Tier 1 servers

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Xeeron.9254

Xeeron.9254

There is quite a bit of hyperbole (both positive and negative) around T1. So, as we enter the league soon, here is a little info on T1.

Queue
Not nearly as bad as everyone outside of T1 makes them look like. The only serious queues occur on reset night, and even then, they are usually less than one hour.

During NA and SEA prime, you might encounter queues of a few minutes on some maps. During 75% of the weekdays, you will not have any queue at all on the borderlands.

Skill lag
Used to be horrible, still is pretty bad. Not sure whether the slight change for the better is due to some changes in servers, or the fact that we are having less big three-way fights.

Coverage
With the latest recruitment drive by JQ, all three servers have now constant “basic” coverage. Meaning at least one large team that can respond to threats. Depending on the server and timezone, overall coverage varies between 40-80% of the total number of WvW places. The only time zone below that might be very late NA (which I do not know very well).

The coverage by T1 servers is hugely bigger than that of any other server from T2 on down. I would suggest that the difference is large enough that even a coordinates, weeklong 2vs1 by two lower tier servers could not stop the T1 server from winning.

Roaming
Always existed, and got an additional boost from the introduction of ruins. Roaming in T1 is very similar to lower tiers. One difference is that T1 roamers need to watch out for zergs that might run them over, but given their usual location, that happens only very rarely. Zergs have better things to do than chasing after single players.

Skill
Individual player skill is incredibly hard to measure, and mostly swamped by pure numbers. From what I have seen, I would argue that low level roamers are on the same level as T1 roamers (Note that there is a big distinction between zerg players and roamers in T1). However, lower tier commanders are not as skilled in large zerg tactics as T1 commanders (because they have less experience in them). Thus, T1 servers usually win big fights with even numbers on both sides.

2v1
Happens, depending on map goals of each server. Everyone knows it, everyone is hit by it at times, everyone participates in it at times. However, there never has been anything even remotely close to a successful “conspiracy” to 2v1 any particular server over a long period of time.

All in all, T1 differs from any other tier in having consistent large scale engagements at any time of the day. While differente coverage still changes the PTT, “nightcapping” is a thing of the past.

Xeeron – Strike Force

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Punny.9210

Punny.9210

only one thing bro.

JQ dominates during Night time now. So in term of point and result will most likely go in JQ favor.

Blackgate

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

and roaming is NOT the same as on lower tiers. You have some roamers, but no where near the numbers as on lower tiers.

As for T1, I like that it is stacked. I’d just like to see more competition there. For example, I want to see the top 3 in their own league. I’d like the winner of that league to receive some great prizes and the loser to receive virtually nothing. That would be exciting and bring the competition out.

Regarding queues, I think the big unknown right now is how leagues will affect queues. They might increase if the matchup is close and the PvE achievement hunters decide to play or they might decrease if the matchups are bad.

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

This is secretly a tier 1 recruit thread, isn’tn it?

“Our skill lag is only pretty bad, guys, come on, what you waitin for?”

Gate of Madness

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Pretty much.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Xeeron.9254

Like it or not, if you want consistent large scale fights, you have to go to T1. If you are happy with small scale fights, lower tiers are perfectly fine.

That is not anyones fault, but the automatic outcome of having the current ranking system, and WvW scores that are overwhelmingly determined by numbers.

- Xeeron

Xeeron – Strike Force

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Xeeron.9254

and roaming is NOT the same as on lower tiers. You have some roamers, but no where near the numbers as on lower tiers.

You will have, on average, ~10 players running in groups of one, two or three, per server, per borderland map. Mainly at the new center nodes and south of there. And then another 1 or 2 groups per server of 5-10 people, who might be capping camps.

If you have more than that, props to you. It is plenty enough for me: Want a small scale fight? Run to south ruins. Works any time, any map.

Xeeron – Strike Force

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

Skill lag way greater on T1 than lower tiers. Roaming greater on lower tiers. Blob mentality less on lower tiers.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

Maybe people like to see some screenshots of “outmanned buffs”? Quite a few people still believe in the myth of “queues” in T1 when most of the time the queue exists when the large groups just map hops from 1 BL to another thus freeing up the other BL’s…

-S o S-

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

BG has quite few roamers. We would like to see more roamers join SoR and JQ. SoR has been producing more, but not enough!

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Nickthemoonwolf.1485

Nickthemoonwolf.1485

Like it or not, if you want consistent large scale fights, you have to go to T1. If you are happy with small scale fights, lower tiers are perfectly fine.

That is not anyones fault, but the automatic outcome of having the current ranking system, and WvW scores that are overwhelmingly determined by numbers.

- Xeeron

Or maybe if everyone put a little more effort into NOT ultra stacking 3 servers? Tier 2 used to be pretty constant large scale fights for a handful of months before everyone left to tier1.

Lunar Fighter
Tarnished Coast, Hammer guy of [NOPE]

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

T1 won’t stop recruiting as long as there is one WvW player left in a lower tier.

Time for map caps to stop this GW2 arms race.

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

T1 won’t stop recruiting as long as there is one WvW player left in a lower tier.

There was a time a couple of months ago where T1 was pretty darn balanced. As balanced as things can get anyways, and the only server that was openly recruiting at the time was JQ because they did need help in a few spots. For the most part and for a time, the winner was mainly decided by whichever server actually cared to win on any given week.

However, just like when the announcement of the closing of free transfers changed everything, so did the announcement of leagues.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

There was a time a couple of months ago where T1 was pretty darn balanced. As balanced as things can get anyways, and the only server that was openly recruiting at the time was JQ because they did need help in a few spots. For the most part and for a time, the winner was mainly decided by whichever server actually cared to win on any given week.

However, just like when the announcement of the closing of free transfers changed everything, so did the announcement of leagues.

JQ did sort of over recruit, did they not? I read they have queues now during Asia time for all 4 zones, wow! I guess that server wanted the rumored “Finisher” prize badly for getting 1st place in leagues.

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Super Kruegs.8967

Super Kruegs.8967

FA plays T1 so I’ll share what I know from facing them.

1. If they don’t have bad skill lag I don’t know how they do it, because we get it even having one of their blobs on map. We call it matrix lag, when it lags and you see nothing yet, it means the blob is close.

2. Coverage: All the time everyday there is at least a “float team” map blob. Try to take anything bigger than a tower and they will show up.

3. Roamers are generally bad, but have good builds. I feel like this is a big thing most servers ignore when talking kitten on T1 servers. T1 knows builds for W3. They will be tanky, they will try to res downed players, and worst of all are all they are 75% warriors and guardians. Be prepared for a lots of resets in battle as almost no T1 roamers will go down without at least trying to run and reset the fight.

4. Skill is the hardest part to really figure out as they have sooo many people the overall level is hard to gauge. I always say under 20 in a group they are worse than T2-t3 guilds, but over 20 they are freight trains that will not kill you but turn you into road kill in seconds.

FA [WS]. Small group fights since 2012

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: BAITness.1083

BAITness.1083

I am glad you posted this. Having played in tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3, I can say the biggest difference is definitely our commanders. Our commanders are the best of the best. I have seen people in LA mistakenly assume it is just stacking, calling for might, and charging in. It is just sad how wrong they are, as they are missing out on the strategy and counter-strategy that really makes wvw enjoyable. I have gotten to follow a number of absolutely excellent commanders, and they are very impressive. They manage the map, control where their enemies go, beat larger groups consistently and evolve the strategy of the game with their different ideas. The current strategy relies on a heavy warrior presence, we will see where it goes from here.

The lower tiers like to claim they have better roamers, but I have played against them and they are simply incorrect. In the lower tiers being a “skilled roamer” counts as being a person in a 1v1 build trying to hunt down someone in a team build en route to their group. In T1 we have roamers that can smash entire small groups by themselves, and survive encounters with the mega blobs we have here. When I played on JQ there was a thief who would flip all the camps on the map right before the tick… I don’t recall anybody ever stopping him. I ran into him a few times when groups of players were trying to chase him down, but he either won the fight or chased them off every time. There used to be a few groups completely dedicated to fighting drastically larger numbers, and they were successful – not because the larger number groups were playing very poorly, but rather because the small groups played very well.

You were also dead on about the lag. An FA player expressed it well in a reply, you can literally feel the lag as a zerg is coming. JQ and BG run in full map zergs drastically less often then SoR NA, but all three servers do it. When we are running our nightly raid, our commander will frequently call out “lag… sor zerg is here.” He is correct 100% of the time. I have been in a few SM fights where all 3 servers brought the majority of the players on the map to battle it out in the center… it is awful. Some abilities stop working completely, getting proper fields and blasts is incredibly difficult, and players teleport all over. I feel like the lag has improved a lot lately, but it still has all these problems, just less often and to a lesser extent.

Edit: This isn’t to say that while on lower servers I didn’t meet excellent players. I met a lot of great players. Almost all of them ended up transferring to tier 1 for more good fights, though. It also is not accurate that all tier 1 players are better. I do think that there are more skilled players in tier 1, but there are also more players in tier 1 in general.

Hyade and his flamethrower

(edited by BAITness.1083)

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: RussNazz.4728

RussNazz.4728

I am glad you posted this. Having played in tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3, I can say the biggest difference is definitely our commanders. Our commanders are the best of the best. I have seen people in LA mistakenly assume it is just stacking, calling for might, and charging in. It is just sad how wrong they are, as they are missing out on the strategy and counter-strategy that really makes wvw enjoyable. I have gotten to follow a number of absolutely excellent commanders, and they are very impressive. They manage the map, control where their enemies go, beat larger groups consistently and evolve the strategy of the game with their different ideas. The current strategy relies on a heavy warrior presence, we will see where it goes from here.

The lower tiers like to claim they have better roamers, but I have played against them and they are simply incorrect. In the lower tiers being a “skilled roamer” counts as being a person in a 1v1 build trying to hunt down someone in a team build en route to their group. In T1 we have roamers that can smash entire small groups by themselves, and survive encounters with the mega blobs we have here. When I played on JQ there was a thief who would flip all the camps on the map right before the tick… I don’t recall anybody ever stopping him. I ran into him a few times when groups of players were trying to chase him down, but he either won the fight or chased them off every time. There used to be a few groups completely dedicated to fighting drastically larger numbers, and they were successful – not because the larger number groups were playing very poorly, but rather because the small groups played very well.

You were also dead on about the lag. An FA player expressed it well in a reply, you can literally feel the lag as a zerg is coming. JQ and BG run in full map zergs drastically less often then SoR NA, but all three servers do it. When we are running our nightly raid, our commander will frequently call out “lag… sor zerg is here.” He is correct 100% of the time. I have been in a few SM fights where all 3 servers brought the majority of the players on the map to battle it out in the center… it is awful. Some abilities stop working completely, getting proper fields and blasts is incredibly difficult, and players teleport all over. I feel like the lag has improved a lot lately, but it still has all these problems, just less often and to a lesser extent.

Edit: This isn’t to say that while on lower servers I didn’t meet excellent players. I met a lot of great players. Almost all of them ended up transferring to tier 1 for more good fights, though. It also is not accurate that all tier 1 players are better. I do think that there are more skilled players in tier 1, but there are also more players in tier 1 in general.

This is exactly why I made a thread about asking which top tier server is better for me. People think that I am “bandwaggoning” because I want to join a number 1 tier server, but this is not the case, I just enjoy up scaled battles that require large amounts of players, plus I like to be able to play PvE without having to wait 30 minutes for someone to show up.

~Blackgate~
Leader of The Royal Circle[CIRC]
Gerlik-80 Theif

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

This is exactly why I made a thread about asking which top tier server is better for me. People think that I am “bandwaggoning” because I want to join a number 1 tier server, but this is not the case, I just enjoy up scaled battles that require large amounts of players, plus I like to be able to play PvE without having to wait 30 minutes for someone to show up.

If that is your requirement, then yes any of the T1 servers should be fine.

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

styx.7294

I am tired of hearing how we’re all bad down here ‘cause we didn’t transfer to tier 1. You wanna know the truth of it? The only guilds I know that transferred to tier 1 are the ones who, instead of getting good, went to get carried.

I know you all feel boss up there but let’s be honest it’s easy to feel pro in a place where your singular failings have next to no impact.

Gate of Madness

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

BG has quite few roamers. We would like to see more roamers join SoR and JQ. SoR has been producing more, but not enough!

You mean BG has quite a few havoc squads.

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Luiz Swordbreaker.6547

Luiz Swordbreaker.6547

Don’t know which server you guys are speaking for, but at least on JQ it’s been a while since I’ve seen a night with no queues.
Usually most maps have no queue till around 9 EST, by 10 EST we’ll usually have all 4 maps queued. (Yesterday night our map had a wait of 15-20 minutes)

[Scnd] Use Your Illusion

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Gully.7358

Gully.7358

If that is what you want to call 2-5 man groups, sure… Call it whatever you like!

Veretta • Guildleader of [oPP] Over Powered PeopleBlackgate
http://www.gw2opp.comhttp://www.youtube.com/user/oppveretta

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: BAITness.1083

BAITness.1083

I am tired of hearing how we’re all bad down here ‘cause we didn’t transfer to tier 1. You wanna know the truth of it? The only guilds I know that transferred to tier 1 are the ones who, instead of getting good, went to get carried.

I know you all feel boss up there but let’s be honest it’s easy to feel pro in a place where your singular failings have next to no impact.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this. You do not come to tier 1 to get carried, you will get smashed. You can’t take your guild on the field and expect to play against guilds the caliber of NS or TW and just get carried by your server. You cannot just make a huge group without a talented commander and good players and avoid getting brutally wiped. The only way to get carried in tier 1 is to not play in WvW.

If you do not want to come to tier 1, that is your choice and there are plenty of good reasons to make that choice. If you want a challenge, though, there is no better place to find it. You can log in at any time of day and play with like-minded people in huge fights against good players.

Hyade and his flamethrower

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

As for T1, I like that it is stacked. I’d just like to see more competition there. For example, I want to see the top 3 in their own league. I’d like the winner of that league to receive some great prizes and the loser to receive virtually nothing. That would be exciting and bring the competition out.

Regarding queues, I think the big unknown right now is how leagues will affect queues. They might increase if the matchup is close and the PvE achievement hunters decide to play or they might decrease if the matchups are bad.

As much as I agree with this, I think I want more “T1 servers” as much as 6 if possible. At this time everyone is calling out saying that everyone is jumping ship and joining T1 servers, those guilds will soon jump ship and join another. I am not very keen on politics of guilds and such but from just idle banter I hear on T1 VOIP most of the guilds that join up in T1 rarely does anything meaningful if anything it cause other guilds to leave.

Since everyone is just saying the only reason T1 servers are T1 servers is due to numbers, why not promote stacking of the T2 servers? I know it’s basically saying the opposite of everyone else, but why not? that is the only way to play “even” on the massive scale right. Ideally you want to join a BL and BE the person who cause the que, but there is no perfect system in place for that. In that sense a low que time is ideal. When every server can que their maps in a matchup, it boils down to their server cooperation and coordination to see which is better.

The mid tier servers is wrecked with shifting of 1-3 unbalanced servers who would move back and forth on tiers every week due to coverage/populations. But if you start filling up the upper tiers to a “peak” point you can have more even out matches instead of just having people migrate to a mid-lower tier server to cause some shifting for a few weeks.

Of course plenty of peopel will stand up and scream out server loyalty. Then stay if you are that loyal to your server. For me I rather have better fights.

[DONE]

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i’m not sure what’s the situation now but i used to be on blackgate (now on CD), and i’ll have to say that i moved because of the lag.

i used to not be able to do anything for more than a minute (during a heavy fight), not even able to respawn….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

styx.7294

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this. You do not come to tier 1 to get carried, you will get smashed. You can’t take your guild on the field and expect to play against guilds the caliber of NS or TW and just get carried by your server. You cannot just make a huge group without a talented commander and good players and avoid getting brutally wiped. The only way to get carried in tier 1 is to not play in WvW.

If you do not want to come to tier 1, that is your choice and there are plenty of good reasons to make that choice. If you want a challenge, though, there is no better place to find it. You can log in at any time of day and play with like-minded people in huge fights against good players.

Why would I compare myself against guilds that are trying to do different things other than joinin in strawman arguments? The point is I could just join up any of those guilds (probably not after this rant, hahaha) and quite frankly I’m sure they have awful people that just get carried when you run with 20+ groups. My point was I could transfer up there and join any of ’em or even run as a PUG with those good commanders and feel like a pro.

My chip has to do with being talked down to and about challenges. It’s obviously harder down here. Why do you think people leave? Do you really think people go to tier 1 because it’s hard and difficult? Tryin to build up a guild with lil’ or commandin with less is hard. Goin some place where it’s not gonna notice whether you showed up or not is much easier. Is any 60 man zerg gonna care if it’s 61? Nope but man oh man is the 61th person gonna feel like a boss and come home with lotsa loot.

Like, I don’t blame anyone for takin the easy way. That’s everyone’s choice to make.

Gate of Madness

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Doomdesire.9365

If that is what you want to call 2-5 man groups, sure… Call it whatever you like!

1-2 mans could be considered roaming for the sake of clarity. Anything above that should be considered a havoc squad up to 15 players, then it’s a zerg.

(edited by Doomdesire.9365)

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Asudementio.8526

Asudementio.8526

1-2 mans could be considered roaming for the sake of clarity. Anything above that should be considered a havoc squad.

If that is the case then T1 has almost no roamers; they are mostly all havoc squads.

Leader of [Suh]
My moves are fresh, like my groceries.
#TeamEvonforever

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Doomdesire.9365

1-2 mans could be considered roaming for the sake of clarity. Anything above that should be considered a havoc squad.

If that is the case then T1 has almost no roamers; they are mostly all havoc squads.

I don’t disagree.

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

Skill lag

As a T2 player who has been in quite a few T1 matchups, skill lag is bearable unless at least one server is moving in one blob with the entire map’s worth of players, in which case it quickly becomes silly. Sometimes this is inevitable (e.g. Stonemist, keep takes) and skill lag quickly reduces those supposedly epic encounters into an exercise in frustration. You basically run around and press 1, and sometimes even that has a delay.
Using lag to detect incoming enemy zergs is a thing.

Coverage

Main disparity is in the off-hours, obviously. The gap is incredibly huge and is the main reason why no T2 and below server can come close to T1 servers in score, even if they could pull off a formal 2v1. NA times feel fairly even between T2 and T1 servers though I don’t play those times much.

Skill

Very subjective, but T1 guilds are more experienced in large-scale open field combat compared to say T3 and it shows in general. Just an effect of the environment they play in, there are obviously exceptions and there are very good guilds not in T1 and maybe not so good ones in T1 but I’m speaking in general here.

Can’t speak for queues and such obviously. Objectively speaking there are many good things about playing in a T1 server, along with some drawbacks (most significantly skill lag and possible queue times, especially when leagues roll out). When leagues do start though most matchups will be a mix of T1/T2 servers, and in the current state all of those matchups are not going to be very close, so I do urge anyone still looking to transfer up to look at servers ranked 4 to 6 as well.

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

3. Roamers are generally bad, but have good builds. I feel like this is a big thing most servers ignore when talking kitten on T1 servers. T1 knows builds for W3. They will be tanky, they will try to res downed players, and worst of all are all they are 75% warriors and guardians. Be prepared for a lots of resets in battle as almost no T1 roamers will go down without at least trying to run and reset the fight.

I had to chuckle at reading this from an FA player.

The first time we fought you guys was one of those wtf rng matchups it was us, you and TC. We’d never fought either before that I can remember (or if we had it had been awhile).

TC despite having a huge number advantage over FA were all zerker specced and ran in one group and died by the truckload. It was like a rain of bags for almost no work. You could tell they were used to steamrolling with karma trains over outmatched foes and could almost sense the confusion when they ran into an equal sized group. So it was all “yay they’re all zerker zergers free loot! YAY!”

Then me and a few guildies broke off from our zerg and we ran into an equal number of FA and thought it would be the same so charged in heedlessly. It was all “OH GOD THEY’RE ALL PVT AND KNOW HOW TO PLAY! PULL UP! PULL UP!!!” Haha. And I’ve noticed that every time we’ve fought FA since, they can’t even come close in numbers or coverage but pound for pound they are the toughest server I’ve ever fought overall. So, yeah, /salute and all that.

But back to the topic at hand….skill lag in tier 1 is awful, there could be a zerg fighting somewhere in your general vicinity (yeah the above posters are right its usually the SoR zerg but not always) and you’ll find yourself wondering when/if your button presses will go off. If you’re playing a class that lives or dies depending on if you dodge at the right time it is inconvenient to say the least.

JQ queues are really dumb because when we’re losing to SoR / BG half the maps are outmanned. I’ve spent a lot of time in SoR border and seen five other JQ all night. On the other hand when we’re winning or fighting smaller serves every map is queued. Kinda gives you an idea of what t1 is all about.

Also tier 1 is probably the only tier where players dislike winning because it just means more fair weather transfers come in and you have a hard time even getting on the map to play. Not to say everyone who comes to tier 1 is just looking to zerg and be carried, but let’s be honest most are.

If you look at the matchups there are two other groupings of servers that should be really good mathcuhps with each other – Sea of Sorrows / Fort Aspenwood / Maguuma / Stormbluff Isle and Ehmry Bay / Yak’s Bend / Borlis Pass / Crystal Desert / Isle of Janthir. I would look at some of those servers if you want close competition and good fights. T1 maps feel very crowded.

Honestly the best fights I’ve had in terms of opposing player skill have been against Fort Aspenwood and Sea of Sorrows. Blackgate has some good roamers too but its rare I actually get to finish a fight against them without one zerg or another interrupting.

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Asudementio.8526

I had to chuckle at reading this from an FA player.

The first time we fought you guys was one of those wtf rng matchups it was us, you and TC. We’d never fought either before that I can remember (or if we had it had been awhile).

TC despite having a huge number advantage over FA were all zerker specced and ran in one group and died by the truckload. It was like a rain of bags for almost no work. You could tell they were used to steamrolling with karma trains over outmatched foes and could almost sense the confusion when they ran into an equal sized group. So it was all “yay they’re all zerker zergers free loot! YAY!”

Then me and a few guildies broke off from our zerg and we ran into an equal number of FA and thought it would be the same so charged in heedlessly. It was all “OH GOD THEY’RE ALL PVT AND KNOW HOW TO PLAY! PULL UP! PULL UP!!!” Haha. And I’ve noticed that every time we’ve fought FA since, they can’t even come close in numbers or coverage but pound for pound they are the toughest server I’ve ever fought overall. So, yeah, /salute and all that.

But back to the topic at hand….skill lag in tier 1 is awful, there could be a zerg fighting somewhere in your general vicinity (yeah the above posters are right its usually the SoR zerg but not always) and you’ll find yourself wondering when/if your button presses will go off. If you’re playing a class that lives or dies depending on if you dodge at the right time it is inconvenient to say the least.

JQ queues are really dumb because when we’re losing to SoR / BG half the maps are outmanned. I’ve spent a lot of time in SoR border and seen five other JQ all night. On the other hand when we’re winning or fighting smaller serves every map is queued. Kinda gives you an idea of what t1 is all about.

Also tier 1 is probably the only tier where players dislike winning because it just means more fair weather transfers come in and you have a hard time even getting on the map to play. Not to say everyone who comes to tier 1 is just looking to zerg and be carried, but let’s be honest most are.

If you look at the matchups there are two other groupings of servers that should be really good mathcuhps with each other – Sea of Sorrows / Fort Aspenwood / Maguuma / Stormbluff Isle and Ehmry Bay / Yak’s Bend / Borlis Pass / Crystal Desert / Isle of Janthir. I would look at some of those servers if you want close competition and good fights. T1 maps feel very crowded.

Honestly the best fights I’ve had in terms of opposing player skill have been against Fort Aspenwood and Sea of Sorrows. Blackgate has some good roamers too but its rare I actually get to finish a fight against them without one zerg or another interrupting.

Oh boo hoo, i feel for the tier 1 servers. It must be such a pain to have players continuously stream to you AS you keep mass-recruiting.

Leader of [Suh]
#TeamEvonforever

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Le Rooster.8715

Le Rooster.8715

I honestly don’t understand the contention of this thread, you like t1 great you don’t need to patronize people for enjoying smaller scale fights. You want to recruit to make t1 more balanced, newsflash with leagues coming you will only be able to fight each other at most 3/7 weeks the majority of the weeks you will still be curbe stomping t2 servers because the difference is so vast now.

Seriously Arenanet seriously needs to give them their own league or do Something that can help us compete against the t1 crap.

Roosters Inc-Team Shatter [TS] Commander
Sea of Sorrows http://www.gw2sos.com/index.php

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Le Rooster.8715

As much as I agree with this, I think I want more “T1 servers” as much as 6 if possible. At this time everyone is calling out saying that everyone is jumping ship and joining T1 servers, those guilds will soon jump ship and join another. I am not very keen on politics of guilds and such but from just idle banter I hear on T1 VOIP most of the guilds that join up in T1 rarely does anything meaningful if anything it cause other guilds to leave.

Since everyone is just saying the only reason T1 servers are T1 servers is due to numbers, why not promote stacking of the T2 servers? I know it’s basically saying the opposite of everyone else, but why not? that is the only way to play “even” on the massive scale right. Ideally you want to join a BL and BE the person who cause the que, but there is no perfect system in place for that. In that sense a low que time is ideal. When every server can que their maps in a matchup, it boils down to their server cooperation and coordination to see which is better.

The mid tier servers is wrecked with shifting of 1-3 unbalanced servers who would move back and forth on tiers every week due to coverage/populations. But if you start filling up the upper tiers to a “peak” point you can have more even out matches instead of just having people migrate to a mid-lower tier server to cause some shifting for a few weeks.

Of course plenty of peopel will stand up and scream out server loyalty. Then stay if you are that loyal to your server. For me I rather have better fights.

Because how do we t2 servers stand a chance against t1 servers, with gold transfers the t1 servers are monopolising the whole transfer flow, if i were leading a 50 man guild and wanted to go to gold league.
Would i
A. get all expenses paid for, not get absolutely stomped week in week out and be in a relatively stable server
or
B. pay 1800 gems, get stomped on by t1 servers, have the threat that the server could collapse any week due to guilds having enough of being stomped on.

you do the maths.

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Keiel.7489

Because how do we t2 servers stand a chance against t1 servers, with gold transfers the t1 servers are monopolising the whole transfer flow, if i were leading a 50 man guild and wanted to go to gold league.
Would i
A. get all expenses paid for, not get absolutely stomped week in week out and be in a relatively stable server
or
B. pay 1800 gems, get stomped on by t1 servers, have the threat that the server could collapse any week due to guilds having enough of being stomped on.

you do the maths.

I’ve returned to the game only a month or so ago so I’ve only heard of people “buying” guilds. From what I understand on my server (SoR) we, as far as the Guild Leaders that are on at my time (OCX/SEA, LATE NA) do not pay for any transfers, only recently there have been mention of us gathering gold if a guild is interested and we think we need them to help offsetting the cost. Most of my guildies pretty much say we rather spend the gold on helping our own guild than have a wild card guild.

I know a few days ago someone posted a link to BG’s charity page where they have gold donating contest for guild transfers. I’ve only heard of rumours of JQ and BG buying guilds, but I take the news with a grain of salt like anytime I heard about spies or pre-planned double teams. It’s possible, but not going to affect me any.

It’s nothing T2 servers can do really to get more players to join, not gold offer, not gem offers. you just appeal them to your server with community. After that it’s up to them weather they want to keep stacking a T1 server and play for 30min a day to get a chance for fame (not really). Or actually be on a server and build it up to the top. Many people seem to think they have t ostart at the bottom to do this but I don’t think so, it’s easier to fill the top than randomly fill the mid or bottom tier, even if it means filling one T2 server at a time.

Bottom tiers will suck, but I’d imagine those too will attract it’s own types of players (GvG/Roamers maybe?).

[DONE]

(edited by Keiel.7489)

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Asudementio.8526

Would i
or

you do the maths.

I’ve returned to the game only a month or so ago so I’ve only heard of people “buying” guilds. From what I understand on my server (SoR) we, as far as the Guild Leaders that are on at my time (OCX/SEA, LATE NA) do not pay for any transfers, only recently there have been mention of us gathering gold if a guild is interested and we think we need them to help offsetting the cost. Most of my guildies pretty much say we rather spend the gold on helping our own guild than have a wild card guild.

I know a few days ago someone posted a link to BG’s charity page where they have gold donating contest for guild transfers. I’ve only heard of rumours of JQ and BG buying guilds, but I take the news with a grain of salt like anytime I heard about spies or pre-planned double teams. It’s possible, but not going to affect me any.

It’s nothing T2 servers can do really to get more players to join, not gold offer, not gem offers. you just appeal them to your server with community. After that it’s up to them weather they want to keep stacking a T1 server and play for 30min a day to get a chance for fame (not really). Or actually be on a server and build it up to the top. Many people seem to think they have t ostart at the bottom to do this but I don’t think so, it’s easier to fill the top than randomly fill the mid or bottom tier, even if it means filling one T2 server at a time.

Bottom tiers will suck, but I’d imagine those too will attract it’s own types of players (GvG/Roamers maybe?).

So we have to bring the mercenary guilds to our servers with our community against a hedge of gold. Sounds legit.

Leader of [Suh]
#TeamEvonforever

(edited by Asudementio.8526)

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Keiel.7489

Would i
or

you do the maths.

So we have to bring the mercenary guilds to our servers with out community against a hedge of gold. Sounds legit.

If that’s all you got from that then yeah, just give up.

[DONE]

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Le Rooster.8715

[/quote]

So we have to bring the mercenary guilds to our servers with out community against a hedge of gold. Sounds legit.[/quote]

If that’s all you got from that then yeah, just give up.[/quote]

Look we recently bought in 2 decent sized NA guilds CNB+Rx where they were offerred full expenses paid by JQ, they would rather choose SoS because of our fantastic community. But! it’s hard competiting with BG+JQ getting guilds which quite frankly don’t really care about the community (if they did they really wouldn’t be leaving), they want to get fights in the gold league and to have your full expenses paid is much more appealing then not.

a month ago we actually had a interview with 6 guilds all wanting to transfer to SoS, but because we couldn’t even guarantee that we could raise even 2k gold to help with the transfer alot of those guilds went to BG and JQ full expenses paid aswell. (the majority on SoS want guilds to be fully committed to coming over like CNB and Rx are).

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I am glad you posted this. Having played in tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3, I can say the biggest difference is definitely our commanders. Our commanders are the best of the best.

It’s true that lower ranked servers don’t play as well with large numbers as higher ranked servers with large numbers. That’s because WvW is a different game outside of the top ranks. You cap towers without a zerg, you siege keeps without a zerg. The groups that cap supply camps in high tier servers are the size of the zergs in lower tier servers. You need to be far more self sufficient in lower tier servers. Individual actions will matter a lot more when you don’t have a massive zerg of people carrying supply or bashing down a door. Smallers guilds and invididuals matter a lot more in lower ranked gameplay and commanders don’t command giant zergs, they command small to moderate zergs that all have to carry their own weight. Giant zerg combat doesn’t matter as much in the lower ranks, it’s a different meta (one that I’ve seen giant zerg commanders that used to play in T1 suddenly fail at when they dropped to lower tiers). The zerg meta is dominant in T1 and to a lesser extent in T2, outside of that the zerg meta isn’t viable because there isn’t a consistently large enough group of people online to zerg all the time. You gotta be more self reliant and can’t rely on a zerg to get things done.

Giant zergs bashing into each other is about the only thing that top ranked servers can consistently provide that can’t be found as easily elsewhere.

I also disagree with the roamers in T1, you talk about lower ranked roamers picking on people built for zergs, that’s far more likely to happen in T1. Most people in T1 are bandwagoners and they moved their to zerg, not to roam. The thing T1 is most known for is the constant blobs bashing into each other. Most of the random people running around are doing so to join the commander on the map or to protect a dolyak/stop someone from contesting a WP, not because they are looking for a duel – it doesn’t surprise me that a roamer can kill a bunch of randoms that are not built for dueling.

On the lower ranked servers you’re far more likely to find players built for small team fights or 1v1 simply because quite often there is no allied zerg for them to join on the map. The only reason a T1 server could compete with this is simply because they have more people total.

It’s also a myth that there are consistently times when nothing happens in WvW outside of T1. The only time I see this is when a horrible match up happens and it’s a complete blowout to the point that an otherwise populated server is being spawn camped. The vast majority of the time there are healthy populations consistently on EB and there is almost always a fight to be found on an enemy borderland. Coverage differences aren’t as dramatic on lower ranked servers and even when a server has better coverage it’s usually nothing like the differences in T1.

The one thing that is almost exclusive to T1 servers than can’t be found in abundance anywhere else in the game is giant egos. The same egos that cause T1 guilds to abandon ship when their server looks like it might drop, the same egos that make T1 servers claim T1 is the best place to be or that lower ranked servers are just PvDoor.

tl;dr if you want giant blobs of people and everything that goes with that, go to T1. Everything else they say is just ignorance or a recruitment tactic to cannibalise other servers and continue the top heavy stacking that prevents them from having to transfer to remain in T1.

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

only one thing bro.

JQ dominates during Night time now. So in term of point and result will most likely go in JQ favor.

JQ has been dominating for 1year ++ now , Not because of number but because of the core player base of whom are 99% MMO veterans.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Asudementio.8526

Would i
or

you do the maths.

So we have to bring the mercenary guilds to our servers with out community against a hedge of gold. Sounds legit.

If that’s all you got from that then yeah, just give up.

Note how i specified mercenary guilds.

Leader of [Suh]
#TeamEvonforever

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Asudementio.8526

So we have to bring the mercenary guilds to our servers with out community against a hedge of gold. Sounds legit.[/quote]

If that’s all you got from that then yeah, just give up.[/quote]

Look we recently bought in 2 decent sized NA guilds CNB+Rx where they were offerred full expenses paid by JQ, they would rather choose SoS because of our fantastic community. But! it’s hard competiting with BG+JQ getting guilds which quite frankly don’t really care about the community (if they did they really wouldn’t be leaving), they want to get fights in the gold league and to have your full expenses paid is much more appealing then not.

a month ago we actually had a interview with 6 guilds all wanting to transfer to SoS, but because we couldn’t even guarantee that we could raise even 2k gold to help with the transfer alot of those guilds went to BG and JQ full expenses paid aswell. (the majority on SoS want guilds to be fully committed to coming over like CNB and Rx are).[/quote]

Pretty much this, It is just stupid to me how bloated T1 is and how they perpetuate this idea that it doesn’t affect their recruiting efforts positively.

Leader of [Suh]
#TeamEvonforever

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Keiel.7489

clip

I disagree, I played on lower tiered servers before going to SoR with a few of my friends. Lower tier servers don’t “zerg” because they can’t, they don’t have it around the clock to do so around the clock, but when the situation presents itself that is what it does. I would agree that the smaller guilds run around with their commander is valid except for the bickering that goes on and on ehter in map chat or voip about where they should consolidate their forces, basically aside from a few examples lower tier servers don’t mass up because they don’t cooperate not because they don’t want too.

I’ve experienced it first hand when a full size zerg run us over, we got together into our massive blob and the nget run over again. I doubt you’ve played T1 for any amount of time if you think every time we take a camp we take the whole server with us. I can’t speak for all of NA but generally speaking we run in split groups, we’ll form up to take bigger targets that is being well guarded (Keeps and such). We might run together after a while, but we are comfortable running in splintered groups or a singular blob. You may think you have some semblance skill over the T1 commanders, but given small even forces I garuntee top tier commanders will run circles around the lower tiered commanders.

I don’t speak on roamers skill level, but I’d imagine a roamer who tends to run into larger groups more often develope faster reaction time either to snipe and get away or full on take a group.

[DONE]

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: gwfanboy.2496

gwfanboy.2496

For the roaming, I started and played for months on T1. It is too zergy with few roamers.

You spend the majority of the time running from zergs or getting rolled by them when you run into the occasional roamer. Don’t believe me? Roll there and see how ‘fun’ it is.

Necromancer, Devonas Rest Are My Harlots [PIMP]

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Gully.7358

Gully.7358

I don’t disagree.

This is true, we do fight 15+ groups most of the day… Specially when fighting for nodes. But we’ve been seeing a few more roamers show up but the groups can still be counted on 1 hand : \

I really wish it was more….

Veretta • Guildleader of [oPP] Over Powered PeopleBlackgate
http://www.gw2opp.comhttp://www.youtube.com/user/oppveretta

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Like you said for yourself. You didn’t transfer to T1 so I don’t expect you understand the difference between tiers anyway. But I’ve played lower tiers for a very long time. Since release up until about a couple months ago, and I can genuinely say that the WvW experience is so much richer in T1 compared to any tier below. Everything from roaming, 1v1’s, havoc squads, commanders, zergs, community, etc. It’s all better in T1. Keep in mind this is all personal experience and not “the truth” as you put it so humbly.

I know you feel boss down their in your lower tier, but hey, feel free to add me in-game and if our servers ever get matched up we can check and see just how singular failings really turn out.

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

My only question is if there are no queues on the maps where did all these players go from the countless guilds that have gone there? That’s the only thing that’s odd. And be honest, T1 servers have absorbed more guilds than any other servers out there. You guys should have eight hour queues by now … At all hours.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Diehard.1432

Diehard.1432

You guys should have eight hour queues by now … At all hours.

I’d be the 1st one to transfer out if that happens.

Garuda X, lvl 80 human Siamoth Ranger JQ SEA
[VaL]

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Well wait till all the pve crowds flood the map for achievement completion…..

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Tier 1 servers

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

My only question is if there are no queues on the maps where did all these players go from the countless guilds that have gone there? That’s the only thing that’s odd. And be honest, T1 servers have absorbed more guilds than any other servers out there. You guys should have eight hour queues by now … At all hours.

Gone from the game now I guess.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro