Tired of Playing Hide & Seek with Mesmers

in WvW

Posted by: Woozified.7058

Woozified.7058

Currently, due to their recent buff, it’s very easy to hide mesmers in keeps, and even towers. The invisibility lasts for a very long time, and when it ends, mesmers can quickly go invisible again.

A counter argument may be to sweep or use stealth disruption traps, but sweeping takes a very long time, especially if the mesmer is good at hiding. Also stealth disruption traps require supply to use. And this is all just to catch >1< mesmer.

I hope Anet is looking into ways to address this, because I’m really sick of playing hide and seek with mesmers.

Edit (TL;DR): A class that forces 5+ players to stay behind for at least 3-4 minutes to play hide and seek to POSSIBLY find the 1 enemy player, or forces others to play a specific class to counter them is pretty imbalanced, don’t you think?

(edited by Woozified.7058)

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

1.) Get an engineer
2.) Take flamethrower/grenades/mortar
3.) Take the trait Lock On
4.) Enjoy your Great Hunt!

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in WvW

Posted by: Jay.7546

Jay.7546

Yeah I agree it gets boring. We have a great mesmer on FA that can port us into SMC upper deck from the outside. It’s great in that case but finding them is tiring as you said.

Maybe Anet changes duration of stealth while in a keep or smc. They came up with the 5 minute clock so a mes could not stay dead for an hour while a perma stealth thief runs around waiting for everyone to leave.

in WvW

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

Lol I love how it’s been barely even a day since the last thread with the exact same topic ended yet there’s already another one of these back up.

Has stealth increased? Sure it has, and it’s made things a little bit easier for some of the less experienced mesmers to get away with hiding, but that’s not the only problem. A sad fact is that so few people have made an effort to learn and understand mesmers and their portals in WvW that many know next to nothing, giving the Mesmer an almost instant win for steal thing sometimes because they just don’t know what to do lol. After all this time people still don’t know even half of the tricks, they still don’t know a lot of the hiding spots, and they still don’t know the signs to look for. The average player just does not know these things because they’ve never taken the time to learn them or had someone to teach them and so they are almost useless at sweeping because they have absolutely no idea where to go lol. Until people understand the mechanic, their just going to continue to fail lol.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

I’m actually impressed when I find a talented mesmer. We had one in NWT last night from Viz and he was really really good.

Sadly, we were better.

And took the time to find him.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

I’m actually impressed when I find a talented mesmer. We had one in NWT last night from Viz and he was really really good.

Sadly, we were better.

And took the time to find him.

That’s what is missing in WvW. There’s no sense of owning anything, because there’s only a few instances where an object you flip remains in your control when you log in the next day. If something does stay in your control then you’ve got more coverage and you will win anyway.

Flip a keep/tower, take supply, don’t upgrade, don’t look for mesmers, moving out in ten seconds to the next camp/tower/keep. It’s getting closer and closer to EotM.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Currently, due to their recent buff, it’s very easy to hide mesmers in keeps, and even towers. The invisibility lasts for a very long time, and when it ends, mesmers can quickly go invisible again.

A counter argument may be to sweep or use stealth disruption traps, but sweeping takes a very long time, especially if the mesmer is good at hiding. Also stealth disruption traps require supply to use. And this is all just to catch >1< mesmer.

I hope Anet is looking into ways to address this, because I’m really sick of playing hide and seek with mesmers.

It wouldn’t be THAT bad if mesmers were uncommon. Sadly they are a plague now in WvW.

You know something is wrong when you need so many ppl to get one person that you can’t ignore.

in WvW

Posted by: Ash.5034

Ash.5034

I am a mesmer.

I enjoy chasing down the the opposition in keep etc.

I disagree it is a major problem in WvW.

The big groups move on and don’t check.

Because they can’t be bothered – not a balance issue.

in WvW

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I am a mesmer.

I lost count of how many times 20+ ppl had to take more than 15 min to finally get mesmers out of a keep or SM and many involved were definitely not idiots or bad players. It’s simply too easy for a good mesmer to escape with the tool he has and it is annoying as kitten.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I am a mesmer.

I lost count of how many times 20+ ppl had to take more than 15 min to finally get mesmers out of a keep or SM and many involved were definitely not idiots or bad players. It’s simply too easy for a good mesmer to escape with the tool he has and it is annoying as kitten.

Wow. We only usually have five max who stay behind in any structure — and we find them.

You do know that any channeling skill will keep hitting them even if they stealth right?

in WvW

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

I am a mesmer.

Lol that’s a tad bit sad. Whenever the guild I’m in participates in a take of a tower or keep for towers we have one of our mesmers go around and sweep for any dropped portals while the Zerg moves on and for keeps we typically have around 2-4 stay and do a full sweep then wipe out any Mesmer we find inside. We can almost always do this within the time RI is up so I see no reason why a zerg shouldn’t be able to in less lol. A major reason zergs spend so much time on mesmers in my opinion is a lack of info. The average player doesn’t know even the most basic of spots and in Zerg mentality just run around with the group waiting for a target to be called so they can shoot at it. It’s not that their bad players just that they fail to understand the mechanic. As a portal Mesmer myself I’ve literally just stealthed and turned around and walked right pas the group chasing me bc they just assume you’ll keep walking forward lol, people just need to learn how portal Mesmer works then they can stop it easy.

(edited by Moonlit.6421)

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Don’t know what to tell you. We don’t have these problems.

What server are you on. If we are matched, be glad to play hide to help train.

Like the poster above suggested, sometimes it’s just a learning process. If I’m struggling with a particular class in WvW, I make that class and learn its strengths and weaknesses.

in WvW

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Most of the time a few of us will get the mesmers relatively easily. The problem arise when you inevitably have to deal with several good mesmers who know the map and their trade. Between the abundant and long stealth, invul, the 24 sec 1200 range blink, the blind and aegis it can be extremely frustrating to finish some of these pests.

That being said, it is not the mesmer in itself that is the problem IMHO but stealth as a whole in WvW. I still didn’t figure why, oh why, they felt it was a good idea to increase stealth presence instead of giving something else to compensate.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Easiest way to get a mesmer is use another mesmer to moa him. A good mesmer will also know all the hiding spots to check.

Or count to 60 and that’s when all mesmer stealth skills time out.

It’s not impossible, and I actually cheer on map when we encounter a good mesmer — there’s a massive difference between the ones that spam skills and actually know their class. I’m not sure it’s fair to penalize someone who’s honed and learned his craft though? I laud it.

But they still die in our searches, lol.

P.S. you still didn’t say your server. The offer stands though if you’re in EU.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Easiest way to get a mesmer is use another mesmer to moa him. A good mesmer will also know all the hiding spots to check.

Or count to 60 and that’s when all mesmer stealth skills time out.

It’s not impossible, and I actually cheer on map when we encounter a good mesmer — there’s a massive difference between the ones that spam skills and actually know their class. I’m not sure it’s fair to penalize someone who’s honed and learned his craft though? I laud it.

But they still die in our searches, lol.

P.S. you still didn’t say your server. The offer stands though if you’re in EU.

Oh, yeah, sorry. I’m or SoR.

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Only thing that needs adjusting is the torch trait, rewards stealth camping massively and under performs in almost every aspect outside of that.

Another thing people are forgetting is 2 classes are getting AoE reveal in HoT so sweeping will be a lot easier too, especially when one of those classes is actually the most common class in WvW, just about.

in WvW

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

I am a mesmer.

It’s shocking that a Mesmer doesn’t agree with this thread, absolutely shocking.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I am a mesmer.

Its a problem when a group has to spend 15 mins sweeping as my guild does when on raids.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Woozified.7058

1.) Get an engineer
2.) Take flamethrower/grenades/mortar
3.) Take the trait Lock On
4.) Enjoy your Great Hunt!

I don’t think someone needs to play a specific class for an evening just to counter one mesmer’s stealth.

in WvW

Woozified.7058

Lol I love how it’s been barely even a day since the last thread with the exact same topic ended yet there’s already another one of these back up.

Has stealth increased? Sure it has, and it’s made things a little bit easier for some of the less experienced mesmers to get away with hiding, but that’s not the only problem. A sad fact is that so few people have made an effort to learn and understand mesmers and their portals in WvW that many know next to nothing, giving the Mesmer an almost instant win for steal thing sometimes because they just don’t know what to do lol. After all this time people still don’t know even half of the tricks, they still don’t know a lot of the hiding spots, and they still don’t know the signs to look for. The average player just does not know these things because they’ve never taken the time to learn them or had someone to teach them and so they are almost useless at sweeping because they have absolutely no idea where to go lol. Until people understand the mechanic, their just going to continue to fail lol.

A zerg should not have to spend 2 minute or more just to find 1 mesmer. The thing is after you find the mesmer, they can go invisible again, move somewhere else, and then either come back or go hide somewhere else. For example, a common place to hide in Garri is behind the Mystic Forge. However, if you find them, they can go invisible and hide on the 3rd floor. If you find them again, they can move outside and hide in the crevasses in the wall. They can also hide behind supply spots. There’s tons of places to hide in hills too. It doesn’t make sense that one mesmer can pull so much time from a zerg. Also, I have a lvl 80 mesmer.

in WvW

Woozified.7058

I am a mesmer.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but for me, as well as many people, what brings people to play the Borderlands, as opposed to EoTM, is that there would be large scale fights in the BLs. Not to play hide and seek with a mesmer, and see which server can hide the better mesmer.

in WvW

Woozified.7058

I am a mesmer.

Wow. We only usually have five max who stay behind in any structure — and we find them.

You do know that any channeling skill will keep hitting them even if they stealth right?

Yeah our server currently does that too, but it’s kind of silly that 5 players need to stay put to take care of 1 mesmer playing hide and seek. And what’s frustrating is when you find them, they can just blink away and go invisible right away. Maybe mesmers need a longer “revealed” trait, so they can’t chain invisibility?

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I am a mesmer.

Yeah our server currently does that too, but it’s kind of silly that 5 players need to stay put to take care of 1 mesmer playing hide and seek. And what’s frustrating is when you find them, they can just blink away and go invisible right away. Maybe mesmers need a longer “revealed” trait, so they can’t chain invisibility?

Have you played a mesmer to 80, and frequently? Might be time invested if it’s causing this much angst.

They are stoppable.

in WvW

Woozified.7058

I am a mesmer.

Have you played a mesmer to 80, and frequently? Might be time invested if it’s causing this much angst.

They are stoppable.

Yes I have a mesmer that is level 80 and I know their tricks and combos. It’s definitely stoppable, but being stoppable does not mean it’s balanced.

Also great use of passive aggressive smileys (throughout this thread in fact). Here’s one back.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

seek. Unless you think hide and seek is just part of the game, then more power to you.

oh the many times I’ve sat actually revealed while the mass blob does that ktrain choo choo and doesn’t even look, just trods on out, is delightful.

Bottom line if you don’t want to do it, then dont. But don’t complain a class is too OP because you’re too lazy to search. …. It’s too hard, sniffles.

If we can do it with a group of five, and stomp them, so can you! I have faith.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I am a mesmer.

They are stoppable.

Yes I have a mesmer that is level 80 and I know their tricks and combos. It’s definitely stoppable, but being stoppable does not mean it’s balanced.

Also great use of passive aggressive smileys (throughout this thread in fact). Here’s one back.

Lol, I’m not PA, just friendly.

in WvW

Woozified.7058

I am a mesmer.

They are stoppable.

Oh you’re definitely being very PA. And you’re definitely very sensitive with this mesmer issue. But keep deluding yourself.

A class that forces 5+ players to stay behind for 3-4 minutes to play hide and seek to POSSIBLY find the 1 enemy player, or forces others to play a specific class to counter them is pretty imbalanced, don’t you think?

Probably not, but then again, you think you’re not PA so you clearly don’t face the facts.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I am a mesmer.

They are stoppable.

Does sound like you need to play it a bit more then.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I am a mesmer.

They are stoppable.

Oh you’re definitely being very PA. And you’re definitely very sensitive with this mesmer issue. But keep deluding yourself. Also, a class that forces 5 players to stay behind to play hide and seek, or forces a player to play a specific class to counter them is pretty imbalanced, don’t you think?

Probably not, but then again, you think you’re not PA so you clearly don’t face the facts.

Lol you’re the getting snotty, not me. Personal attacks are a signal for a losing argument, lol.

I’ve said if blobbing is your thing, go for it, don’t sweep.

But don’t rag when you’re too lazy to sweep and lose a keep.

Seems like win-win to me.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Woozified.7058

seek. Unless you think hide and seek is just part of the game, then more power to you.

oh the many times I’ve sat actually revealed while the mass blob does that ktrain choo choo and doesn’t even look, just trods on out, is delightful.

Bottom line if you don’t want to do it, then dont. But don’t complain a class is too OP because you’re too lazy to search. …. it’s too hard, sniffles.

Once again, you’re delusional if you think you’re not PA.

Anyways, if you’re going to resort to talking down to others that agree with me in this thread (eg. Julie) and bully others to make your point, here’s a bit of your own medicine.

in WvW

Woozified.7058

I am a mesmer.

They are stoppable.

Oh you’re definitely being very PA. And you’re definitely very sensitive with this mesmer issue. But keep deluding yourself. Also, a class that forces 5 players to stay behind to play hide and seek, or forces a player to play a specific class to counter them is pretty imbalanced, don’t you think?

Lol you’re the getting snotty, not me. Personal attacks are a signal for a losing argument, lol.

Nah, you’re just talking down to everyone. Unless you can address the following, this is my last post to you since it’s detracting from the topic -

“A class that forces 5+ players to stay behind for 3-4 minutes to play hide and seek to POSSIBLY find the 1 enemy player, or forces others to play a specific class to counter them is pretty imbalanced, don’t you think?”

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Bottom line if you don’t want to do it, then dont. But don’t complain a class is too OP because you’re too lazy to search. …. it’s too hard, sniffles.

Once again, you’re delusional if you think you’re not PA.

Anyways, if you’re going to resort to talking down to others that agree with me in this thread (eg. Julie) and bully others to make your point, here’s a bit of your own medicine.

Lol where did I do that?

Goodness you are being a bit over sensitive.

Do you die to memser a lot?

Oh! Is it because I used her way of getting around the forum swear filter as a response? Lol, too funny.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Its not about being lazy its about annoying gameplay spent on busywork.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I am a mesmer.

They are stoppable.

Nah, you’re just talking down to everyone. Unless you can address the following, this is my last post to you since it’s detracting from the topic -

“A class that forces 5+ players to stay behind for 3-4 minutes to play hide and seek to POSSIBLY find the 1 enemy player, or forces others to play a specific class to counter them is pretty imbalanced, don’t you think?”

Can’t even flip the lord in 3-4 minutes with righteous indignation. And if you are struggling finding a mesmer in 3-4 minutes, that’s a learning process.

If you like to blob, go blob. If you don’t care to sweep, let it get flipped. Key is choice — and deciding what’s important for you in game. Don’t dictate where others find enjoyment.

you should probably avoid personal attacks. Makes your argument weak. You, too.

in WvW

Woozified.7058

I am a mesmer.

They are stoppable.

Can’t even flip the lord in 3-4 minutes with righteous indignation. And if you are struggling finding a mesmer in 3-4 minutes, that’s a learning process.

If you like to blob, go blob. If you don’t care to sweep, let it get flipped. Key is choice — and deciding what’s important for you in game. Don’t dictate where others find enjoyment.

you should probably avoid personal attacks. Makes your argument weak. You, too.

Sorry if I touched a personal nerve calling you passive aggressive, but if you look at your earlier posts to others, including myself, in this thread, as well as other thread, you have a serious problem with talking down to others and belittling them to win your argument. To me, that’s not okay. If you don’t like it, don’t do it to other people. But that’s for yourself and does not add to this topic.

I’m not sure what you mean by “can’t flip a lord in 3-4 minutes”. Are you saying the group of 5 needs to stay for at least 5 minutes to find that mesmer?

Anyways, the key is, do you think it’s balanced that a single mesmer requires 5 people to have a chance to take it down? Or requires a specific class to counter? If you do, then you can just say so. However, realize that to many people, that is considered anti-fun, possibly even toxic, for the gameplay of others. Once again, it may be enjoyment for the hider, but not for the seekers. Please stop changing the topic.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Dear me. Read your own words. You said 3-4 minutes. I’ve soloed swept for mesmers, talented one too. And booted them out. This is sounding more and more like a learning issue. Just practise more and don’t give up so easily.

Calling someone passive aggressive is silly. It detracts from the debate with a personal attack about a valuation you know nothing about.

If you felt I was talking down that’s on you. I did no such thing.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Woozified.7058

Dear me. Read your own words. You said 3-4 minutes.

Calling someone passive aggressive is silly. It detracts from the debate with a personal attack about a valuation you know nothing about.

K, my mistake. AT LEAST 3-4 minutes.

Once again, please add to the discussion instead of whatever you’re trying to do here.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Once again, please add to the discussion instead of whatever you’re trying to do here.

You’re the only one derailing it with long passages about my psyche, lol.

in WvW

Woozified.7058

You’re the only one derailing it with long passages about my psyche, lol.

Anyways, do you think it’s balanced that a single mesmer requires 5+ people to stick around for 3+ minutes, sweeping with skills everywhere, have a chance to find it and take it down? Or requires a specific class to counter? If you do, then you can just say so. However, realize that to many people, that is considered anti-fun, possibly even toxic, for the gameplay of others. Once again, it may be enjoyment for the hider, but not for the seekers. Please stop changing the topic.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

It only takes one to kill a Mesmer. I’ve done it.

I’m sorry you’re strugglng with the class. The class is not OP.

What’s OP is people not understanding that class’s mechanics ….and asking for nerfs because they’re ineffective versus the class.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Woozified.7058

What’s OP is people not understanding that class’s mechanics ….and asking for nerfs because they’re ineffective versus the class.

Which class did you use, and how did you do it, to singlehandedly FIND and take out a skilled PU permastealth mesmer in Hills or Garri? I’d love to hear your story.

I’m not talking about a mesmer that’s fighting you 1v1 back. I’m talking about a mesmer that simply refuses to fight and just stealths right when you find it and blinks away.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I do it on both my necro and mesmer.

Necro is actually a bit easier.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

This actually made me laugh out loud. Well played.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

in WvW

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I had never played mesmer before. I rolled 1 about a week ago, practiced for about 1 hour and now I’m a facerolling players left and right in PvP with half the effort I need to use with other classes. Mesmer is broken. There is no way that I should be having that level of success even against nubs with just 1 or 2 hours of play time.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in WvW

Woozified.7058

Most of the time a few of us will get the mesmers relatively easily. The problem arise when you inevitably have to deal with several good mesmers who know the map and their trade. Between the abundant and long stealth, invul, the 24 sec 1200 range blink, the blind and aegis it can be extremely frustrating to finish some of these pests.

That being said, it is not the mesmer in itself that is the problem IMHO but stealth as a whole in WvW. I still didn’t figure why, oh why, they felt it was a good idea to increase stealth presence instead of giving something else to compensate.

Yeah, I agree with you 100%. I think it’s the combination of stealth and portal. I wish Anet would add more ways to combat long-duration chain-stealthing in enemy keeps.

Some ideas I read that might work includes 1) giving keep guards a way to reveal stealth players, 2) decreasing stealth duration by 50% in enemy keeps, and 3) giving mesmers a “revealed” trait that prevent instant restealthing. I’m sure there are more and better ideas though!

in WvW

Posted by: Sich.7103

Sich.7103

Yeah, I agree with you 100%. I think it’s the combination of stealth and portal.

We have thief for stealth, no need to add perma stealth to mesmer who can portal ! Portal + stealth just make this game more broken and more boring.
Sometimes when the ennemy have plenty of mesmers the game just turn to another eotm… Players don’t even take time to check, because you have at least 3 mesmers in the keep when you take it back…. Killing those 3 mesmers tage too many people and too many times… Then our team do the same…. And the keep just flip every 5min. Waouw… That’s a good game….
I just want to see with the new map and those big keep… Auto upgrade, no wp, big place to hide… >> eotm 2.0…

in WvW

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

chasing / searching for mesmers has always been pure kitten and reached new heights of low after patch. if you post this on the forums you get a lot of mesmers defending their “skills”… suprise, surprise.

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Thieves have been doing this for almost 2 years before mesmer and 1 PD thief can solo the keep easily, 2 or 3 can kill the Lord before swords even appear. “Oh but there’s counter play” not if you don’t know they’re there and GL catching the kitten things especially with caltrops on dodge.

Say we remove all stealth from Mesmer, what do you think will happen? The world shoots unicorns into the sky and we all dance happily as we ktrain around without a thought?

No. You will just end up with parties of thieves hiding and actually permanent stealthing. They may even help hide a mesmer.

Here’s the trick to being a pro Mesmer portaler. Wait for enemy to bash down out and inner gates. Walk in out of LoS behind them. Use invis. Wait for them to run out of lords room, blink into a corner, sit there out of stealth as the idiots pat each other on their backs sipping that sweet karma as they sniff out another wooden door to bash in with 4 super Rams.

in WvW

Posted by: meltdown.5870

meltdown.5870

WvW is all about speed ..to much speed and its like EoTM. too little it dies..

mesmerhunting slows the speed…and mesmers summoning for fast retake is putting more speed into the game…

this is a contribution to balancing the capping speed and forces peoble to stop to search and to defend what they capped.. cause if they dont …they loose the capping points in 3 min or less. and dont forget WvW is about keeping your server ahead on points ^^^**

in WvW

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

Of course, if i saw 1 necro in the keep trying to find me, i’d simply retrait myself out of condi (with equipment) while in stealth, and shatter your necro into oblivion in about 5 secs. I suspect your little necro has a field day on the mesmers that stubbornly stay in condi mode, only to implode when the condis are transferred back on them.

the only thing that nails me in a keep is either my own stupidity, or 3+ engs with lock-on. And even then i know how to locate enough to either frustrate them enough to leave me alone or withdraw myself and follow their blob to the next keep and do it again..

its the stealth thats the issue. I think they should alter all stealth skills so none are over 5 secs in duration and don’t let them stack. Especially for a mesmer, who already has clones and evades. When a mesmer has time, while in stealth, to completely retrait and reequip, thats too long (talking WvW here obviously).

In PvP, the issue is the balancing algoritm. I played 6 matches yesterday. 4 of them had 3 mesmers on one time, 2 on the other (i was on the 3 mez time). Granted it was mez daily day, but still, its just ridiculus.