Wars”… My friends have been waiting and hoping for a proper GvG mode since the launch of the game.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Imagine how awesome it would be if something like this could be officially implemented in the game. Imagine the money Anet would make.

in WvW

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

I’ve seen guilds find an easy way to deal with trolls. After the GvG, they all zerg the one guy, kill him down, and kill anyone who tries to rez him. It seems to work…no one will rez a troll if it’ll get them killed to.

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in WvW

Posted by: Polismassa.6740

Polismassa.6740

It’s way easier than that. All the GvG community has to do is play the game. If these arranged fights in the OS start happening more often, it will get developed.

If they start seeing hundreds of arranged fights in the OS every day, they’ll devote resources to it. If they only see a few fights a week, they won’t. If GvG is as good as its community thinks, it will get popular despite interruptions. If not, well, Anet’s smart to not devote a ton of resources to it.

Ultimately, this is the real solution to most of the problems detailed in this thread. I mean, the reason that people are generally less likely to kitten with GvGs at windmill is that windmill is an already established location for GvG, and has something of a reputation already. When the first GvGs around windmill started happening, and word started getting around, there were plenty of trolls, gankers, and confused PuGs wandering around down there, but in time it became something of a sanctum, a hallowed ground for the GvG community, and people began to respect the area.

All guilds need to do is bite the bullet and start doing GvGs there, get a squad of players from each server that can act as a “police force”, even the most determined trolls tend not to want to return after being ganked 5 times in a row by a guild group. I know it may seem like extra work, but i really do believe that OS can become a good spot for GvGs if we as a community put in the effort to make the shift.

And maybe, just maybe, if Anet starts seeing that the resources they put in are being utilized to the fullest, then they will see fit to devote more resources and actually add in GvG maps, and a browser that allows guilds to do battle across all servers and regions. Like they said though, it’s currently a fairly niche game mode in comparison to many others (yes even sPvP).

[IX]

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

what players do is a death match. if u playd gw1 you know what is gvg and you also know we have a gvg map. the pvp map with the lord. ignore capture points and kill the lord. gl hf

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

OS is dead, and all GvG’s happen by windmill still. your move.

in WvW

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

the problem is ANet kinda killed GvG when it was at its peak. the other issue is no one is stepping up to organize and cast these things since emo Ogro ragequit to play GTA V. GvG scene is currently very mellow, in contrast to what was happening this summer. the third issue is EOTM. it looks like a very fun game mode that will fragment guilds even further. i for one wont be playing the old PPT kitten when it comes out, at least not for a while.

sadly, GvG’s are on the way down. i hope im proven wrong though.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in WvW

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

GvG, in its current form, is a player-organized and player-run gametype and for the time being, must be policed by players.

Which is a very precarious position for the development team to be in. This player created and player driven gametype represents perhaps only a fraction of the overall audience. But the fact that this fraction exists indicates a design oversight at the very least. There are people who enjoy the combat within the game, but not in the established modes by which Arena Net has presented it.

Notably steps are being made to revamp the existing structured PvP architecture, but none of it is taking into account the largest group of players who have already created their own structured PvP game mode: GvG. They’ve basically handed the staff the redesign concept, yet persist to be ignored, indicating a strong disconnect between the development team and their own fanbase. Resource limitations or not, this sends a negative message to this portion of the playerbase, regardless of the studio’s intentions.

This however represents a self solving problem. This under-served fraction of the fan base will simply leave when a product becomes available that caters to what they’re looking for in their play experience. I wouldn’t waste time developing it myself if I were in charge of anything at Arena Net, and largely wouldn’t waste the time on structured PvP either. That ship has already sailed, and “pro teams” looking for an “e-sport” aren’t talking about blazing the trail in a game that came out in August of 2012. Especially not with next gen consoles on the shelf, next gen MMO’s in the launch tubes, and Guild Wars 2 having a PvE-centric development model. Just let it be what it is and focus on the bi-weekly free cheese with heavy emphasis on the cash shop. It’s the only thing that’ll keep the game afloat as sales tank trying to compete with next gen titles.

If there isn’t a significant expansion to GW2, which includes new PvE & WvW maps, a GvG game mode, a new race, new skills for every class, and more social functionality (Guild Halls, Home Instance overhauls, etc.) I don’t expect GW2 to maintain market relevance past this time next year. Overall 2014 is going to be an uphill battle for the whole team at Arena Net as they are clearly not finishing this year strong. Little Timmy T for Teen isn’t asking Santa Claus for Guild Wars 2 for Christmas, he’s asking for a PS4, Killzone, Driveclub, and a pre-order for Elder Scrolls Online…gee I wonder why?.

Just ignore GvG. It’ll pass. We’ll find something else to play. Have A Merry Christmas.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.