Tier 1 EU needs assistance ArenaNet.

in WvW

Posted by: CorliCorso.6254

CorliCorso.6254

What I find strange with the Glicko thing is that you can win your match yet lose points overall because your win wasn’t as “macho” as the prior week. It’s a very odd system.

Glicko (and other Elo-like systems) is a way of assessing a competitor’s overall strength compared to everyone else. It’s a perfectly fine system when used like that.

However in WvW you’re locked in matchups against other servers in your tier, so you’re only ever being compared against those servers, therefore the longer a matchup continues the less the score reflects the competitor’s strength against everyone else.

The current scores suggest Deso is strong than Elona Reach, but I don’t think anyone really believes that at all, not as things are right now. If the Glicko system were able to use results of Deso vs a number of other servers then there would be a much more accurate rating. But it can’t, so there isn’t.

If Mr Carver is acknowledging this weakness in the system & bringing more variety to matchups then that’s fantastic. Unfortunately it looks like coming a few weeks to late for the Deso community.

I think people could put up with the various gameplay issues if it weren’t for the monotony, the prospect of knowing the same unbalanced matchup awaits you at the next reset.

With Elona coming up and the above issues with Viz then perhaps next week will be a slightly more different experience, but I don’t think it’d be enough to get me playing regularly again.

in WvW

Posted by: WhiteOmen.6459

WhiteOmen.6459

I would love to come back and play GW2 alongside my guild mates again. After almost a month off & playing other games due to Tier 1, I’m seriously missing GW2 and all the fun we had on Deso before the latest patches.

I know however that it is too late for a lot of my guild. They’re already max levels on other games and having their fun elsewhere.
There is no mistake about it, that GW2 is currently one of the best on the market at what it does – just the design choices in WvW of late have been seriously questionable.
You wow’d us when you got rid of culling – now wow us with a new rating system/leader boards/guild boards etc.

Blackbrior [IRON]
(SoR)

in WvW

Posted by: Crimson Magdelana.9024

Crimson Magdelana.9024

I’m truly happy Anet is addressing this, and I hope servers get some much overdue love as far as rankings are concerned. I’ve been on Isle of Janthir since Beta…and we were stuck in t1-t3 and then slowly descended in the ranks against servers with 5x the manpower we had. All because of the pay to transfer ordeal, and being stuck against the same two servers for a month or two. Sure we held our own against most for a week or two, but at one point in time we had six (READ: SIX) Commanders on IoJ that regularly Commanded in WvW. From January all the way into March-ish. Because everyone left. Then our population began to grow again mid-march.

Being a t1/t2 server for a month or two, and then losing a lot of your WvW population shouldn’t mean that you have to struggle tier after tier after tier (loss, after loss, after loss) until you find a tier you can hold your own in. We (IoJ) are finally in a tier we can at least have some fun in…even if it is T6.

Anet addressing this issue is great. I hope they fix it soon. Population migrations are detrimental to a server in both WvW & PVE (dem bonuses). Anet saying “Hey we’re gonna start charging you for transfers, and then reset rankings” but never resetting the rankings has taken its toll. I’m happy to see some attention to the “stuck in a tier we can’t handle at the moment” issue. And I wish you guys in T1 the best. Been there, done that. And tumbled all the way to the bottom…losing week after week makes even more players leave. It wasn’t fun. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

You call it afk. I call it getting a beer.

in WvW

Posted by: Angelyne.2936

Angelyne.2936

It’s obvious for everybody that the system need to be changed. We are all ok on this. so let’s go. It’s a 3 faction. winner goes up, 2nd stay, 3rd goes down. end of the story. simple, efficiant, no headtache, and a true short term goal for everybody.

Anet saying “Hey we’re gonna start charging you for transfers, and then reset rankings” but never resetting the rankings has taken its toll.

Reset canceled because a ton of players were crying about it on this forum. Most of them are the same that are crying about the cancelation today.

Angelyne – Guild Leader for Metatrone – Vizunah Square [Fr] on EU Ladder

(edited by Angelyne.2936)

in WvW

Posted by: Crimson Magdelana.9024

Crimson Magdelana.9024

It’s obvious for everybody that the system need to be changed. We are all ok on this. so let’s go. It’s a 3 faction. winner goes up, 2nd stay, 3rd goes down. end of the story. simple, efficiant, no headtache, and a true short term goal for everybody.

Anet saying “Hey we’re gonna start charging you for transfers, and then reset rankings” but never resetting the rankings has taken its toll.

Reset canceled because a ton of players were crying about it on this forum. Most of them are the same that are crying about the cancelation today.

Prolly because they migrated to servers that they thought would most benefit..either them or the server in general. To each his own motive. Either way, I wish none of them ill will. Good for you, you jumped ship and landed somewhere you thought you belonged, and maybe even made a difference. Good for you. The die hard server players suffered though. Some of us have a bit more pride than jumping straight to a “winning” server. Struggle is half of the battle, coming out on top in the middle of the struggle is more rewarding than anything. Accepting your fate as an abandoned server, and tumbling from somewhere you earned being, into an endless loop of losses until you find a place you can handle….all because of the “system” though…it’s plain torture.

You call it afk. I call it getting a beer.

in WvW

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

We are trying to do some things to make the matchups move around more and should have more detailed information in the near future. However, one thing to remember is that if there is one server that is defeating everyone so handily, changing the matchup is just going to let that server beat up on different people. Which is probably better, so long as those people don’t get stuck there too. Regardless, we know this is a problem and we are working on it.

Mixign up the fights is good, but I cant really see any solution to one server dominating. The reasons for VS steamrolling other servers are outside of Anets control. Its a result of the player base and how we have ended up playing.

in WvW

Posted by: HypnoticEyes.2683

HypnoticEyes.2683

There could be some easy solutions for this and no doubt some harder ones, but really: It is fixable and should be fixed to keep wvw interesting.

Some examples?
Easy solutions:
-Force people to play on servers based on their timezones (can always guest for pve afterall). This would stop the nightcapping by US timezone based people, making it an even playingfield
-Disable wvw during the servers timezone’s night (for example between 2 and 5 bst for EU servers)

Harder solutions:
-Enhance npc activity/numbers based on the amount of players from that server on the map compared to other servers. Simply create more, give them more hp, more damage or even siege usage, just to make the towers and especially the keeps still good enough defended. That will make it a lot harder to flip everything over night and would even balance between tiers if done well. That way rotating matches wouldn’t just be another server getting rolled over, but would make it challenging even when low activity.
-Stop the seperation of servers. If there is no US and EU based servers and server match-ups, but those are mixed instead you’ll see a change in activity for sure, as well as many servers with 24/7 wvw activity. Biggest concern will probably be lag based issues, but again: That shouldn’t be unfixable

I’m sure there are plenty of people who have got some idea’s how to fix it and I realise kitten #8217;s not possible to please everyone. That being said: As things are now one of the pillars of the game is getting rather pointless at some point for every server, leading to people quitting or low wvw participation. That should be reason enough to take some bold actions.

in WvW

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

Some examples?
Easy solutions:
-Force people to play on servers based on their timezones (can always guest for pve afterall). This would stop the nightcapping by US timezone based people, making it an even playingfield
-Disable wvw during the servers timezone’s night (for example between 2 and 5 bst for EU servers)

Harder solutions:
-Enhance npc activity/numbers based on the amount of players from that server on the map compared to other servers. Simply create more, give them more hp, more damage or even siege usage, just to make the towers and especially the keeps still good enough defended. That will make it a lot harder to flip everything over night and would even balance between tiers if done well. That way rotating matches wouldn’t just be another server getting rolled over, but would make it challenging even when low activity.
-Stop the seperation of servers. If there is no US and EU based servers and server match-ups, but those are mixed instead you’ll see a change in activity for sure, as well as many servers with 24/7 wvw activity. Biggest concern will probably be lag based issues, but again: That shouldn’t be unfixable

I’m sure there are plenty of people who have got some idea’s how to fix it and I realise kitten s not possible to please everyone. That being said: As things are now one of the pillars of the game is getting rather pointless at some point for every server, leading to people quitting or low wvw participation. That should be reason enough to take some bold actions.

Force people to play on certain servers? how exactly? its easy to get around and would split communities. much better to just abandon all regional serversand make every server a world server with players at all times.

And who are you to say who gets to play when? not everyone works standard hours or conforms to your playtimes.

I think there would be a backlash to increased NPC’s in wvwvw,

I think the only solution is to make servers global, then there is no “off time” as thats just another regions prime time.

in WvW

Posted by: Air.3154

Air.3154

We are trying to do some things to make the matchups move around more and should have more detailed information in the near future. However, one thing to remember is that if there is one server that is defeating everyone so handily, changing the matchup is just going to let that server beat up on different people. Which is probably better, so long as those people don’t get stuck there too. Regardless, we know this is a problem and we are working on it.

Mixign up the fights is good, but I cant really see any solution to one server dominating. The reasons for VS steamrolling other servers are outside of Anets control. Its a result of the player base and how we have ended up playing.

that pretty much sums it up. mixing fight it’s a temporary solution before even other servers outside of deso and sfr starts to avoid fighting Viz at all :\

in WvW

Posted by: Rigel.5789

Rigel.5789

Vizunah has had superior numbers before but it seemed as if alot of them quit during the “rough” times. It will even out over time, untill the next call to arms if there will be any. I don’t think of it as an issue. Forcing people to move or preventing people from playing certain hours is not a good solution in my opinion. Sure they have good coverage, let the other servers with good coverage face them and try their luck. We know the scores as of now have alot to do with coverage, but if you can get a matchup with quite even coverage that means you can get good fights whether you play night, morning, afternoon or primetime. That is the purpose of having the tiers, facing two servers you can fight whenever you want. It’s the even matchups that make epic memories and fights you will never forget.

It is a bit unbalanced in tier 1 now, but a month ago it was not. Let’s not forget that. Now it is the time for other servers to challenge Vizunah and see if they have what it takes to make tier 1 more even.

Narai [VoTF] | Far Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Zog.3954

Zog.3954

It is a bit unbalanced in tier 1 now, but a month ago it was not. Let’s not forget that. Now it is the time for other servers to challenge Vizunah and see if they have what it takes to make tier 1 more even.

Challenge what? How? By doing a zerg aswell and pressing 1 each 10s because of the lag? Going with all your people if a 10m group attacks an objective on another map?
No one wants to play vs them because there is no fun in that. I prefer killing pve mobs. Its just as hard as killing viz players but w/o the lag.

Anet should weaken viz as they did with other t1 servers in the past.

(edited by Zog.3954)

in WvW

Posted by: Rigel.5789

Rigel.5789

Challenge what? How? By doing a zerg aswell and pressing 1 each 10s because of the lag? Going with all your people if a 10m group attacks an objective on another map?
No one wants to play vs them because there is no fun in that. I prefer killing pve mobs. Its just as hard as killing viz players but w/o the lag.

Anet should weaken viz as they did with other t1 servers in the past.

Smaller guild groups have wiped their blobs before, and if the problem is their playstyle then come up with some constructive critism so Anet can change their game instead. We’ve seen other servers challenge them before, so thinking nobody will ever do it again is a bit naive.

Narai [VoTF] | Far Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Spiffytool.9370

Spiffytool.9370

This could be a solution approach:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Suggestion-WvW-2-0/first#post2000731

I do not say my system is perfect rather i want to start a WvW change process together with you.

in WvW

Posted by: CorliCorso.6254

CorliCorso.6254

This could be a solution approach:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Suggestion-WvW-2-0/first#post2000731

I do not say my system is perfect rather i want to start a WvW change process together with you.

I’ve made a similar proposal before, though mine was merely reducing the amount of tiers to three and your opponents would be randomly drawn from the other 8 in your tier.

However, that fits nicely for Europe but not so well for NA, where there are 24 servers. You could split it to four tiers, which wouldn’t provide enough variety, or two tiers, which would provide too much and lead to unbalanced matchups.

in WvW

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

i thought it might be interesting to see how desolation players feel about this. did the new ranking system change the situation? are we still stuck in tier too high for our server performance, but against a random servers (above our tier)?

any response from developers on approximate time of desolation server dropping to appropriate tier would be very appreciated. randomness is a very welcome improvement, but was not the only problem for our server. we need to drop tiers, and having facing VS two weeks in a row doesn’t only feel like a bad joke, but is also giving us rating points…