Time to face it: WvW designers.

in WvW

Posted by: rekina.6078

rekina.6078

First of all, I’d like to thank for all hard works that you have done towards WvW, Anet WvW designers(and whoever involved). I am not going to mention those games again that people like to bring up on this forum, but I really missed field pvp where we encounters tons of unexpected situations, not set up pvp where every happening in there can be expected. Those set up pvp was so boring, I assume many of you who played those field pvp focused mmo would agree to this.

So again, I really appreciate for your work and bringing field pvp back to us, and I totally don’t appreciate it.

I don’t want to discourage you. I seriously don’t. All those people who are kittening(yes, I wrote this by myself before even getting filtered) about WvW also don’t want to discourage you becuase a) you brought field pvp back to us and b) you guys are awesome. We know that.

However, a lot of misconceptions are going on, and it’s about the time you WvW designers show up and talk with us what and how to fix things. There are tons of suggestions on this forum, but I don’t think those are something you can really rely on because people think different. What you have to do instead, I believe, is that you guys make a thread and seriously, talk with people. If you have an idea, show them to us. If you don’t agree some suggestions which people brought in, tell us why you don’t agree. If you have no idea what the heck is going on and completely empty, discuss with us. We might be wrong because we are not professional game designers. You obviously know much more about what you are doing than us. Nevertheless you can ‘get’ some ideas from our stupid, one-way and biased suggestions. You might get the big picture of what to fix and how to improve.

I will flip my original point over here. I appreciate for your work. We love WvW. We would like to love it. We have no alternative option if WvW fails. Help us.

in WvW

Posted by: Vexus.5423

Vexus.5423

Unfortunately the ‘suggestions’ here are way off scope. The current WvW is amazing, new, dynamic, and difficult. After a month, we have some people complaining they miss a grind. They want a carrot in front of them. They want changes so they feel better. This is just the withdrawal people experience when moving on from a game that holds a carrot above your head. When you stop and look at it, the current WvW is amazing and with some minor tweaks will be even more so.

Ask yourself, is it fun to grind constantly for gear, only to have that progress wiped with the next patch? Is it fun to be 20% more powerful than your friend because you played longer? If it is, MoP is released, enjoy. If fun for you is playing with your friends and relying on their individual skill, not gear, to pave the way for success, then this is as good as it gets for an MMO to date.

in WvW

Posted by: Kazim.2043

Kazim.2043

WvW is a lot of fun as it is, however it needs some improvements. Things that comes to my mind

1. Fix hacks, ban hackers mercilessly
2. Fix Orb/Outmanned bonuses to encourage loosing server continue to fight
3. Reduce the effect of night capping
4. Reduce PvE/mining/puzzle gains to make room for PvPers on WvW
5. Stop server-hopping through free transfers
6. Fix the ranking system so that servers don’t move up/down too fast and face opponents which are too weak/strong.
7. Fix rendering problems.
8. Fix bugs like “permanently invulnerable Keep Lord after Orb remove”.
9. Fix loot, so that we don’t have to collect loot in the middle of a bloody fight.

Izuvac.5713 “…like imagine 2 taliban server against 1 american…”

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

“3. Reduce the effect of night capping”
Agreed. If one team has less than 20 players, all walls and gates should be 2x harder to kill at the least. If you control half the map, go to sleep, and wake up to having none of it, you’re not going to play that map anymore. I think out-numbering shouldn’t even be allowed.

As for PVE puzzles (4), that is one of the biggest griefing parts of the game. Preventing the other team from getting free siege and badges is actually helping your team.

Re: 9. I’m pretty sure everyone wants to auto-loot badges. There’s nothing worse than being dead beside a loot bag you can never get back to.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: poe lyfe.5879

poe lyfe.5879

im offering a different perspective. i like the idea of wvw. but as it is it is totally broken imo. i played gw 1 fa and jq to death. these arent true pvp but neither is wvw. so the points ill be making are perfectly relevant.

every time ive played wvw. ive been at the home base with an army outside of it. i die a couple of times and give up because one team always seems to be dominating. i have a solution though an elegant and simple one.

in jq and fa of gw1. the npcs were easy to defeat. the players were the ones you had to watch for. in wvw npcs will rip a solo player apart without deft kitings and dodging. im not that deft and i wouldnt play a game where i had to be anyway against a computer. computer players should represnt little more than a stepping stone. humans are the ones you want to fight npcs are just fluff so make them that way.

humanless bases should be easy pickings. even for just 4=5 players. seige towers should be build around every base that can be captured by a small group easily and not cost a thing just the time it takes to kill the npcs. which could then be turned from defending to seiging the forts. this encourages smaller skirmishes and not a huge mob steam rolling a smaller one.if a huge army is camped outside your base send 20 people 4 different forts to force the huge mob to separate. forcing players to pay for seige equipment is fine but and should be much more effective than my suggested towers. but forcing a dependence on buying everything is poor planning. not everyone wants to spend money to help out the team. because there isnt much of a reason too unless youre with 20 friends. give a free alternative and when im capturing the towers let the enemy know im there. it will encourage a lot more back and forth as well which would be much more fun than the current wait till we outnumber them mentality. the map is large enough that gaurding a base would be dull and encourage offensive play more than hold the fort gather supply. supply is too hard to make useful unless a team effort is made.

my suggestion would dumb things down a bit and empower smaller team play ill admit. but massive pvp battles arent fun if thats all youre playing and youre always outnumbered. at least if solo players are a little annoying on their own against a fort it would make things at least a little more interesting imo. by all means make the center fort require a massive seige. but we need to have little teams and solo effective too. you can take out exp rewards or minimize it to a point it doesnt matter for the fodder npcs. they arent there to be farmed. theyre there to give more time to the fort owners that that area is under attack and they better send someone to deal with it. as it stands now too many people are required and base trapping is the results. stop the base trapping i promise what ive said will do it.

Wintersday is for the Charr, also Meatober.

in WvW

katniss.6735

I can solo every npc as an elementalist. They are not too hard. You should not be able to solo an entire supply camp, but it shouldn’t be impossible. It isn’t impossible. The only mobs that are truly annoying to kill are the kraits underwater. Sometimes 4+ will attack you underwater, then one of them will glitch invulnerable. It never fails.

It costs lots of money to upgrade keeps, camps, and towers. I don’t think making it easier to take them from people should happen.

There are wonderful siege available for breaking apart zergs from inside your bases. Use them wisely, and with friends.

I think it would help to be able to track the enemy’s dots on the map somehow. Perhaps give that to an out-manned team. Mini-map max-range only.

Please make waypoints available in every base, and purchasable with badges. Something like that. Maybe not every base. All the zone running is probably the biggest flaw in WvW, outside of outnumbered.

I think you should be able to steal supply from killing an enemy’s dolyak. That would be fun.

twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: RamzaBehoulve.5640

RamzaBehoulve.5640

Don’t show the total scores until the final 24h, motivations problems solved, at least for the week.

in WvW

Posted by: Kwai.9405

Kwai.9405

I think the mechanics are actually pretty nice and everybody is still learning as well, adopting and improving.

I think its a bit early to come up with fundamental change suggestions. If I look at some at the suggestion above its honestly more a matter of exploring different approaches to a problem. For instance if Poe Lyfe stays at his base being farmed by a zerg all the time he missed looking at the map which would reveal a route out back of the starting zone. You can mostly easy avoid the zerg if you move fast. We mostly run with 1 or 2 groups and keep circling the map taking supply camps, sentries, doing the pve events etc. If we got 12 people (enough for 3 rams) we can snatch towers, holding them for any longer though is a different story :P

As for the costs, yes I found it a bit harsh in the lower levels, now I frankly don’t care. Lots of blueprints available doesn’t mean you have lots of sieges up. Still needs a team to use them appropriately.

The only thing I sometimes wish would be possible is that I could deposit my supplies in a keep/tower instead of having to use it to deploy sieges or do repairs but that again might be just my frustration from not being able to secure the dolyak routes or supply camps for that matter :P

The Tainted [TNTD] – Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Natural.7013

Natural.7013

Fix hacks. Fix orb, treb exploits. Fix the scoring system to where it has a chance to be competitive all week. I predict if these things are going on by xmas, no one will have to worry about waiting in a Q.

in WvW

katniss.6735

When a team has a high rank, then is pitted with a similar ranked team that has a higher population (in pvp); that’s when it goes down the kitten-er.

twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: HulkaGem.2568

HulkaGem.2568

its not the designer tat need to face it.. ppl who cant accept tat Wv3 is a 24/7 format are the 1 whinning abt imbalance n change..

Mjdeathless – Necromancer
Kopiousiudai – Thief
Canadian Pizza – Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

Raze it to the ground and build it back up from scratch.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Preacher.9018

Preacher.9018

Yeah. Some good post that is not summed up to “let them eat cakes” from people responsible, about plans for WvW and understanding of current situations and problems would be nice.

http://www.pevepe.net/ – Seafarers Rest Server community website

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I want what 150 people accomplish during the day to matter compared to what 20 people achieve at night.

in WvW

Posted by: gentlegerbil.1579

gentlegerbil.1579

I have to strongly agree with night capping. I think it is a misinterpretation of what the WvW is trying to convey. We are currently playing a team that has a strong player base over seas… every day when we get on, we take back 50%-80% of our world back from them and every night when we go to sleep we lose 90% of it all over again.

You can guess who has the higher score (they do)… but who’s the stronger team when matched equally?

This is poor score representation.

Gaming since 1992.

in WvW

Posted by: Parthis.2091

Parthis.2091

I have to strongly agree with night capping. I think it is a misinterpretation of what the WvW is trying to convey. We are currently playing a team that has a strong player base over seas… every day when we get on, we take back 50%-80% of our world back from them and every night when we go to sleep we lose 90% of it all over again.

You can guess who has the higher score (they do)… but who’s the stronger team when matched equally?

Just so everyone’s clear about this; during the day you cap almost everything, and over night they cap almost everything… or put another way, during their night you cap everything.

While I agree population imbalances needs to be addressed, and outnumbered teams need help, what you’re ultimately complaining about is the game purely from your perspective.

Commander Amayasu Gerani, Guardian.
Leader of [JDGE] on Gandara EU.
A GW2 API for Objective-C – http://tinyurl.com/durmandpriory

in WvW

gentlegerbil.1579

…The only thing I sometimes wish would be possible is that I could deposit my supplies in a keep/tower instead of having to use it to deploy sieges or do repairs…

Our guild actually had a discussion about that. Would definately add an interesting dynamic to be able to run supplies to towers. You may argue this would imbalance teh purpose of the dolyaks, but if you tie up 20 people on a server running supplies from supply camps, I believe that will have a negative effect on it’s own

I think the possibility of having people deposit supplies in their own tower would certainly be worth a test

Gaming since 1992.

in WvW

Preacher.9018

Just so everyone’s clear about this; during the day you cap almost everything, and over night they cap almost everything… or put another way, during their night you cap everything.

While I agree population imbalances needs to be addressed, and outnumbered teams need help, what you’re ultimately complaining about is the game purely from your perspective.

You obviously did not include EU (which by the way have more servers/players than NA) into your logic.

in WvW

gentlegerbil.1579

Nope, not during their night…. they have no night. From what I understand, they have a fairly strong presence in Europe and Asia. The “skill” was the opint I was referring to. Having a strong overseas team is great and they should not be penalized for it….. however, it’s obvious to most people where the skill lays but the opint system doesn’t reflect this.

During our day, both sides are queued up and full…. but they lose a great deal of land. One night we stayed up late to hold a tower and easily defended it against an “inferior” team…. they only cap when our server is near empty……

What I’m suggesting is a “balance” to simply make night capping more difficult. Perhaps capping times that are much slower when server populations are down.

If not, then the scoring system needs to be addressed to more accurately describe what a “winning” server is? Because winning to me is fighting and earning it… not stealing it.

Gaming since 1992.

in WvW

Preacher.9018

Lets not turn it into another night capping topic. There are a lot more issues beside that.

Back to point of the topic -need some communication from Arena site regarding the situation and future plans for WvW.

Yeah, and not something like this: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-ferguson-on-the-current-state-of-the-world-vs-world/ which was an insult in the face of community.

in WvW

gentlegerbil.1579

Lets not turn it into another night capping topic. There are a lot more issues beside that.

Back to point of the topic -need some communication from Arena site regarding the situation and future plans for WvW.

You seem to be taking this point rather personally….. perhaps you’re from a night capping server? lol.

But you speak a valid point. I will move this discussion to another thread that’s more on topic.

Gaming since 1992.

in WvW

Posted by: Jacky Nipper.3846

Jacky Nipper.3846

You are quite not getting him, he just said with equal numbers they are better than enemies but there is still huge gap between them in favor for the weaker team (in equal numbers), because the actual system is rewarding capping noncontested objectives the same way as contested ones, so some ppl just decide not to fight during peak hours, let the zergs play their game while all they achieve is done during time when they face no opposition. (I dont get how much fun is that for them, but w/e)
Using the term “night capping” is incorrect here he meant noncontested capping.

Jacky Nipper – Necro Raiders [NR]
Aurora Glade

in WvW

Posted by: Narcosis.3812

Narcosis.3812

A small issue, but why not make it so you can capture siege weapons? In real war you don’t just leave artillery around for the enemy to have. On the flip side, you would also provide a way to destroy your own siege weaponry…..or even more devious, booby trap it

Duplicitous, Free Kitty Riot, Robalai Bleeds, Narcotic Reign [TWL] Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Parthis.2091

Parthis.2091

You obviously did not include EU (which by the way have more servers/players than NA) into your logic.

I play on Desolation.

Commander Amayasu Gerani, Guardian.
Leader of [JDGE] on Gandara EU.
A GW2 API for Objective-C – http://tinyurl.com/durmandpriory