Throw your commanders a bone

in WvW

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

Totally agree with the OP. Commanders should, at the very least, have:

-overhead overview UI with the total counts of players in their squad, supply they’re carrying and the amount of siege BP’s in the squad

-ability to quickly designate goals on the minimap. Commanders should be able to drop “pins” with attack, defend or move orders which would be visible to the entire squad on their maps and minimaps. Saves time, is clear and does not rely on third party programs like TS which usually end up with puggies guessing as to what is the next move.

In addition to above, commanders should also have:

-detailed squad UI, with complete roster of players who have joined, their classes, HP, true level, (upcoming) ranks and other data essential for making informed decisions.

-ability to designate smaller arbitrary groups of players and set the above mentioned goals on the minimap per group, so that players can get easy to understand and clear goals
-ability to see different designated groups on the minimap in different colors for easier battlefield awareness

And if I were in charge of the programming team, I’d also throw in a simple approximation bar for each group strength, which would be calculated based on overall group numbers, members alive / members downed or dead etc.

And most importantly: bonus XP and karma for players following orders. Because without that we all know half the zerg will just stay with the main group and ignore instructions.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

in WvW

Posted by: Synda Raines.1836

Synda Raines.1836

Well i have not been in WvW for very long, in fact i’m only playing GW2 for about 6 weeks now. I did play GW 1 for about 6 years but hardly ever went into PvP or the Cantha PvPE areas.

I first went into WvW for 100% completion, and since have not done much PvE lol. I like it despite it’s numerous flaws.

Firstly i have no ambition becoming a commander myself because i dont want any online obligations. If i want to play i play, if i spend 3 weeks in a row playing from 18:00 till 01:00 weekdays and 16 hours during weekends i do. If i get fed up with it and dont play for 6 weeks. That probably wont go with serious WvW dedication.

Now i do have some observations about commanders and things i have been thinking about the last few weeks.

Make Commander at least 500G + XXX badges of honour

Right now any idiot with enough money either ingame or to buy gems can become a commander.

Upgrade to Commander rankings with something of a point system by WvW achievements or to be voted on by guilds who is the best or most respected commander.

Limit the amount of commanders that can be active on a map. Every next commander that comes online after X commanders already there automatically becomes a Squadleader. It’s up to the commanders on the map themselves to have another one voluntarily step down to squadleader if this new commander is a higher ranking one.

As stated already by others give commanders the tools to “command” Display player levels, player supplies, status reports on gates etc.

Have them be able to form 50 man parties which get it’s own colorcode on the map and also show player names in that color so players dont go rushing off behind the wrong commander. To many times already i’ve seen 2 commanders come in with a group to support and one commander ends up with half the players following the other commander after the battle. I made that mistake to a couple of times it’s an easy one to make and it becomes worse the more commanders are on the map.

Commanders need to be able to mark points on the map in the color of their party and to set target priorities or goals 1-2-3 that can be seen by all others on the minimap. Also this way the party members know the route they are going to take and if downed and need to port back know where to go and take the shortest route.

Give commanders those different colors to map mark so players know which commander just set a priority target. If it’s commander Y who put the mark and they are with commander X they dont need to respond unless commander X orders so. This way players do know something is going on and be prepared to stop what they are doing and assist if commander Y asks X to come over to help. That way more casual WvW players not on Mumble, TS etc, also understand why they suddenly break off when the gate is at 15% and rush of to somewhere else.

Integrate a “one way” teamspeak feature only commanders can log on to and use to communicate to each other and which players on that map can only hear. That way there’s no obligation for players to install 3th party programs or join an active WvW guild and their TS. Simply turn “Commander” talk on in the sound options instead of music and listen to the orders. No need for commanders to type orders in the chatchannel and get chatflood and they know 99% of the players gest the order.

Lastly, a scout line in the chatpannel where players not in a party can report enemy movements, then it’s up to the commander closest to respond or not, either by sending his own scout to kitten the situation or immediatly reply in force. At the moment alot of calls get lost in the map or say chat.

These are just a few rough ideas i have about making WvW an even more fun place at times to be in and also draw in more not WvW oreinted players because they dont feel lost from the start and think they have to be in a big guild to join WvW and contribute.

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

All the stuff you guys suggested was pretty much what Warhammer’s “Warband” system had. Hopefully they make grouping properly a priority soon.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Eclipses.7152

Eclipses.7152

All the stuff you guys suggested was pretty much what Warhammer’s “Warband” system had. Hopefully they make grouping properly a priority soon.

Don’t count on it.

Eclipses
The Royal Guard – http://theroyalguardclan.enjin.com
Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

Well Warhammer’s WvW system was overall better, even if the game itself wasn’t. Ah the days of shield walls in keep defense… now that required some coordination. Much more entertaining than just zergballing like angry bees.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

in WvW

Posted by: Narcissus.1058

Narcissus.1058

I will throw my commanders a bone when they earn my respect

Aburame Shino, FC WvWer extrordinaire
Leader of the FC Vanguard Initiative(RIP)
Some random guy in [EDGE]

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

Well Warhammer’s WvW system was overall better, even if the game itself wasn’t. Ah the days of shield walls in keep defense… now that required some coordination. Much more entertaining than just zergballing like angry bees.

Personally I don’t think the system was better, but it certainly had some features that obliterates things in GW2. As mentioned earlier, the warband multiple grouping system in WO is still the best I’ve ever used…. it certainly puts the current commander and squad system to shame.

There was still a lot of standing around in Warhammer waiting for zones to flip. The changes they made about a year after release really helped, but by that time 80% of the people had quit.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

Even as fail as Warhammer is/was it’s warband system was Waaaaay better than this one.

It’s one thing they got right, and I’d love to see this flexibility to group in GW2.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

The command structure (or lack of it it) in WvW is this game’s most abysmal failing.

It should be priority #1 but instead we get WXP ranks, which also show little actual thought – I mean ‘bronze recruit’>’legend’ wtf?.

in WvW

Posted by: Pavel.5192

Pavel.5192

other players will follow them anywhere just because of that dot.

somebody joined WvW and wanted to command, but there were more than 2 commanders already, somebody turned blue icon on, call ppl to go with him, but noone joined, so somebody posted this angry post to forum… come on, you arent the only commander

4ever roaming

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

The command structure (or lack of it it) in WvW is this game’s most abysmal failing.

It should be priority #1 but instead we get WXP ranks, which also show little actual thought – I mean ‘bronze recruit’>‘legend’ wtf?.

It should be easy to group and organize with your guild for private events or guild WvW runs. It is anything but with the current system.

Just because you want to group with more than 5 people doesn’t mean you want to be a commander and lead the whole zone.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

Just wondering what came from the CDI done on this topic recently.

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

Just wondering what came from the CDI done on this topic recently.

Same as the hacking issues…. nothing is done. But at least discussing the failures in GW2 grouping systems doesn’t get the thread deleted like the hacking/exploits do.

Very disappointing that one of the most needed features in the game wasn’t in the “big feature” patch. I wonder if it even made the list….

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

Guys, get over it. WvW is only a game mode for you to play while the PvE boss timers reset. They won’t support it.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

Guys, get over it. WvW is only a game mode for you to play while the PvE boss timers reset. They won’t support it.

That’s obvious. Almost two years since the first BW event when people said I want to make guild or private squads and have better functionality as a commander. I think all they’ve added is a way to turn the pin on/off and a slash command?

Actions speak louder than words…. or in this case INaction.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: zortek.9607

zortek.9607

PvE? What’s that? Must be related to that daily crap…

in WvW

Loosmaster.8263

PvE? What’s that? Must be related to that daily crap…

Saphan, I thoroughly enjoyed WvW with you while doing my tenure on JQ. Hope to meet you on the battlefield again someday.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

Guys, get over it.

Fair point.

I think those that wanted the change badly have (for the most part) given up on ANet pulling their finger out.

The average player moved on, made do or just forgot about its short comings.

Reposting this just because it’s pure genius:

It’s all about risk management. The “burn-down” board the scrums are working off of is being populated by deliverables that are chiefly valued by bean counters.

IMHO, we are live witnessing (here) the downward spiral of the latest in a long line…

People have traveled different paths to get here and many have witnessed splendor and innovation. For example, some have traveled through (some version of):

• MU*
  • Meridian59
  • Ultima Online
  • Lineage
  • EverQuest
  • Asheron’s Call
  • Anarchy Online
  • Final Fantasy
  • Eve Online
  • City of Heros/Villains
  • World of Warcraft
  • Star Wars Galaxies
  • Dungeons & Dragons Online
  • Lord of the Rings Online
  • Age of Conan
  • Warhammer Online
  • Champions Online
  • Star Trek Online
  • Star Wars The Old Republic

…and some have traveled through them all (or even more that are not listed here).

Each reaches(ed) a plateau. RARE is it that any company can achieve the necessary support to push their (own) production product through a significant upgrade to the user experience.

I don’t deny that there are “tweeks” that enhance features that were not aligned with the original “cast in stone” (internal) expectations. I simply observe that the heritage player develops a sense of acceptance (akin to surrender) until a new innovation disrupts hir loyal play or that of the majority of hir friends.

Yes, gamers’ life and attention is limited. I would build on your statement and suggest that elite gamers’ tolerance and loyalty has explicit bounds. That boundary is influenced by both economic suitable substitutes and relationship gravity.

Game companies flirt with this risk when their product does not remain competitive in the entertainment market.

A year of waiting for a mature UI/UE for commanders is an eternity. That is a terribly long time for angst to build over stupidly simple things like chat suppression, pin colors, etc..

Add to that lag issues, rubber-banding, disconnects, and skill nullification — and the pump is primed for a mass exodus or population disruption as soon as the next mass combat offering is released.

To date, there has yet to release a “new” or “viable” (forward looking) alternative to WvW.

ANet doesn’t care, ultimately because it doesn’t have to. ESO mass PvP turned a few heads but it has also failed to impress many. Camelot Unchained isn’t until late next year so ANet can still afford to drag its feet.

in WvW

Posted by: ammayhem.5962

ammayhem.5962

There’s still a tiny bit in us all that thinks: “Someday Anet will help WvW…someday…”

We’re still waiting…

Port Sledge University [PSU]
Sorrow’s Furnace

in WvW

Loosmaster.8263

There’s still a tiny bit in us all that thinks: “Someday Anet will help WvW…someday…”

Same here, I still play it, just don’t expect anything to change nor do I purchase Gems anymore.

We’re still waiting…

Tacktical Killers [TK]
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: Vernn.5369

Vernn.5369

Been away from the game for about a year and wanted to see what`s new in WvW (I may or may not have bought the game purely for this “feature”) and lo and behold, it`s still the same with little to absolutely no changes.

Such a shame, such a waste of great potential.

in WvW

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

How does a game do everything mechanically so well but then polish it with the most abysmal UI possible?

WvW is an unorganized zerg fest, commanders run around with an unknown amount of players/siege/supply counts.

No simple raid UI, no ability to manage group make ups, no quick supply count without calling for everyone to stack on your location and type a command.

No quick way to label groups in order to assign tasks. No surprise it’s a massive zerg fest since release.

All this on top of culling which is just eating away at Commander morale cause they don’t have the most basic tools for organization, they spend more time wondering what they have to work with then actually thinking of a tactic.

Arenanet, get with the 21st century and do what games did 10 years ago, have a functional UI on top of their game, I can’t even tell how much HP my party members have outside of a green bar. Who gave the green light for WvW on release? Did you spend 90% of the time figuring out how many non essential NPCs to throw out in the “living battlefield” before thinking “Hey if we want this to be a warzone with siege/tactics and fortified positions maybe the commanders will want to have an idea of what forces they are leading/supply they are carrying/grroup make ups/map locations of squad groups/rally points etc”

This is more of a rant than anything but it just baffles me at how bad the game is supported by it’s UI. I have a commander tag and I dread using it because it’s more of a headache then it is fun to command in this game. You have thrown no bone to the players who are attempting to enjoy your WvW experience, it’s literally a joke.

Apparently you can get infracted for telling the truth now.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

How does a game do everything mechanically so well but then polish it with the most abysmal UI possible?

This is more of a rant than anything but it just baffles me at how bad the game is supported by it’s UI. I have a commander tag and I dread using it because it’s more of a headache then it is fun to command in this game. You have thrown no bone to the players who are attempting to enjoy your WvW experience, it’s literally a joke.

Apparently you can get infracted for telling the truth now.

I agree with Inigma, one of the worse multi grouping systems I’ve used in MMO’s. I never use my commander tag either…. not worth the headache when running multi group havoc force.

And yes you will get infracted for calling it like it is… just look at the hundreds of posts complaining about the invisible players and golems in WvW. Oh wait.. you can’t. All the posts were deleted.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

Please ANet?

Pretty please?

Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

Please ANet?

Pretty please?

Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Anet is immune to begging or apparently common sense when it comes to grouping in WvW. Keep trying thought if it makes ya happy.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry