The rewards are pointless, while fun, why bother?

in WvW

Posted by: ukraniangrl.2897

ukraniangrl.2897

“Power of the Mists is awarded to players in PvE and WvW based on the war score of their home world. It includes bonuses to health, gathering and crafting among others. A player will receive the bonuses of their home world even when guesting on other worlds.”

Wow…yippeee. 3 hours in World vs World for absolutely no payback.

If below 80, where is the XP? Why not have levels like in SPVP? I spent 4 hours in there last night and got absolutely NOTHING out of it? Why even bother? What is the hook for level 80 players to even keep doing this?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/One-Vets-Feedback-On-WvW

(edited by ukraniangrl.2897)

in WvW

Posted by: epicsmooth.7825

epicsmooth.7825

This is one of the key things I’ve hated in MMOs, PvP needing some kind of gear chase BS.

Also you get money, loot, karma, xp, badges, achievement/titles.

Oh and the fact you are PvPing

in WvW

Posted by: Kezia.7836

Kezia.7836

You answered your own question. Fun. Any game, aspect of a game should be played for this reason. How you define fun..farming, gear chasing, pvp, whatever is up to you.

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

“It’s fun but I didn’t get anything out of it. Why bother?”

Uhhhhh.

Because….it’s….fun…?

I wasn’t aware that all of my hobbies had to have some sort of personal payback. I can’t remember the last time I got XP, money and loot from reading a book or shooting hoops. I paid $15 to see Prometheus and all I got was some jokes about a movie with a silly script.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

This topic continues to surface, and I continue to be baffled by it.

The things in life which give tangible “rewards” are the things which are fairly unimportant. Fun is it’s own reward, and if that doesn’t feel like enough then it probably isn’t really fun.

I have 2 suggestions for people missing the rewards in GW2, and these are not meant to be insulting at all, just honest advice:

1) Play one (or more) of the hundreds of other games out there which use the exponential power increase carrot-stick-treadmill model instead. GW2 is one of the very few games of this genre not using that model, and there are many gamers who prefer horizontal to vertical progression. Everyone is entitled to their preferences, and there is room in the world for games to accommodate them all.

2) Do a bit of research before purchasing games in the future if you have specific expectations. GW2 has been very openly marketed as a game without power based endgame progression which is based around the ideas of maximizing fun and level playing fields.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

in WvW

Posted by: ohac.8720

ohac.8720

Nice response Thrashbarg, you should be a gw2 community rep +1 sir.

Tracker

Tracker Maximous, Guardious Maximous, Arcanious Maximous, [DH] DragonHorn Officer
http://www.dragonhorn.net

in WvW

Posted by: wictred.3109

wictred.3109

who said “power based endgame progression”?

how would something like – let’s say – a wvw rank give you any “power” or “advantage”?

progression could also mean bada** armor skins (please don’t come up with the honor badges pyjama armor) or titles that the enemy could see.

so if you play spvp 24/7 then you get a title that others can see in wvw, if you do a lot of wvw then there’s nothing but the ridiculous wvw achievement titles.

boy, this blows.

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

in WvW

Posted by: TheKrayzeee.5938

TheKrayzeee.5938

progression could also mean bada** armor skins (please don’t come up with the honor badges pyjama armor) or titles that the enemy could see.

Why does “progression” always have to be determined by the system? Isn’t it reward enough that, if you play WvW very often , do it well and maybe make some calls and lead your allies, your name will be known on the server? Yes, it would be nice if enemies could see your name as well, and will probably fear you, but thats another problem. If you’re doing it with your guild, your guild will be known amongst the enemies and your allies. So your guildname is like a title itself. Yes, nice armor and titles are shiny, but do you really need stuff like that to have fun playing a game? If so, you make me sad…

“Resisting is a reaction. Protecting is a decision.
Defending is an instinct. But fighting is a way of life.”
Karana Silveen | Human Warrior | Abaddon’s Mouth [DE] | Legion Night Stalkers [LNS]

in WvW

wictred.3109

Actually I don’t need it myself. If my enemies would have that and I’d run around in crafted stuff with “rank 1” then that would still be enough for me.

You probably never played DAoC. GW2 doesn’t even get close.

in WvW

TheKrayzeee.5938

No , i did not play DAoC, i just played WoW and GW. That show-off in WoW nowadays with titles for every little fart you do, and the chasing for gear was annoying. I liked it in GW, where you got a gladiator-title , yes , but your enemys did not see it either. You could show it while idling around , but in combat areas nobody could see it (or am i wrong here? I did not play it for a while now …).Even the rank-emotes were too much in my opinion. I just dont get why people always need something to show how good they are, other than just playing as good as they can. I mean , if you play well, people see it. You dont need something like a title to prove it , do you ?

Karana Silveen | Human Warrior | Abaddon’s Mouth [DE] | Legion Night Stalkers [LNS]

in WvW

wictred.3109

Nope, but it is a visible “progress”, even if it’s just a bar that’s moving and you get some “reward” when it is full. It’s something to look forward to.

I had zerg fights in GW2, small group fights (3-4 of us vs a couple enemies) and easy 1vs3+ fights and a bunch of impossible 1vs1 fights where I had no chance. All of it was “fun” but I’m missing the “progress” part.
And this progress doesn’t need to give any advantage (like better stats etc), I think that’s the important thing here.

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Look at the map if you want to see progress.

However, you do have various bars that move forward in WvW: Your level bar, your achievements bars, your karma and badges totals. Anyways, there’s no indication that they won’t add more titles/vanity gear, but those are the kinds of things you’ll have to wait for; this game did just come out, after all.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in WvW

wictred.3109

- i don’t care about any realm war map progress if the enemies are exchangeable.
- there is no karma for wvw kills, but you get karma for killing guards. it’s just another currency that you can farm.
- badges are also not “progress”, it’s just farming.

it’s good that all these things work nicely for YOU but apparently there are a couple players who see it differently. But don’t bother. A lot of them have left already.

in WvW

Posted by: DirtyDeeds.6075

DirtyDeeds.6075

There are lots of people who can’t handle a level playing field and need some armor or weapons advantage to be competitive. There are others who will never progress far in skill and need the extra bonus that “better than your gear” brings to a fight.

As others in this thread are saying, there are also plenty of games to chose from that offer that.

in WvW

TheKrayzeee.5938

- i don’t care about any realm war map progress if the enemies are exchangeable.
- there is no karma for wvw kills, but you get karma for killing guards. it’s just another currency that you can farm.
- badges are also not “progress”, it’s just farming.

it’s good that all these things work nicely for YOU but apparently there are a couple players who see it differently. But don’t bother. A lot of them have left already.

Whats the difference in titles and/armor then? You “farm up” titles as well. The more you play the more titlepoints you get. The more you play the more armor can you buy (with a currency you usually need to farm). Progress IS farming and has been farming in any game i know…

in WvW

Posted by: Sue.4361

Sue.4361

What some of you fail to realize is that people will not PvP when there is no hope of winning their match without personal gain incentives. I think gear progression is a horrible idea, but there needs to be something to keep people interested, no matter what the odds are.

in WvW

Posted by: ako.8973

ako.8973

Match should be for fun and server pride, free transfers is not helping the second at all.

Big Picture
Desolation ~ Just the [Tip]

in WvW

Posted by: Radiodread.8469

Radiodread.8469

“Power of the Mists is awarded to players in PvE and WvW based on the war score of their home world. It includes bonuses to health, gathering and crafting among others. A player will receive the bonuses of their home world even when guesting on other worlds.”

Wow…yippeee. 3 hours in World vs World for absolutely no payback.

If below 80, where is the XP? Why not have levels like in SPVP? I spent 4 hours in there last night and got absolutely NOTHING out of it? Why even bother? What is the hook for level 80 players to even keep doing this?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/One-Vets-Feedback-On-WvW

I’m with you, I’d much rather play a game that gives me some sort of pretend in game currency of some sort than one that is entertaining and challenging.

Radiodread, Guardian [Os] NSP
AKA: Darkshines, Schroedingers Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: ower.9143

ower.9143

This topic continues to surface, and I continue to be baffled by it.

The things in life which give tangible “rewards” are the things which are fairly unimportant. Fun is it’s own reward, and if that doesn’t feel like enough then it probably isn’t really fun.

I have 2 suggestions for people missing the rewards in GW2, and these are not meant to be insulting at all, just honest advice:

1) Play one (or more) of the hundreds of other games out there which use the exponential power increase carrot-stick-treadmill model instead. GW2 is one of the very few games of this genre not using that model, and there are many gamers who prefer horizontal to vertical progression. Everyone is entitled to their preferences, and there is room in the world for games to accommodate them all.

2) Do a bit of research before purchasing games in the future if you have specific expectations. GW2 has been very openly marketed as a game without power based endgame progression which is based around the ideas of maximizing fun and level playing fields.

what this guy said 100X

in WvW

Posted by: ower.9143

ower.9143

What some of you fail to realize is that people will not PvP when there is no hope of winning their match without personal gain incentives. I think gear progression is a horrible idea, but there needs to be something to keep people interested, no matter what the odds are.

then have something set up like DAoC did with the Darkness falls dungeon. Who ever controlled the relics had access to the dungeon. I really don’t want to see a PvE disguised as PvP carrot on a stick gear tier set grinds.

in WvW

TheKrayzeee.5938

And thats somehow sad in itself…

in WvW

Posted by: Brigadier Pudding.6149

Brigadier Pudding.6149

While fun should be the #1 factor keeping people playing, there is a lot to be said about other systems of motivation. Offline games in general tend to keep peoples attention for less time than MMO’s; they might be fun, but after playing 100 games of virtual basketball or killing 1000 nazi’s one simply gets bored.

Take online shooters for example. Personally, I’ve found games like CoD – games with progression to back up the innate fun of killing my peers – to have better longevity than those without.

I understand where most of these “Fun is the reward, duh!” posts are coming from. I don’t want a WoW-style gear grind either, or anything that forces me to play some way I don’t want to for months before I can compete how I’d like. But there are other ways to include progression. Take DAoC style RP system, tone it down a bit and include cosmetic rewards / titles. Or come up with an even better idea.

in WvW

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

The progress comes in terms of how well your server does and the WvW titles. What I think should happen though is that getting gold rewards for participating in siege activities (taking keeps for instance) should automatically reward badges. Of course, this shouldn’t be implemented on supply camps/routes or if one sever is dominating the map because they lack any competition. Then, the sense of progress would be back IMO