Thief and Mesmer in wvw

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Condi shatter is a lot easier to handle then the older pu non chrono as a thief tbh.

Are people claiming thief it self is op or jus d/p? I sometimes see power d/d and s/d but they don’t get much hate at all.

D/D is mostly a one trick pony with not a whole lot going on outside of a “teleport onto a guy with precast C&D and backstab” sure it’s an instagib on anything remotely squishy if you can’t see them but that’s about it. By can’t see them I mean someone who is hiding round a corner to teleport or in a small scale fight where you don’t know it’s D/D yet.

S/D I honestly have only seen maybe 3 thieves in WvW running S/D since HoT so have no idea tbh.

The rest of the dislike comes from how apart from shadowstep thieves have very low cool downs on thier skills. Adding on the ability to be immune to all soft CC and get away from absolutely everything except another thief or druid longbow if they start rapid fire at close range as they try to run. It’s like a lot of other HoT specs there’s very little risk and a lot of reward vs anything that has moderate to high risk.

This is from a power shatter perspective though where even 0.5s lapse in attention will mean death. There’s just so little risk in the meta builds now vs non meta and all classes suffer, it’s especially hilarious seeing people act like berserker, DH, scrapper and rev are not part of the problem.

Same for everything though. D/P Daredevil and to some extent staff are pretty overloaded while the rest of the thief is straight garbage being a gimmick at best unless there’s a serious skill disparity.

Utility cooldowns are pretty standard outside of the Daredevil ones which are just absurdly low for whatever reason, though this is the case with every elite. Understand that the mesmer has pretty high cooldowns but its utilities are also typically much stronger per cast as stand-alone abilities. BV’s probably one of the big exceptions in regards to low-cooldown utilities, but depending on the matchup it can have more/less impact than others.

It pretty much comes down to stealth stacking and ease-of-play on the elites, though.

Shadowstep is a flat out better version than blink, and infiltrator’s signet is another free gap closer that also feeds you initiative and breaks stun, again. Your last slot is pure choice, and not only do we have shadow refuge, haste, or roll for initative assuming that for some reason you don’t want to use assassin’s signet.

Before you’d have to sacrifice your heal slot for hide in shadows if you wanted some condi clear and some investment into shadow arts.

But now all you need is a freaking daredevil trait that cleanses conditions every time you evade, on a clkittened up with evades, so you can also take the heal that not only heals you for a metric ton and gives you even more evades, but is on a low cooldown to boot compared to the 30 sec of hide in shadows.

Thieves just say every other set is bad because every other set is not as OP as is the benchmark of D/P or staff.

A fair amount of S/P thieves and even a few S/D were running before HoT came along and broke everything to hell by gifting thief a traitline that combined all of acrobatics and shadow arts appeals of condi clense and evasion in one and gave you a bunch of extra damage modifiers to boot in addition to complete immunity to snares and roots.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Condi shatter is a lot easier to handle then the older pu non chrono as a thief tbh.

Are people claiming thief it self is op or jus d/p? I sometimes see power d/d and s/d but they don’t get much hate at all.

D/D is mostly a one trick pony with not a whole lot going on outside of a “teleport onto a guy with precast C&D and backstab” sure it’s an instagib on anything remotely squishy if you can’t see them but that’s about it. By can’t see them I mean someone who is hiding round a corner to teleport or in a small scale fight where you don’t know it’s D/D yet.

S/D I honestly have only seen maybe 3 thieves in WvW running S/D since HoT so have no idea tbh.

The rest of the dislike comes from how apart from shadowstep thieves have very low cool downs on thier skills. Adding on the ability to be immune to all soft CC and get away from absolutely everything except another thief or druid longbow if they start rapid fire at close range as they try to run. It’s like a lot of other HoT specs there’s very little risk and a lot of reward vs anything that has moderate to high risk.

This is from a power shatter perspective though where even 0.5s lapse in attention will mean death. There’s just so little risk in the meta builds now vs non meta and all classes suffer, it’s especially hilarious seeing people act like berserker, DH, scrapper and rev are not part of the problem.

Same for everything though. D/P Daredevil and to some extent staff are pretty overloaded while the rest of the thief is straight garbage being a gimmick at best unless there’s a serious skill disparity.

Utility cooldowns are pretty standard outside of the Daredevil ones which are just absurdly low for whatever reason, though this is the case with every elite. Understand that the mesmer has pretty high cooldowns but its utilities are also typically much stronger per cast as stand-alone abilities. BV’s probably one of the big exceptions in regards to low-cooldown utilities, but depending on the matchup it can have more/less impact than others.

It pretty much comes down to stealth stacking and ease-of-play on the elites, though.

A fair amount of mesmer skills are still vastly unimpressive though.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Zenith.7301

That sweet mantra of pain that you channel to do one sword autoattack or less worth of damage when mesmer sword autoattacks are one of the worst DPS autos in the game.

Or maybe those wonderful phantasm utilities nobody uses because said utility phantasms compete with your DPS phantasms for a slot.

Or maybe the terrible signets mesmers have outside signet of inspiration.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

If you’re dying to a Thief in WvW 1v1, and you believe yourself a skilled player, then your build and/or gear is not suited for 1v1. The only thing that a thief currently is suited to kill 1v1 on equal footing (both gear and 1v1 built), is another thief. Everything else is due to a PEBKAC.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

If you’re dying to a Thief in WvW 1v1, and you believe yourself a skilled player, then your build and/or gear is not suited for 1v1. The only thing that a thief currently is suited to kill 1v1 on equal footing (both gear and 1v1 built), is another thief. Everything else is due to a PEBKAC.

Lol, you’re just bad at thief then, thief (DP at least) will eat revs alive, necro, power mes, any form of power ele and can have a good chance against non eternal champion warriors. Before you come back with “play thief if you think it’s good” I do and have played thief in WvW, I just find it an abysmally boring class.

Not sure how it raids against druids after the CA cool down increase, I’m sure deceiver would be able to enlighten us on how that goes.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Turk.5460

Lol, you’re just bad at thief then, thief (DP at least) will eat revs alive, necro, power mes, any form of power ele and can have a good chance against non eternal champion warriors. Before you come back with “play thief if you think it’s good” I do and have played thief in WvW, I just find it an abysmally boring class.

Not sure how it raids against druids after the CA cool down increase, I’m sure deceiver would be able to enlighten us on how that goes.

Oh you’ve played thief! Good! Now show us the videos of you so easily winning all your fights. Shouldn’t be a hard task for someone so confident. Video capture software is incredibly easy to use, in fact most modern GPU software comes with it standard. Until then, your rebuttle is just another whine from someone who doesn’t understand their own profession, nor Thief.

-Sorrow’s Furnace-

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

apharma.3741

Oh you’ve played thief! Good! Now show us the videos of you so easily winning all your fights. Shouldn’t be a hard task for someone so confident. Video capture software is incredibly easy to use, in fact most modern GPU software comes with it standard. Until then, your rebuttle is just another whine from someone who doesn’t understand their own profession, nor Thief.

Lol guess I hit a nerve, you’re the one who made the claim others had to L2P, there’s tons of videos of thieves destroying the classes mentioned. I have nothing to prove, most people who understand thief know DP has it easy vs what I mentioned, it’s only you that seems to disagree.

Sindrener, Teressimo, Touch of shadows, Aurora Legend all have roaming videos you can watch just off the top of my head.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Lol guess I hit a nerve, you’re the one who made the claim others had to L2P, there’s tons of videos of thieves destroying the classes mentioned. I have nothing to prove, most people who understand thief know DP has it easy vs what I mentioned, it’s only you that seems to disagree.

Sindrener, Teressimo, Touch of shadows, Aurora Legend all have roaming videos you can watch just off the top of my head.

He didn’t ask to watch Pro/high skilled players wrecking noobs, he wanted you to show how easy and unkillable Thief is as well as killing every class so easily.

Attachments:

(edited by BlaqueFyre.5678)

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Check mate you lost bro. Time to put up the vid or just bow out gracefully at this point.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

OriOri.8724

Check mate you lost bro. Time to put up the vid or just bow out gracefully at this point.

Says the person who never, ever backs up any of their claims with a video? Lol

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: miguelsil.6324

miguelsil.6324

Mine s bigger than yours discussion now?

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

apharma.3741

Why would I want to make videos for someone who can’t play his class? Like I say, watch the people who main thief and care to upload stuff, common themes in the videos are: killing necros, power revs, power ele, mesmers and the other classes mentioned with the occasional kill of condi mesmers.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Coronit.9432

Coronit.9432

Why would I want to make videos for someone who can’t play his class? Like I say, watch the people who main thief and care to upload stuff, common themes in the videos are: killing necros, power revs, power ele, mesmers and the other classes mentioned with the occasional kill of condi mesmers.

Stupid thread as always, lmao.
First, all classes are broken as kitten. Most more than thief.
Shadowsteb broken? most ports are on shorter cd than shadowstep and hav other effects. Shadowstep is ok. No cd´s on initiative? For Real? If someone still thinks initiative isn´t a different form of cd I really have to question there sanity. It was proven then every class has lower cd overall then thief, so shut up.

Thief can occ always? so can a lot of classes easier, cause thief uses ressources needed fot combat. Other classers doesn´t rely on that (need less do fully disengage). Just don´t chase a thief and destroy him, when he engages fgs.

The last month it was exactly one thief that gave me troubles and that was Sindrener, anyone else mentioned wasn´t difficult to kill. Tbh Terrisimo had to reset 3 times before she killed me the last time (everything ele was reviewed as rev).

Thief has ONE reason to be in wvw and that is skirmishing. So let him that role. If you get killed by thief, the thief was either very good or you very bad. Its on your side to sort this out (of course you are a god and did no mistakes, how could that be).

Tbh a lot of people here have no clue about the combat system. People that play the game srsly know the stuff. kittenING LEARN TO PLAY

Thief for Live – Noc
Pls more Noc-Noc-Jokes…
How to counter Unrelenting Assault… Not anymore :<

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Zenith.7301

What other effects do these other “short” cd ports have? Because blink has no secondary effect, lightning flash just does less damage than a single autoattack and doesn’t stunbreak unlike shadow step, and phase traversal is not a ground targeted port nor does it stun break.

So please tell me about these mystical short cd ports with multiple effects you’re talking about.

Oh, right, you’re full of it.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

What other effects do these other “short” cd ports have? Because blink has no secondary effect, lightning flash just does less damage than a single autoattack and doesn’t stunbreak unlike shadow step, and phase traversal is not a ground targeted port nor does it stun break.

So please tell me about these mystical short cd ports with multiple effects you’re talking about.

because both of them and other class’s has passive’s to carry them, and or, better utilatys with in the class them self. what you fail to understand is that even though shadow step is “overloaded” it is all we have as a primary stun breaker and condi clear (meta d/p not lame d/d evade crp) – once this has gone we have nothing left. also what you don’t understand is that when we are porting away with shortbow, we have failed and lost the fight, porting away with short bow is 6 inactive, thats is 6/15… yes i know it is annoying that thives can just port away like this but that is all they can so deal with it. shadow step is 50 seconds. others are like 30 or less.

I on purposely baited out a power Mesmer’s defence mode and with the right rotation of blurred frenzy f4/5 sword sheild. he was able sustain him stelf long enough to burst me on my thief from 100 – 0 with in 10 second window.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

(edited by Fat Disgrace.4275)

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Some classes are not so reliant on stunbreaks because they have an ample supply of stability and rarely get stunned. The need for a stun break on a warrior is hardly the same as on a Thief. A thief very often requires two and more because ONE not enough whereas I can trait Zero on my Warriors utilities and do fine.

By the way my warrior has STOMP which is a stun break, applies stacks of stability , does very nice raw damage , can interrupt up to 5 opponents at once while proccing sigil of draining on each, this all while he immune to conditions via resistance. It is also a blast finisher and a multiple knockback. Talk about “lots of things in one”

That is on a lower cooldown then is Shadowstep, which by the way can very often not be used as a cleanse because it means porting BACK to get that cleanse which very often means back into a maelstromn of AOE that will kill you.

Oh and if that not enough, I can trait stomp to break Immobs. Indeed there a number of utitlity skills one can enhance with secondray traits and abilities that make thm far more useful then they first appear on paper. Shadowstep, outside traiting for a lower cooldown via a trait rarely used, is about as good as it can get.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Coronit.9432

Coronit.9432

As you see from other people, the case is different on Every. Single. Class. For example its easier to spec into other ports. Shadowstep is deception, even when Shadowarts was on his prime (after june 2015), no on ewas using cd reduction, just not worth it. Even the condi remove (which got nerfed) was superior on that. Shadowstep being staple on thief isn´t because its OP, its because other stuff is kitten. Even shadow refuge (called OP by scrubs earlier) got out from our bar, cause easy counterplay). Bait out shadowrefuge and its easy. Even though bandits defense is on a such low cd, blinding powder (with 40sec cd) is still considered better by lot of people.

btw I´m mostly roaming on rev. Some people her say its bad fpr roaming, well, most thieves don´t stand a chance against me (still, except sindrener), so stop saying bullkitten.

Thief for Live – Noc
Pls more Noc-Noc-Jokes…
How to counter Unrelenting Assault… Not anymore :<

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Zenith.7301

Some classes are not so reliant on stunbreaks because they have an ample supply of stability and rarely get stunned. The need for a stun break on a warrior is hardly the same as on a Thief. A thief very often requires two and more because ONE not enough whereas I can trait Zero on my Warriors utilities and do fine.

By the way my warrior has STOMP which is a stun break, applies stacks of stability , does very nice raw damage , can interrupt up to 5 opponents at once while proccing sigil of draining on each, this all while he immune to conditions via resistance. It is also a blast finisher and a multiple knockback. Talk about “lots of things in one”

That is on a lower cooldown then is Shadowstep, which by the way can very often not be used as a cleanse because it means porting BACK to get that cleanse which very often means back into a maelstromn of AOE that will kill you.

Oh and if that not enough, I can trait stomp to break Immobs. Indeed there a number of utitlity skills one can enhance with secondray traits and abilities that make thm far more useful then they first appear on paper. Shadowstep, outside traiting for a lower cooldown via a trait rarely used, is about as good as it can get.

The only classes who have ample stability are warrior and guardian. So, try again. anger has a 60 and 90 sec cd on stability, one of which is their elite.

Revenant, no stability unless a single 3 sec stack after dodging by speccing into the garbage retribution line that nerfs your damage by more than 20% (you either give up invocation stunbreaks on legendswap or shiro’s sheer damage modifiers).

Mesmer’s only stability is on a mantra nobody uses because it’s garbage as with most mantras that aren’t mantra of distraction.

Necromancer ample supply of stability? lolololol most CC susceptible class in the game, only stability on a long kitten cd reaper shroud skill whose stability is removed the moment you leave death shroud.

So please go peddle this spiel that only thieves get pinballed around.

In fact, with shadowstep, hard to catch, and bandit’s defense, you’ve got some of the best CC breaks in the game.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

thief has stabilty if they use dagger storm.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

babazhook.6805

The only classes who have ample stability are warrior and guardian. So, try again. anger has a 60 and 90 sec cd on stability, one of which is their elite.

Revenant, no stability unless a single 3 sec stack after dodging by speccing into the garbage retribution line that nerfs your damage by more than 20% (you either give up invocation stunbreaks on legendswap or shiro’s sheer damage modifiers).

Mesmer’s only stability is on a mantra nobody uses because it’s garbage as with most mantras that aren’t mantra of distraction.

Necromancer ample supply of stability? lolololol most CC susceptible class in the game, only stability on a long kitten cd reaper shroud skill whose stability is removed the moment you leave death shroud.

In fact, with shadowstep, hard to catch, and bandit’s defense, you’ve got some of the best CC breaks in the game.

Immaterial to the argument at hand. I showed to you what a single warrior skill can do and you want to talk about necroes. I no where stated ALL classes had access to stability. You just move the goalposts everytime a point you make refuted. Sad really but typical.

Now go play your thief and kill any that you see.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Turk.5460

Way to throw the same l2p I did, an equivalent to the “no u!” squeal.

I think someone else already said this at you a few posts up, but I want to see you, (someone who probably has not a lot of hours playing thief, but claims how easy it is) make a video of how easy it is. What does mentioning pro streamers who have obviously mastered the class so anything for your argument. Getting desperate, eh?

Chop chop, you make the claim, the burden of proof lies upon you, kiddo.

-Sorrow’s Furnace-

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

apharma.3741

I think someone else already said this at you a few posts up, but I want to see you, (someone who probably has not a lot of hours playing thief, but claims how easy it is) make a video of how easy it is. What does mentioning pro streamers who have obviously mastered the class so anything for your argument. Getting desperate, eh?

I just sent back the L2P at you because you’re as likely to upload proof of your claims as much as anyone else. I don’t make videos of GW2, people who are interested in doing that can go do that, besides we all know making a video is a trap and here’s why:

If you upload a lot of killing people easily others will claim the others a noobs, bads etc. If you fight someone noteworthy you will lose because as I said before, I don’t main thief as I think it’s a boring class to play.

You made the claim “The only thing that a thief currently is suited to kill 1v1 on equal footing (both gear and 1v1 built), is another thief” which is a flat out lie. Thief eats power mes, necro, anything that isn’t bunker ele as well as non eternal champion warriors. You know if you aren’t going the whole setting up 1v1s where you change weapons and traits to counter that specific class/build.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

What is with all the thieves still acting like thief is the hardest kitten ever…

No passives? Have you seen acro?

Don’t run carry acro build? So you’re probably Dash Dash Infil Arrow never die burst build?

There is no semblance of risk to this class anymore in roaming. It is the perfect solo roamer. You want “risk” go play a zerk GS necro, glhf.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Turk.5460

I just sent back the L2P at you because you’re as likely to upload proof of your claims as much as anyone else. I don’t make videos of GW2, people who are interested in doing that can go do that, besides we all know making a video is a trap and here’s why:

If you upload a lot of killing people easily others will claim the others a noobs, bads etc. If you fight someone noteworthy you will lose because as I said before, I don’t main thief as I think it’s a boring class to play.

You made the claim “The only thing that a thief currently is suited to kill 1v1 on equal footing (both gear and 1v1 built), is another thief” which is a flat out lie. Thief eats power mes, necro, anything that isn’t bunker ele as well as non eternal champion warriors. You know if you aren’t going the whole setting up 1v1s where you change weapons and traits to counter that specific class/build.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

As someone else stated, you already lost this one, buddy. It’s OK, one day you’ll understand how to fight against disadvantaged players. You just gotta keep practicing!

-Sorrow’s Furnace-

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Meta ranger has permanent stability uptime, as does scrapper, and rev has very high uptime as well.

Many power shatter players also run MoP since it hits for several thousand damage and has a very low cooldown, plus no animation, plus range, plus channeled toughness on-demand, and deals damage regardless of stability which so many professions have so much access to.

The necro I’ll give you. The stab nerfs to reaper shroud weren’t justified as harsh as they are imho.

Really, though, mesmer and thief both have similar sustained mobility. Shadowstep is overloaded, but there aren’t good alternatives in the core class unless you look into sacrificing entire trait lines just for condition cleansing, both of which are passive and pretty boring. Daredevil is a problem, but it’s a necessary problem given the game-state as it is. When was the last time you were afraid of a core thief outside of condi trapper? Probably not since HoT. Daredevil made the class too hard to pin down, and they made Acro a passive line because it was literally the same concept as Daredevil with near-identical implementation.

Daredevil/Thief 2.0 is a very easy and forgiving profession to play relative to core. But pretty much so are all elites.

Overall, though, the thief is pretty much fight or flight. A thief running away won’t kill you. If he resets, you should also be resetting, and most of playing against thief and beating it is understanding how it may reengage and when.

Is it overpowered? Not particularly, but is it badly-designed? Absolutely. But Shadowstep isn’t the culprit. Daredevil is. And no, the remaining thief stunbreaks are all pretty much terrible. iSignet is the same as blink but requires a target and doesn’t do anything during its downtime, and the initiative is 1/10s uptime. Mantra if Concentration is actually just flat-out better as a stunbreak, and you said even that’s terrible. RFI is probably one of the worst stunbreaks in the game, typically enjoyed only by people running some kind of gimmick.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Zenith.7301

Immaterial to the argument at hand. I showed to you what a single warrior skill can do and you want to talk about necroes. I no where stated ALL classes had access to stability. You just move the goalposts everytime a point you make refuted. Sad really but typical.

No, what’s immaterial is you shamelessly bringing in another broken kitten class like warrior to make a point when warrior and thief needs nerfs, they don’t justify each other.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

No, what’s immaterial is you shamelessly bringing in another broken kitten class like warrior to make a point when warrior and thief needs nerfs, they don’t justify each other.

Everything needs nerfs so it is pointless to point out individual classes, but I forget myself the community only wants their classes to be OP and brain dead easy while others aren’t.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

Correction: Berserkers and Daredevils are a bit broken. Warriors are ok, and thieves are probably underpowered.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

babazhook.6805

The thread is about “doing something about mesmer and thief” . You decided to turn this into a vendatta against thieves because you are unable to play against them. My using other examples of builds that are OP since HOT (and there are MORE , I just need the one as example) is to demonstrate all of your posts on the matter are biased.

If as others have pointed out there issues with other classes then this not a THIEF problem.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

apharma.3741

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

As someone else stated, you already lost this one, buddy. It’s OK, one day you’ll understand how to fight against disadvantaged players. You just gotta keep practicing!

Ok lets see what statements I made with the reasoning I used to back up my claims:

“Sorry but immunity to all soft CC, 6-8 consecutive dodges and the ability to double teleport 1800 range away (not including shadowstep for another 1200) with one of the lowest cool down stunbreak+block in the game while also having enough stealth to ensure you won’t be seen for enough time that you cannot be tracked.

I mean sure it’s more risky than say wanderer druid but in terms of risk for reward its way more rewarding than risky."

“The rest of the dislike comes from how apart from shadowstep thieves have very low cool downs on thier skills. Adding on the ability to be immune to all soft CC and get away from absolutely everything except another thief or druid longbow if they start rapid fire at close range as they try to run. It’s like a lot of other HoT specs there’s very little risk and a lot of reward vs anything that has moderate to high risk.”

I have given reasons as to why thief is low risk backed up by factual aspects to back up my claim, you can look up the skills in game or the wiki, you however have only given biased passive aggressive opinionated responses.

You then decided to make this lovely claim:

“If you’re dying to a Thief in WvW 1v1, and you believe yourself a skilled player, then your build and/or gear is not suited for 1v1. The only thing that a thief currently is suited to kill 1v1 on equal footing (both gear and 1v1 built), is another thief.”

Sindrener winning 1v1s
Aurora Legend showing thief can not only win 1v1 but outnumbered.
Touch of Shadow with various group and solo fights.

So here’s some proof countering your claim that thief cannot win a 1v1.

Now, I don’t visit hipster passive aggressive websites but I do access Wikipedia and here’s something about burden of proof and logical fallacies:

“When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim especially when it challenges a perceived status quo.”

Except no status quo has been set and going through the thread you find.

Apolo, Zenith, OriOri, Chorazin, Gebrechen, Spartacus, Kirochique, JimmydT, Coro, Clownmug, Zinkz, BeepBoopBop, Choppy all seem to think thief is strong or at least not as weak as you do, that’s 13.

Babazhook, JonnyForgotten, Fat Disgrace, KrHome, Blaquefyre, Straegen, Ich, Siphon, Bartsimpsons, Coronit think thief is not OP and thus agree with you, that’s 10.

So going by this thread alone the status quo is siding more to thief certainly not being weak and that’s without mentioning people like DeceiverX who think aspects need toning down with thief but only in tandem with other classes, I haven’t included those people as they have points for both sides of the argument.

“One way in which one would attempt to shift the burden of proof is by committing a logical fallacy known as the argument from ignorance. It occurs when either a proposition is assumed to be true because it has not yet been proved false or a proposition is assumed to be false because it has not yet been proved true.”

The fact is your position is a logical fallacy as well because you have neither backed up your claims with any reasoning at all outside of l2p nor are you arguing from a generally accepted position of fact. You certainly are not in the status quo as more people in this thread think thief can 1v1.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Digikid.7230

Digikid.7230

Not that 1 vs 1 balance is in any way an indication of class strength, I’m just correcting some info here for the person that said thief doesn’t win 1 vs 1, it actually has favourable matchups with power/condi rev (almost a hard counter) , condi/power mesmer ( favours thief), condi/power necro (again almost a hard counter) and eats FA eles for breakfast, it really only struggles against DH/warrior/druid and those matchups are winnable for acro staff/dp thief.

Some guy on a bunch of servers, mostly Mag
Former top 50 spvp engi main.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

whats the problem with thief?
today i ran with blob for once again, got hit for 12k and kissed the ground instantly (yes i have more HP then 12k but with few red circles on the ground my HP is rapidly below 12k)
i didnt even know what happend it was like i got hit by a lighting strike i ran in boom dead, gf.

the joy of a thief, cant be among blob.
and outside blobs every1 is whining like a little kitten cus they cant win versus thief.

here take my advice, if u cant win from thief stick ur fist up ur commanders kitten and he will never get near you, if u do happen to die wait on respawn till u can re apply ur fist in his kitten .

this whining about classes that are not even allowed to join any squad cus they are good for nothing but rally botting is pathetic.
yes if u solo roam thiefs will kitten you if u dont know how to counter thief.

what ur saying is pls anet
thief is beyond terrible at blobbing, but they shine at solo roaming.
Can you pretty please make them beyond terrible at solo roaming also so my blob class can safely walk back to my commander cus now im very very scared that some thief is lurking in the shadows.

as for digikid, i rather fight a DH then a mesmer on my thief same for warrior.
i dont know mesmer play style and i get wrecked most of the time by em simply cus i dont put time and will into figuring out how mesmer works.
but smashing a warrior / DH is for me far easier then mesmer
also Druid is kitten easy to beat.

(edited by reddie.5861)

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

reddie.5861

Mobility or stealth should be an investment and a choice between mobility or stealth, not both, that’s what’s destroyed roaming in WvW since WvW was a thing.

Could not have put it better myself. No build should have high access to both mobility and stealth. Just like no build should have high access to self sustain and raw damage. Together, while it might not be overpowered, its definitely broken and a poor design.

so Warrior and DH are OP in your eyes also?
u guys all make no sense, thief is OP while u mention other kitten that suits other classes perfectly but these classes are fine.

do u guys not realise all Elites are OP, one shines at X and other shines at Y at the end all have something extra that is OP in the eyes of a other class.

only problem in WvW is:
Siege (arrow carts especially)
Dumb kitten classes favored in zergs (because OP stability darn thief useless need a boost so we can join zergs also, no?)
Conditions give tons of dmg which is fine but let people sacrifice something also like u cant have massive power build + tons of HP and toughness or w/e

theres prolly more but i barely login anymore nowadays, since i find thief not OP enough yet to enjoy it.
no just dont enjoy WvW anymore its to kittened how people enjoy big laggy(server lag skill delay w/e u call it) over small scale fights.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

OriOri.8724

Mobility or stealth should be an investment and a choice between mobility or stealth, not both, that’s what’s destroyed roaming in WvW since WvW was a thing.

Could not have put it better myself. No build should have high access to both mobility and stealth. Just like no build should have high access to self sustain and raw damage. Together, while it might not be overpowered, its definitely broken and a poor design.

u guys all make no sense, thief is OP while u mention other kitten that suits other classes perfectly but these classes are fine.

do u guys not realise all Elites are OP, one shines at X and other shines at Y at the end all have something extra that is OP in the eyes of a other class.

only problem in WvW is:
Dumb kitten classes favored in zergs (because OP stability darn thief useless need a boost so we can join zergs also, no?)
Conditions give tons of dmg which is fine but let people sacrifice something also like u cant have massive power build + tons of HP and toughness or w/e

theres prolly more but i barely login anymore nowadays, since i find thief not OP enough yet to enjoy it.
no just dont enjoy WvW anymore its to kittened how people enjoy big laggy(server lag skill delay w/e u call it) over small scale fights.

I think that all of the elite specs are still overpowered or just plain broken in design, and yes that would include both DH and berserker. I never said they were fine.

And by the way, saying “All elite specs are overpowered and are broken in design” is not a good excuse to keep them that way.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

reddie.5861

only problem in WvW is:

I think that all of the elite specs are still overpowered or just plain broken in design, and yes that would include both DH and berserker. I never said they were fine.

And by the way, saying “All elite specs are overpowered and are broken in design” is not a good excuse to keep them that way.

i didnt say to keep them that way, but lets be realistic.
a thief defence is run away, correct? so we have been given the kitten to do so.
a warrior defence is constant HP ticks blocks invul to raw dmg etc
a DH defence invul tons of ways to heal
a mesmer def invul / blocks
a rev def block(or invul w/e its) this HP back on hit works like a charm when u have kittens around that keep hitting
a scrapper def, do they even need def? they regen more HP then avarage class can dish out in dmg
a necro well necro just sucks hooray give em a boost
a Ele a good ele (even i can do it and im nowhere near pro) can handle a thief perfectly fine (i mean like running to safety without dieing, infact id kitten on thief dont even need to run could wait also for back up)
a ranger has invul has stealth has massive freaking range to take advantage off

i mean they all have something, if thiefs had blocks and invuls (dont tell me that 1 kittenty block skill is gonna safe our asses) or even access to stab without having to use a kittenty elite it would make sense that thief mobility is way to much.
but thief has nothing but the hit’n’run tactic.

pre hot i could have more or less same amount of evades if not more as we have now
they decided to nerf acro trait line they decide to nerf S/D
they decided to buff everything towards D/P
then they realised they made a mistake and decide to pump all kitten back ingame through Daredevil trait, so D/P got access to kitten S/D was doing Pre hot already

meaning D/P got it all while S/D has lost all its goodies to every weapon out there cus of Daredevil trait line being so silly fix of what they did pre HoT.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

babazhook.6805

To Apaharma. Rather then cut and paste your entire post some rebuttals.

1>Status Quo does not mean majority which you seem to imply. Status quo merely means the way things are.

2>You like to give reasons why you think Thief OP or low risk, but are not willing to entertain any evidence that contradicts your opinion. As example you made the claim that access to stealth AND mobility lead to the death of roaming in WvW when it a fact that the thief always dominated at these two, in fact had more stealth relative to other classes and yet there was roaming.

3>You persist in arguing against skills that from the beginning DEFINED the thief. Shadowsetps as example was always one of their defining characteristics just as the Mesmers ability to make clones was one of theirs. It a skill integrated into the thief.
The DEVS stated on several occassions that the thief was to be a hit and run class, one that went into combat for short bursts of damage and then pulled away.

They can not do this without the abilities to do this and your continual complaints about how they “reset a fight” (Notwithstanding the fact that as THEY rest they player they fought against resets) is like complaining a mesmer uses clones or a warrior has too much health and armor.

4>You are unable to separate the problems that HOT bought with Elite specs to ALL classes from the thief alone as you are fixated on thief and along with that you continue to conflate the thiefs assets, there since the beginning of the game (The ability to reset fights via ports and stealth and such) with the power creep that the Elite specs brought.

5>You are unwilling to acknowledge that the only place in WvW where a thief can leverage its advantages over other classes is that of roaming. Roaming by its very nature favors the class that has higher mobility and the ability to escape fights where one outmatched. There no inherent right of any other class to dominate at every role.

One more time.Given that before HOT the thief could reset a fight at will via ports and stealth. HOT did not add ports and stealth ,It logical to conclude that these, or things like the skills shadowstep are not areas to focus on.

From the Wiki.

>>Thieves are expert in the shadow arts. They utilize stealth and shadowstepping to surprise and to get close to their target. They’re deadly in one-on-one combat using their agility, acrobatic fighting style, and the ability to steal to overcome their enemies. They have an affinity for setting traps and using venom. As an adventurer profession, thieves wear medium armor.

>>Thieves are less powerful in terms of durability in comparison to some professions. They must rely on stealth, evasion, surprise attacks, and debilitating and damaging conditions to overpower their opponents. An experienced thief can take on multiple targets but preferably one at a time. The thief is the only profession in the game that does not have any way to gain 1200 range with any weapon.

Your complainst against the thief , from their ability to break off a fight via ports or stealh to that of hitting a player unawares with a sneak attack as they stalk them across the map is how they play BY design.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: JonnyForgotten.4276

JonnyForgotten.4276

^ +1

Again, as a thief, you kitten up or fail to escape, you die, and escaping a fight is not winning. We have low armor, low hp, high damage, and high mobility. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

I also agree that fighting lots of evades and stealth is irritating, but that’s the class’ defense, and in the context of every other class post HoT, the thief is not OP.

(edited by JonnyForgotten.4276)

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

apharma.3741

@Babazhook.

1. Yeah I know but at the end of the day the status quo as to a thiefs ability to fight is subjective on who you ask, certainly there is no consensus in this thread and many opinions are usually extremely biased. In this situation where there is no consensus on the norm or what is correct then the burden of proof is upon both parties which is what that was in reference to.

2. I said it was low risk, not OP. Thief has always had the high mobility and stealth and pre HoT it was at least tempered by the fact that when a thief put some distance between you and it (remember resetting a fight doesn’t necessarily mean get OOC) they burned cool downs. Now a thief barely burns valuable cool downs to put that distance between them and their target.

3. I never mentioned shadowstep being OP so this is moot for the most part. Due to a thiefs initiative system and lower cool downs (has universally some of the lowest cool down heals in the game with a lot less counterplay than other lower cool down heals) they can back off for 15s and have effectively reset the fight nearly. Steal will be off cool down, initiative will be fully back, will have their heal off cool down and depending on utilities one or two of them off cool down. The fight is essentially reset for the thief but many other targets will still have cool downs on important skills.

4. I have complained about berserkers, DH, Druids and CA until it was changed, scrappers sustain/stealth and still think SotM for rev is silly in WvW. Just ask Deciever or BeepBoopBop as they’ve replied specifically about some of those issues I think are too strong. I do realise some of it is a HoT problem but the mix of high mobility and high stealth I’ve always said was stupid and I’ve been a vocal advocate of nerfing mesmer stealth camping too so I dunno why you think I am only fixated on thief.

Sorry but immunity to all soft CC, 6-8 consecutive dodges and the ability to double teleport 1800 range away with one of the lowest cool down stunbreak+block in the game – is what I complained about, with it being all in one package and at least half of that is HoT, tone down the HoT stuff and it would be balanced.

5. This is incorrect, I have never said the opposite to thief is only good at small scale, you can go through my post history if you don’t believe me. I’ve said about resetting above but will repeat, before HoT resetting a fight for thief would burn a lot more resources than with HoT. UC allows a thief to be completely immune to soft CC which used to be a way to counter a thiefs mobility, if you chilled and crippled a thief after they had used withdraw they had to disengage whether they had the upper hand or not, now this counter is completely gone. You used to be able to CC a thief for bursting, this has changed depending on class, I won’t lie and say it’s no longer a counter because we both know that’s false as HoT brought a lot more CC however bandits defence has diminished how effective this is especially on builds that aren’t insanely strong atm.

As for the stalking thing, just because the devs designed something that way doesn’t mean it was a good decision and for my proof see HoT and how it’s decimated the player population in no small part due to balance issues. A thief dogging you around a map when you’re roaming, popping in to try and kill you then putting distance between you when it’s not going well isn’t a fun thing to have especially when there’s very little you can do to effective stop it. This is mainly down to how much more mobile and elusive they are than other classes.

Once again I’ll put something I said earlier: Mobility or stealth should be an investment and a choice between mobility or stealth, not both. I have 0 problems with thief gaining more in combat viability to balance this out so long as it’s not more dodge spam and is comparable to what is on other classes. By that I mean if they get a 3s block on a weapon skill it should have a 20-25s cool down like many other channelled blocks etc as an example.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Turk.5460

Sindrener winning 1v1s
Aurora Legend showing thief can not only win 1v1 but outnumbered.
Touch of Shadow with various group and solo fights.

So here’s some proof countering your claim that thief cannot win a 1v1.

Now, I don’t visit hipster passive aggressive websites but I do access Wikipedia and here’s something about burden of proof and logical fallacies:

“When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim especially when it challenges a perceived status quo.”

Except no status quo has been set and going through the thread you find.

Apolo, Zenith, OriOri, Chorazin, Gebrechen, Spartacus, Kirochique, JimmydT, Coro, Clownmug, Zinkz, BeepBoopBop, Choppy all seem to think thief is strong or at least not as weak as you do, that’s 13.

Babazhook, JonnyForgotten, Fat Disgrace, KrHome, Blaquefyre, Straegen, Ich, Siphon, Bartsimpsons, Coronit think thief is not OP and thus agree with you, that’s 10.

So going by this thread alone the status quo is siding more to thief certainly not being weak and that’s without mentioning people like DeceiverX who think aspects need toning down with thief but only in tandem with other classes, I haven’t included those people as they have points for both sides of the argument.

Stop regurgitating the same pro-player names that have mastered their class, active defenses and weakness of their enemies. That’s not what this is about. Every class can 1vX if its played by someone who has mastered the game. I’d like to see proof that an average joe can pick up thief – which you deem a low-risk class – and perform incredibly well simply because they’re playing thief. You know, the class that is in downstate if it fails to dodge a sneeze.

And I looked up the posts from this “Decieverx” person you mentioned. Judging by their thief-related posts, they are an advocate for D/D power signet builds, only able to play Cloak and Dagger/Steal/Backstab burst, and whining about shadow shot when they can’t instagib other thieves. This is not a credible source for your claim.

-Sorrow’s Furnace-

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

reddie.5861

5. This is incorrect, I have never said the opposite to thief is only good at small scale, you can go through my post history if you don’t believe me. I’ve said about resetting above but will repeat, before HoT resetting a fight for thief would burn a lot more resources than with HoT.

pre hot i could make a gap of 3,9k range within a flash.
now people can make 3x 450 (if all dodges are up which i guess not) well lets do 6x cus people use signet to run away (i dont but lets just make it more OP to make every thief hater happy)
so 6×450 2700 + 1200 = 3,9k range.

woops?

told you, arena net kitten d ACRO line and s/d
then buffed all this kitten back into game through Daredevil trait + fact that d/p always was superior over S/D but after nerfs anet did and then basically adding S/D goodies in a trait so D/P got even more power..

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

OriOri.8724

i didnt say to keep them that way, but lets be realistic.
a thief defence is run away, correct? so we have been given the kitten to do so.
a warrior defence is constant HP ticks blocks invul to raw dmg etc
a DH defence invul tons of ways to heal
a mesmer def invul / blocks
a rev def block(or invul w/e its) this HP back on hit works like a charm when u have kittens around that keep hitting
a scrapper def, do they even need def? they regen more HP then avarage class can dish out in dmg
a necro well necro just sucks hooray give em a boost
a Ele a good ele (even i can do it and im nowhere near pro) can handle a thief perfectly fine (i mean like running to safety without dieing, infact id kitten on thief dont even need to run could wait also for back up)
a ranger has invul has stealth has massive freaking range to take advantage off

i mean they all have something, if thiefs had blocks and invuls (dont tell me that 1 kittenty block skill is gonna safe our asses) or even access to stab without having to use a kittenty elite it would make sense that thief mobility is way to much.
but thief has nothing but the hit’n’run tactic.

pre hot i could have more or less same amount of evades if not more as we have now
they decided to nerf acro trait line they decide to nerf S/D
they decided to buff everything towards D/P
then they realised they made a mistake and decide to pump all kitten back ingame through Daredevil trait, so D/P got access to kitten S/D was doing Pre hot already

meaning D/P got it all while S/D has lost all its goodies to every weapon out there cus of Daredevil trait line being so silly fix of what they did pre HoT.

Specifically in regards to this line. If a thief’s defense centers around running away and resetting a fight when it goes south that is perfectly fine. What is not fine is when this is his defensive option, and yet when he does choose to engage he still has so many dodges and evades that your frames to attack him are already smaller than against most other classes. On other classes that have high uptimes on blocks or invulns they don’t have the mobility that thief does to run away from a fight if it goes south. Is a thief’s defense in his ability to reset at will or dodge and evade? Because having excessive amounts of both is a problem. If it was one or the other then it would be better. Also, every defense in this game should have a counter. Blocks are countered by unblockable attacks and condis. Resistance is countered by power damage. Invuln are short and most of them also prevent capture point contribution. Etc etc… Yet thief’s ability to disengage is so powerful that very few builds can even hope to catch up to them once the thief decides to run. That is also a problem. Thief being able to run is fine. But it does need to be toned down ever so slightly. It should be possible for more classes to catch up to thief. It shouldn’t be easy for them, they should have to burn some CDs and have built for mobility to do so, but it should be possible for more builds to chase thief at least semi-effectively.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

The problem with those two classes are not the class itself but the mechanics that can be abused in some builds:

• highest mobility in game
  • Highest active defense uptime in game
  • Highest damage in game.

Thieves get the same armor rating as an engineer still has a massive amount of damage plus abuse of stealth, which has no counter.

If put together with spamming dodges and evades plus a massive burst that can end most of professions in a couple of seconds you see there is something broken.

No class should be able to have so many defenses and so much damage.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

babazhook.6805

>>Sorry but immunity to all soft CC, 6-8 consecutive dodges and the ability to double teleport 1800 range away with one of the lowest cool down stunbreak+block in the game – is what I complained about, with it being all in one package and at least half of that is HoT, tone down the HoT stuff and it would be balanced.

The thief has just as many positions on his tool bar as any other class. You seem to suggest they have infinite space for all of those skills and an unending supply of INitiative or that they can somehow magically trait 6/6/6/6/6/6 while using every weaponset at the same time.

Thieves are not “immune to soft CC”. Those that take UC are highly resistant to chill immob and cripple but those are not the only examples of soft CC nor do all thieves take UC. Even at that they are hardly “immune” to these three as I can still Immob a d/p thief that uses UC.

They are not IMMUNE to blind, slow, or weakness all considered soft CC.

If they are d/p (which the majority are) , they have no extra evades from weapons and if they take bounding over UC they are prone to being Immobbed.

Some thieves can dodge more easily than others but have less ports. Some can stealth more easily but have fewer dodges and evades.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

reddie.5861

i really dont understand how you people die so quick to a thief.
even if i 1v1 thief on my thief, i dont die in 1 burst.

if i get jumped i still dont die in 1 burst i get the kitten away from it, maybe cus stealth on demand? or maybe cus im always aware that there might be people lurking around the corner.

but hey, u know what wrecks me in matter of seconds?
1 good placed elite skill from warrior headbutt or w/e its im dead after it lands.
engi’s im scratching their balls tbh they have same armor rating as u? but thief has nowhere near the amount of heals and deffensive options as engi.

tbh i dont really give a rats kitten if anet nerf thief i barely play nowadays, but i dont think thief is broken. if i could fight head to head with most classes without abusing my get away things or stealth id say go for it.
but a thief cant go simply head to head like almost every other class in this game can.

tell me thief role, should i go with the blob? dunno wtf to do with the blob stick on the back line while im a melee? but i cant be a melee cus i die in 1 second?

should i pick people off in the back of the enemy blob? yes i love doing this its great.
but dont forget that maaaaaaaaaaany times commanders on WvW have long kitten tail so u have constantly people coming from behind and if enemy commander turns around or just a few players ur dead again.

thief might have alot of options to fight in people’s eye, but in reality the only option we shine at is the silly ganking.
thief is completely out of his league in WvW if u look at what WvW is for and what role a thief can possibly fill in, cap camps solo woohoo any class can do it thief can just sneak by and not being seen making it harder for enemy predict.

give thief a role in WvW so they can stick with the blob and have somewhat decent way of staying alive then id say go for it remove the run away part.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

Snip

Snipples .

Specifically in regards to this line. If a thief’s defense centers around running away and resetting a fight when it goes south that is perfectly fine. What is not fine is when this is his defensive option, and yet when he does choose to engage he still has so many dodges and evades that your frames to attack him are already smaller than against most other classes. On other classes that have high uptimes on blocks or invulns they don’t have the mobility that thief does to run away from a fight if it goes south. Is a thief’s defense in his ability to reset at will or dodge and evade? Because having excessive amounts of both is a problem. If it was one or the other then it would be better. Also, every defense in this game should have a counter. Blocks are countered by unblockable attacks and condis. Resistance is countered by power damage. Invuln are short and most of them also prevent capture point contribution. Etc etc… Yet thief’s ability to disengage is so powerful that very few builds can even hope to catch up to them once the thief decides to run. That is also a problem. Thief being able to run is fine. But it does need to be toned down ever so slightly. It should be possible for more classes to catch up to thief. It shouldn’t be easy for them, they should have to burn some CDs and have built for mobility to do so, but it should be possible for more builds to chase thief at least semi-effectively.

The other classes as you wanted to compare have more passive sustain through passive healing sustain through Boons or traits, high block uptimes, better healing, Invulnerabilities, but yes leave out all of their forms of sustain, the only class that doesn’t have any of those is Reaper, they “give” up mobility for those higher uptime of sustain and passives, while Thief has Evades and Mobility to mitigate damage and Stealth to drop target( doesn’t stop Damage from getting through so not actually a damage mitigation).

But the ridiculous Sustain passive and active has reached stupid levels and needs to be nerfed across the bored and they need to remove all the safe damages every class’ have and make it so players can’t attack/damage while Invulnerable/Evading. And the need to remove all Passive Defenses since they only promote braindead gameplay and reward failing to properly evade/stop attacks or Cc.

And people act like Thief is miles ahead of other classes in mobility which is a farce, Druid, Warrior and Mesmer aren’t far behind Thief in mobility, Thief just has better Verticle Mobility and can burn more resources for mobility, at the huge expense of Damage and versatility, since to have that mobility means burning Initiative and Long CDs and Dodges… which people fail to realize all are costs and unlike every other classes Thieves share Weapon CDs across both Weapons and all skills, not having separate CDs like everyone else.

But meh a lot of people just need to L2P

And if Thief is so easy and OP one of you complainers post Videos of you dominating every player you come across to prove how easy/Op/Braindead Thief is.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

babazhook.6805

The problem with those two classes are not the class itself but the mechanics that can be abused in some builds:

• highest mobility in game
  • Highest active defense uptime in game
  • Highest damage in game.

Thieves get the same armor rating as an engineer still has a massive amount of damage plus abuse of stealth, which has no counter.

If put together with spamming dodges and evades plus a massive burst that can end most of professions in a couple of seconds you see there is something broken.

No class should be able to have so many defenses and so much damage.

Stealth has counters. You mentioned one of the classes that can counter it in your post.

I will also assure you that stealth is NOT immunity like those invulns. A Good many thieves will die while stealthed.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

OriOri.8724

I agree, all elite specs do need to be nerfed. Does that change the fact that being able to disengage at will and be out of reach for most classes on top of having an overly high amount of dodges and evades when you do stay for a fight is broken?

And I don’t know how you think mesmer can catch up with thief. They can triple blink once every 75 seconds as a chrono, yet a lot of mesmers are just plain bad and can’t pull that off. Aside from that its 1 blink every 30 seconds, plus about-face + phase retreat. But again a lot of mesmers are not very good and can’t figure that combination out. And even if they could its not enough to keep up with a thief that wants to get away.

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

BlaqueFyre.5678

I agree, all elite specs do need to be nerfed. Does that change the fact that being able to disengage at will and be out of reach for most classes on top of having an overly high amount of dodges and evades when you do stay for a fight is broken?

And I don’t know how you think mesmer can catch up with thief. They can triple blink once every 75 seconds as a chrono, yet a lot of mesmers are just plain bad and can’t pull that off. Aside from that its 1 blink every 30 seconds, plus about-face + phase retreat. But again a lot of mesmers are not very good and can’t figure that combination out. And even if they could its not enough to keep up with a thief that wants to get away.

Just because players are bad doesn’t mean Mesmers don’t have semi highmobility, that isn’t a design flaw that’s just players being bad……

And again a Mesmers don’t need super high mobility since they are capable of other types of sustain/mitigation while dealing significant damage, again something you seem to try to leave out of your comparisons betweenThief and other classes.

(edited by BlaqueFyre.5678)

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Siphon.8405

Siphon.8405

You’re a liar and you smell bad!

You know you love 3 shotting healers on the back line of a zerg and getting away with it! Only 2 minutes later getting hate tells from that players alternate account.

Quit telling stories sir!

Thief and Mesmer in wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Siphon.8405

Siphon.8405

You are absolutely right. Thieves are FANTASTIC at single target burst damage and running away!

Can they supply meaningful heals/support to there party? NO
Can they provide boons for there party? NO
Do they get invited to raids and fractals? NO (as a matter of fact I got kicked out of a fractal upon joining because there team already had a thief)
Do people want more than 1 thief in sPvP groups? NO

So lets nerf the 1 thing they are good at, ganking…

(edited by Siphon.8405)