Upcoming Commander changes - any details yet?

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

“Colin: Modifications to the commander book are coming, with more features. Will remain character bound

Twitter link: https://twitter.com/DragonSeasonCom/status/304238508007108609

First of all, anyone hear of what the “modifications” are? And does “are coming” mean the WvW patch in March or later this year? I read a couple weeks back that they have no plans to change the commander system “anytime soon”. Not sure if they changed their minds for March.

I sure hope they allow the commander to “hide the pin” while still retaining all the functions of a squad. This would create the ability for guilds and players to create private squads of multiple groups for WvW and the new guild missions. Sometimes you just don’t want the pin up and invite every single person in the zone to your guild events, but you still want to keep the squad intact.

Currently if you hide the pin it dissolves and disbands the squad.

Post any info you find here guys!

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

(edited by Ahmrill.7512)

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

That would be a great idea.

I would also like commanders to have the ability to unclaim towers/keeps/camps. That way guilds who actually can provide buffs can claim them.

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

Would still love to hear if any Commander and Squad changes are planned for the march update.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

Bumping this once… hoping someone heard something new!

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Demonbox.4703

Demonbox.4703

I would also like commanders to have the ability to unclaim towers/keeps/camps. That way guilds who actually can provide buffs can claim them.

No, no and again no
“ehi look at me i ran so many dungeons i can afford that commander thingy!”
“oh look this tower is nice, i want to claim it”
etc…

There should be NO way to unclaim something claimed by someone else, not until the commander badges r handled differently (and not just paid for)

This is my POV, from a guild that always claims, always upgrade (not just her tower), always take care of the tower/fort/keep , and run yaks if need be… there r too many noob commanders around to give’em such power

Lidia Stoneheim [Warp]
Ring of Fire

(edited by Demonbox.4703)

in WvW

Posted by: Tetra Bug.7134

Tetra Bug.7134

how about squad orders appearing on the map? like your squad can see when you put a shield symbol on a spot meaning defend or some swords meaning attack. that would make perfect sense and help PUGs

Ur Kel – Warrior
AR → EB → DB → Maguuma
Arkham – [Ark]

in WvW

Posted by: Ziggy Stardust.3840

Ziggy Stardust.3840

Two very simple mainly graphic changes

1 more colors are available for the commander icon
2 allow players in a squad to see the other commanders on the map.

Now in crowded times you either have to choose between seeing one commander or multiple blue ones.

in WvW

Posted by: fab.3298

fab.3298

They should make it so that anyone can take your claim to a tower if you don’t have and buffs running. It’s horrible having a guild claim an important keep and not put up buffs when there’s a dozen other guilds willing to.

Fab The Guardian
[Re] Rerolled

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

As a member of a non-WvW active guild who plays WvW a lot, it doesn’t take long to figure out who the commanders are by name whether they have a tag on or not. Plus it’s easy to determine which commanders are worth following or not.

In fact the other day we were running around the map without a commander icon but were still acting as an organized group.

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

As a member of a non-WvW active guild who plays WvW a lot, it doesn’t take long to figure out who the commanders are by name whether they have a tag on or not. Plus it’s easy to determine which commanders are worth following or not.

Well the problem is some of the people being viewed as “bad” commanders are actually not even trying to lead as a commander. They are simply using the commander and squad system to coordinate multiple groups better in WvW.

Until we have some changes that allow multiple groups to coordinate better in game this will keep happening. Still looking for details and hoping they allow commanders to hide the pin while still retaining the functions of a squad.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Dutchares.6084

Dutchares.6084

-A commander tag can be earned as a guild group event in wvw.

-A commander with less then 5 people in the squad will not be shown on the map.

-A commander with less then 15 people in the squad will be a lieutenant and get a special mark on the map.

-Because we want people to spread out more in the borders, the commander tag will be not be shown on the map, if there are more then 30 allies near the commander.

-The max size of a squad will be 30 people.

-Squad members of a commander get a 90 thoughness and 90 Vitality buff when there are not more then 30 allies near the commander. If the commander and his squad battle a force bigger then 55 enemies, the buffs will change into a 270 thoughness and 270 vitality buff.(only works in there are less then 30 allies near the commander)
-Squad members of a lieutenant get a 90 thoughness and 90 Vitality buff when there are not more then 30 allies near the lieutenant . If the lieutenant and his squad battle a force bigger then 35 enemies, the buffs will change into a 270 thoughness and 270 vitality buff.(only works in there are less then 15 allies near the lieutenant )

-A squad will get a 5 minute swiftness buff for squad members only, every 30 minutes. This swiftness boon only works in none combat, being hit will mean the whole squad will loose the swiftness boon. So staying on roads with only friendly verteran guardians will be a good way to keep the boon active.

-Also the commander get an ability to transfer the whole squad at the same time to a waypoint. Ofcourse this also only works out of combat.

-A lieutenant and his squad can pick up 25% more supplies as long their are less then 16 allies at the supply depot.

-Commanders can chose to make the tag on the map invisible to none commanders. (only commanders and squad members can see). While being invisible all squadmembers close to the commander will be invisible for allies not being in the squad or not being a commander with more then 5 people inside the quad. (allies only so enemies still can see)

-when entering a border you will see a list of all commanders still recruiting and the number of people already in the squad. Next to this a commander can chose what kinda objectives he will be focusing on like defending, taking camps, taking towers etc.. that will be shown.

(edited by Dutchares.6084)

in WvW

Posted by: SchuMidas.4782

SchuMidas.4782

sound awesome.
is this true ?

SchuMidas – Guardian
Guild Pro Baddies [Pro] @ Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Dutchares.6084

sound awesome.
is this true ?

lol no sorry, ofcourse not.
It was what i would change.

in WvW

Posted by: Dalure.4691

Dalure.4691

Bump:)

Arenanet check this out….i like it make zergs less desirable

WvW Commander of Piken Square
Guild: ForsakenGamers (FG)

in WvW

Posted by: arutayro.9764

arutayro.9764

why do you want to take away the commanders tag when more then 30 ppl is around him? what about defending a keep or going for SM?

[pwny] Lynshin
Lvl 80 Mesmer
Whitesideridge

in WvW

Posted by: Dalure.4691

Dalure.4691

I like the idea of a buff with a commander under 30. Especially if you are up against a zerg double your numbers.

Edit: So commanders tag will stay…hope they will change that you can hide it for none guildies while still actief for guildies, but that would be it.

WvW Commander of Piken Square
Guild: ForsakenGamers (FG)

(edited by Dalure.4691)

in WvW

Dutchares.6084

why do you want to take away the commanders tag when more then 30 ppl is around him? what about defending a keep or going for SM?

To spead out people more over the zone.. to make wvw less about who has biggest zerg but more about who can organise different groups more over the map.

Ofcourse taking keeps especialy SM both armies will have more then 30 people.. so more then 1 squad attacking at the same time.. so buffs wont work on both forces.. or they have to spread out to attack the outer wall on 2 different locations. Only grouping up at the inner (so more tactics and teamwork between squads to make good use of forces(squads) and when to try and hold on your own with the squad using the buffs, So how do you counter different squads working together to take a keep? try to send 1 squad to counter it with help of their buffs? or send more squads?)

(edited by Dutchares.6084)

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

I realize that a new grouping system or massive changes to the C&S system will require dev resources and time. I think in the short term I’d simply be happy if they could allow us to “hide” the commander pin AND still retain all the functions of a squad.

This small change still allows people to be commanders if they choose, but they can now have a way for private guild groups or multiple havoc groups to coordinate better. It allows us to form a squad depending on how many guild members are on, or what we actually enjoy doing. It gives us flexibility.

I love some of the other detailed suggestions you guys had. I’m going to shoot for a small change first though… as I think that’s more likely to be modified.

Still waiting to hear any news about this.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

if that happens, the commander book should be made alot more expensive to prevent random kiddos becoming major griefers.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

if that happens, the commander book should be made alot more expensive to prevent random kiddos becoming major griefers.

Not sure about having commander able to claim or unclaim other guilds keep/tower/camps. To much room for griefing or new commanders doing something dumb.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Ahmrill.7512

Still no links or info yet? I’m getting different devs saying changes are coming, but not saying if it’s anytime soon.

Ahmrill
Jade Quarry