Tuesday's WVW Update

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: Noob.5908

Noob.5908

After listening to the guild chat in regards to the upcoming update… I heard nothing that makes me want to log into gw2 and play WVW again. I am very disappointed that Anet/NcSoft still doesn’t get the issues the HoT update created and why people have stopped playing WVW. Having over 9k hours invested into WVW, I jump at any information in hopes of hearing that they really learned a hard lesson about what makes WVW work but its seems they have not. I use to spend 6-16 hours a day playing WVW and did so since the launch of GW2 but last week I played GW2 maybe 2 hours, I am lost for words and tired of even trying to voice my opinion about all of this. It’s hard to let go of WVW and its a terribly distressing topic for me. I mark this latest release of info from Anet/NcSoft as part of the mourning process of learning to live without WVW, but I still can’t help myself from trying to educate this company, even tho deep down I know its really a futile attempt. But here goes anyway…

Anet/NcSoft please read…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/How-to-Fix-WVW-Part-Three/first#post5828948

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: Argos Helios.4965

Argos Helios.4965

The fixes announced are good, but are simple and easy fixes that could have been implemented in an afternoon 2 years ago.

I just pledge 100$ to Camelot Unchained, even if it fails at least I’ve given money to devs who listen to their community and have a clue whats fun for Realm Vs Realm gaming.

-2000 ranks in WvW and thousands of hours. Guild leader of one of the last T3 OCX raiding guilds. We’ve moved through four tiers trying to find good OCX fights.
-Basically zero PVE because I hate it.

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I am very disappointed that Anet/NcSoft still doesn’t get the issues the HoT update created and why people have stopped playing WVW.

They do “get” WvW, but they just decided that it would conflict too much with their move to an eSport/PvP revenue stream — so they deliberately nerfed it. Just like they deliberately nerfed Dungeons in order to artificially promote Raids. Nerfing WvW was probably stipulated by the PvP third-party sponsors.

The fact that the WvW upgrade won’t even be ready for Beta until the fourth quarter of 2016 is no accident. If they actually had plans to make money off the WvW content that was released with HoT, then it’s current state would be unacceptable to the investors in the company. Heads would roll! But the death of WvW was no suprise – it was planned.

And , sadly, whatever is finally released will not be “allowed” to outshine PvP — so it will be just more PvE, NPC and auto upgrade stuff – but with Gliders!

The state of WvW is exactly where Anet wants it to be — anyone who feels otherwise has never run a business. And anyone who accepts that it was just “really hard” and “takes more time” doesn’t get it, and will believe anything.

Will this ultimately bring down the game? Hard to say. I personally think they vastly underestimated how much WvW created an extended community in the game by helping a person transcend his own guild. This was done by bringing players into nightly contact with hundreds of other players, outside their own guild — largely through Team Speak. This “extended community” made the game feel alive to me. Now, I feel like I’m eating in an empty restaurant, logging trees and mining iron.

I personally only stick around the game for the same reason that a person slows down when passing an auto accident: I don’t really want to look, but I just can help myself. I want to see how bad it can get. Childish of me, I know. But I’ve invested many thousands of hours in WvW….

(edited by Soon.5240)

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: Lola.4172

Lola.4172

I was a good customer of Anet, I work not grind and this is cheaper than the pub!

I dont have a problem paying for good entertainment, but I agree, Anet messed up on their business model 2 years ago, opted for PvE grind and Esports … and here we are.
Stating the obvious but, 3 years is a long time in MMO land and we worked those maps to death, playing something completely different to what they had in mind.

I believe John Corping had a good look and at how to ‘fix’ it, and maybe there wasn’t enough future for WvW to justify investing. Wrong engine’s, DX sytem, Servers … QQ
Somethings dont patch, and going on the lag problems DC’s and bs, maybe they just cant ‘fix’ it.

I just emptied 2 years worth of mats in to the guild upgrades and then realized I dont want to go get some more. New maps are .. exactly the same layout as the old ones, more difficult to move around and understand, with layers of excruciatingly expensive upgrades.

Final straw for me .. the builds got so complicated, everyone just copys the meta and mashes rotations and no, I will not be investing months of my free time, on Legendary amour. Tuesdays patch wont even scratch the problems of WvW, and PPK wont help now either.

Ill be back to check it out (no you cant have my stuff), I made a lot of friends here and good times and really good fights

TY

RAZZ
mezmebaby

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

a lot of the times it sounds like players just want an open space to have large scale fights in? Am I incorrect in this?

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: Lola.4172

Lola.4172

yup

couple of choke point dont hurt , and something to defend / attack

cant think of anything else ?

RAZZ
mezmebaby

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

ncsoft is not to blame. all they do is own anet, they dont make any decisions regarding the stuff youre mad at. you can stop crediting them.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: Mogrey.3891

Mogrey.3891

myself dont have any problem with the new maps (tho it was an unnecessary change). but wvw lacks rewards. people still playing wvw because they made friends there and is fun but there’s no motivation for a new player to come and test this mode. and some old ones are so tired of this unrewarded mode

i’m a poor and lonesome ranger.
Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Noob.5908

a lot of the times it sounds like players just want an open space to have large scale fights in? Am I incorrect in this?

It’s not complicated but no it’s not just an open space for large fights. WVW’ers want AI removed from WVW and maps that are easy to navigate as to get to the action quickly and yet are visually stimulating. We want guild housing or personal housing that isn’t complicated and held back by tons of grinding and is fair to all players not just large guilds. WVW is more than just large fights that’s just one small aspect of it. We want things to work towards in WVW like custom siege skins or gizmos, tower skins and/or decorations and better notification to the guilds that own assets so they can defend. We want population balanced in match-ups and match-ups that change often so we are not fighting the same people week after week. That’s the nutshell short version, nothing that Anet couldn’t do fairly easy.

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Noob.5908

ncsoft is not to blame. all they do is own anet, they dont make any decisions regarding the stuff youre mad at. you can stop crediting them.

If you think NcSoft doesn’t control Anet you are wrong. NcSoft is a publicly traded company and the revenue streams and profits is what drives stock prices. NcSoft stock holders would bail in an instant if they ever felt NcSoft wasn’t watching over their assets diligently. GW2 is a game to us but it’s an investment to the owners and stock holders of NcSoft and they expect profits and growth or the asset gets sold off or shut down.

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: vana.5467

vana.5467

Not really.
Some of us would be able to enjoy that, but a lot of people would get bored with it quickly. WvW needs to be centered around fights, but there also needs to be something to fight over. The structures work fine for this purpose as long as there’s some incentive to keep them.
The problem is, no one has cared about “winning” a matchup for years. What drove defense in the old borderland was not PPT, but ego and a sense of possession. Your borderland was designed to be owned by you, and the reward for defending and taking structures was entirely psychological.

The new borderland splits your 3rd between three maps thanks to the waypoint system. Literally no effort goes into upgrading keeps, so there’s no sense of loss when they’re flipped. Upgrading them also doesn’t give any real advantage anymore (again thanks to the waypoint system). Towers are entirely useless because they no longer serve a strategic benefit like the ones in Alpine did.

While I do think the design of the desert map is atrocious – it’s too complex, there are too many chokes and narrow corridors, travel time is too long, too hard to find other groups – I also think it would have been much better received had it launched with the old upgrade system and the same layout of structures as Alpine (keeps treb-able from towers).

That said, it’s way too late now. The desert borderlands require more people than Alpine to man effectively (not as suitable for map hopping due to the long travel times), and with the dwindling population it’s not realistic to get that many people on anymore.

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Not really.
Some of us would be able to enjoy that, but a lot of people would get bored with it quickly. WvW needs to be centered around fights, but there also needs to be something to fight over. The structures work fine for this purpose as long as there’s some incentive to keep them.
The problem is, no one has cared about “winning” a matchup for years. What drove defense in the old borderland was not PPT, but ego and a sense of possession. Your borderland was designed to be owned by you, and the reward for defending and taking structures was entirely psychological.

The new borderland splits your 3rd between three maps thanks to the waypoint system. Literally no effort goes into upgrading keeps, so there’s no sense of loss when they’re flipped. Upgrading them also doesn’t give any real advantage anymore (again thanks to the waypoint system). Towers are entirely useless because they no longer serve a strategic benefit like the ones in Alpine did.

While I do think the design of the desert map is atrocious – it’s too complex, there are too many chokes and narrow corridors, travel time is too long, too hard to find other groups – I also think it would have been much better received had it launched with the old upgrade system and the same layout of structures as Alpine (keeps treb-able from towers).

That said, it’s way too late now. The desert borderlands require more people than Alpine to man effectively (not as suitable for map hopping due to the long travel times), and with the dwindling population it’s not realistic to get that many people on anymore.

dragonbrand seems to care deeply about winning matchups.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

dragonbrand seems to care deeply about winning matchups.

Yaks Bend as well.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Tuesday's WVW Update

in WvW

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

It’s not complicated but no it’s not just an open space for large fights. WVW’ers want AI removed from WVW and maps that are easy to navigate as to get to the action quickly and yet are visually stimulating. We want guild housing or personal housing that isn’t complicated and held back by tons of grinding and is fair to all players not just large guilds. WVW is more than just large fights that’s just one small aspect of it. We want things to work towards in WVW like custom siege skins or gizmos, tower skins and/or decorations and better notification to the guilds that own assets so they can defend. We want population balanced in match-ups and match-ups that change often so we are not fighting the same people week after week. That’s the nutshell short version, nothing that Anet couldn’t do fairly easy.

^ this × 1 billion!