Use of the R word

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: AmberUK.5380

AmberUK.5380

Come on guys its 2017, and we are trying to get women gaming aren’t we? So is is the R word still used in WvW? I don’t see how it has a place in GW2 in 2017. Its not used often but its still about, please can it just go?

Thanks
A moo

We Asura are just the best
UW WvW player – TooT !

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

The block button is a fantastic function.

Use of the R word

in WvW

AmberUK.5380

R as you fully well know is for kitten

UW WvW player – TooT !

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Thanks that cleared it right up…

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Yeah I’m not a big fan of that and usually speak up. It’s so commonly used in gaming and with such little regard for what it really means … I know, wah wah, but for some people it’s a bad word (trigger in the truest sense).

Most of the players on my server are decent about not using it though. If your server is doing it and telling you to fart off, consider going to another server.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: TheOneWhoSighs.7513

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

Come on guys its 2017, and we are trying to get women gaming aren’t we?

I couldn’t possibly be more indifferent about this if I tried.

If women game, it’s whatever. If they don’t, it’s also whatever.

People that think we should treat them differently from everyone else are the real problem.

That would be you in case you’re not catching what I’m throwing there, buckaroo.

“Unused Development Initiative. We care so much
about your feedback, that we don’t even read it.” ~ Crystal Suzuki

Use of the R word

in WvW

AmberUK.5380

See even the forum doesn’t like it

UW WvW player – TooT !

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

Puck its the work we banned in tm and replaced with murdergore if that helps clear it up. I don’t want to say it and get an infraction for an inappropriate word. But it does rhyme with tape. I do wish people would be more respectful and not say it the word is not one to take lightly and not just for females. There are men that have had it happen to them as well. As much as I hate the word I have learned to just ignore it and move on. But I still cringe thinking of the people that it has happened to being forced to read it as an off hand joke.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Use of the R word

in WvW

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

being forced to read it as an off hand joke.

I too cringe at the idea of strapping a person to a chair, taping their eyelids open, using a holster to keep their head still, and forcing them to recite line for line jokes about the R word.

Thankfully that doesn’t generally happen, and it’s just some easily ignorable text on the bottom left of the screen that can even be turned off.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I too cringe at the idea of strapping a person to a chair, taping their eyelids open, using a holster to keep their head still, and forcing them to recite line for line jokes about the R word.

Thankfully that doesn’t generally happen, and it’s just some easily ignorable text on the bottom left of the screen that can even be turned off.

Yea, it’s pretty easy to ignore when it’s never happened to you.

For victims, unfortunately, that’s not really the case. You can’t block someone until after you’ve read that they posted it.

But really, why are people so kittening resistant to just not using this word? Is it really that big of a deal to people?

There’s lots of different people in this world. We’ve been through different circumstances, we have different perspectives, and we often react to things differently.

If the only thing you would need to do in order to prevent someone from unwillingly being reminded of a traumatic experience in their life is to just try not to reference sexual assault when you play a video game, is that such a big sacrifice?

And yea, there is a point where we can’t accommodate everything. We can’t anticipate everyone’s needs and there’s a limit to what we should be willing to change for ourselves vs what others need to change for themselves.

But is it really so bad to try and change this one little word? I mean, if it slips, it slips. Apologize if someone’s hurt and move on. This really doesn’t need to be some big deal.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

If somebody use r word you know that you are right.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: CrashTheGrey.1492

CrashTheGrey.1492

Shock value and degenerative humor are thoroughly entrenched in gaming culture. I think its hilariously ineffective to simply ask people to stop, but a censor could be used.

People can certainly set examples, but anonymity will always dictate some horrible things being said.

(edited by CrashTheGrey.1492)

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

The filter here evidently filters it, so I would imagine the in game profanity filter does as well?

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

Come on guys its 2017, and we are trying to get women gaming aren’t we? So is is the R word still used in WvW? I don’t see how it has a place in GW2 in 2017. Its not used often but its still about, please can it just go?

Thanks
A moo

How would that word keep women away from gaming? How would it keep anyone away who actually wants to play regardless of the gender? If you cant stand insults, go play Hearthstone. If you dont block that person because you feel offended by the usage of a word, its your fault.
Maybe try Anno 1404, way less insulting words there!

Use of the R word

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Thanks
A moo

How would that word keep women away from gaming? How would it keep anyone away who actually wants to play regardless of the gender? If you cant stand insults, go play Hearthstone. If you dont block that person because you feel offended by the usage of a word, its your fault.
Maybe try Anno 1404, way less insulting words there!

Again, it goes back to “don’t be a kitten.”

In fact, that works well for all things in life.

If it bothers someone enough to have them speak up, respect the fact that it’s probably coming from a very dark place and pick another word.

But yes, you can always block the person. It’s the most effective way to enhancing your gaming fun.

Use of the R word

in WvW

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

Oh, look who’s making assumptions about people.

And it’s not even me.

You’re telling me to tip toe around victims that, frankly, might not even be there at the moment.

Because you don’t believe they have the mental strength to handle a joke.

You’re victimizing them twice with your condescending virtue signaling.

And believe me, that’s ALL you’re doing. Trying to appear virtuous over something that is so trivial to avoid a 5 year old could figure it out.

Hint: Don’t disable the in game profanity filter. Or just turn chat off altogether.

I actually recommend the latter, chat is often full of stupid people anyway.

(edited by TheOneWhoSighs.7513)

Use of the R word

in WvW

Dahkeus.8243

Oh, look who’s making assumptions about people.

And it’s not even me.

You’re telling me to tip toe around victims that, frankly, might not even be there at the moment.

Because you don’t believe they have the mental strength to handle a joke.

You’re victimizing them twice with your condescending virtue signaling.

And believe me, that’s ALL you’re doing. Trying to appear virtuous over something that is so trivial to avoid a 5 year old could figure it out.

Hint: Don’t disable the in game profanity filter. Or just turn chat off altogether.

I actually recommend the latter, chat is often full of stupid people anyway.

No, I think you may have misunderstood me.

I’m not saying that everyone who has been sexually assaulted handles it the same, nor that they are weak or anything of the sort.

My point is that people handle things differently. Some people have been assaulted, but have no problem with the r word or with jokes related to it. However, for some people, it has a very strong affect.

And to be affected in this way doesn’t mean that these people are weak or lack mental strength or anything like that.

We all have our breaking points. “Thick skin” is rarely as simple as the term implies. Some people handle stress and trauma by wearing a thick skin persona, but take out their anguish in other ways (drinking, outbursts at seemingly unrelated events, or simply by expressing this when alone). Other people may react more directly to things that remind them of their past.

And really, regardless of how someone handles this, they’re still just as deserving of respect and common decency regardless. Unless someone’s trying to harm you, why should they be treated them as any less of a person?

I also don’t mean this as any attack against you personally either. I guess I came across a bit snarky with that first sentence I use, so I apologize if that set me off on the wrong foot.

I don’t know you and I don’t know what you’ve been through. However, whether you’ve experienced anything like this or not doesn’t mean that you’re unable to have a valid opinion on the matter. I only ask that you take your own perspective as one of many available.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

I had to read 19 posts into this thread before realizing what the ‘r’ word everyone was referencing is. I am dense.

Anywho, yeah it’s poor character to be throwing those words around chat. No, its not going to stop. Turn your profanity filter back on, (it defaults to on, so you must’ve turned it off) and report people who are being particularly obtuse.

Not much else one can do.

edit- On a somewhat related note, I once silenced an entire teamspeak channel by cursing and using the ‘n’ word in the middle of a fight. It was a spur of the moment thing, I chose my words poorly, I haven’t done it since. Sometimes people are crude and insensitive without realizing how crude and insensitive they’re being.
People do need to realize that when they’re posing in map/team chat they’re speaking in mixed company.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

(edited by Kovu.7560)

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I am confused myself. I can only think of the term related to the word imbecille and idiot. But then, OP mentions girl gamers so I assume it must be a sexist word.

I am pretty proficient when it comes to calling people names and have been called many myself, but for that I say “report”

Maybe that’s the word

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Thanks
A moo

How about the C word and so many more? Death threats. More…

The threats and verbal abuses in GW2 are growing.

Exponentially.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

Again, it goes back to “don’t be a kitten.”

In fact, that works well for all things in life.

Testify, sister.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: radiantbliss.6875

radiantbliss.6875

Profanity filter. Fixed. Then you don’t have to worry. If it’s not good enough and more drastic measures are necessary, block.
If it’s teamspeak, then that is up to your moderators on whether or not they want to police that heavily. Expecting people to walk on eggshells based on the loose possibility of offending someone is a little much. Honestly I would have thought other R words would have been more offensive. Everyone has different sensitivities on a variety of subject matters. You can’t control the general public without it turning into some weird fascist state. As such, use the filter to save yourself the headache from the public, don’t join guilds whose personalities run directly opposed to your sensitivities.

Blackgate
[KiS] Kinetic Storm

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Profanity filter. Fixed. Then you don’t have to worry. If it’s not good enough and more drastic measures are necessary, block.
If it’s teamspeak, then that is up to your moderators on whether or not they want to police that heavily. Expecting people to walk on eggshells based on the loose possibility of offending someone is a little much. Honestly I would have thought other R words would have been more offensive. Everyone has different sensitivities on a variety of subject matters. You can’t control the general public without it turning into some weird fascist state. As such, use the filter to save yourself the headache from the public, don’t join guilds whose personalities run directly opposed to your sensitivities.

The profanity filter does nothing if the person is good at their language.

1. Blocking might work, but then you’d have several issues:

2. The block is one way – so what others to damage your rep u tation (can’t say that word in game so I am going to break up here too, to emphasize some words are not supposed to be blocked at all) can be going on without your knowledge after any block

2. You must also block all the whisperers who are the troll’s ‘friends’

3. Block parties are not fun and they aren’t fixing the causes of nastiness in the game.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

This legitimately made my night…

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Legit had no clue about what you were talking about till Xikira explained, thought you meant the r word for someone who is a bit slow.

Also, I find the OPs viewpoint and many others here shameful in turning it almost exclusively into a female perspective only, it is not something that only happens to women. Just like domestic abuse is becoming more and more common against men yet is typically portrayed as something that happens to women.

Before someone jumps down my throat, no I don’t condone the behaviours being talked about by any gender and/or those who identify as apache helicopters against any other gender and/or those who identify as apache helicopters.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Legit had no clue about what you were talking about till Xikira explained, thought you meant the r word for someone who is a bit slow.

Also, I find the OPs viewpoint and many others here shameful in turning it almost exclusively into a female perspective only, it is not something that only happens to women. Just like domestic abuse is becoming more and more common against men yet is typically portrayed as something that happens to women.

Before someone jumps down my throat, no I don’t condone the behaviours being talked about by any gender and/or those who identify as apache helicopters against any other gender and/or those who identify as apache helicopters.

To be fair, I’d feel this way if any gender took offense. Yes, certainly have resiliency, but if it’s upsetting someone to have a word used, respect their experience and use another word.

Thankfully we are blessed with a sizeable vocabulary.

Use of the R word

in WvW

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

Does it really matter if it makes sense to you? Is it really as hard to try and not use that word as it is to eliminate all references to guns and knives?

Yes, actually. In fact, it’s harder.
You can’t get rid of a word on the internet.

The internet is a mosh pit. You’re trying to cordon off a section of that mosh pit and say “You’re not allowed to mosh here”.

For that, I wish you good luck.

Personally, I’ma keep moshing. And if you get bumped into, you knew the risks.

However, if someone in the mosh pit goes out of their way after bumping into you to attack you, feel free to call the authorities.

Nobody likes moshing with those types anyway.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Who would have thought PvP wouldn’t be a safe space?
HOW WERE WE TO KNOW?

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

I’m ashamed I thought of all kinds of R words except the one that was supposed to be it.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Well to be fair the greater community of professional comedians put this particular thought-policing concept to bed a good while back.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Just turn on the chat filter lol

It’s not even literal r. It’s slang, like rekt or owned, but a bit harsher worded.

Also it’s not anti-woman, since men can be r as well, just look at what US prisons are known for.

And no we aren’t trying to get women into gaming.

So just deal with it, ignore it, go on with your day. We all do. I don’t like it either.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

I have 2 comments about this, not that i condone saying the R word or that its funny.

1) if you ban people from saying certain words and stifle their ability to express themselves, they will come up with new words which mean the exact same thing.

2) I’ve seen endless amounts of people use the word “cancer” (in fact its not even blocked by the chat filter) just as much as the R-word, jokingly, and yet everyone who is offended by the R-word seems extremely dismissive of referring to something or someone as being “cancer.” Cancer is a word which evokes all sorts of horrible memories for lots of people, (most likely for more people then the R-word) so censorship of the R-word in light of this does feel hypocritical.

aka. “The Complainer”

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: radiantbliss.6875

radiantbliss.6875

2. The block is one way – so what others to damage your rep u tation (can’t say that word in game so I am going to break up here too, to emphasize some words are not supposed to be blocked at all) can be going on without your knowledge after any block

3. Block parties are not fun and they aren’t fixing the causes of nastiness in the game.

Good at their language? We are directly talking about ONE word. A word. The R word. So yes a profanity filter can and will work. Talking about the subject directly means that more than that word is being said. As such, then you block them. Not “I’m going to block you”, just do it. Block. Done. They likely won’t know. Won’t care. You start a fight about it in map chat….that is the only time you’re going to run into the issue you described in #2. As such you report those individuals for harassment. End of story. Don’t engage. Trolls shrivel up and die when you ignore them because the entire point of trolling is to cause a reaction. Don’t give them a reaction they will get bored and move on to someone else.
As for reputation. LOL. Reputation. Please. Who cares what a bunch of strangers thinks of you? You have your guild. Your friends. Leave it at that. You can’t please everyone. Not everyone is going to like you. Settle for having friends that do. And real friends won’t be swayed by trolls spreading nonsense. Let people say what they are going to say.
Nasty people will always be nasty. The more energy you give them the more they feed on it. Just go, have fun. Filter the negative out and move on…..

Blackgate
[KiS] Kinetic Storm

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Good at their language? We are directly talking about ONE word. A word. The R word. So yes a profanity filter can and will work. Talking about the subject directly means that more than that word is being said. As such, then you block them. Not “I’m going to block you”, just do it. Block. Done. They likely won’t know. Won’t care. You start a fight about it in map chat….that is the only time you’re going to run into the issue you described in #2. As such you report those individuals for harassment. End of story. Don’t engage. Trolls shrivel up and die when you ignore them because the entire point of trolling is to cause a reaction. Don’t give them a reaction they will get bored and move on to someone else.
As for reputation. LOL. Reputation. Please. Who cares what a bunch of strangers thinks of you? You have your guild. Your friends. Leave it at that. You can’t please everyone. Not everyone is going to like you. Settle for having friends that do. And real friends won’t be swayed by trolls spreading nonsense. Let people say what they are going to say.
Nasty people will always be nasty. The more energy you give them the more they feed on it. Just go, have fun. Filter the negative out and move on…..

wow, I know a few who could use to take that advice.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

not that i tend to pick that particular word as there are more colorful ways of describing the roflstomping i do upon my foes (heh thats a good R word innit?) but arent we being just a bit too sheltered? GUYS WORDS HURT. dude its the internet. its nothing but words. unless its something direct like a threat against you who cares what words are used? what is it HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED up in here?

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

hey can someone throw me a bone and tell me what R word is being referred to here? kitten censoring.

gaem not made for mi
===========

Use of the R word

in WvW

apharma.3741

hey can someone throw me a bone and tell me what R word is being referred to here? kitten censoring.

Violating someone in a very personal manner.

(edited by apharma.3741)

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

If people get triggered over this word in a game then that’s your problem. I don’t agree with name calling but as you said it’s 2017, grow a back bone and toughen up lol

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Use of the R word

in WvW

apharma.3741

To be fair, I’d feel this way if any gender took offense. Yes, certainly have resiliency, but if it’s upsetting someone to have a word used, respect their experience and use another word.

Thankfully we are blessed with a sizeable vocabulary.

Yes I think a lot of people use words without having seen the full meaning first hand. Like those that call something in the game cancer. I’ve known and helped treat many with cancer, it isn’t funny and there’s nothing worse for me than having to give out certain prescriptions knowing full well the person isn’t going to be around long and for the loved ones to ask what’s it for.

Having said that the game has a profanity filter which is probably on by default so either the OP disabled it in which case they wanted to see/use other words that others might find offensive most likely. I believe this person doesn’t have a thick skin and that’s a nice way of putting it, I would suggest they put on the profanity filter and live a happy blissful life on GW2.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Razi.6031

Razi.6031

I don’t get what all the fuss is about anyways. And even by defining them as “girl gamers” is idiotic. There’s just gamers full stop!

I don’t see the problem with the use of the word anyways.. I constantly use it with friends on chat and ts to describe what has happened to me when I get ganked by a pack of thieves .

If you can’t handle words, you have way bigger problems than just playing a video game. Grow up! It’s soon 2018 after all

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I don’t get what all the fuss is about anyways. And even by defining them as “girl gamers” is idiotic. There’s just gamers full stop!

People always trying to place labels… we can’t possibly know what gender they identify with until we see which bathroom they decide to use that day. Get woke people!

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Use of the R word

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I’ve known and helped treat many with cancer, it isn’t funny and there’s nothing worse for me than having to give out certain prescriptions knowing full well the person isn’t going to be around long and for the loved ones to ask what’s it for.

Having dealt with your equivalent over here in the past month(s), if nobody has told you recently, thank you for what you do. It does make a huge difference to the family.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: trailofsalt.6571

trailofsalt.6571

This is a really strange thread for a game forum. The game has a block feature which one can use to hide the text of anyone they feel threatens to ruin their game experience.

I smash “1” for greatness… (òÓ,)

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

I don’t know why this thread is still running seeing as Jayne already summed it up with the “don’t be a kitten” rule.

Perhaps the only thing to add is that people should also remember the, “some people will be kittens” principle, and navigate through life accordingly.

The issue raised by the OP won’t be addressed through a technical fix beyond what already exists in the game.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

Because you can totally get away with blocking a commander on TS. I sure hope you know exactly what he’s going to do, because any commander who says “kitten” is going to kick you immediately as soon as he sees that you are not listening. kittens tend to be like that.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

Here we go, the perfect solution. Pls enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Use of the R word

in WvW

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

Because you can totally get away with blocking a commander on TS. I sure hope you know exactly what he’s going to do, because any commander who says “kitten” is going to kick you immediately as soon as he sees that you are not listening. kittens tend to be like that.

Genuine question.

If the word bothers you that much, would you really want to follow a commander that says it?

Seriously, I’m on HoD and I have like, 1/4th of that server blocked.

Not because they offend me, but because so many of them blow smoke out your kitten

And trust me, that block list includes commanders.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Dahkeus.8243

Does it really matter if it makes sense to you? Is it really as hard to try and not use that word as it is to eliminate all references to guns and knives?

The internet is a mosh pit. You’re trying to cordon off a section of that mosh pit and say “You’re not allowed to mosh here”.

However, if someone in the mosh pit goes out of their way after bumping into you to attack you, feel free to call the authorities.

You don’t need to erase the word from the internet. It’s really just asking individuals to refrain from using the word when talking to groups of people that could involve those who are affected by it.

You’ll never stop everyone from using the word everywhere. I mean, people still use the N word and it’s 2017. However, we’ve reduced the use of that word a lot.

There seems to be this mentality that if you can’t make everything absolutely perfect anywhere, then there’s no point in doing anything. However, this is about making things better, not perfect.

Sure, there’s trolls out there who don’t give a kitten about anyone but themselves. There’s people out there who will choose whatever rationality is most convenient for their own personal experiences and perspectives.

But there’s also people out there who are open to seeing the world through more than just their own perspective. It’s those people that this message is intended for. It’s because good intentions only go so far without experience and knowledge to guide those good intentions to result in good outcomes.

Use of the R word

in WvW

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

You don’t need to erase the word from the internet. It’s really just asking individuals to refrain from using the word when talking to groups of people that could involve those who are affected by it.

You’ll never stop everyone from using the word everywhere. I mean, people still use the N word and it’s 2017. However, we’ve reduced the use of that word a lot.

There seems to be this mentality that if you can’t make everything absolutely perfect anywhere, then there’s no point in doing anything. However, this is about making things better, not perfect.

Sure, there’s trolls out there who don’t give a kitten about anyone but themselves. There’s people out there who will choose whatever rationality is most convenient for their own personal experiences and perspectives.

But there’s also people out there who are open to seeing the world through more than just their own perspective. It’s those people that this message is intended for. It’s because good intentions only go so far without experience and knowledge to guide those good intentions to result in good outcomes.

Why tell people to refrain, when you could just cordon off a section where refraining is the rule?

I just won’t go to that section outside of accident, unless that section is taking up the whole mosh pit.

It’s really that simple. Screaming into the mosh pit, like this post is doing, literally does nothing.

As for the N word. Everyone. And I do mean EVERYONE still uses it.

We just say the N word instead of actually saying the word itself. We’ve effectively made that word into schrodinger’s cat at this point.

It exists, yet it doesn’t exist.

Use of the R word

in WvW

Dahkeus.8243

Why tell people to refrain, when you could just cordon off a section where refraining is the rule?

I just won’t go to that section outside of accident, unless that section is taking up the whole mosh pit.

Because people who have trouble with the r word can still enjoy video games and may actually want to interact with other people who enjoy video games too?

This isn’t some situation where all people that don’t like the R word are so allergic to it that they can’t be around any platform where it may be mentioned to any extent. It just sucks when it is said.

You keep making this comparison of people doing kittenty things in video games to mosh pits, but that logic doesn’t hold up. You don’t go into a mosh pit if you don’t want to get hit because the sole purpose of a mosh pit is for people to flail around wildly.

Video games, and for a more specific example, WvW, aren’t designed to be places where people talk kitten to each other. Sure, it happens sometimes, but that’s not directly tied to the experience they are based on.

And sure, there will always be trolls who will explicity aim to be as offensive as possible that will use places like video games as their outlet. No one expects that to ever go away.

However, all kinds of people PvP, kittens and gentlemen alike. Talking about this subject won’t solve the issue, but if a few people can listen and think to themselves “Hmm, maybe if I say ‘I kittening owned them’ instead of ‘I kittening r-ed them’, then I can still express myself without making someone else’s experience suck.”, then that’s the whole point of this.