Toggle character name display to enemies.

in WvW

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

I could be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, way back in the beta character names were displayed in WvW to enemy players. It was my understanding that this was removed due to the nature of PvP and the potential for character harassment.

However, I don’t believe I’m alone in my belief that having enemy character names remain absolutely invisible is detrimental to the WvW PvP experience.

If players were given the ability to toggle their names on, and display them to enemy players, a deeper community of rivalry and competitiveness would grow in WvW. I can’t see any negative repercussions to this feature if characters are, by default, set to have this option toggled off and remain anonymous (just like the current system). Only if a player chooses to reveal their name, will it be revealed to the enemy.

Maybe it’s the norn in me, but am I the only player that wants to not be anonymous in WvW, but rather watch the legend of my name grow among my enemies? XD

in WvW

Posted by: tekknik.1769

tekknik.1769

Dye you’re hair bright pink and pull some shenanigans to make a name for yourself, then repeat. If you do it long enough the spies will push your name through the ranks and you’ll get the attention you want / deserve!

:P

in WvW

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

If I remember the actual reason for ‘hiding’ the names was because in real battles you don’t know the names of your enemies.

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

You can still find out their name by tagging them, hitting block, look at your block list, unblock, then whisper

It’s a nice way to congratulate an enemy on a good play and make a new friend.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

Dye you’re hair bright pink and pull some shenanigans to make a name for yourself, then repeat. If you do it long enough the spies will push your name through the ranks and you’ll get the attention you want / deserve!

:P

Should all that really be necessary though? And does it really accomplish the desired effects? A name that is consistently displayed is so much easier to remember, thus why other games notify whom you killed/were killed by, etc.

If I remember the actual reason for ‘hiding’ the names was because in real battles you don’t know the names of your enemies.

But this is a game, and a game mechanic that would add depth. If it were truly going for the immersion factor, wouldn’t we all be forced to fight in first person anyways? XD

(edited by Latorn.4209)