There is a 4th enemy in WvW - Lag

in WvW

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

The fourth enemy is the grub, if you aren’t killing the grub you are probably very bored almost the entire time.

They just need to throw a lupricus somewhere in there and get it over with, that dudes a boss, and fun to fight.

The two funnest fights I’ve had in this game were Lupricus, then the Grub, players, not so much, they rank right above gates and walls.

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

in WvW

Posted by: Mug.9403

Mug.9403

I have been in a fight with 150 people total in DAoC and able to play. They definitely all rendered. (server and client side)

After that it gets creepy… what would normally happen is the server would crash (around 200 – 250).

There were also just a few “instances” (about 4) to handle the RvR areas. Here in say Eternal… there are probably 50+.

In Planetside, I have been in a fight with almost 300 people in it and was playing just fine. The reason is “client side hit detection” and decent server code… if you know what that is… this is the reason FPSs generally support less people than an MMO… because the good ones don’t have it. Some of them are even so poorly coded that they DO have it AND support less people.

They’ve got some work to do here, and none of it is client related.

in WvW

Posted by: tarnin.1690

tarnin.1690

The people claiming that DAoC had no issues with large fights are simply wrong, but even if it was true, they are failing to take into account that GW2 requires a far higher number of calculations per character, and that the calculations involved are far more complicated. Cross-profession combos for example mean that every combo field must interact with the potentially hundreds of finishers being executed every few seconds in a large fight. Then you’ve got walls that reflect projectiles back to their source, dodging, active blocking, projectile obstruction etc.

The servers that they make now are also tons better than what it was running. There should be limited server or db lag now. The server should be doing nothing but crunching numbers and talking to the db. I’ll bet the bottle neck is to the db servers trying to dig out information and its why you don’t see rubber banding in large sieges but a ton of spell/ability lag. Now that I write that, i wonder if they are using tcp/ip instead of udp for character placement to cut down on rubber banding but its increasing the overhead.

To the guy who said that DAoC was “slower”. You sir didn’t play for crap then. Tons of insta abilities, ablatives, group heal pools, and spells cast so fast it was faster than the animation (350-400dex caster). In a relic raid i could shoot out 3 instas back to back and start casting all with no lag. This was with a macro on top of it all with .25ms pause between the instas.

in WvW

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

I took a look at daoc the other day and had no problem seeing why all the players there were looking for another game.

I wasn’t looking for another game, just a continuation of the previous one.

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

in WvW

Posted by: tarnin.1690

tarnin.1690

I took a look at daoc the other day and had no problem seeing why all the players there were looking for another game.

I wasn’t looking for another game, just a continuation of the previous one.

DAoC is what? 13 years old now? No kidding they are looking for something new. The point still stands that a gen2 mmo could handle 100’s of players in one location and this one chokes.

in WvW

Posted by: Raffie.7865

Raffie.7865

They will keep tweeking the servers, but its not going to be fixed over night at all.

www.infowars.com and also lookup Agenda 21
www.graystatemovie.com its coming if you like it or not.

in WvW

Posted by: Zireael.3285

Zireael.3285

Raffie, Warhammer nor Rift never fixed it. Those games were designed to NOT render more then certain amount of people/effects in one place. So the question is not when, the question is if at all.

(edited by Zireael.3285)

in WvW

Posted by: Scalyon.7028

Scalyon.7028

DAoC was indeed a great game for its day. I played over 6 years and to this day still think back to my realm pride ( Midgard for life! ).

However, it was NOT free from the Lagzilla. You could “feel” the zerg approaching as your FPS began to drop. This was most noticable during Relic Raids. It was not uncommon to experience single-digit FPS during these times.

The problem here is simply metrics. If you design a game to permit 300 players in one map instance then you’d better plan on supporting the capability of actually having all 300 players located in the same vicinity. If the reality is that you can’t support your design then you need to go back and re-design.

in WvW

Zireael.3285

Exactly my point, Scalyon. But at that moment things like amount of money/time needed to re-design faulty engine come into equation, along with how many people can this investment attract vs. how many people will leave until it happens. Usually the necessity to re-design the core of your game is way to expensive/time consuming for the investors to care to pay for it. Then the game goes into limbo state, where it’s only supported along it’s current content and some additional content being added to inject false hope into people that something will change. After a year or two the game dies bringing enough money overall to restart the cycle and within 3-4 years the same company releases another similar game.

The main question is if we are already in limbo state, because Anet from being awfully entusiastic about their game became awfully quiet.

in WvW

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

How do you guys know it’s server side? Everyone is just providing complaints but I don’t see anyone giving specifics about their computer specs, the fps and ping they were getting, what server they were on and/or time of day, how many players were in the immediate vicinity, any other possibly pertinent details.

Habib was just giving you guys an overview of what could possibly be the cause of your lag. Until you give more specific details and make your own efforts to try and solve your issue to determine what doesn’t work, only then can Anet see what actually is the problem (if it is there servers). You can’t expect others to help you if you make no effort to help yourself first.

in WvW

Zireael.3285

Leiloni, you just came to this forum or started playing the game yesterday? EVERYONE in my guild, and that’s way over 100 ppl, have this issue. Ppl with all kinds of computers, from insanely good, to garbage. It’s server side, it’s proven and confirmed even by Anet in this very thread.

in WvW

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

I have never heard anyone complain about it and I haven’t had issues with it, either. As far as this thread, no one is giving any details except complaints and no, Habib did not say it was an issue their side at all. He merely said “here are the types of lag you can encounter and what causes them”.

in WvW

Zireael.3285

Ok, did you ever happen to be in situations in WvW where at least two servers cap limit meet each other in one place? That means over a 100 people in one spot.

Yes, he said that lag you encounter may come from those sources. It does not come from network nor client performance in the case of my guild nor other people that I spoke with that had the same problem. We’re not asking for assistance here, we’re not talking with support, so you see no specs. Client and network issues were ruled out by people that have this issue for some time now. They may be network issues on Anet side. Either way it’s not people PC’s at fault here.

in WvW

Posted by: Scalyon.7028

Scalyon.7028

My main beef with the current system is the “Culling” technology in place that prevents the server sending all player data in my immediate vicinity to my PC. Being killed by invisible players is NOT my idea of fun. This needs fixed ASAP.

Reference https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/BUG-Mobs-and-players-suddenly-appearing-pop-in/page/2#post244295

in WvW

Posted by: buki.3108

buki.3108

I think Habib is saying that it’s an algorithm problem (assuming it is server complications.) If it’s O^2 then they would need to find a serious mistake in the algorithm to make it run better than O^2.

in WvW

Posted by: Kyte.3986

Kyte.3986

Eve would have scheduled events with at least 24 hours notice, such as POSes and stations coming out of reinforcement, so CCP could swap a ton of servers to that node over night.

With GW2, though, someone brought up this point that it could be 250 people randomly charging to any one area of a battle ground, so you can’t prepare more server-power for the fights as needed.

And yeah… eve time dilatation at 90%+ is NOT a fix to lag… Not saying that this culling system is the greatest fix either… but if aNet could at least give us the name plates to know an enemy is there it would be nice.

in WvW

Posted by: kousei.5914

kousei.5914

At this point, I’m beginning to assume it has more to do with code quality and network than hardware. They had no issue adding extra servers meaning they had extra hardware capabilities. As a software developer, it’s awful to see push after push break things. I’ve yet to see ANET push a patch that didn’t have issues. Bad code = inefficient code.

Unfortunately, Zireael is right. The video game industry as a whole has moved away from creating quality product to “let’s just make an ROI, they won’t be playing after 6 months anyway”… Just look at Skyrim…

Leader of Marked Souls [MkS]
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Arson.4189

Arson.4189

Question is…..will anet allow there game to fail or are they going to fork over the money for new servers and more bandwidth…I would like to hope the future is bright as I really like the game.

It’s not lookin like that tho : ( WoW Vanilla had better performance and fps then this game. Well at least they know its client side and server side performance and they aren’t just telling us we all have crappy computer’s.

in WvW

Posted by: Lativado.2308

Lativado.2308

Why is this not fixed yet? Tired of dying to what I can’t see, oh also tired of my teleportation attempts being rubberbanded (both at gates and WPs)

in WvW

Posted by: Raffie.7865

Raffie.7865

Now and then I get the unseen enemies.
Never got the rubberband effect tho.
I love my fiber optic connection.

www.infowars.com and also lookup Agenda 21
www.graystatemovie.com its coming if you like it or not.

in WvW

Posted by: Windklinge.4076

Windklinge.4076

please you guys at anet. there is one thing you can still do to improve performance CLIENT wise with ease for big battles.

put in the option namend “effects SELF” so a player who enables this will only see effects of thier OWN character. this would help a BIG deal with client performance on large battles esp. for the ones not having super highend pcs. nearly every game i played had this option for large scale fights.

i dont need to see every kittening fireball used on a big battlefield to have fun. be able to SEE my enemies and have less lag is way more important than that.

and also since its a option every player can DECIDE by themselfs if they want that or not. theres virtually NO reason to not include such an options in the menĂ¼.

i can run the game just fine execept the moments when really large amounts of people are in the same place. making an option liks this with a quick way to trigger it would help ALOT in therms of client performance.

please patch this in.

in WvW

Posted by: BlueOrange.5740

BlueOrange.5740

EVE lag is far worse than GW2 lag. In EVE, the player QQ has often gone like this:

“After getting 10 frames a minute for 3 minutes, I saw a loading screen, and woke up in a station.”

in WvW

Posted by: BlueOrange.5740

BlueOrange.5740

Client-side hit detection? Wow, I can see the complaints about ‘unhittable’ and ‘never miss’ hacks in Planetside now.

in WvW

Posted by: CrystalKnight.3619

CrystalKnight.3619

I didn’t bother reading so idk if it was said or not. but just being in Eternal Battlegrounds was making me lag. all 3 servers were at stonemist fighting, and i was near the spawn area and was lagging wondering if it happens to anyone else.