To the new wvwers

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

Welcome. You probably aren’t used to reading that because most of the response to you guys coming into wvw for the achievements has been negative, but honestly, lots of us (people who’ve been playing wvw for a while) are happy to have new comrades.

I do have something I’d like to say as you join the fight.

Dying is part of wvw, much more so than in pve. You aren’t a bad player if you die. You are if you run away at every chance of a fight, though, so practice getting used to dying, and as you practice you might find you die less. There has been a rise in running away since the league season began, and I suspect that’s about a lack of confidence rather than sheer jerk-heartedness. I’m pretty sure most people run a lot when they begin wvw. It can be terrifying to have other players attacking you if that isn’t what you’re used to. But we need to watch each other’s backs, and it’s depressing to be the person who thought they were in a random 5v5 and then turns around to find they’re left 1v5. Also, if you’re running you’re not fighting, and that gives enemies a much easier time taking you out.

Of course, sometimes you should run. If you’re in a 1v5, run!

People might disagree with me, but I think the point about letting yourself die is one of the most important to know when you’re diving into wvw. And I do mean my “welcome.” I’m glad you guys are giving this game mode a chance, because it surprised me way back when I found out it was actually my favourite part of Guild Wars 2, and now I can’t imagine the game without it. You might find that too. Good luck, have fun.

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Carize.8532

Carize.8532

Right on Sitkaz. We need more posts like this—for the humor and the helpful suggestion. The issues that are cropping up aren’t necessarily PvW visitors faults, and we all need a smile now before tempers get raw.

Bianca Helios, Ele :: Ganna Shouztu, Ranger :: Selad Mahen, Necro :: Rowan Nightseer, Warr
Melodic Whisper, Thief :: Mephelotic Phantasm, Mes :: Xoboda, Guard :: Plikkik, Engi
Jade Quarry since launch then I started wandering the borderlands of Yak’s Bend

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

In this situation is laugh the last phase of insanity…

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: nachtritter.8961

nachtritter.8961

Welcome. You probably aren’t used to reading that because most of the response to you guys coming into wvw for the achievements has been negative, but honestly, lots of us (people who’ve been playing wvw for a while) are happy to have new comrades.

I do have something I’d like to say as you join the fight.

Dying is part of wvw, much more so than in pve. You aren’t a bad player if you die. You are if you run away at every chance of a fight, though, so practice getting used to dying, and as you practice you might find you die less. There has been a rise in running away since the league season began, and I suspect that’s about a lack of confidence rather than sheer jerk-heartedness. I’m pretty sure most people run a lot when they begin wvw. It can be terrifying to have other players attacking you if that isn’t what you’re used to. But we need to watch each other’s backs, and it’s depressing to be the person who thought they were in a random 5v5 and then turns around to find they’re left 1v5. Also, if you’re running you’re not fighting, and that gives enemies a much easier time taking you out.

Of course, sometimes you should run. If you’re in a 1v5, run!

People might disagree with me, but I think the point about letting yourself die is one of the most important to know when you’re diving into wvw. And I do mean my “welcome.” I’m glad you guys are giving this game mode a chance, because it surprised me way back when I found out it was actually my favourite part of Guild Wars 2, and now I can’t imagine the game without it. You might find that too. Good luck, have fun.

Yeah, I’m still a bit new to WvW, and dying all the time kinda surprised me at first. Of course, real players are a whole different beast than even the toughest bosses, so that’s expected. I see it like the first times I got invaded in Dark Souls. You stand your ground as long as you can, and if you think the enemy’s gonna take you out, try and make it the hardest kill they’ll ever get. Heck, I’m enjoying going on ‘suicide mission’ runs, even.

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Falassion.8031

Falassion.8031

Very good post! Unfortunately the sad truth is that they arent interested in small fight or give you a backup but only achievement. Yesterday i died like 3 time against the same group was spawn camping but they always run back in tower. Maybe they think if they die in game die in real life. Like in the film ! XD

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: nachtritter.8961

nachtritter.8961

Very good post! Unfortunately the sad truth is that they arent interested in small fight or give you a backup but only achievement. Yesterday i died like 3 time against the same group was spawn camping but they always run back in tower. Maybe they think if they die in game die in real life. Like in the film ! XD

Believe it or not, not all newcomers to WvW are bad. I’m enjoying it, reminds me of the RvR of DAoC and WAR (well, for its first months anyway). Achievements can be a good incentive to take part in the fight, but you won’t get the Season 1 key if you don’t persevere and learn to play. I started WvW like what, 3 days ago? I can’t play all the time, but I still managed to hit rank 21 and I’m upgrading my ram skills so I can help my groups open gates ASAP.

Some of us are drawn to the WvW for achievements, but I think only those who like it will stay. It’s such a different beast from PvE that no one who hates WvW will stay.

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Carize.8532

It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying it. WvW has definitely been my most favored game zone for the past half year now. It’ll be nice to have new faces and guild tags to share our loot bags.

…but not that one…that one’s MINE! :P

Bianca Helios, Ele :: Ganna Shouztu, Ranger :: Selad Mahen, Necro :: Rowan Nightseer, Warr
Melodic Whisper, Thief :: Mephelotic Phantasm, Mes :: Xoboda, Guard :: Plikkik, Engi

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Man has to know when to fight and when to run. Yes diing is a part of this game, a big part. You just need to know when you can avoid it. Like dont step on walls under attack because there will be AoE there.

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Carize.8532

And don’t step out on the edge of a wall trying to AoE down on attackers. You will be pulled down and /emotes of LOL will fly across your chat screen.

Wall fishing, it’s not a ‘catch & release’ program.

Attachments:

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

and the hardcore wvw’rs shouldn’t sleep on the pve builds either, some of them work great in wvw… – fought this one thief tonight , just did condition damage with pistols, i have high spike damage, he was tougher than a guardian, and I’ve taken out guardians and warriors .. i also watched him down a warrior too lol…… and he didn’t do any stealth either, the condition was hard to get away from, because even if you cured condition, the next shots load you up with tons of conditions all over again…your armor is basically irrelevant. The only time he ran was when I turned him into a moa – and he just jetted out …and I couldn’t get close enough to finish him! he healed up like a mile away, came back and kept sending me more conditions! lol! I can see how a build like that would last in a dungeon, whereas the common thief builds in wvw wouldn’t. I can down the avg wvw thief fast when not in stealth. This guys build wasn’t average! so kudos to the pve’rs with interesting dungeon builds – too bad the thief can’t extend the pistol shot to 1,200. Trying to decide how to spec mine.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

Repair bills add up if you die a lot..but yes, death is to expected in WvW. Sometimes you have to make a stand against incredible odds to buy time for your World, that, IMHO is what makes WvW awesome.

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

And for the love of the server, don’t run off to cap the sentry, when the mission is to take SM. Then you deserve it when we call you “pug” or “PvE kittens” (or worse) and lead you off to OS with false promises of Mesmer portals.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Alerion.3708

Alerion.3708

and lead you off to OS with false promises of Mesmer portals.

This is my new hobby the people in ts know there is no mesmer but the archivement hunters join the jp often. without that the day would not be that great.

Warrior @ Kodash

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

The most liberating experience for a WvW player is when that lightbulb finally clicks on and you realize that dying in WvW isn’t that big a deal — and often will make you more fearless as you pile drive into a massive blob to break it up. It’s fun, try it! Nothing more gratifying than watching a massive blob scatter just by you alone as they are trying to stack might/regen/swiftness and you foil that process by breaking them up.

Worst case? You have to rez and run back and pay 2 silver for repairs. Best case? You’ve just eliminated their combos and your teammates can now dive in and wipe them without the benefit of boons.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

The most liberating experience for a WvW player is when that lightbulb finally clicks on and you realize that dying in WvW isn’t that big a deal — and often will make you more fearless as you pile drive into a massive blob to break it up. It’s fun, try it! Nothing more gratifying than watching a massive blob scatter just by you alone as they are trying to stack might/regen/swiftness and you foil that process by breaking them up.

Worst case? You have to rez and run back and pay 2 silver for repairs. Best case? You’ve just eliminated their combos and your teammates can now dive in and wipe them without the benefit of boons.

Agreed. I often lead a small 5 man havoc group when I play WvW. It’s so satisfying to see a zerg of 20-30 stop on their way to garrison to focus on you, buying time for your main zerg to get into position to defend. Rejoining soon after to collect loot bags.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

And don’t step out on the edge of a wall trying to AoE down on attackers. You will be pulled down and /emotes of LOL will fly across your chat screen.

Um, ya, or accidentally fall off into the crowd of enemies and die in 5 seconds, like I did this morning

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Um, ya, or accidentally fall off into the crowd of enemies and die in 5 seconds, like I did this morning

I leap off towers and turn into Kratos against the zerg outside!

…… for 5 seconds until Endure Pain wears off.

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Thank you for this post. The best part is the part that explains that you’re bad if you run from a fight. It’s very tiring to have to continually yell “PUSH!” when fighting an uphill fight (literally) while seeing a handful of cowards breaking the line in retreat.

Only when it’s an absolutely obvious defeat will a retreat be called, usually by the Comm only. Like, when the enemy is able to get a set of 4 superiors up above or behind you while your team is stuck in a slow crawl for footage; that is a clear defeat situation that needs to go back to a better foothold and strat for a roundabout.

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

My experience so far in WvW this week – Start a 1v1, 1v2, 2v2 etc fight.

Other group starts to lose. Other group runs to the closest guard/zerg, I either retreat or die.

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: AndrewRain.3169

AndrewRain.3169

Remember to read the siege before putting them down, dropping rams on wall and behind keep lord won’t help you. Remember read the siege weopen as your hover over them “RAMS don’t work on Walls” and “Trebs don’t work well close range”.

And there 2 types of Golem, Alpha and Omega… they have different way to destroy wall and gates.

[RAW] Raw Material
Commander Valcorain
What is Broken Can be Reforged.

(edited by AndrewRain.3169)

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I just keep siege on me in case the commander needs it. I know I’m not skilled enough to know what to use or where to put it. I see all the time commanders telling people NOT to put siege here or there but to wait until commanded. I think most newcomers would do better and be more effective if they just stick to a commander like glue and wait for commands!

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

that can be tricky too, because some commanders are still new and need guidance as well. Sometimes the commander should take council from wvw vets as well. It’s really a matter of communicating and acting fast based on the best strategy.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

To the new wvwers

in WvW

KyreneZA.8617

The importance of using some kind of voice chat to listen to the commander/s and scouts cannot be stated enough. If your server has one, find out what it is and how to get on it.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Hule.8794

One rule rule them all :-D

ALWAYS stick to your group leader. Even when you passing enemy dolyak, leave him until leader decides to kill him. Or sentry.
Leader has probably a plan, and killing sentry is shown on a map and enemies will know there is some enemy at sentry. And this may be a disaster to your sneak attack.

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I do that all the time, how else are I am any use to defend if I do not take a risk once in a while.

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

agreed. i for one am more than willing to help those new to WvW if they ever have any questions etc.

and (ESPECIALLY) when odds are even, please don’t leave me to fend alone in the ruins after capping one when you see red names run up. : (( makes me sadbear.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

To the new wvwers

in WvW

KyreneZA.8617

My experience so far in WvW this week – Start a 1v1, 1v2, 2v2 etc fight.

Other group starts to lose. Other group runs to the closest guard/zerg, I either retreat or die.

That’s when you /laugh @ the enemy you undoubtedly still have highlighted. Even if you die to their zerg, you will then have won.

Recently returned to…

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: BlackDevil.9268

BlackDevil.9268

You should see Jade Sea zergs. Run run run. Even when it’s pugs vs pugs with their zerg being bigger they run. I’m really amazed how some people play this game lol.

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Hule.8794

If you are not playing WvW you dont know about death. Yes in sPvP if you die you will rally someone. in WvW if you die you will rally many.
But in SPvP you have a chance to run from those 5 players. in WvW you have no chance to run from those 50 players and you drop faster than a fly.That is why WvW players should get used to death.

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Well my Guardian is Rank 104. He solos mainly and can retake a camp before the swords appear. I learned WvW with him and used and abused him. Total deaths 3,433. Guardians cannot run from a fight, we make sure everyone else gets away. So anyone that accuses me of being afraid to die is going to have to face me. Scared yet?

Total 274 Ranks over 8 toons.

Theftwind (HoD)

(edited by Theftwind.8976)

To the new wvwers

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

If you’re on Piken, you really need to join the Teamspeak.

All the good commanders use it because it’s the fastest way to communicate and nobody really has time to stop and type something.
It’s not, as many people imagine a crowd of teenagers screaming at each other. These are generally the older, more experienced players discussing tactics, laying plans and relaying scout information.
By not using it, you run the risk of making mistakes that get you killed or worse, get the group wiped.

You don’t need a microphone, you don’t need to speak. You just really, really need to listen.

If you’re not on Piken, please, please ignore this advice