Traps in the E.B. Jumping Puzzle

in WvW

Posted by: Oddgo.5423

Oddgo.5423

With a recent patch, we saw the removal of siege in the E.B. Jumping Puzzle, and I think this is a good step in the right direction. I would like to explore a bit of thought as to bring things a bit further.

PvP in the jumping puzzle, although sometimes irritating , is not wholly detrimental to the experience as many folks would like to believe. Seeing a group camp a chokepoint is pretty saddening, but most of the time, I have seen these groups leave or be replaced by another group from an opposing server within the hour. Now, I don’t want to see PvP leave the E.B. puzzle. I think there is some value to it, but not in straight up fights. Those are often dull and one-sided, given that one combatant is only looking to get away and try to finish the puzzle, and the other is looking to just kill them for badges. Boring, boring, boring.

So, a proposition: Only the traps can do damage. I cannot remember the last time traps have been used to kill of deter people in the E.B. puzzle, but it is a kitten shame that people would rather camp in groups than make use of these awesome traps. THERE IS A INDIANA JONES ROLLING BALL PATH, COME ON!

I would love to see players taking each other out in a method that is unique to that jumping puzzle, as opposed to killing each other with steel like every other part in the game. Make us immune to player damage and effects, but alter things so that the traps are something to be feared! Make getting hit by a trap something that could set you back, and if you are not very cautious, kill you! People will still be able to get past and get their reward, but other players will be able to feel like devious kittens by killing people with the traps! Everyone has a chance to earn badges, instead of a group camping preventing anyone from earning badges, and not earning too many themselves once people have figured out that they can’t get through and stop trying.

Perhaps this won’t work out as nicely as I am imagining, but I would like to see it given a shot. Thoughts?

TL;DR: E.B. J.P. has traps, let’s use them. No more player damage or effects, up the ante on traps to make them fun to use without being an impassable wall.

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

lol that would make it a bit more interesting I think, make it so that the only way to kill enemy players is via traps only. It will prevent people from overpowering other players, and provide a challenge.

Though it will also prevent people from running portal runs to the chest which I know will put of some from doing it.

So I agree to this or at least let’s test it out.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

in WvW

Posted by: Korrank.7850

Korrank.7850

I completely agree with this. First off, it’s never fun when you’re just trying to win the jump puzzle and some random troll sits at the top with some knock back skill and pushes you off a couple feet from the chest. This idea would probably lead to more traps, but then it would make it fun for people to use skills to get around the trap and avoid them, rather than perma- steal thing the entire time just to get past the massive guild zerg babysitting the jumping puzzle.

One of the first members and officers of Fort Engineer [NERF] and will always be a part of them.

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

People use the traps already, but PvP in the jump puzzle is incredibly satisfying both as a defender or as an attacker. It would be totally out of line to disable being able to damage enemies with your own skills inside the JP and force players to use traps alone. May as well take it out of WvW and take the badges and siege out of it at that point, if you ask me.

You post as if dying in the J kitten omething that should only happen if you’re careless, and I totally disagree with that. The JP is a resource like any other in WvW, one that pumps siege and badges to whoever owns it at any given time. There is no reason for people from opposing servers to ‘get along’ and let each other reap the rewards. I’m not being ‘mean’ and I’m not being ‘cruel’ when I target uplevels or single invaders in the JPs, I am defending a resource from enemy control and use. Being able to siege it made it virtually impossible for groups of even superior size and skill to overtake campers, but with that removed, skill goes a long way and superior numbers can go a long way too. I don’t think any further changes need to be made to the JPs in that regard.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in WvW

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

Bad idea, would essentially kill all the fun of EB JP.

in WvW

Posted by: Esprit Dumort.3109

Esprit Dumort.3109

I use the flame traps near the end of the JP to kill players on my server, weeds out the dumb ones.

Jessamine [SNOW]
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Dont.6985

Dont.6985

I use the flame traps near the end of the JP to kill players on my server, weeds out the dumb ones.

Haha, I do this as well.
A lot of JQ fails to get past this and they report me for botting out of anger, which makes it hilarious.

in WvW

Posted by: silverfire.2547

silverfire.2547

Those are often dull and one-sided, given that one combatant is only looking to get away and try to finish the puzzle, and the other is looking to just kill them for badges. Boring, boring, boring.

Only boring from a carebear perspective. Killing someone no matter how lopsided the odds are in each direction is still fun. The whole reason why people bother with PvPin the jump puzzle is the intentionally ambiguous that you might have just ruined someone’s day.

Making whine threads or staying dead for more than the time it takes to find a waypoint takes out all that ambiguity and serves to feed trolls.

Mira Alluvion (Me) | Hanna Bulwark (W) | Sophie Dusthaven (Th)
[CoSA]/[WWGD] // Sorrow’s Furnace (since August 2012) US West Evening Shift

in WvW

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I like this idea very much. Creative killing with traps sounds way more fun than just plain kills

And for silverfire, you can still kill people, just with more awesome methods