Too many maps, move EB to EotM style

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

I was going to say get rid of the borderland maps entirely but I actually happen to love the idea of defending a home map so how about we just remove Eternal Battleground and make it an optional EotM megaserver style map instead. Give the Edge of a Mists a drop down choice so you can play on the original Edges map or a no falling EB version with as many copies of each as needed.

Yeah I know, everyone loves EB now but that is only since the new Desert map is still so frustrating and EB has always been guaranteed action (and lag around SM). Tier 1 in NA hasn’t had queues on any of its borderland maps beyond reset nite for over a year so this is not exactly a new problem. The real problem is that Edge of the Mist exists and makes some people very happy while the active WvW population can’t fill up the maps it has and the new Desert Borderland map needs to played with large numbers to even feel populated. So then maybe T1 might have some queues in prime times and players have to decide if they want to move down with only 3 WvW maps but I have a feeling it might not even be that much.

The other part of is this is only have one copy of the new Desert Borderland going to which ever color people seem to agree on would be most beneficial. I honestly haven’t played it enough to know what its advantages truly are and if red would be most benefited in its defensibly or if it would work better as a handicap to the green side tilted to invaders. Then the other two maps should be Alpine v1.0 (Quaggan Lake) & 2.0 (Ruins). I think they could even find a way to keep the Bloodlust buff from Alpine 2.0 and just make that be its unique map mechanic like laser event is for Desert and maybe they could even bring back an Orb for Apline 1.0, maybe wouldn’t cause as many problems with only one of them instead of three. Sounds like more variety and fun to me. I am all about choice and having options, you never know what you’ll be in the mood for on a given nite.

Then everyone gets something they like and let things sort themselves out or revisit in a few months if it doesn’t seem to be working out. Let us Realm vs Realm pride folks keep our world albeit smaller identities while the alliance crowd can go flock to EB or EotM maps for 24/7 action.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Posted by: Akashi.3245

Akashi.3245

if eb went to a megaserver and turned into another pve ktrain i would quit this game. i dont think i would be the only person to say this. i play this game for fights not pve content, i doubt people that want anything competetive to stay would want eb as a mega server based map to play on. atleast i wouldn’t. even if it were to add more numbers to a map, what would be the point of a server.

Daxnas ~ Necromancer 6k + hrs | WvW Mithril | [Woe] [LATE]

(edited by Akashi.3245)

in WvW

Posted by: spacepanda.4285

spacepanda.4285

resolute NO to megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

No to megaserver. Community is the only reason a large portion of the playerbase (especially those below T2) is still even in the game. Megaserver WvW and they’re all gone.

in WvW

Posted by: Kitiara.2706

Kitiara.2706

Oh god NO!!! No megaserver WvW!

in WvW

PariahX.6970

while I agree with the sentiment, megaserver stuff is bad for WvW I am willing to admit there are currently too many maps for the present WvW population across the tiers. Such an idea wouldn’t really change anything other than having 3 borderland maps instead of the 4 we have now with Eternal Battlegrounds.

Who is to say EB would turn into a ktrain map if moved the EotM rule set anyways? Just in the Edges map alone there is already a strong conflict between those who want fights and ktrains which usually results in one color stacking for fights and farming the other two so no one has fun in the end. I think just having SM alone would be a huge dynamic change in that rule set where all three sides would clash often. And wouldn’t the GvGers across the tiers who are already trying to find each other in EotM for battles enjoy the EB map with more open space?

Not to mention all the threads recently from people saying WvW has to go to alliance based system or have server mergers to survive. This could be a quicker change than many we’ve come up so far and even temporary if need be. Seems like a win win to me. /shrug

Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

EB map away is fine. Reuse the map.

Realm 1: Alpine
Realm 2: Reworked EB as homeland.
Realm 3: Desert

Woot. Off we go.

in WvW

Posted by: albotelho.2931

albotelho.2931

The problem with Eotm is that there is no reason for a side to win, no one cares about the Eotm “ppt”, because there is no reward other than some supplies for WvW.

So why people would care to defend and get nothing for it? Better ktrain and get farm something… I do not like ktrains I only do it when I needed to level alts so it is definitely a game mode I do not ever want to see in WvW.

If they change Eotm to be part of the WvW ppt, or make it worth to win the match by chaging the rewards and pushing people to defend and not only ktrain so we could have something worth to see.

Turig Wolfsbane Norn Guardian
Rangrorn Charr Necromancer
Ultimate Legion [UL]

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Home Borderland Defense: This is your corner of EBG.

Already before the new maps, I’ve seen more people invested in defending up their corner of EBG than the Alpine Home BL. This works much better than the Home Borderland anyways, since it creates a dynamic and changing battlefront, with defenders to fall back to. Instead of chasing people off the map.

I’ve been a Borderland roamer for 90%+ of my time in WvW, and even I say "Don’t ******* mess with EBG!".

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

The problem is that ANet seems to be completely blind with population issues, otherwise they would have made the new borderland a complete map for all three sides like EB and the EotM map.

The WvW could be just 1 EB and 1 Borderland map and everything would be much better.

With the currently available collection of maps there are only these possibilities:

1. WvW with EB and 3 new BL; EotM with EotM-map (and old BL?), i.e. current
  2. WvW with EB and 3 old BL; EotM with EotM-map (and newBL?), i.e. pre-HoT
  3. WvW with EB only; Eotm with EotM-Map and old and new Borderlands
  4. WvW with EB and EotM map; EotM with old and new borderland-maps
  5. WvW with 3 old BLs; EotM with EotM-Map, new BL and EB
  6. WvW with 3 new BLs; EotM with EotM-Map, old BL and EB
Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I would rather see open world PvP than another EotM.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

PariahX.6970

I think that could work as well but the less we “require” them to rework EB to be a borderland map the better since I have so little faith in the amount of dev time available for WvW related changes. SM would basically end up functioning as one teams Garrison and while Red spawn is closest and can counter treb for it, is that enough of an advantage to the lowest rank team when we were forgo having 3 identical borderland maps for balance?

Home Borderland Defense: This is your corner of EBG.

Would only one WvW EB map with zero borderlands be enough at this point? Maybe it will be if things keep going as their are right now but I want to remain hopeful that this downturn is just an instablity of some sort. It sure as heck would force the top tiers to spread out a bit (which could be a good thing) if they actually wanted to get their whole guild into WvW at once.

I am pretty sure due to the extremely low map population caps and lag issues with SM the big guilds would scream bloody murder if only 80 -100 players per world could play WvW at once while the rest would be stuck in an EotM type of queue map. Maybe without the borderland maps resources could be devoted to EB for increasing its map cap without worse lag but I don’t think it would ever be able to hold much more than 150 per side anyways (the original number ANET talked about having) which still is not that many players total. It would probably also require shorter matches of a few days instead of a week to feel more responsive to change.

I would be in favor of seeing some alterations to how the Edges of Mist map(s) affect your worlds score, especially if megaserver tech could be used somehow to create more alliance style groupings. I assume given how the new Desert Borderland map is designed this is the direction those upcoming WvW changes that could not fit into HoT will go so I am trying to brace myself for that and find some compromises where more variety of play-styles can continue to coexist though I expect that is being entirely too optimistic at this point.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, I would think of a 3 sided desert BL and EB.

Does anyone see more than 2 maps queued these days?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

With the population as bad as everyone say, why not get rid of EB and the BL’s, put EotM map in as the only one? It has large enough open areas for large scale fights, no upgrades or yaks to worry about. Lots of room to roam. Your only issue would be falling or getting knocked off. Maybe take out some of the PvE stuff like the Atherblades in the middle which would be a good GvG area.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

(edited by Loosmaster.8263)

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

I’d rather have multiple ebgs (if necessary). Fights are easy to find and travel distances sort of short….

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

I’d rather have multiple ebgs (if necessary). Fights are easy to find and travel distances sort of short….

And the issue with that is everyone is screaming there isn’t enough population to cover all 4 maps.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

And the issue with that is everyone is screaming there isn’t enough population to cover all 4 maps.

Why I said “if necessary”. My idea isn’t 4 ebgs, but additional copies if que hits some threshhold. I stiLl don’t know iF that Is the answer, but huge que on EBG and mediocre pops on bl (at best) tells you what style of map many wvwers like to play…..

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

"PariahX"

Would only one WvW EB map with zero borderlands be enough at this point?

My post wasn’t about making *1* map, just saying that I don’t think the "home map" system works that well, and that EBG already does it better.

I *am* however strongly advocating having a *dynamic* amount of maps, that self adjusts for the active population at any given time. So it could be 1-5 maps depending on the amount of players. And make either 1 or 2 maps "persistent" so upgrades last etc, the rest can be collapsed.

Example: EBG, Alpine, Desert, EBG, Alpine, Desert, EBG.........

"ArchonWing"

Does anyone see more than 2 maps queued these days?

Sorry, I couldn’t resist, it is after all becoming a Kaineng tradition!

"What’s a queue? Is that edible!"

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

NO! No no no. No, thank you! Megaserver already ruined this game, and with the pve-y, jumping puzzley, EOTMy mess of a utter new borderland, EB is the only thing that keeps me playing.

EOTM is not a positive development for real WvW, so no more features should be designed based on it.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in WvW

Posted by: lilcoffeebean.3149

lilcoffeebean.3149

The problem is that ANet seems to be completely blind with population issues, otherwise they would have made the new borderland a complete map for all three sides like EB and the EotM map.

The WvW could be just 1 EB and 1 Borderland map and everything would be much better.

I agree with this or possibly 3 maps for full servers if the need arises in the future. Then they could cycle what borderland map it was on a weekly basis to give some ‘variety’. It certainly doesn’t solve all the issue’s currently plaguing WvW, but it would at least be a step in the right direction imo.

Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion.
Let’s not bicker and argue over who killed who.
Lilcoffeebean~Yak’s Bend~Perfect Dark [PD]

in WvW

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

No no no no no no please no.
No more EOTM pretty please.

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

EB map away is fine. Reuse the map.

Woot. Off we go.

From what I’ve seen NA prime in T1 I really think EB and one reworked desert map would fit all the players comfortably.