Tombs of Knowledge... not even good kindling

in WvW

Posted by: Payne.3184

Payne.3184

I know their are a few who think tombs of knowledge are great for leveling up… right up until all their char’s have hit 80… then they become bag slot garbage… I have one of each class… don’t see any reason of need for more… I now am rewarded with a non-reward I can’t trade, sell, savage or use…
I’ll trade you 25 for a Mastery point… or 1 for a catapult or Treb… least those have some value… I know people who have stacks of them….
Mastery Points are another sore spot… but that’s for a different area

in WvW

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

They can be converted into Spirit Shards if you are already at level 80.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Spirit shards are good. But it’s a pain clicking on them all. Maybe a use all button.

What I really don’t like are those writs of experience. They can be exchanged for ToK which are already marginally worthless as suggested above but it’s pretty tedious and the MF vendor isn’t everywhere. Although that’s not a wvw thing though I guess; I just felt like bringing them up.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Use them for spirit shards, just open the tomes on an 80. You’ll need the spirit shards if you decide to make a legendary the traditional way or buy most other things from the forge attendant. Also, in a way, you can get seige using tomes, once again convert to spirit shards and buy the seige masters guide purchased with spirit shards and throw the guide and a few other things in the forge for Sup seige.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Mystic forging superior siege is possible but I’ve mostly stopped doing it even though I have like 100 siegemaster things in the bank. You can only craft one at a time; that just kills it totally when I can select how many I want from the heroics vendor so I pretty much only forge siege when it’s mystic forge daily.

It doesn’t help that elder wood is so expensive now. https://gw2efficiency.com/currencies/spirit-shards

As one can see, siege is one of the worst use of spirit shards in terms of value, except maybe golems. So it seems that one would be better off buying it straight off the TP and waste less time— and using the shards for anything else for a method that takes less clicks and makes more gold so that you can buy even siege anyways or just save up heroics if one wants to save gold. Right, now it just really feels like you’re clicking more to save an inconsequential amount of gold (and are effectively losing it in the long run. )

To make matters worse? Well, if you’re using badges to purchase the regular siege needed to make the superior ones, you might want to reconsider.

https://gw2efficiency.com/currencies/badges-of-honor

tl;dr Back when Mithril and Elder wood were so plentiful and cheap, forging siege might have saved gold. But now since elder wood’s more than 4x as expensive, it’s really not as such.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

All very well, but despite using spirit shards for crafting and upgrading lots of siege I still have over 6.5k of the kitten things and two stacks of tomes in the bank…..
There need to be an alternative use for spirit shards.
Perhaps adding the ability to purchase badges of honour or proofs of heroics with them?

(edited by Nidome.1365)

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

What is Spirit Shards ? I think I remember something about them mentioned in the patch changes back in june 2015, when they stopped giving us hero points after level 80. I think I probably have a few, are they useful for anything ? Oh trade them for badges that sounds nice !

(Ok, I do know what they are, just never used them, because I avoid the crafting system and such like the plague, and sworn I’ll never craft a legendary weapon ever etc. So I would like to see some use for them)

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

(Ok, I do know what they are, just never used them, because I avoid the crafting system and such like the plague, and sworn I’ll never craft a legendary weapon ever etc. So I would like to see some use for them)

I’ve transmuted my Ascended weapons and armor a few times. Spirit Shards are used to purchase the Anthology of Heroes – necessary for the transmutation. Six pieces of armor and two weapons requires 80 shards.

(edited by Soon.5240)

in WvW

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

They can be converted into Spirit Shards if you are already at level 80.

I have close to 5 k spiritshards. I have all masteries, and i have stacks of tome of knowledge on my bank so for this sucks, because i simply don’t earn anything useful anymore. And i get like 8-15 tomes in wvw every day. Soon i can blow my nose in them.

Imo there should be some sort of choice added, were you can get masetrypoints, rank points in wvw, maybe spirit shards or something else, well something anyway were you can pick what you need.

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

They probably came up with a crazy idea that players would be prone to buy more character slots knowing anet.

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Remember when we didn’t have tomes, and when they were first introduced people were yelling for ways to get more of them? Good god man, either trash them or use them, stop complaining about getting something useful.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

Not really useful when you have 21 level 80 characters like me.. I wish there was something I could trade them for that was useful, because spirit shards aren’t useful to me. Let me trade them for proof of heroics or something like that, at least I could get siege from that. I’d be fine for a 1 for 1 trade with the proof of heroics.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

in WvW

X T D.6458

Not really useful when you have 21 level 80 characters like me.. I wish there was something I could trade them for that was useful, because spirit shards aren’t useful to me. Let me trade them for proof of heroics or something like that, at least I could get siege from that. I’d be fine for a 1 for 1 trade with the proof of heroics.

I have a bunch sitting around unused as well, but I at least can understand these rewards are not personally implemented for me. Many players find these useful, not everyone has the time to grind levels on a toon, or farm spirit shards. This is especially helpful for new players.

in WvW

Posted by: Fistarius.2496

Fistarius.2496

The purpose of the tomes is the get people to buy more toon slots…

Tick Toxic

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Just trash them if you don’t want the shards, that’s the least of wvw problems at the moment, pve has it worse with it’s clickaton on loot bags.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

Guess if you keep a single slop free, you can make a new ton, use them to level up to X level and perhaps get something useful from the level-up stuff ? dunno. I tend to get mostly annoyed at the stuff I get at level up anyways :p

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Well, I already had a few extra character slots (sales OP) when I decided to start using the 1-1/2 stacks I’d accumulated. Then I did create some new charcters and use the Tomes, and then I went to try and purchase the Obsidian Shard and wished I hadn’t used to tomes to level.

With so many toons that you may play different areas of the game with that may have ascended armor that’s easily switchable in the forge using spirit shards, it’s extremely easy to run through your stockpile very quickly. Especially when new stats are introduced.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

It would be nice to get some random loot instead of tomes, maybe transmute charges, mystic coins, black lion keys as rare drops, something because we are getting tomes from all angles right now, its a bit overkill.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

tomb of knowledge sounds like a great dungeon

more seriously, i think being able to convert tome of knowledge into something else would be great. converting them into leveling rewards is long and messy. maybe if you could spend X tomes of knowledge and receive a class exotic box that would be a good change.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

X T D.6458

tomb of knowledge sounds like a great dungeon

more seriously, i think being able to convert tome of knowledge into something else would be great. converting them into leveling rewards is long and messy. maybe if you could spend X tomes of knowledge and receive a class exotic box that would be a good change.

Now that’s one dungeon I can get excited about

More uses for tomes would be nice, would be interesting if it could used as a currency.

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

Or turning that around, instead of giving us so much Tomes of Knowledge, give us a WvW currency (like the one we got, the yellow round one), and use those to buy things like Tomes, or spirit shards, or other stuff. Heck it would already let us use them to buy siege etc!

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

No I think they should stay or at the very least; give us the option to convert them to something else.

Tomes = levels OR spirit shards. For the latter, I barely have ANY spirit shards EVER because I’m constantly crafting min/maxing my ascended gear with infusions and they chew up a lot of spirit shards, especially converting out-dated ascended gear over to different stats.

You can play your main and rack up tomes for an alt which is good because nobody likes uplevels in WvW.

Those are valid reasons why they should remain. Now we can further explore the idea that not everyone will need tomes for alts OR spirit shards for whatever reason so an acceptable solution would be to include OPTIONS within the tome(s) to convert them into other meaningful things e.g; another currency, buy siege blueprints or even to the extent of implementing new recipes requiring the forging of tomes.

I hope this helps.

in WvW

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

No I think they should stay or at the very least; give us the option to convert them to something else.

Tomes = levels OR spirit shards. For the latter, I barely have ANY spirit shards EVER because I’m constantly crafting min/maxing my ascended gear with infusions and they chew up a lot of spirit shards, especially converting out-dated ascended gear over to different stats.

You can play your main and rack up tomes for an alt which is good because nobody likes uplevels in WvW.

Those are valid reasons why they should remain. Now we can further explore the idea that not everyone will need tomes for alts OR spirit shards for whatever reason so an acceptable solution would be to include OPTIONS within the tome(s) to convert them into other meaningful things e.g; another currency, buy siege blueprints or even to the extent of implementing new recipes requiring the forging of tomes.

I hope this helps.

I have 10 level 80s – all in ascended with ascended weapons and no spare character slots or the money to by more slots.
I have two full stacks of tomes in the bank and 6.5k spirit shards and I have also upgraded over 2000 siege to superior so far.
I really need an alternative use for spirit shards or a better way of doing siege upgrades as all that clicking is wearing out my mouse and is mind-numbingly boring.

in WvW

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

When we get Tengu as a playable race, make 9 of them, and everybody in WvW can be poultry.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Posted by: LionChain.7694

LionChain.7694

I already have a bajillion spirit shards that I never use and i dont plan on going for nemore legendaries (i have 6) and i have more ascended gear than i know wut to do with…I wouldn’t mind if Anet put in a way to buy other more useful things with tomes…also please allow us to convert tomes of mentorship and experience scrolls into tomes (that is, if Anet puts in some cool rewards we can buy with tomes)…i’d even take unique skins or minis or toys.

in WvW

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

While there technically is a workaround for them, it doesn’t make the issue much less annoying. I’d much rather be able to just choose something else in its place or maybe spend them for WXP consumables. Its more that they are a nuisance than anything else. Converting spirit shards is too much work so I just use the Tomes now and let my shards go up and up.

Maguuma Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Well they could make them used for wvw tickets maybe
100 = 10 tickets
wont be the main source of the tickets a reward track should but would at lest make them useful since i got OVER 1,600 spirit shards