Voice comm and non Voice comm servers

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

One of the things I have found to be the case, no matter what server I have been on is a major conflict in communication and play style on servers between voice com players and non voice com players. Some games solve this issue by having non voice com servers and voice servers so that players would know what was expected of them ahead of time before choosing a server. The two styles of play are so drastically different, they are not even playing the same game. The possibility currently for the creation of new WvW servers to balance population, I think it would be very beneficial for both types of players to have some designated as voice servers and non voice servers.

If you choose to play on a voice server, you are expected to listen to calls and be on voice coms, with your server during play, and if you choose to play on a non voice com server all calls will be made through in game chat. Due to both types of players missing calls and botching it up for the other type of players I think this would be great for both play styles.

Pros:
All players on server would be communicating same way and not miss calls , not blow it for the rest of the players because they didn’t hear/see what was said.
ALL players would be playing game in a way that was comfortable to them.
Cons:
If you sit on your mic, you better get a new one ! XD
Could split players from current guilds/ servers due to different play styles.

Ideas?

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Forcing players into a niche is never a good idea. The very core of WvW is everybody can jump in and have fun.

But sure, lets separate WvW by free choice and voice only. That’ll be 27 servers fighting in 9 tiers on one side and 1 server fighting against itself in 1 tier on the other.

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

Forcing players into a niche is never a good idea. The very core of WvW is everybody can jump in and have fun.

But sure, lets separate WvW by free choice and voice only. That’ll be 27 servers fighting in 9 tiers on one side and 1 server fighting against itself in 1 tier on the other.

Every server I played on all had voice coms. The non voice com players really cannot compete on the same level though, and often blow the fight being rally bots for the other team. Many games separate them and have the non voice coms listed as the " RP server" lol.

There is no " choice" on non voice com servers, they actually make it a game violation to use voice on RP servers in games and kick people off the server.

You really would not need as many of those servers as you might think. The non voice com servers usually wind up being the lower tier servers. If you want to move up, you get a mic since they are not even playing the same game.

You have commanders telling players to stack tight and there is always this random guy not on voice comms that runs out and lets the enemy know where they are at.. Gets killed and rallies the other team, doesn’t hear the calls being made on the Voice comms.. They simply cannot hear all the commands needed fast enough in a fight to be able to respond the same way, causing everyone else to have to dumb down their game play to accommodate them. On other games, you were kicked from guilds/ servers for that, here you have no recourse so players just wind up hating those players and raging on them for not communicating properly and often moving to other servers to get away from those players.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

But what does any of that has to do with GW2? I’m guessing all above middle tier servers already have public voice coms and highly encourage everyone to use it. I fail to see how forcing it and elitism improve WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

I don’t see a issue here. Every comunity have their own team speak, and you join that and then the map channel you are on.

The day we would have forced voice com inside of the game is when i will leave it. There are so many angry trolling kids out there that i do not want to be forced to listen too. And i also do not wish to wait for Arena Net to deal with all those issues that would come with it, the communities are doing this job just fine.

in WvW

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

But what does any of that has to do with GW2? I’m guessing all above middle tier servers already have public voice coms and highly encourage everyone to use it. I fail to see how forcing it and elitism improve WvW.

It is not forcing elitism at all. It is the basic idea of battle. If you are not on voice comms, how do you know what your commander wants to do? It is the difference between PUG’s just arbitrarily throwing siege down and concerted group effort. That is how the REAL MILITARY DOES THINGS. It is not elitist, it is necessary.

in WvW

Posted by: Menaki.6329

Menaki.6329

There are many reason why people don’t join or use ts. Sometimes there are technical issues why you can’t join, sometimes you can’t stand out other voices and their chatter after a hard working day or sometimes there are medical problems. Once, I’ve known a commander, who had served for the us-army in iraq, after his commitment, he was deaf, so he didn’t use ts and he was good commander, defensive, but very good. Basically if the group understand wvw and their profession and stay on the commander all the time, then you don’t really need ts most of the time, it’s too simple. Maybe someone could published are Top-5 list with the most spoken commands? I guess bomb, bomb, bomb is on the first place. Do you really think, separate them from their friends is okay, just that someone screams at you: stack, bomb or push?

No need, just promote more your server ts and tell the players you need them there.

[KILL] – Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: meltdown.5870

meltdown.5870

Ts= bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
mostly for peoble who like to hear themself talk
and to be honest WvW isn`t rocketscience. No need for ts at all.

in WvW

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Pugs run fine without TS. Guilds run with TS.

in WvW

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

The two styles of play are so drastically different, they are not even playing the same game.

I don’t agree with that analogy at all. The difference between a good commander chat commanding and a good commander voice commanding isn’t that great.

I’ve seen plenty of voice commanders successfully using the chat to command when they don’t feel like talking.

Besides, forcing expetations like these onto players is unessecary. If people wanna use TS or whatever client, they can do so. But it’s by no means needed for them to be successful in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

The chat commander is only doing it in chat because the voice comm is less effective. Voice comm is only less effective when the vast majority of the commander’s followers don’t know or refuse to get on the voice chat.

He might be a good commander, but imagine what he can accomplish if his communication was 20 times faster. Voice commanding is necessary to compete with other commanders who use voice instead of chat. It becomes apparent when you fight guild groups who realize this. Add in the bloodlust where players never read the chat while fighting and voice commanding becomes even more effective.

The zerg moves on when my zerg gets to the camp with the exception of one lone guy in the camp picking his nose or whatever because he didn’t hear or see the moveout command. I tell my zerg the following: “See that guy we just 40v1’d? Don’t be that guy. Get on TS.”

Little red Lioka

in WvW

Dusty Moon.4382

LOL – that is why PUIG’s are ‘meat shields’ to most guild groups. A TS system should have been put into GW2, although I know it is a huge difficult problem to deal with.

in WvW

Dusty Moon.4382

The chat commander is only doing it in chat because the voice comm is less effective. Voice comm is only less effective when the vast majority of the commander’s followers don’t know or refuse to get on the voice chat.

He might be a good commander, but imagine what he can accomplish if his communication was 20 times faster. Voice commanding is necessary to compete with other commanders who use voice instead of chat. It becomes apparent when you fight guild groups who realize this. Add in the bloodlust where players never read the chat while fighting and voice commanding becomes even more effective.

The zerg moves on when my zerg gets to the camp with the exception of one lone guy in the camp picking his nose or whatever because he didn’t hear or see the moveout command. I tell my zerg the following: “See that guy we just 40v1’d? Don’t be that guy. Get on TS.”

Voice Comm is more effective. The Commander doesn’t have to sit there and type in commands, before moving. Sorry – your point is non-valid. Voice comms are more efficient because they can be done while moving.

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

Voice Comm is more effective. The Commander doesn’t have to sit there and type in commands, before moving. Sorry – your point is non-valid. Voice comms are more efficient because they can be done while moving.

Is this directed at me or OP. If it’s at me then read past the first sentence and you’ll see that I agree with your point.

Little red Lioka

in WvW

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

LOL – that is why PUIG’s are ‘meat shields’ to most guild groups.

Yes but it is not a problem that needs to be solved with separate servers for voice-enabled players and non-voice players. Everyone was pug at some early point in WvW and ran around mindlessly, then some players formed guilds and joined TS and beat the crap out of pugs. Thats normal.

My point was – some players are fine as pug. They do not need voice commanding. They just having fun and if guild group kills them, its fine too.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

In regard to those discussing the importance of it, TS absolutely has it’s merits and I think it’s silly to argue otherwise. It removes the complications of trying to type while playing and having your team try to read it and it allows you to make more detailed commands and more quickly.

That said, I think a sensible player can function perfectly well without it. Although they may not always know exactly where combo fields and CC’s will be wanted, if they’re educated enough they will have an idea. That, and as someone else has mentioned, not everyone can use TS for a multitude of reasons. It’s incredibly rude to look down your nose on people just because they dislike or are unable to use TS.

I’ve used it many times in the past but decided against continuing to do so as I dislike all the random chatter and hearing someone repeat the same word 90 times in under 3 seconds. It’s not enjoyable for me so I make sure to pay attention with my eyes instead of my ears. I’ve run with organized guilds many times and have done more than my part to contribute. A lot of the time in PUG groups, small havoc groups or even guild groups, I’m tighter to the commander than those on TS, even being one of the last ones alive and one of the first to push with the commander as well. Do I know exactly what the commander wants me to do at all times? No, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know if your commander isn’t moving you stack, if your commander drops appropriate siege you build, if your commander regroups during a fight you recover and buff, etc. etc. All you need to do is pay attention and understand how the flow of fights work. You don’t need TS, it just helps those that don’t know how to pay attention with their eyes. Which apparently a lot of people have issues with.

Also, though TS is more effective than chat commanding, I’m not arguing that, it’s on the commander’s shoulders if they want to exclude using one of the available methods of commanding just because they believe it’s inferior. There are many times when more players are not using TS than using it and refusing to communicate with your group via chat just because you believe they should be in TS is going to do nothing but make your life difficult.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

(edited by SpellOfIniquity.1780)

in WvW

Dusty Moon.4382

Is this directed at me or OP. If it’s at me then read past the first sentence and you’ll see that I agree with your point.

Not you….