Two WvW issues

Two WvW issues

in WvW

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

My opinions on these are as follows,

(1) Players can only report at best – but the rest stands on ANET.

(2) By logging out, it is possible to prevent armor from being damaged and hence this saves some coin. Player’s wouldn’t have logged out if the repair costs were eliminated or toned down significantly. On the other hand, if ANET fixes it by making sure you still get armor damage even if you logged out just before death occurs, and the winner getting his loot – the incentive to log-out wouldn’t exist.

Been there, done that. What’s next?

(edited by mage.3570)

Two WvW issues

in WvW

Posted by: Karew.2169

Karew.2169

Player’s wouldn’t have logged out if the repair costs were eliminated or toned down significantly.

This is partially true, but I think most WvW players would continue to be jerks anyway even if there was no cost. Your character should remain in the world for around 5 extra seconds after a disconnect.

Two WvW issues

in WvW

Posted by: Lynx Raven Raide.2764

Lynx Raven Raide.2764

(2) By logging out, it is possible to prevent armor from being damaged and hence this saves some coin. Player’s wouldn’t have logged out if the repair costs were eliminated or toned down significantly. On the other hand, if ANET fixes it by making sure you still get armor damage even if you logged out just before death occurs, and the winner getting his loot – the incentive to log-out wouldn’t exist.

I do believe there is also a trolling issue with this as well, as I have seen instances where the same person will go up to the same group and do it over and over. I do agree though that the armour damage and loot drop after logging would be a disincentive, but I do agree with Karew in that there should be a delay, or as I proposed a deserter debuff like in Guild Wars 2 (it stopped players who logged/quit out in the middle of matches heading south from going into PvP for a certain amount of time), as being denied access would be just as much a disincentive.

Mad Aussie Bastard

Two WvW issues

in WvW

Posted by: Ctarl.3629

Ctarl.3629

Armor damage in a (semi) PvP environment is a very counterproductive mechanic. You are indirectly forced to abandon fights early or otherwise prevent death. On a level 80 character repairing just one piece of armor costs around one and a half silver. That’s more than you’ll get in drops in the first few (small) fights in WvW. It’s discouraging to potentially lose money in an activity that should be about strategy and cooperating with teammates. Especially if you include the money for siege equipment.

I know I have logged out during a fight at least once. The reason was a Zerg mob of enemy players that suddenly appeared right in front of me. I should have been able to see them much sooner but the game handles huge amounts of players/enemies very badly(1). I felt cheated and was quite frankly mad as hell at the game. I didn’t even log in again afterwards (the WvW queue wouldn’t have let me in for quite a while anyway).

(1) The “pop-in” of enemies is a huge problem in PvE as well. Doing events in Orr I regularly am unable to see the enemies at all. The players around me seemingly attack fresh air and sometimes I just barely see the red enemy names appearing as the mob falls down. I get almost no XP up to the usual boss fight because I can’t do enough damage to enemies before they die. Even more problematic is that I am sometimes attacked by fresh air and unable to defend myself.

Two WvW issues

in WvW

Posted by: Lynx Raven Raide.2764

Lynx Raven Raide.2764

@Ctarl: I would check your internet settings and your computer there for the “pop-in” cause it either seems like lag or your settings that are causing that if you get it in both WvW and in normal PvE

But on your other point, it is easy to make money in this game, even in WvW. If you are just standing around, waiting for a fight, I would suggest sPvP. Otherwise, there is gathering you can do, AI enemies you can kill easily for loot, items can be salvaged and the materials sold on the trading post, or if you are that way inclined you could buy gems and convert to gold. The first half of my opening post is proof of it (bot farmers in the WvW lakes getting scales off the krait). If you can’t be bothered doing any of that, then really it is your own fault for not having enough money. It shouldn’t be used as an excuse to reap the rewards of defeating enemy players whilst logging out and denying them the same

Mad Aussie Bastard