The WvW holy commandments!

in WvW

Posted by: KinkyWarrior.1879

KinkyWarrior.1879

Just a list of general rules of thumb for new people and such to give a general idea of the… ‘Etiquette’? of WvW (And a few silly ones in there too ) Post your own too!

1) Thou Shall only take supply from designated supply camps. Unless the need is utterly dire.

2) Thou Shall realise, in a moment of crisis, that sentry point is not important.

3) Thou Shall not attempt to sway the server into assaulting a location for personal gain, merely support the server in the hopes that the needed location becomes viable to attack.

4) Thou Shall Not partake in Jumping Shenanigans if the server is need of help. One shall have patience until a time of calm or absolute domination. (Or Friday… everyone does it on a Friday.)

5) Thou Shall Not shanghai a persons personal Golem unless permission has been granted.

6) Thou Shall sacrifice oneself to contest an object if reinforcements are nearby and need only a few more seconds.

7) Thou Shall complain about thieves at every opportunity, as they are the bane of WvW. (Even if you are a thief ;D)

8) Thou Shall realise, it doth not take 20 people to take an empty supply camp and shall support elsewhere.

9) Thou Shall acknowledge the fact that your server is nothing without Bessie (The Dolyak) and thou shall throw your life away if it means her survival.

10) Thou Shall realise that Auto Attacking a gate and/or wall accomplishes nothing, and thou shall watch ones flanks.

11) Thou Shall never use the catapults ‘Gravel’ option, as it is pointless. (Subject to change under the bearings that a brave scholar deciphers a time in which it is useful for gravel.)

12) Thou Shall complain about ‘Culling’, for it is also, the bane of WvW.

13) Thou Shall complain often about the ’OP’ness of Mesmer portals ability to back door keeps and towers.

14) Thou Shall use Mesmer Portals to back door Keeps and Towers.

15) Thou Shall use all Mesmer portals, even if one does not know where to it leads. If it leads into an enemy army, you shall thank the Mesmer for giving you the chance of dealing death upon your enemies.

16) If one see’s a fellow WvW goer duelling with an enemy one vs one, one shall not involve himself unless the enemy has some unfair advantage. (Such as being level 80 and your friend up scaled.)

17) Thou shall warn of attacks, and not justkittenabout in a tower wondering why no one is helping.

18) One shall carry supply at all times, as supply is the life blood of all things WvW.

19) Thou Shall dance upon the corpses of dead spies, if time and circumstances permit, in an attempt to make them way point.

20) Thou shall plant flame rams on thieves that abuse stealth, if time and resources permit. (soon to be invalid?) – Peetee

21) Thou shall not kill the holy grub. – djkittiek

22) If thou is commanding, ye shall always have thy holy Mesmer handy at all time. – Hymnosi

23) Thou Shall refresh Siege de-spawn timers if passing through an captured objective. (Timer not 100% confirmed but double check anyway) – PolarApe

24) Thou shall complain about the op’ness of Warriors, Guardians, Elementalists, Mesmers, Necros and Engineers whenever possible, cause they are the bane of WvW. – Aysnvaust

25) Thou shall never complain about the op-ness of rangers, cause they are not. – Aysnvaust

26) Thou shalt chuckle when the word “truce” is mentioned, even as thy eyes watch thy supposed truce “partner” take thy towers, for ‘tis a silly word in WvW. The word is only as good as the gentle who gives it, and so many gentles either don’t give or don’t honor such a word. – AveryFarman

27) As thine mother and thine first grade teacher toldest thou, if thou comest upon an empty alter of supply and thine fellow is waiting for the manna from heaven to fallest and refill it, thou shalt waitest for thine fellow to retrievest his supply before thou takest supply from the holy alter of supply thineself. For thou never want to hearest from thine mother, “Son, I am disappointest.” (Decrypted version; thou shall form an orderly queue should the supply camp be empty.) – Sotaudi

Thats all I could think of for now. If you have more ‘Commandments’ of WvW post below. Even if it’s just a server special rule. Would be great to see the quirky rules different servers have :P

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]

(edited by KinkyWarrior.1879)

in WvW

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

20) Thou shall plant flame rams on thieves that abuse stealth

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

21) Thou shalt not camp in the Jumping Puzzle, as you are in no way, shape or form contributing to the desperate assault your team is currently waging upon the Enemy’s fully upgraded Keep.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in WvW

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

22) Ignore all the other commandments: people should do whatever the heck they want to.

in WvW

Posted by: djkittiek.7694

djkittiek.7694

Thou shalt not kill the holy Grub.

in WvW

Posted by: Hymnosi.5928

Hymnosi.5928

If thou is commanding, ye shall have thy holy mesmer handy at all times.

Hymnosi – Lv80 Engineer
Commander of Phantom Core [CORE] on Borlis Pass

in WvW

Posted by: PolarApe.9351

PolarApe.9351

Thou shalt refresh siege despawn timers* whilst passing through or by your owned keeps and other objectives.

• just quickly ‘use’ the item to re-start the 30 minute countdown to when they are automatically destroyed

in WvW

Posted by: Aysnvaust.7046

Aysnvaust.7046

23) Thou shall complain about the op’ness of warriors, guardians, eles, mesmers, necros and engies whenever possible, cause they are the bane of WvW.
24) Thou shall never complain about the op-ness of rangers, cause they are not.

Poke Menot
Asura Thief
Elona Reach

in WvW

Posted by: DJZephyr.4921

DJZephyr.4921

Amen and Amen to the OP!

As to the folks thinking they should do w/e they want: that mentality, spread over a sea of rookies and fools, can lead a realm to ruin. I’m all for playing your way, but WvW is a COOPERATIVE activity. When one steps thru the portal, they should be ready to COOPERATE with those trying to lead their realm to victory. If you’re an achievement hunter like me, at least wait til Friday and run the puzzles then.

Might I add:
Thou Shall Not direct others NOT to take supply from a camp. Your upgrade attempt is futile; the odds dictate that camp shall flip- at least once, perhaps twice- within the next hour, and your time and money are better spent defending and upgrading the keep or tower down the road.

Read the whole post or DO NOT REPLY.
Zeppillin (Eng), Neudel (Rngr)- Crystal Desert

(edited by DJZephyr.4921)

in WvW

Posted by: Daedalus.3954

Daedalus.3954

Oh OP thank you for these. Truly well done, sir. Hahaha, I’m going to share these with my guild, giving credit where it’s due of course, they’ll get a kick out of this.

Well done, bud.

Commander Kaena Godsfire – Guardian
Server – Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

You forgot to preface it, “And the Commander spoke these words, saying, ‘I am the Lloyd thy Commander, who brought you out of Eternal Battlegrounds, out of the land of futility. Thou shalt have no other Commanders before me.’”

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in WvW

Posted by: Highlet.8039

Highlet.8039

16) If one see’s a fellow WvW goer duelling with an enemy one vs one, one shall not involve himself unless the enemy has some unfair advantage. (Such as being level 80 and your friend up scaled.)

Would be nice, but it’ll never happen. If it’s red, it’s dead. Especially fighting stormbutts. They don’t move with less than 20 players.

in WvW

KinkyWarrior.1879

You forgot to preface it, “And the Commander spoke these words, saying, ‘I am the Lloyd thy Commander, who brought you out of Eternal Battlegrounds, out of the land of futility. Thou shalt have no other Commanders before me.’”

Hahaha… my name isn’t Lloyd xD

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]

in WvW

Posted by: Tera GX.8149

Tera GX.8149

Thou shalt refresh siege despawn timers* whilst passing through or by your owned keeps and other objectives.

• just quickly ‘use’ the item to re-start the 30 minute countdown to when they are automatically destroyed

This hasn’t been true since we first switched to weekly battles. I have absolutely confirmed weapons unused for 30 minutes don’t go anywhere. I’ve also found plenty of siege weapons across multiple days that went nowhere despite the unlikelihood of them being used in such cases. I think the expiration was removed entirely.

However, there is still a known bug that randomly deletes siege. The fastest I’ve had it kick in was 6 minutes.

Tera Xenphos of Fort Aspenwood (guildless, deliberately)

in WvW

Posted by: AveryFarman.2973

AveryFarman.2973

Thou shalt chuckle when the word “truce” is mentioned, even as thy eyes watch thy supposed truce “partner” take thy towers, for ‘tis a silly word in WvW. The word is only as good as the gentle who gives it, and so many gentles either don’t give or don’t honor such a word.

in WvW

Posted by: Sotaudi.1265

Sotaudi.1265

As thine mother and thine first grade teacher toldest thou, if thou comest upon an empty alter of supply and thine fellow is waiting for the manna from heaven to fallest and refill it, thou shalt waitest for thine fellow to retrievest his supply before thou takest supply from the holy alter of supply thineself. For thou never want to hearest from thine mother, “Son, I am disappointest.”

in WvW

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

25) Thou shall learnest to count to ten.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in WvW

KinkyWarrior.1879

One has inscribed upon the holy tablet, commandments which make sense or may not be disagreed with by the vast majority of the WvW community, with the names of their authors.

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]

in WvW

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

28) Thou shalt not engage in random fights when thy zerg is quickly moving to a new location. It slowest thou down and makest thy zerg loose momentum.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Thou shalt purge thy keeps, lest there be Mesmers.

So much stupidity about mesmer portals yet nothing about the number 1 rule?

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

(edited by naphack.9346)

in WvW

Posted by: Rob.7624

Rob.7624

3) Thou Shall not attempt to sway the server into assaulting a location for personal gain, merely support the server in the hopes that the needed location becomes viable to attack.

^
I protest about this Commandment.
Plenty of people whisper me about getting places for map completion.
I’m only happy to clear the map for a bit of gold.

Lol Jokes. But seriously.

Someone start paying me for claiming maps.

Commander Bird Song
Northern Shiverpeaks Night Crew
Os Guild

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Thou shall attack guards and wildlife with no more then four people to not cause the Swords of Órange to appear.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

29) Thou shalt not clutter team and map chat with thine prolonged, aggressive parlance on the reasons why a particular effort to obtain or protect an objective failed.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in WvW

Posted by: Kalemar.4873

Kalemar.4873

Thou shalt not Alt-F4 or log out during a battle as thou should take the beating thou deserveth.

Kalemar (80 Guardian) [COTD]
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Nidhogg.2950

Nidhogg.2950

Awesome post,

Some from Gunnars Hold

30) If thou claims an objective thou shall upgrade it though others will help.
31) Thou shall stand sentry and call incoming when its thine turn to do so.
32) Thou shall repair damaged walls and gates when encountered.
33) Thou shall help the Quaggans build their weather nodes as they are our friends
34) Thou shall destroy the Quaggans weathernodes as they are unreliable, fickle creatures.
35) Thou shall not get tunnelvision for Stonemist, it is a silly place.
36) Thou shall be present in the weekly WvW meeting unless pressing circumstances prevent or you dont want to.
37) Thou shall not blame the commander for every succesful enemy action.
38) If a mesmer, Thou shall portal your server mates through the puzzles with a smile, if Thou arent a mesmer you will show your appreciation to the mesmer with silver, siege or a hug.
39) Thou shalt not follow either Slaughtererer or Nidhogg down a cliff
40) When thou calls incoming thou shall include a number and a location. ‘On me’ doesnt feature on any map, nor does location ‘here’
41) Thou shall promote the server wide forums, community and mumble server at every possible time, www.gunnars-hold.eu

Guildleader of Vitas, Gunnars Hold

(edited by Nidhogg.2950)

in WvW

naphack.9346

Thou shalt give thy live slaying Dolyaks for tis 2 points for thy server.

in WvW

Posted by: HeeHee.5208

HeeHee.5208

Thou shall not take supply from towers, keeps, stonemist if upgrades are occurring

Thou shall use supplies at towers, keeps, stonemist to build siege equipment when under siege, but above all, thou shall deplete supplies before enemies capture them.

Thou shall build a trebuchet to counter catapults destroying gates and walls, and not sit inside towers, keeps, stonemist watching the catapults in action or auto-attacking enemies next to the walls…

Thou shall not repair walls with <20% HP unless the enemies’ catapults and trebuchets are destroyed

Thou, as a mesmer, shall turn every thief into a Moa bird that prevents capture of a supply camp, and then dance to celebrate the precious time you have saved yourself…

EDIT: Thou, as a mesmer, shall turn every thief that is constantly stealthing into a Moa bird because thou hates playing hide and seek…

(edited by HeeHee.5208)

in WvW

Posted by: Wretchedscar.4796

Wretchedscar.4796

Thou Shalt not Claim if thine Guild hath no Buffs.

in WvW

naphack.9346

Thou Shalt not Claim if thine Guild hath no Buffs.

this.

in WvW

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

As to the folks thinking they should do w/e they want: that mentality, spread over a sea of rookies and fools, can lead a realm to ruin. I’m all for playing your way, but WvW is a COOPERATIVE activity. When one steps thru the portal, they should be ready to COOPERATE with those trying to lead their realm to victory. If you’re an achievement hunter like me, at least wait til Friday and run the puzzles then.

Quoting me would’ve been easier. I’m always on the front lines, and very cooperative (why the caps?) in WvW. However, I understand that WvW is an extension of PvE and players are free to do whatever they want.

in WvW

KinkyWarrior.1879

Thou Shalleth learn the Holy Prayer of WvW!

Our Castle Lord, which art in Stonemist,
Hallowed be thy Capture Ring.
Thy Castle come.
Thy will be revived,
in Borderlands as it is in Eternal.
Give us this day our daily badges.
And encourage us our trespasses,
As we slay them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into Jumping Puzzles,
But deliver us our daily Blueprints.
For thine is the Castle,
The Points, and the glory,
For one week and the next.
Amen.

Quoting me would’ve been easier. I’m always on the front lines, and very cooperative (why the caps?) in WvW. However, I understand that WvW is an extension of PvE and players are free to do whatever they want.

Of course but this is just a 50/50 mess around thread created because I saw common etiquette forming on my server and was curious as to see whether it applied all over. Also there may be different rules of etiquette which could have emerged on other servers which are just for lol’s and things and I wished to see, like what silly things other servers/ guilds from servers do. Such as planting flame rams upon stealth abusing Thiefs :P

In no attempt am I trying to force a certain set of rules, as I too have probably gone against most these commandments, and whoever says they haven’t, I would daresay is lying. ;P

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]

in WvW

Posted by: haqqa.8194

haqqa.8194

haha, rofl @11. and, no, none yet. still testing occasionally (when no one is looking :P)

@3 …especially if you have a blue icon and should know better.

@4 .. we should have the legal right to **** in our socks and beat you in the head with it (unquote)

(edited by haqqa.8194)

in WvW

Posted by: Windmoor.9834

Windmoor.9834

Thou shall not tell anyone your objectives in map/team/s/whisper if thou is in a stealth strike group.

Don’t fear the unknown, CONQUER IT!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

Thous shall gave useful information in map chat

Not crap like;
- x server at camp <—- what the…..how many? which way they moving? just give me somethign useful

- gate at hills at 70% <—- I mean 70% by hacking on it with moa heads? with 20 rams and 8 golems? how about something useful like 40 zerg, gate has 5 minutes, can’t defend.

in WvW

Posted by: Di Romilly.5108

Di Romilly.5108

If you change it to “if you want the server to win, follow these guidlines” then i agree .

But realy i dont give a f* what you want me to do in WvW. I paid for the game so i do
whatever i want:

I dislike getting attaced by others during mapping and jumping, but its part of the game in these area’s, i have to live with it, and you have to live with me jumping and exploring.

- if i want to jump i jump
- if i want to explore i explore
- if i want to harvest i harvest
- if i want to farm karma/gold i will do that environmental event or kill that sentry
- if i want to chat i chat
- if i want to roleplay i roleplay

And if i want my server to win
- i do my best to follow commanders orders
- kill as many players as possible
- build/repair/place siege
- spend gold on upgrate

I you dont like it, go complain to ANET and ask if they seperate PVE from WVW altogether and remove your unwanted parts from the game.

in WvW

KinkyWarrior.1879

Of course but this is just a 50/50 mess around thread created because I saw common etiquette forming on my server and was curious as to see whether it applied all over. Also there may be different rules of etiquette which could have emerged on other servers which are just for lol’s and things and I wished to see, like what silly things other servers/ guilds from servers do. Such as planting flame rams upon stealth abusing Thiefs :P

In no attempt am I trying to force a certain set of rules, as I too have probably gone against most these commandments, and whoever says they haven’t, I would daresay is lying. ;P

As I say above I’m not attempting to give a list of rules in an attempt to force upon a single way of playing on to people.

Just a list of general rules of thumb for new people and such to give a general idea of the… ‘Etiquette’? of WvW (And a few silly ones in there too ) Post your own too!

I suppose I am being misleading here and I apologise. Take it more as an; this is what is EXPECTED of you but you DON’T have to do it. I haven’t just pulled these ‘Commandmants’ out of no where, these are things which I have seen to be widespread throughout the game or my server itself. In no way am I trying to say you must play by these rules. The format is just a lil mess around too :P. (Ya know, all the Thou must stuff.)

Edit: In essence, it’s just a mess about thread. :P

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]

in WvW

Posted by: Pdarf Tyron.6250

Pdarf Tyron.6250

rofl, lmao, nuff said, awesome tread guys, now go and spread the word ;-)

Adda Sanequeen lv80 mesmer,
Oijram Teovmats lv 80 warrior
of (UNTY) Unity guild AG server.

in WvW

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

-join teamspeak
-have fun
-win

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Thou shalt not place thyn Ballista too far back on thyn mighty keep wall, for it greatly hinders, thyn Ballista’s effective range.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in WvW

Posted by: Ekove.4586

Ekove.4586

thou shalt not sacrifice everything for stonemist

Well at least I love it when our commanders are calling out the pugs to come help defend our stuff while stonemist is being attacked and they go like “BUT STONEMIST IS WORTH MORE POINTS”

in WvW

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

Thou shall not act like rambo and stay outside a fortification being attacked by a zerg. Thou be more useful inside and attacking from wall or reparing/building siege.

If thou are leading thou musnt take fellow zerg into a death trap.

If thou see a group commensing a ninja thou musnt attack thy enemies fortification and thou should help build siege or watch for incoming.

If thou are leading thou musnt take 40 people to attack a camp while half thy map is being attacked.

Thou must protect siege when leader/commander tells you.

Thou shall not all run after the first person you see when thou are told to cover siege.

in WvW

Posted by: bman.1683

bman.1683

This should be stickied

in WvW

Posted by: PhoenixDown.5467

PhoenixDown.5467

Great post! Funny and informative.

If you’re an achievement hunter like me, at least wait til Friday and run the puzzles then.

I can’t agree with that. Jumping puzzle in each BL takes few minutes at best(unless you didn’t do it before) and gives FREE siege equipment. Everyone who is not filthy rich or cares about their coins should learn to do the puzzle and do it at least once in 2 days.

Thou shall learn the jumping sequence and master it, so thou will not waste too much time. Thou shall not participate in the puzzle quest when mother land is in time of need.

Thou shall place war machines whenever the time needs it, thou shall not be stingy with the subject of siege.

in WvW

Posted by: Lyan.6804

Lyan.6804

I stole ur golem yesterday i give u 1 today, i dont want to be a sinner xD
though i think its too late for that…

Gandara Commander [SN]
Ly Ann at ur service

in WvW

Posted by: SpaceLord.4590

SpaceLord.4590

Your auto attacks and or rams do no damage to walls. 0. If you see no numbers, then you are not damaging it. You are only making swords appear on the map.

And a plague of locusts will appear in thine wrecktom.

Haaaa Key Puck (80) Norn Mesmer (80) Asura Engineer-Protocol [PRO]
Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Richard W.4136

Richard W.4136

Another one; “Turneth not thy back on a Thief, thou shalt surely die.”

Knave Blackguard – Level 80 Thief
Southern Legion [ZA]
[EU] Aurora Glade

(edited by Richard W.4136)

in WvW

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

If not already posted:

- Thou shalt not pursueth far afield thine enemy if he beith only one yet ye beith many."

in WvW

KinkyWarrior.1879

I stole ur golem yesterday i give u 1 today, i dont want to be a sinner xD
though i think its too late for that…

Wasn’t my Golem :P And we needed a third driver anyway. But your still a sinner! i’ve heard stories! ;P

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]

in WvW

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

This needs more recognition.
Can a dev please sticky this.

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

Thou shalt not see thy enemy

Yep..

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu