Utterly unplayable skill lag in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

If it wasn’t for queues whenever you want to swop toons whenever this terrible lag happens I’d switch to my staff spammer guardian for these fights- don’t need the heal button as regen takes care of that and I can still use an aoe and run around killing all the soft targets who can’t use any of their decent damage skills and can’t use thier heal buttons…

ANet needs to invest in some much better servers for wvw – maybe ditch the left over Pentium 2’s they are currently running it on and buy something a little more up to date?

Processing power really should NOT be an issue, unless you really just don’t care.

If you think about all of the calculations being done at the same time in a 60 vs 60 fight… it’s a LOT. IMO the better solution is to just make these 60 vs 60 cluster kitten fights disadvantageous vs advantageous as they are now.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a lot or not. They designed the game as it was, took our money, so it’s their job to make it work. If it means investing in more calculation power, they should invest. It’s just that plain and simple.

The fact that they are not investing tells me that WvW players don’t buy stuff from the gem store and are thus regarded second class citizens.

But… they already have our money… and PvE doesn’t require as many resources and pays better…

Seriously though… something needs to be done one way or the other. As a buisness the smart thing would be to just fix the reason the players are causing these problems > massively upgrade the servers which would cost them more. You’re right in principal, but the reality of the situation from their POV winds up being different : /

But when you seriously start to think about it, it would take pretty much a complete redesign of the whole WvW to make running in a zergball unattractive. Now that, if anything, would eat up resources.

The BEST solution would be to tune their netcode and how they communicate AoE ticks, stacks and conditions. Obviously direct attacks cannot be tuned much because of the dodge mechanic, but lots of other calculations could be simplified a ton to make the load on the servers lighter.

They said they wanted to make zergs less attractive for gameplay reasons anyways (idk if they are sticking with that or not). I’m all for whatever method reduces lag the best while not being massively expensive though (just because the higher the cost the lower chance it’ll actually get done).

Saying they want to do it and figuring a way to do that are two completely different things. It’s one of those things that are a lot easier said than done.

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i am even lagging in LA wtf?!

in WvW

Posted by: lmaogg.7325

lmaogg.7325

Anet’s getting sloppy… its time they upgrade their server, t1/2 is just spamming of 1 and hope for 1 attack to even happen.

in WvW

Posted by: Discordia.7293

Discordia.7293

Why have update weapons, professions or wvw if I can not play? I paid and can not play as it should, is this correct? I feel cheated.

Thief rank 80 – I hate overpower condition duration in wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

The only good thing about skill lag is my mist form lasts much longer than it actually should

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

i think i killed my heal button in todays skillag fest….1.oi

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Tonight things are worst that they have EVER been

SOR+JQ+BG is unplayable in EB. Anywhere on the map skills are not firing. This is not acceptable anymore

On the plus side TC isn’t dealing with nearly the same amount of lag that we did last week

I agree the root problem is a serious problem and needed to be solved quite a while ago.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in WvW

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

It was unplayable today.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in WvW

Posted by: Opacus.4390

Opacus.4390

5 vs 7 frames dropped right away, skills also with a major delay. (normal empty borderland) Sinds last patch things become worse. Like stated before, would be nice to hear from Anet themself about there progress according this issue.

in WvW

Posted by: Joni.6830

Joni.6830

I am going to come back to Guild Wars 2 every once in a while to check if WvW is playable or if skill lag remains.

Until the point where I uninstall the game.

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

Tonight things are worst that they have EVER been

SOR+JQ+BG is unplayable in EB. Anywhere on the map skills are not firing. This is not acceptable anymore

On the plus side TC isn’t dealing with nearly the same amount of lag that we did last week

I agree the root problem is a serious problem and needed to be solved quite a while ago.

yeah i’ve noticed in or matchup that the skilllag has gotten worse.i used to never have that in t2. are they maybe trying out a new system?

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Atiar.5469

Atiar.5469

If it wasor queues whenever you want to swop toons whenever this terrible lag happens I’d switch to my staff spammer guardian for these fights- don’t need the heal button as regen takes care of that and I can still use an aoe and run around killing all the soft targets who can’t use any of their decent damage skills and can’t use thier heal buttons…

ANet needs to invest in some much better servers for wvw – maybe ditch the left over Pentium 2’s they are currently running it on and buy something a little more up to date?

Processing power really should NOT be an issue, unless you really just don’t care.

It will ALWAYS be an issue, even with subscription based games. Look at EVE online for example. They had to be ‘lagged’ out on purpose for the severs to cope.

I’m on SOS. I play wvw nearly everyday. I only get skill lagg very rarely. Even zerg v zerg in a keep doesn’t cause it.

(edited by Atiar.5469)

in WvW

Posted by: Joni.6830

Joni.6830

It will ALWAYS be an issue, even with subscription based games. Look at EVE online for example. They had to be ‘lagged’ out on purpose for the severs to cope.

I’m on SOS. I play wvw nearly everyday. I only get skill lagg very rarely. Even zerg v zerg in a keep doesn’t cause it.

I’m sorry but WvW is the main “endgame” component of Guild Wars 2. It is THE specially advertised GW2 game mode. And it is unplayable like this. It literally destroys the game mode on servers that aren’t dead.

Arena.net needs to recognise there is only one solution to this. And that is massive relocation of infrastructure resources to WvW. Especially Eternal Battlegrounds.

You can fault Blizzard for many things, but one thing they always did was facilitate optimal gaming experience by immediately addressing lag issues. Remember when WoW started and it was basically unplayable because the server infrastructure was far, far too little? Well, they made massive server investments and fixed it immediately.

I know WvW is very taxing on servers and so on. But this is your core game mode here. And it’s currently unplayable in the evenings. At least on EU.

Develop some kind of dynamic system where a “team” of very powerful servers can help servers that are at breaking point and stop the CPU bottleneck.

in WvW

Posted by: Grav.3568

Grav.3568

Transfer down, problem solved. No skill lag in my tier.

in WvW

Posted by: Grav.3568

Grav.3568

This does nothing to solve the problem as once you transfer down you also clog that server if it is at capacity. Further more why would someone lose their server pride, friends and guilds just to go to another server that will then also get skill lag?

Lol server pride. That hasn’t stopped half the entire game from transferring their way to tier 1 to date, now has it?

Oh well, I’ll just go back to enjoying my lag-free game then. Have fun with yours.

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

Lol server pride. That hasn’t stopped half the entire game from transferring their way to tier 1 to date, now has it?

Oh well, I’ll just go back to enjoying my lag-free game then. Have fun with yours.

Again…if we all transferred to YOUR server then you would then have the same problems we are having due to Anets hardware. Then what? transfer again is your next solution? Don’t you see that you recommend a band aid instead of addressing the issue?

Or you could transfer and spread out to different servers, or you could spread out on the map…
Yes there are problems, but they arn’t getting fixed any time soon. Until then you can work around it or deal with it. It sucks but that’s kinda the reality of the situation : /

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Drae.3189

Drae.3189

Its really too bad but if ANet doesn’t fix this issue they will go the way of all the other large scale battle games and die. I’ve been gaming for 15 years and gravitate toward large scale open world battle pvp… this is the exact reason all the other games like this failed. When the battles got really good, really big and complicated the hardware couldn’t handle it. Too bad, so sad…..NEXT!!

[GoF] Booty Kawl – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Transfer down, problem solved. No skill lag in my tier.

This does nothing to solve the problem as once you transfer down you also clog that server if it is at capacity. Further more why would someone lose their server pride, friends and guilds just to go to another server that will then also get skill lag?

What you are in fact suggesting is to go do PVE instead of WVW as transferring down does nothing to change the fact that once two blobs get in SM the whole map lags to hell. You “solution” is a band aid that does not change the fact that the hardware is not made to handle that content Anet themselves has designed.

WVW is the endgame of GW2. At the moment it is unplayable in the top servers and now Anet wants to bring LEAGUES? Really?

This is analogous to organizing a car race on a highway that only has one lane and potholes. When a skill takes 30 seconds to fire you know something is wrong with the game and this is a PR disaster waiting to happen. One viral video mocking the fact that wvw is unplayable would be enough to make people jump ship to another mmo or not be interested in trying the game.

How Anet is unable to see this is unbelieveable

Wish someone would sticky this.
Seriously.
Its been the same thing said over and over, to the same “move down idgaf” responses.

(edited by KingClash.3186)

in WvW

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Again…if we all transferred to YOUR server then you would then have the same problems we are having due to Anets hardware. Then what? transfer again is your next solution? Don’t you see that you recommend a band aid instead of addressing the issue?

Or you could transfer and spread out to different servers, or you could spread out on the map…
Yes there are problems, but they arn’t getting fixed any time soon. Until then you can work around it or deal with it. It sucks but that’s kinda the reality of the situation : /

I’ve seen tons of posts about massive skill lag as far down as T3-4 servers, spreading out T1 would only make the entire game worse skill lag wise.

They could I suppose lower the overall size limit on maps, and to compensate the rise in queues that would cause they could make the auto-boot afk system more aggressive as it stands right now I can afk for 10 mins and come back to still be standing in a tower, maybe 2-3 minutes of no key presses or clicks would do.

in WvW

Posted by: Spazzoni.1703

Spazzoni.1703

Playing in a pug zerg is not much fun. Playing in an organized guild group with 30-40 guild mates is tons of fun.

Breaking up the large groups is only a band-aid cover and not a fix. Just fix the kitten problem and large groups can zerg and roamers can complain about it without skill lag getting in the way.

Suicide Necro

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

I’ve seen tons of posts about massive skill lag as far down as T3-4 servers, spreading out T1 would only make the entire game worse skill lag wise.

They could I suppose lower the overall size limit on maps, and to compensate the rise in queues that would cause they could make the auto-boot afk system more aggressive as it stands right now I can afk for 10 mins and come back to still be standing in a tower, maybe 2-3 minutes of no key presses or clicks would do.

I havn’t noticed much lag unless there is a t1 server in t2 (sometimes in 3 way SM fights). You guys have massivly large balls of people… and that’s the main thing causing this issue. The more people in one area, the more calculations the server need to do as far as who gets hit etc. etc. etc.

I’ve never seen it get so lagged that even your 1 skill won’t work other than when TC got bumped up into T1. 3 way SM… yea I can’t heal in those some times, but like I said… it’s not nearly as common as it is in T1.

If you guys broke up your groups more you wouldn’t have this problem to this extent. Not telling you guys to do this… but that’s what’s causing the problem. I do agree that the servers should be good enough to handle this or they shouldn’t give so many advantages to balling up… but in the mean time if you want less lag you would need to develop/use different tactics.

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Buzzcrave.6197

Buzzcrave.6197

I had taken a break for a month and a half and came back today. I had hopes things would have improved somehow. I was disappointed.

JQ and FA just attacked SM… It was unplayable !

Sure one can move around and jump but that is it

- Could not swap weapons
- Could not cast anything but skill 1 (if lucky)
- Could not cast heals
- Could not cast any down state skills

Even skill 1 would show an animation but basically do nothing. WvW in SM is simply unplayable. People with escape skills due to lag are able to use such skills for 20+ seconds. You work on upgrading SM for hours only to have it taken in minutes due to blob creating skill lag. Not really motivating.

Can we expect any changes in the near future to fix this issue?
I am unwilling to spend any money on the game until this issue is fixed since I only play wvw.
Thanks in advance

Nothing will change. Skill lag will always be there for stacked servers fight. This is mainly due to Anet refuse to dish out more money to upgrade WvW servers. Just suck it up or transfer to lower tier servers.

in WvW

Tom Gore.4035

So we are just supposed to abandon our T3 keeps and garrisons and spread out? Just because ANets servers cannot handle their game?

Yeah GG.

We can also stop playing the game. That will also solve the skill lag.

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

If you guys broke up your groups more you wouldn’t have this problem to this extent. Not telling you guys to do this… but that’s what’s causing the problem. I do agree that the servers should be good enough to handle this or they shouldn’t give so many advantages to balling up… but in the mean time if you want less lag you would need to develop/use different tactics.

When you are fighting a blob of 40 to 60 players attacking in a single place, how are you supposed to defend with several small groups spread around the map? you can not, you have to rally where the attack is to counter it otherwise you lose your keeps/towers hence the spreading in smaller groups does not work.

I am very curious to see how the new map will behave as I can already see an even BIGGER zerg composed of 80 people and that zerg going from cap 1 to cap 3 and dropping 15 players at each cap and taking the remaning 40 to roam those 3 caps.

$10 says that lag will get worst with the new map. One of the reasons will of course be that the map will be queued all the time and saturated due to everybody wanting to play it

Don’t get me wrong man, if your opponent is doing that then you need to blob up too or avoid them. IMO they really dropped the ball by giving larger numbers more of an advantage (the rally/downed systems alone…).

But is being t1/2/whatever really a show of skill or meaningfull at all? No. There are many days when I wish TC was back in T3 because I could get a lot more roaming action and not as much run back to the zerg type players.

You might be able to make up the PPT if you broke up the groups and attacked multiple towers (etc.) at the same time though. But again… who cares about PPT…

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

There’s something different about the skill lag since the last patch.

The ‘standard’ skill lag I’ve experienced in the past stops most skills working but you can still move around more or less in real-time, dodge attacks etc. #1 skill generally works.

But this ‘new’ lag is more like a complete server shut-down for several seconds. The characters around you run into walls or keep repeating animations and NO skills work, not even #1. All sounds and particle effects stop.
Then there’s a sudden ‘catch-up’, all the toons rubber-band to new positions and you’re probably dead. Or worse, the system times out completely and you get a DC.

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

There’s something different about the skill lag since the last patch.

The ‘standard’ skill lag I’ve experienced in the past stops most skills working but you can still move around more or less in real-time, dodge attacks etc. #1 skill generally works.

But this ‘new’ lag is more like a complete server shut-down for several seconds. The characters around you run into walls or keep repeating animations and NO skills work, not even #1. All sounds and particle effects stop.
Then there’s a sudden ‘catch-up’, all the toons rubber-band to new positions and you’re probably dead. Or worse, the system times out completely and you get a DC.

It may have to do with people transferring up into higher tiers for the league rewards, thus more players balled up on higher tier maps. Idk, but this is just a guess.

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Shadowresli.3782

Shadowresli.3782

first, transfering down isn’t a solution, i play on drakkar lake and even we are victims of skill lags. Example yesterday evening in our garrison, a fight between 50 gunnars vs 50 of us. i didn’t even get trough to skill 1, even moving was frame by frame. and then i was death.
second, skill lags increased (even in WvW) since they disabled culling in pve (lags in LA, wtf??)

proudly wiped by RG and Funny Sunny Bunny

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

if you’re on stacked servers, do not complain about WvW lag…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

if you’re on stacked servers, do not complain about WvW lag…

I joined a medium server – found it was actually low (in WvW)
So I transferred to another medium server in the mid-ranking for WvW. But I find it’s Soooo good at WvW that it’s now ranked in the top 5 and facing huge blobs.

There’s no escape.

in WvW

Posted by: lethal ghost.9458

lethal ghost.9458

Yeah its bad, stack on tag, auto attack and spam heal and hope it works

in WvW

Tom Gore.4035

I seriously do not understand how Anet can stuck their fingers in their ears going LALALALALA CAN T HEAR YOU when they MUST see that their servers constantly hit 100% cpu utilisation.

And on top of that they want to start Leagues? This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Lol I can totally imagine that

What kitten es me off the most is that they don’t give us ANY solid information about what they are doing or are going to do (and when) about this problem. All we get is an explanation like “Yeah this happens when a lot of players use a lot of skills in a small space.”

WE KNOW THAT already. Now let us know how and when will you fix this problem!

But yeah, let’s see if today’s patch will help any. The stacking limitations of the conditions and AoE changes to include blocks and evasions into the 5 person limit should already reduce calculations quite a bit.

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Grok.6714

Grok.6714

Skill lag has NOTHING to do with stacked or non stacked server.

- Each WvW map has a certain limit, so even on stacked server there’s only a given amount of people on the map.
- Skill lag is present on medium servers also, if there’s a 3way fight in SM for example, or a zerg vs. zerg fight in a keep.

SFR Forum Warrior Academy

in WvW

Posted by: Lurch.9517

Lurch.9517

Skill lag has NOTHING to do with stacked or non stacked server.

- Each WvW map has a certain limit, so even on stacked server there’s only a given amount of people on the map.
- Skill lag is present on medium servers also, if there’s a 3way fight in SM for example, or a zerg vs. zerg fight in a keep.

When people are saying stacked they mean stacked for wvw purposes, and EB is blob ville anyway, if guys hate SM 3 way blob lag then they can go to a BL instead.

Lurch
Gandara

in WvW

Tom Gore.4035

When people are saying stacked they mean stacked for wvw purposes, and EB is blob ville anyway, if guys hate SM 3 way blob lag then they can go to a BL instead.

Mind = blown!

Why didn’t I think of this awesome solution?!

Wait… the borderlands lag TOO!

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

I would really love anet to explain to us all the solutions to skill lag. Is it only the coding or the server hardware too?

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

in WvW

Posted by: Buzzcrave.6197

Buzzcrave.6197

I would really love anet to explain to us all the solutions to skill lag. Is it only the coding or the server hardware too?

There is no solution to skill lag, it will always be there unless Anet decided to throw some money and upgrade their server. But it’ll never happen. On their mind now is just to make sPvP as an eSport=sponsorship=money. What will they get if they throw away their money to fix WvW issues? Nothing, they’ll even lose a lot of money.

Lets get real, no matter how people say Anet was good back then(GW1), they are not the same people in GW2, just a bunch of kitten sucker for money to me.

in WvW

Lurch.9517

Mind = blown!

I was replying to somebody else not making general statement, mister out of context.

The answer to your issue is do a work around or just keep complaining here waiting for Anet never to solve the problem.

Lurch
Gandara

(edited by Lurch.9517)

in WvW

Tom Gore.4035

Obviously it is both (as they sure aren’t running GW2 on the most powerful supercomputer ever built), but expanding the hardware might be expensive (if their server architechture is easily scalable) or very expensive (if it’s not and they need to flat out get bigger servers).

I’m hoping today’s patch will help the lag a bit. If it does nothing, I believe their only option is to either upgrade their servers or tell the players to screw it.

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Tom Gore.4035

Mind = blown!

I was replying to somebody else not making general statement, mister out of context

Whatever your intent was, your “solution” sucks, as it’s not a solution, but a workaround. What if they want to defend their T3 castle instead of abandoning it to the enemy and going to the borderlands? Shouldn’t they be able to do that without the game becoming unplayable.

Stop offering players workarounds so that ANet can get off the hook and doesn’t need to invest in WvW. It’s practically our duty to lag and crash the servers so they are forced to react in one way or another.

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Lurch.9517

Mind = blown!

I was replying to somebody else not making general statement, mister out of context

Whatever your intent was, your “solution” sucks, as it’s not a solution, but a workaround. What if they want to defend their T3 castle instead of abandoning it to the enemy and going to the borderlands? Shouldn’t they be able to do that without the game becoming unplayable.

Stop offering players workarounds so that ANet can get off the hook and doesn’t need to invest in WvW. It’s practically our duty to lag and crash the servers so they are forced to react in one way or another.

Well I would offer a solution but last time I checked my payslip it was not from Anet/NCsoft so I am suggesting a work around. If players want to complain here and wait for the solution which is NEVER going to come then god bless them, personally I got better things to do.

Lurch
Gandara

in WvW

Tom Gore.4035

Well I would offer a solution but last time I checked my payslip it was not from Anet/NCsoft so I am suggesting a work around. If players want to complain here and wait for the solution which is NEVER going to come then god bless them, personally I got better things to do.

So in your opinion we, as paying customers, should just shut up and figure a way around a broken game mechanic, instead of filing a complaint to the only party that can fix the problem and just happens to be the same party we’re giving our money to?

You seem to be sure that they cannot solve this problem. Any sources or are you just a pessimist at nature?

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Lurch.9517

So in your opinion we, as paying customers, should just shut up and figure a way around a broken game mechanic, instead of filing a complaint to the only party that can fix the problem and just happens to be the same party we’re giving our money to?

You seem to be sure that they cannot solve this problem. Any sources or are you just a pessimist at nature?

You are right! If I were you I would cancel my sub.

No source I am simply a realist.

Lurch
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: nidwin.6731

nidwin.6731

That vid was fun to watch actually but clearly unplayable of you want any decent skilled “massive” fights. And we aren’t taking about 100/150+ defending with 200+ aao at a keep here.

There’s somthing fishy and I find you peeps quite “polite” here while having to play a RvR game in this kind of condition.

Good luck to all of you and fingers crossed Anet can fix it soonish.

in WvW

Posted by: ILLSPAWN.5340

ILLSPAWN.5340

If it wasn’t for queues whenever you want to swop toons whenever this terrible lag happens I’d switch to my staff spammer guardian for these fights- don’t need the heal button as regen takes care of that and I can still use an aoe and run around killing all the soft targets who can’t use any of their decent damage skills and can’t use thier heal buttons…

That is what I do when the lag issues arrive. Nothing like having 30 secs of lag and seeing you lived and half the others died.

Commander Justice Iron Fist
RPG TITLES
MMO TITLES