The Upside of being SOR

The Upside of being SOR

in WvW

Posted by: Foghladha.2506

Foghladha.2506

Everyone knows the story of Sanctum of Rall. We had a glorious start, a dramatic internal war. We’ve seen first place, we’ve seen last place, we fought our way all the way back to tier 6 when server linking hit.

At first we hated it. We grew attached to Dragonbrand our first foster parent. They were an awesome group to play with. When the second match hit we were paired with Fort Aspenwood which was a pretty drastic change over Dragonbrand. During our time with FA DB would suffer a terrible internal war and be gutted just like SOR was back in the day. They went from Tier 1 to now struggling vs Tier 4.

This is where we noticed that while being a mercenary server kinda sucks in the fact youll never be able to build a lasting relationship with your paired server and youll be expected to change voice coms every 8 weeks. It does have some distinct advantages.

1. We have no Glicko rating – we are ranked by population not scores.
2. Doesn’t matter what happens we will always be paired with a tier 2 server, unless our population rises then well be paired with a tier 3 server.
3. We get a front row seat to play along side some pretty great people from all servers. We will face foes as allies and later as frenemys.
4. We watch the constant rise and fall of servers from a distance without it gutting our server. Politics and Egos are left for the glicko scoring servers and were left to have some fun.

So in hind sight life on Sanctum of Rall post server linking is actually pretty awesome. Great fights nonstop, get to learn from all the greats and play along side them, and we dont have to get involved in petty political games. We just go out there and fight and enjoy the spoils of battle.

If your looking to be locked in at T2 and take vacations to T1 and T3 occassionally this is a great place to call home. No winning, no losing, just nonstop battles everywhere you turn. Its like having the best parts of gw2 without all the uglyness.

Just my 2c perspective on server linking from one of the mercenary servers perspectives.

Benjamin “Foghladha.2506” Foley
Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

The Upside of being SOR

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

The way I see it from my AR account is AR no longer exists. When I run into other friendly players I have no idea if they’re from CD or SF, there is no way to establish a community.

There is nothing we can do to improve our server because anything we capture or any kills we make contributes to CD’s score. Players will continue to slowly drift off the server until the only people left are the PvE players that have no idea what server they are on and only come in to grab daily’s.

Anet needs to return the server identities. We shouldn’t be listed as CD because we are not CD. We should be Red Team AR, our allies should be Red Team CD, Red Team SF. This will allow players to know who they will be with from month to month and allow new guilds to form.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

The Upside of being SOR

in WvW

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

At first I was against the concept of factions. But as time passes I feel more and more that it should have existed when the game first started. With a list of 10 (versions) of the server you could sign up to fight in. WIth your guild being able to chose ONE of those versions to focus on (enabling guild claiming etc) each week. But with individual players able to (Guest) on one or two other versions per week (meaning no one player could access more than 3 versions of the match).

Would it be a clusterkitten? Probably for awhile until people got used to it. But this whole concept of server identity seems like its causing more harm than good in a situation where the game can’t support it. (Or the game is perceived that way atleast by the vocal minority)

Atleast with factions you can have another kind of identity. One that won’t just get eaten when people move around.

Thats just IMO though. I don’t pay enough attention to the inner workings of this kind of system to really make a good argument on it either way.

Edit: I mean hell. Ive moved servers so many times that its just rediculous at point. And I just realised I can’t actually remember my “home” server anymore.

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)

The Upside of being SOR

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

It is nice to see there are people who are looking at the bright side of being on a linked server. The chance to have a new environment every couple of months can be really fun and keep things fresh. And as a former resident of SoR myself who was there for all those exodus’ and that painful drop from tier 1 to the bottom, I am happy to know they no longer have to worry about having to deal with all that, and can just login to have fun without having to lose their server through a merge.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

The Upside of being SOR

in WvW

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

The way I see it from my AR account is AR no longer exists. When I run into other friendly players I have no idea if they’re from CD or SF, there is no way to establish a community.

There is nothing we can do to improve our server because anything we capture or any kills we make contributes to CD’s score. Players will continue to slowly drift off the server until the only people left are the PvE players that have no idea what server they are on and only come in to grab daily’s.

Anet needs to return the server identities. We shouldn’t be listed as CD because we are not CD. We should be Red Team AR, our allies should be Red Team CD, Red Team SF. This will allow players to know who they will be with from month to month and allow new guilds to form.

Only ones I know of any more either run the [METL] or [AR] tags….and most all the [METL] ones are in [AR].

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

The Upside of being SOR

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Good post Foghladha.

I really wish I could agree with more of it, but Kaineng has had this habit of getting thrown into T1, or near enough. And unfortunately myself and the guilds I run with isn’t very fond of that. We wish we where linked more with T3-4 servers. But it seems to be our lot in life.

But we’re sitting crossing fingers for next pairing! I do like the idea of being a mercenary server sort of, and several of us have friends on various other of the old low tiers servers, we would love to play with/against.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

The Upside of being SOR

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Did you say Mercenaries?

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing