Upleveling: useless?

in WvW

Posted by: Heatsink.5794

Heatsink.5794

I haven’t leveled a character up and run the WvW maps in awhile, but I’m finding upleveling to be an absolute joke. What is the point of upleveling when it doesn’t put the character on remotely even footing with enemy players? Is it just to have warm bodies to be targets on the maps?

I remember this feature being emphasized when I paid for Guild Wars 2, but it does not work as advertised. The upleveled character has an elevated HP pool, but does a tenth of the damage needed to survive on a WvW map.

in WvW

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

More… warm… bodies… pllleaaasse uraahhh, waha, hahaaa!

in WvW

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

downleveling is most of what they advertised, i believe. I don’t remember hearing anything about upleveling until after i got the game, personally

there’s only so much they can do. it’s better than no upleveling at all. even a level 80 in green gear will get slaughtered by a level 80 in exotics (unless the latter was just really sucky).

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in WvW

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

They likely did upleveling so that people wouldn’t feel left out. They didn’t make it so people would have equal footing likely because then it reduces the need to level. All speculation of course.

in WvW

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Uplevelling in WvW isn’t so bad, except against high burst opponents. Any thief is going to make you a priority target, for example.

The only adjustment I would make Is to improve the amount of toughness that the uplevelling process gives. I know, for example, that my killshots will hit for a significantly larger amount against an uplevel target and that suggests that their damage reduction is very poor.

Mostly, though, if you are uplevelled and run around with the main zerg of your force, you will probably be ok and able to contribute, so as a system its still fairly effective. It just needs some slight adjustment.

in WvW

Posted by: SFShinigami.2015

SFShinigami.2015

You should play around with your gear. You can get some very interesting stats from upleveling.

Jigglenaut/Numa Rar/Jakuho Raikoben/Tenel Ka Djo/Kurotsuchi Taichou [SF]/[LOVE]
All Hail CuddleStrike! Undisputed Empress of Tier 1!
Controlled by CuddleStrike!

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

A lot of new players try wvw in the first days with their first low lvl character and because the bad experiences they never come back. A pvp like character building would be better. Max lvl with max gears selectable stats and rock

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

A lot of new players try wvw in the first days with their first low lvl character and because the bad experiences they never come back. A pvp like character building would be better. Max lvl with max gears selectable stats and rock

Words of wisdom.

in WvW

Posted by: PattyCakeChamp.5268

PattyCakeChamp.5268

You should play around with your gear. You can get some very interesting stats from upleveling.

I think I have a s/s at home of my necro at lvl 5 in eotm with 35+k HP from guard stacks + lvl 2 gear.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Often these upleveled players don’t even use best possible gear, runes and jewelery. They use 10 level too low blue gear on without any jewelery and wonder why they are weak.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Ikaros.7219

Ikaros.7219

even if someone is upleveled theres still ways that they can help out. yea they might be weaker then a lvl 80 but it doesnt mean that they still cant do anything though.

“Raw overwhelming power. He who has it, rules. He who doesn’t, begs.”

in WvW

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Often these upleveled players don’t even use best possible gear, runes and jewelery. They use 10 level too low blue gear on without any jewelery and wonder why they are weak.

This off course. Nobody will upgrade all their gear every 10 levels.

Maybe it would help if you could equip level 80 gear when upleveled.