Thieves in WvW

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Baronessvonbaugh.2165

Baronessvonbaugh.2165

Thieves are given more invisibility time than in the regular play areas. This needs to be the same as for the regular GW2 areas. Also, rangers need to allow number 2 to lock on to them and be able to kill them. Right now it doesn’t. (3 thieves taunt then come up from behind and kill us but we can’t do it to them. What gives?) Make it more balanced which it is not now.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

Oh noes! A Ranger got killed in WvW by 3 Thieves!!! HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED, THIEVES MUST BE SO OVERPOWERED!!!!!

Thank you for this, Baroness, I really needed a good laugh today (^_^).

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

I like it when 5-2 thieves think they are good.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Oh noes! A Ranger got killed in WvW by 3 Thieves!!! HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED, THIEVES MUST BE SO OVERPOWERED!!!!!

Thank you for this, Baroness, I really needed a good laugh today (^_^).

Wow, a thief coming to insta-defend the profession. Who could have imagined that?

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Pavel.8531

Pavel.8531

Wow, a thief coming to insta-defend the profession. Who could have imagined that?

Wow, a very “intelligent” guy not even noticing that the OP’s post is full of controvercies(stealth in wvw is same as in pve, rapid fire actually does track, even if the thief stealths…), before starting with the personal/class attacks. Who could have imagined that?

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

Firstly, thieves don’t get any more stealth in WvW than they do in PvE, the skills are exactly the same in both places. They simply use what stealth they have more often, since trying to outsmart an AI with stealth is a little pointless.

Secondly, ranger’s number 2 (I assume you mean longbow since you haven’t actually specified) already tracks a thief in stealth, provided the attack was initiated before they entered stealth. You’re still hitting them, you just don’t see the little damage counters pop up.

Thirdly, if there’s 3 of them and one of you, you’re probably going to die. If the one beats the three, odds are it’s not the class that’s at fault.

Rangers desperately need some love, that much is very true. I hope the coming redesign really makes rangers something to worry about. If you’re going to call for nerfs to another class though, at least make sure your reasoning is correct.

Edit: If you’re a troll, then I really need to get better at spotting this e-sarcasm thing :P

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

(edited by Jugglemonkey.8741)

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Slyfer.6478

Slyfer.6478

This is just pure comedy gold. Thieves get the most kitten even if they are now reduced to sharing only venoms. I used to run d/d but then the meta started crying about thieves doing backstabs. I then ran d/p but then warriors started crying about thieves dodging hammer blows and blinding. Now i run s/p or s/d for duels and they are still complaining. If i however get a fear spam necro or a hambow warrior, no one is complaining. Is it the profession name that makes people automatically kitten?

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Is it the profession name that makes people automatically kitten?

D/P gank builds are probably the largest contributor to the general thief hate. People would still complain about them without that build but it wouldn’t be nearly as problematic. A decent D/P thief only dies when they press an attack to far. Otherwise they can hit, reset, hit, reset at will.

I do agree there are numerous other classes with builds that are every bit as annoying and far more dangerous than a thief. Looking at you PU Condi Mesmers.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Thieves are fine actually. You have to understand that the average player running around isn’t very good at 1v1 in WvW. The reason for that isn’t player skill, but rather their spec. Most people spec for zerg combat. While that is great for a zerg, it will not win a 1v1 vs anyone, especially against a thief who is running a 1v1 spec.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

Thieves are hard to counter 1 v 1 in wvw. That is pretty much a given. Your avg player will get destroyed by any roamer the thing with thieves is that they kill you invis and in a blink , this leaves a bad taste in the losers mouth. Where if the avg player get destroyed by a roaming ele or warrior it still stings but they realize and SEE that they were out played as oppose to getting killed by a invisible guy in under 3 seconds.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: mrmadhaze.8706

mrmadhaze.8706

LOL another nurf teefs thread…..

anyway

Thieves are fine actually. You have to understand that the average player running around isn’t very good at 1v1 in WvW. The reason for that isn’t player skill, but rather their spec. Most people spec for zerg combat. While that is great for a zerg, it will not win a 1v1 vs anyone, especially against a thief who is running a 1v1 spec.

THIS.

Most people spec for zerg combat

Overall this, people.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Thieves are fine, even if a good thief is annoying as hell.

The problem is the super slow skills of the staff ele and the bad AI of ranger’s pet.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Zhentilar.5967

Zhentilar.5967

I play a ZERG speced necro, and I have the rogues ganging me all the time. Normally when I am trying to reach the Zerg. Last night during an epic 3 way zerg fight, an EP Rogue picked me out and took me down. That is what they are suppose to do.

The frustrating part is when I try to do the same with my Rogue, the results are disappointing. So I fully understand why people get frustrated when dealing with them. I also hate dealing with D/D elly’s and Mesmers.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Nymph of Meliai.6739

Nymph of Meliai.6739

thieves are easy if you can hit them with some stuns… that’s the tricky bit, hitting them with stun before they can re-cloak. The biggest problem I have at the moment is with guardians and warriors – the damage I do is like trying to solo a gate… as a mesmer the only real damage I can do on them is condition damage.

Nymeria Meliae | SoS
Acid Bath Babies Go Plop Plop [FizZ]

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Jim.3971

Lord Jim.3971

Just drop a stealth trap and kite em over it, the results are pretty hilarious, doing this in even fights is a bit off but against the usual full zerker, check reds are already outnumbered 2 to 1 by allies, spam everything thieves its great.

Chaotic Interruption mesmers running daze mantra lockdown D/P thieves pretty hard as well if you spot the combo, 5,2 initiative use with no stealth and a 2-4 sec immobilize followd by focusing hurts em a lot.

Conchis – Tchuu Tchuu I’m A Train [TCHU] – Gandara

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Slyfer.6478

See what i mean, EVERY profession can counter a thief but for a thief to counter anything requires actual skill and more effort, especially if you go against people that don’t sit around for a perfect backstab. Also, quit with the “OMG 22222 hs spam” or “OMG PISTOL WHIP SPAM” whenever you lose to thief, trust me, spamming those skills is not as effective as you think and if you do die to that, you are just plain horrible.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

See what i mean, EVERY profession can counter a thief but for a thief to counter anything requires actual skill and more effort….

This is a solid conclusion to arrive at based on the above discussion.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Slyfer.6478

And a D/P build requires complete perfection, that means don’t get stunned once, don’t get aoe’d, don’t get disabled in any way and depend on a maximum of 4 black powders.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Suxen.8574

Suxen.8574

Oooh my god , Thiefs are op.
They have killed me, … Nerf nerf please!

20 months = …. Ufff. Practise!

Thieves are the most difficult to handle in WvW currently

Suxen [OdS] – thief in Baruch Bay [ES] – Spain

(edited by Suxen.8574)

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

Here is a thought, how about playing a class that isn’t the weakest class in the game already in WvW… Thieves damage is stupid high, but the fact that a power spec necro can 3 shot pretty much any thief really blows the idea up about thief being over powered. I get just as annoyed as the next guy when 3 thieves chain backstab and heartseeker on me, but I generally win those fights on my Necro because thief is actually a terrible class when the person playing it gets over confident, which they typically do in 3v1 situations.

My suggestion, play a necro or warrior if you want to beat up on thieves. The key is to spec the classes correctly also, simply playing a necro or a warrior will not win a fight against thieves lol.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

Also, don’t run from a thief, if you do, you’re 100% guaranteed to die because they will catch you. You stand a much better chance by fighting them and trying to keep them locked down in one place.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Eloquence.5207

Eloquence.5207

Inb4 “L2P”

Ah… too late.

“L2P” according to pr0 Thieves
http://youtu.be/k0YDuSLXcX8?t=3m16s
See, Blinding Powder is nothing.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

Sic ’em! Since I started packing that thieves tend to run away from me…to softer targets.

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

The other day in EOTM this thief was going stealth all the time. It was so frustrating for myself and my teammates that I used my mesmer’s moa elite on him and he got downed pretty quickly ha ha :-P That’s what he gets for being annoying

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

I play a ZERG speced necro, and I have the rogues ganging me all the time. Normally when I am trying to reach the Zerg. Last night during an epic 3 way zerg fight, an EP Rogue picked me out and took me down. That is what they are suppose to do.

The frustrating part is when I try to do the same with my Rogue, the results are disappointing. So I fully understand why people get frustrated when dealing with them. I also hate dealing with D/D elly’s and Mesmers.

I play a Staff Ele and when I see a thief trying to gank me when I go to my zerg I easily outrun them. I can go from North camp to briar with a DD thief chasing me. I admit though that a DP WILL make me pop my FPS if he keeps stalking me.
And when I play necro, I simply kill all the “omgicanpermastealthyolo” DP thieves trying to kill me, unless they are more than 3.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: The Lost Witch.7601

The Lost Witch.7601

I wouldn’t say that thieves are necessarily overpowered in WvW roaming.

But I find them by far the most annoying to fight against.

Whenever I get attacked by one I tend to fend them off. If they keep at it after stealthing and healing back up, I often just sit down and let them kill me. Then I can get out of combat, waypoint and do something more worthwhile or fun. (Like capture a camp or join my team on their way to an objective.)

Actually fighting out the duel is not fun. If they play well, they’ll rarely get killed, while I can either succesfully retreat to a structure/zerg or die. Both of which don’t feel like winning, but dying doesn’t take as much time. If I do manage to win, it is because the thief was playing badly. (Not stealthing when they should, but taking the risk)

I find other professions a lot more fun to fight against. If they run, I can chase, and if they chase, I can see that. (Unlike with the thief, where I’m just left wondering if he’s still around. Often I just waypoint to be sure that he’s not)

Again, it is not about the strength of the thief that is the issue here. It is just that fighting them is not as much fun as fighting other professions. Even if the fight is fair, it feels unfair because we’re never in control of the situation. They can just run away when they feel like it. (And leave us tense while they’re gone)

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Valinor.9647

Valinor.9647

Thief enjoy an ability that makes it so they can run very high dps spec with little draw backs. Armor isnt needed when you cant see a class to target it.

yes the amount of stealth they get is annoying, its not fair when your fighting a ghost. if only a class had 3 massive AoE cripple/damage/snare skills.. with a pet that had 2 snares and a poisons aswell… oh wait, thats a ranger. One of the classes best equipped to deal with a thief.

now a group of thiefs, lets call it a murder… well no one aside from a few super tanky specs can even stand up to the damage long enough to figure out an escape plan.

but i would love it if a few abilities pop up to counter stealth, much like the hunters flare in WoW. Or if certain pets got a scent ability and where able to keep on them. It would be kinda cool, add some balance. dosnt even matter to me which class got them, there should just be a counter to it somewhere.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Triangulator.2867

Triangulator.2867

Thief is fine. Reward skillful gameplay. Revealed on missed/blocked attacks from stealth.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Zhentilar.5967

Zhentilar.5967

I play a Staff Ele and when I see a thief trying to gank me when I go to my zerg I easily outrun them. I can go from North camp to briar with a DD thief chasing me. I admit though that a DP WILL make me pop my FPS if he keeps stalking me.
And when I play necro, I simply kill all the “omgicanpermastealthyolo” DP thieves trying to kill me, unless they are more than 3.[/quote]

Staff Ele have the teleport, and fire Sword to get the speed increase. When I use to play mine, that is what I used to escape the zerg beating down my guildies.

My Necro is spec’ed for fighting zergs. All Area of effect staff, and wells and mostly glass, no condi damage. When they engage, I get them down to half they retreat and continue to chase me down. In Zerg fights I generally run through the Zerg that usually gets them off me. I spend to much time trying to get the prefect Necro bomb on the zerg, and miss that rogue de-stealthing and chopping me to pieces.

I do enjoy engaging a rogue that is pre-occupied in another 1 vs. 1 attack. The Necro bomb usually takes them right down.

Necro really lack a moment/jump skill which can make us easier targets.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I don’t like thieves one bit but I also don’t plea for nerfs or alterations to their profession. Learn to deal with it or don’t play, about as simple as that.

And as for people who hate them, I imagine it to be similar to the reason I do; they’re the masters of the cheap shot. When someone comes up and smacks you in the head then takes off and vanishes you’re immediately going to be aggravated. Where as if you see someone coming and they hit you first, you may be upset but at least you had the chance to get out of the way even if you failed to do so. It just feels like a fight is too much in favor of the thief when in actuality all you need to do is be aware of your surroundings. It’s WvW, people are watching whether you can see them or not. Don’t be oblivious and thieves will be a lot less of a pain.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Thats thief role, kill overextended players, if u are built to play on teamwork and he finds you alone prepare to loose.

Learn when they roam mostly, try to avoid them or wait for more people at spawn before adventuring alone.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Valinor.9647

Valinor.9647

Thats thief role, kill overextended players, if u are built to play on teamwork and he finds you alone prepare to loose.

Learn when they roam mostly, try to avoid them or wait for more people at spawn before adventuring alone.

+1

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Thieves are given more invisibility time than in the regular play areas. This needs to be the same as for the regular GW2 areas. Also, rangers need to allow number 2 to lock on to them and be able to kill them. Right now it doesn’t. (3 thieves taunt then come up from behind and kill us but we can’t do it to them. What gives?) Make it more balanced which it is not now.

So how do you feel after making a topic and proven that every statement of yours is false?

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

Thieves are hard to counter 1 v 1 in wvw. That is pretty much a given. Your avg player will get destroyed by any roamer the thing with thieves is that they kill you invis and in a blink , this leaves a bad taste in the losers mouth. Where if the avg player get destroyed by a roaming ele or warrior it still stings but they realize and SEE that they were out played as oppose to getting killed by a invisible guy in under 3 seconds.

This has to be one of the most intelligent forum responses i have seen and it is 100% true i tip my hat to you Sir!

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

Thieves in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Firstly, thieves don’t get any more stealth in WvW than they do in PvE, the skills are exactly the same in both places. They simply use what stealth they have more often, since trying to outsmart an AI with stealth is a little pointless.

Secondly, ranger’s number 2 (I assume you mean longbow since you haven’t actually specified) already tracks a thief in stealth, provided the attack was initiated before they entered stealth. You’re still hitting them, you just don’t see the little damage counters pop up.

Thirdly, if there’s 3 of them and one of you, you’re probably going to die. If the one beats the three, odds are it’s not the class that’s at fault.

Rangers desperately need some love, that much is very true. I hope the coming redesign really makes rangers something to worry about. If you’re going to call for nerfs to another class though, at least make sure your reasoning is correct.

Edit: If you’re a troll, then I really need to get better at spotting this e-sarcasm thing :P

FYI, though a rangers #2 is or may supposed to track a thief during stealth before the attack is initiated.. it does not. Tested it out with a buddy of mine, gave it about 50 tries, and not once did it track or hit.

If it’s supposed to, then Anet needs to fix it.