This is the worst I've seen WvW in 4 years

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

If Anet is keen to keep WvW going, then I think they should do more to broadly encourage PvE players to try WvW (not just those seeking Gifts for Legendary weapons). Currently, there is so much open world content in PvE, that I suspect many newer PvE players are unaware of the competitive play experience.

That’s what I been saying, not enough promotion from anet for wvw other than the screwups, meanwhile look at what spvp has gotten in that department over the past 2 years.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: hayabusafmw.9370

hayabusafmw.9370

Totally agree with the OP. People tend to feed me bs like GW2 is a very very healthy game. It’s not even close to be. Maybe abroad? uk or china? that i dunno. In N/A i have been appart of 3 servers and they are all D E A D . Don’t believe me just take a look at wvw it’s D E A D . The average coverae time in wvw with 20 + players per map is less than 6 hours. In GW2 there are only 4 main servers. Anet makes you think there are like 20 or so it’s total bs. Come play on tier 3-4 servers and you will see how ’’medium’’ the playerbase really is lol (yes i still use lol). Anet dropped the ball 3 years ago. NEVER tried anything new. They can write a long kitten patch note faster than they spell WVW.

Like i told my guildies i’m not EVEN caring anymore about anet. Anet will never do anything to fix wvw. They do their money with shop and little to no updates there and there. PVP is in the worst place it’s EVER been. Yet they make us believe it’s E-sport caliber. That thing is even worst than a flying corpse of a cat attached to a drone.

While i still enjoy wvw because of my group. I do not take GW2 very seriously and sometimes im wondering how long i have playing this non sense.

(edited by hayabusafmw.9370)

in WvW

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Totally agree with the OP. People tend to feed me bs like GW2 is a very very healthy game. It’s not even close to be.

I strongly suggest you leave now, before you go from “dislike” to “hate” for the game. Keep your memories, and play something you think is good, healthy, and fun instead. You will be much happier, I promise, after that initial brief pain of separation.

in WvW

Posted by: Kylden Ar.3724

Kylden Ar.3724

LOT to address in this thread… let’s begin.

There is no balance, no diversity. It’s all particle showers and skill spam. Use whatever is off cooldown and let your passives take care of the rest. There is no push and pull, none of that “he used X so I’ll use Y”. There are no turtle guards who sacrifice damage for survival, instead there’s DH that has both. Or Daredevil. Or Scrapper. Or Berserker. Block block block evade evade evade invuln invuln invuln. 8k, 9k, 12k crits per skill.

This is a HUGE part of the problem. HoT introuced horrible power creep. There are no fights. You either win or die in 3 seconds. The balance in PvP is better because of the fact it is designed with everyone being on equal footing (so skill is the factor) in mind.

The cost of entry to WvW is too high now, and gear/foods/ascended is all part of that problem, which turns casuals off of learning the mode.

World linking strips away the purpose & sense of Community that lower tier servers had previously.

It’s true that lower tier servers didn’t have a lot of players, but they had a close knit group of individuals that where “Family”.

New players that started playing in the lower tiers…found this “Family” & learned to play WvW….then grew up & matured…and then would move to the upper tiers to play.

Emphasis above mine. It’s time to cut the work links. Some people liked lower tiers and wanted to stay there. The ones that wanted more action learned and moved up. Easy.

Let me say that WvW is actually fun. It is just VERY draining. Why? Because there is no clear victory in this WvW.

For example you take over the whole map. Did you win? Nope. 30 minutes after you log off your enemies will just PvDoor and take back everything and ruin all your upgrades that you guild paid A LOT of money for.

The victor is not who is more skilled. The victor is who can stay awake longer.

Even with Skirmishes, the war seems NEVERENDING! While that is part of the point, there should be some point that peole can sit back and say, “Yes, we did it!”

But you can’t. Repel the enemy from Bay, who cares, they’ll be back in 5 minutes (or less) and you just barely got the wall back up.

No, what has hurt WvW is among other things:
- Arrowcart damage buffed by ~80%
- The stability debacle
- HoT elite spec CC/passives and approach to I’m-full-dps-and-bunker traits
- DBL which reduced border activity by a third and remain crippling to this day
- The constant removal of player involvement in favor of automatic systems (scouts being pushed aside by sentries and watchtowers for example)
- The absolute destruction of small size guilds with the HoT guild system
- OP tactivators for those that can afford it
- Server links without fixing the identity issue
- Massive bonus PPT for high tier objectives which wrecked the scoring system that actually started to turn out decent, PPK tuned down to TL;DR level of importance
- And now we got 2-1-1 on top of this kittensauce

I disagree on DBL (it has it’s problems, mostly size and the shrine buffs are stupid) but 100% agree on the rest, in particular what HoT did to the roaming guilds.

Also, agree with Ashen. I signed up for Kaining, for roaming and guerilla tactics. I did not sign up to be an unwilling servant to NSP or Dragonbrand.

Rewards: add better things for Badges of honor. Ascended gear, WvW exclusive skins, eve exclusive runes, wvw exclusive foods and utilities. Pretty sure WVW has no legendary backpack like other game modes.

SO MUCH THIS AS WELL!!! Why does PvP (that doesn’t even need the stats or infusion slots) get Ascended Rewards?

Maybe it’s time to give up the week-long match model… Skirmishes were a good way to give focus to a certain time frame, but the overall score still tied to a match that is too long.

Shorter matchups would make imbalance a bit more “bearable” since we wouldn’t have to wait 7 days when we roll a entirely loopsided one.

Agreed, honestly, think it’s time for 2 or 3 day matchups. Maybe M/T, W/Th, and F/Sat/Sun as the matchup days, the long one on the weekend.

Kylden
Leader of TACO mini-roamer guild, Kaineng.

in WvW

Posted by: Kylden Ar.3724

Kylden Ar.3724

==continued====
Now, what do we do? Here is the short list of my suggestions, many related to and inspired by the above —

1) Matchups need to be shorter.

2) World links need to die. Either just unlink or consolodate the servers and let people build their new, fixed communities.

3) There either MUST BE a way to get Ascended in WvW that is NOT RNG, OR WvW needs to adopt the PvP build system.

4) To discourage k-trains, taken objectives should NOT auto-repair. The walls and gates are down, you need to put them back up before you move on. Camps obviously have nothing to repair, but maybe you need to revive the guards under your command.

4.1) In a related issue, to prevent Seige Spam, they are no longer tied to a given world. It’s medival seige, it did not have Friend or Foe tech, or DNA locks. You leave a cata outside the tower you just took, enemy can use it. This would require a ‘self destruct’ skill to be added to each.

4.2) in another related issue, fix the kitten walls to favor defenders. It should not be a death sentance to fight from the edge without being back 300 and using an arrow cart.

5) Make DBL just a little smaller. It’s much better now, but still takes too long to cross. Take out the Oaisis, and shorten the map. Leave the middle area very simple for people looking for fights. As of now, I only use it to cross as a roamer cause it’s safe as NO ONE GOES THERE.

6) To address the problem of it never lets you rest, perhaps if you are killed in an enemy borderland, you can’t respawn there for a period (say, 15 minutes). You can go to your borderland to defend, or EBG, or EotM. That also helps prevent the never ending train of assaults on Bay/Hills until one side gives up and goes to bed, only for it to still be flipped by night cappers, increasing frustration.

Take of these ideas what you will.

Regards,

Kylden
Leader of TACO mini-roamer guild, Kaineng.

in WvW

Posted by: James Rustler.7860

James Rustler.7860

World linking has done nothing to help population balance. It’s worse than ever. Look at NA T4—WTF is FA doing in there? And for the second week in a row? People on the other servers are quitting left and right because they just have no ****ing chance against those numbers.

Anet, are you trying to kill your own game? Why?

(edited by James Rustler.7860)

in WvW

Posted by: Clint.6145

Clint.6145

Anet has killed the lower tiered servers and now the lowest tier server is fighting against tier one . The matchups they make are to oneside its almost like they let the computer randomly pick the matchups .Tonight was the first night i just logged out and thinking of calling it quits .

in WvW

Posted by: Rambitshouse.8712

Rambitshouse.8712

This doesn’t make sense at all. FA wrecks T4 last week but HoD moves up to T3 against YB and SOS? SOS came in second in T2 last match and YB won T3.

This is all over the place.

Dtox

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

its almost like they let the computer randomly pick the matchups

Yes, that’s exactly how match-making works. There’s some randomization put into the ordering of servers by glicko rating to prevent the matches from becoming too static. FA appears to have gotten the “negative roll” while DB got a “positive roll”.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: James Rustler.7860

James Rustler.7860

Yes, that’s exactly how match-making works. There’s some randomization put into the ordering of servers by glicko rating to prevent the matches from becoming too static. FA appears to have gotten the “negative roll” while DB got a “positive roll”.

Two weeks in a row? What are the odds of that? Regardless, the population difference is extreme—their matchmaking system needs to be smart enough to keep such one-sided matchups from happening. It’s costing them players.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

Two weeks in a row? What are the odds of that? Regardless, the population difference is extreme—their matchmaking system needs to be smart enough to keep such one-sided matchups from happening. It’s costing them players.

The random glicko range is +/-100. There are 8 out of 12 teams all within that range of each other. /shrug

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

in WvW

Posted by: Pixelninja.6971

Pixelninja.6971

Easy Solution: Reduce number of tiers to 2 for NA and 3 for EU.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

No thank you, I’d like to actually play the game, and not pretend to be someone elses backpack.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

No thank you, I’d like to actually play the game, and not pretend to be someone elses backpack.

The linking did work great so far, no? Throwing more people onto existing problems worked out well. At some point it might be NA vs EU and I will be able to see some old friends of mine again without having to transfer back to NA.

in WvW

Posted by: Pixelninja.6971

Pixelninja.6971

It’s obvious that they dont want to spend lots of resources on WvW.
My solution is a quick fix one developer could implement in one day.

The Population is rapidly declining. Playing on empty Maps is not fun, even in T1 the Borderland-maps are empty most of the time.

It doesn’t fix the underlying problems with WvW, but it’s better than doing nothing.

(edited by Pixelninja.6971)

in WvW

Chaba.5410

That’s misleading. T1’s empty maps are a result of a playstyle that doesn’t allow for a variety atm. I have accounts in both T1 and T4. When I have to run around for 30m in EBG on my T1 account farming nodes and seeing nothing while I could hop on my T4 account and get action, that’s very telling to me.

Maybe someday the general playerbase will realize that WvW is designed like an RTS, not a 40v40 battle arena, and requires a variety of units to be fun. I’ve written here for a long time now that WvW is most healthy when there is a mix of styles. That still seems to hold true.

kitten has tried to dominate and push with a single blob “fights” style with nothing in-between. That’s why T1 is “dead” right now and why T2 isn’t much better. When I get roamer friends who mainly play on Mag whispering me how much fun they are having in the T4 match on their alts, that affirms my opinions.

Player created problems….

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

The Population is rapidly declining. Playing on empty Maps is not fun, even in T1 the Borderland-maps are empty most of the time.

It doesn’t fix the underlying problems with WvW, but it’s better than doing nothing.

You do realize that the former links haven’t helped but that wvw is still losing players, yes? They even lose players each time they turn a server into a link (We’ve had that on EU recently) and they also probably lose players with each linkings. Merging/linking/reducing tiers will only lead to only one tier left.

ETA: And how do you go back from there? If they don’t work on the combat and wvw mechanics/balance it will only get worse, no matter how many servers they’ll link with each other.

kitten has tried to dominate and push with a single blob “fights” style with nothing in-between. That’s why T1 is “dead” right now and why T2 isn’t much better. When I get roamer friends who mainly play on Mag whispering me how much fun they are having in the T4 match on their alts, that affirms my opinions.

50/50 – people stopped to solo roam with Hot and if servers are too crowded small scale becomes useless on top of that, yes. To me this isn’t a player but game designer created problem. Hell, I held a camp alone against 8 back in the day.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

That’s misleading. T1’s empty maps are a result of a playstyle that doesn’t allow for a variety atm. I have accounts in both T1 and T4. When I have to run around for 30m in EBG on my T1 account farming nodes and seeing nothing while I could hop on my T4 account and get action, that’s very telling to me.

Maybe someday the general playerbase will realize that WvW is designed like an RTS, not a 40v40 battle arena, and requires a variety of units to be fun. I’ve written here for a long time now that WvW is most healthy when there is a mix of styles. That still seems to hold true.

Mostly people have left or are leaving because the gameplay on some classes is simply more frustrating than fun. The synergy between classes feels broken and skill-less cheese builds have taken over. Those who mastered their classes feel that all their effort has now gone to waste, they feel betrayed as they get owned by inexperienced new players running the cheesiest broken build.

Summary: Broken gameplay is the core reason why most of my friends left and the GvG guilds left. Terrible balance can’t keep people playing but good gameplay will keep people playing even if there are other issues like a lack of rewards.

in WvW

Posted by: Rambitshouse.8712

Rambitshouse.8712

Mostly people have left or are leaving because the gameplay on some classes is simply more frustrating than fun. The synergy between classes feels broken and skill-less cheese builds have taken over. Those who mastered their classes feel that all their effort has now gone to waste, they feel betrayed as they get owned by inexperienced new players running the cheesiest broken build.

Summary: Broken gameplay is the core reason why most of my friends left and the GvG guilds left. Terrible balance can’t keep people playing but good gameplay will keep people playing even if there are other issues like a lack of rewards.

Yep, the gameplay just isn’t enjoyable anymore. Ignoring of the community really isn’t helping the game as well since our communities are basically broken. Even PVE doesn’t feel right. Not much coming back from that, these guilds and servers can try all they want, it’s noble but the revivals are not happening.

Dtox

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

It would be extremly presumptuous to label all low players as inexperienced, quite the opposite, many lowbies are in fact golds or higher in another life. Besides, after years of being targetted for the green arrow or low rank above their head, it’s sometimes quite satisfying to see a lowby alt kick the kitten out of a Plat.

Speaking of Plats by the by, I’ve personally seen entire zergs of them running nothing but cheese. Sure sure, they’re pugs, I know, pugs will be pugs.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

This is exactly it. They don’t seem to realize that. Changes to stability. Buffs to condi for the sake of pve without them even caring that condi was already op before those changes in wvw. Crappy changes made for the sake of pve and spvp without any thought at all of the effect it would have on wvw. They really, really need separate balance for wvw. Its long past time for them to get over the delusion that all skills should be uniform across all modes. Nice concept on paper, doesn’t work in practice. It NEEDS separate balance because it plays drastically different from the other modes. They need to just accept this already and stop being stubborn and do whats best for the game. The rapid decline in wvw population after they made these stupid changes should tell them that much. Most companies would have taken the hint already that what theyre doing now is wrong.

in WvW

Posted by: WizardBro.4510

WizardBro.4510

If you people think anet gives a kitten about wvw you’re kidding yourselves. Only thing they’ve done is add reward tracks and change the scoring system and make us baby dolyaks like we’re in pve guarding a transport. It’s a joke.

in WvW

Posted by: heydurian.6459

heydurian.6459

T1 already destroy by Anet
now, t2 better than t1 server
this not mean their skill
i mean T2 WVW ambience

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

==continued====
Now, what do we do? Here is the short list of my suggestions, many related to and inspired by the above —

1) Matchups need to be shorter.

- I can agree with this, 3½ days would be enough

2) World links need to die. Either just unlink or consolodate the servers and let people build their new, fixed communities.

- This is true indeed, indeed. Relinking isn’t solving anything anymore, it is the issue that the people have started hating some of the main servers and their communities and will just leave them, even if anet does perfect population linking

3) There either MUST BE a way to get Ascended in WvW that is NOT RNG, OR WvW needs to adopt the PvP build system.

- My suggestion for this was that people can get tokens for ascended set amount from kills and capturing objectives. Means by only killing people you can reach 50% of the maximum amount in a day, which will make people give more mentality towards defending + capping.

4) To discourage k-trains, taken objectives should NOT auto-repair. The walls and gates are down, you need to put them back up before you move on. Camps obviously have nothing to repair, but maybe you need to revive the guards under your command.

- Ktrains are not an issue in EU anymore, I dont see anyone doing it outside nighttime, because capping wooden objectives is not worth it anymore with the new scoring system.
People would just leave gates/walls unrepaired, and that would make perfect 3 server karmatrain, no gates/walls needed to be taken down for any server.

4.1) In a related issue, to prevent Seige Spam, they are no longer tied to a given world. It’s medival seige, it did not have Friend or Foe tech, or DNA locks. You leave a cata outside the tower you just took, enemy can use it. This would require a ‘self destruct’ skill to be added to each.

- This is an interesting change id say, biggest issue would be with defensive siege and the targeting system, which servers can kill the ac with damage. If none, wont it just stand there? If all, it will just be destroyed by some troll?

4.2) in another related issue, fix the kitten walls to favor defenders. It should not be a death sentance to fight from the edge without being back 300 and using an arrow cart.

Actually the current system at the moment favors defenders a lot, because most inner keeps and towers have great ac spots + guild claim. Theres south towers, north desert towers and 5 eb towers that are undefendable with acs against catas but all those spots are far from the wall, not against it.

5) Make DBL just a little smaller. It’s much better now, but still takes too long to cross. Take out the Oaisis, and shorten the map. Leave the middle area very simple for people looking for fights. As of now, I only use it to cross as a roamer cause it’s safe as NO ONE GOES THERE.

My suggestion for this was to add portals in the oasis area, so people can port to north or south side of the map when out of combat, skipping the oasis area completely, making changing the map easier. I dont think people will still play it though because the north towers are so secluded.

6) To address the problem of it never lets you rest, perhaps if you are killed in an enemy borderland, you can’t respawn there for a period (say, 15 minutes). You can go to your borderland to defend, or EBG, or EotM. That also helps prevent the never ending train of assaults on Bay/Hills until one side gives up and goes to bed, only for it to still be flipped by night cappers, increasing frustration.

Take of these ideas what you will.

Regards,

Lol this is so ppt, its already impossible to cap anything when defenders cover even numbers + build siege. Being able to cap stuff when outnumbering and fight when both servers know there is nothing they can cap from each other is the whole allure of WvW. Lets say 10 defenders wipe 20 attackers, those 10 defenders can easily run 250 supply from Garri, possibly 500, if they’re organised enough in the time enemy runs back to bay/hills. Its not supposed to be impossible for those 20 guys to flip the objective, it is supposed to be timeconsuming.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

(edited by Threather.9354)

in WvW

Posted by: shiri.4257

shiri.4257

World linking has done nothing to help population balance. It’s worse than ever. Look at NA T4—WTF is FA doing in there? And for the second week in a row? People on the other servers are quitting left and right because they just have no ****ing chance against those numbers.

Anet, are you trying to kill your own game? Why?

FA late NA has good variety of fights. don’t look at it from a tier or server perspective. and wvw becomes much easier to handle. Don’t mind them rotating down here. Every server in every tier can queue NA prime. It’s just relative if there’s a competent tag on or if the 4 tags on EBG know how to fight back. Which is something you don’t see taken seriously from CD links. SF has a JOC group that can queue a map, 4/5 tags. but 3/4 tags run on sight, the other one stacks up and just gets rolled.

Just roll the servers around so the guilds have someone to fight. you’ll learn which ones are trash right away as they fade when they are losing the coverage wars in which they have no control over the 20 hours they don’t raid.

Then again I’m all for a guild based system. Where the server is just a base of operations. Then recruit allied guilds or whatever you want to call them to raid alongside that and enjoy raiding with you. Keep it fresh.

~Kasumei/Machiato
Desert Spectre [VII]-Crystal Desert
“You’re never out of the fight.”

(edited by shiri.4257)

in WvW

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

As bad as WvW is, it’s still better than PvP. At least the fights are much more fun, I actually get to fight in an open field and not be reduced to fighting in a freakin circle.

I know PvP looks good on the outside, but don’t be fooled by the leagues and e-sports hoopla. Take those away plus the reward tracks and PvP is DEAD. This conquest thing has been beaten to death and past it. With the atrocious balance and matchmaking, it’s not getting better. I’ve already quit.

Still, I’m not holding my breath on WvW being fixed either. WvW, as well as PvP needs a substantial amount of focus and resources. We’re talking PvE levels of focus here. I don’t see that happening.

Frankly, I’d rather be here.