WTB BIGGER MAPS

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: merry.3247

merry.3247

It’s really boring to do 3 meters and getting assjamed by 100 guys camping your portal keep or the bridge 10 meters away, somethings needs to be done.

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: TheFug.5278

TheFug.5278

Larger maps is what made DAOC bad.

You would have to get together a group and run for 15 minutes through all of the giant, unused RvR terrain just to finally get to the “main fight” and get steamrolled by a 100 man zerg and have to reform and do it all over again.

[KH] Kwisatz Haderach

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I’m for bigger maps too, or better…..a single big map for the entire WvW scenario.

As for the practical size. Well there must be a healthy middle between GW2s “30 seconds from one keep to another” vs. DAOCs “5 minute travel time”.

The distance between one factions main keep and Stormmist Castle is about 1 minute on foot if you could take the direct route.

Having this as the standard distance between 2 towers rather than the current 30 seconds would be ideal, imo. It would make position a little more important and emphasize strategy a little more over zerging.

It would also limit the potential exploits from abusing Trebuchet range.

(edited by Dee Jay.2460)

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: micron.5369

micron.5369

Larger maps is what made DAOC bad.

You would have to get together a group and run for 15 minutes through all of the giant, unused RvR terrain just to finally get to the “main fight” and get steamrolled by a 100 man zerg and have to reform and do it all over again.

Yep, I remember that quite well, and it would not be as much fun if that were to be brought to GW2.

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: tarnin.1690

tarnin.1690

BS. It made DAoC BETTER if you were not a mindless zerg hound (sounds like you were). Also, it didn’t take 30 seconds to get back to a wipe. That’s what makes W3 crap. Can’t roam with a small group and wiping the enemy is nothing more than a 30 second to a minute pause.

These maps are way too small. They need to be much much larger. There are too many objects crammed into too small of an area. You can’t turn around without hitting some objective.

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: Yewkon.5802

Yewkon.5802

I would prefer much larger maps with more smaller objectives, for example waypoint captures

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: willwill.9318

willwill.9318

Don’t consider this an areanet quote..But basically here it is.

Go play SpVp… and WvW is for the casual Zerger

Why did you buy the game when we told you all of this?

My answer? Because we are still craving a daoc 2.. and nobody will give it to us

www.the-darkhand.com <DDH>

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

Maybe not bigger maps as it takes long enough to get back in the action as it is, but definitely more maps. Maybe smaller maps with high value objectives to encourage intense spvp style combat or another EB style map with some different mechanics and styles of play.

But please, no more jumping puzzles. o_o

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: tarnin.1690

tarnin.1690

Didn’t need radar to find where people where. There were popular xp spots, the bridges (in NF, MG’s in old), the island, etc… plenty of places to find people. Not my fault a bunch of you were zergers out there. Hell, i was successful playing a solo eld, duo in OF with a Bard/Warden or Bard/Hero, and in NF a Bard/Vamp. Did successful 8man also.

Really, it was only unused by the zerging pugs who didn’t have even have suits built.

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: Hargrik.8672

Hargrik.8672

Bigger maps + waypoint captures (great idea btw)! Please consider doing this Arena!

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

I’d vote for bigger maps as well. Currently a zerg can cover way too much of the map. I mean if the zerg is defending a keep on the other side of the map they should not be able to make it to another keep that is being zerged.

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Combine all the maps into one which will increase the size tremendously(combine population cap into one – this might cause some performance issues though in hindsight). Put in portal keeps/towers for quicker transportation or ships that go to other docks (captureable). Have the ability to talk to a guard outside a keep/tower/supply door and/or entrance that gives a 3 minute swiftness buff that turns off when damage is done or taken.

There are plenty of ideas out there how we can make WvW a more immersive and engaging experience for all.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: Vixena.3821

Vixena.3821

I definitely feel that the maps should be quite a bit more spread out, especially for EB. EB feels so compact and with objectives so close to each other. It drives me insane how easy and often things just switch all over the place.

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: Kingzolo.6089

Kingzolo.6089

“Bigger maps + waypoint captures” <- This i a great idea….!

Also i think they shuold merge all of the wvw maps to 1 big map – Would be EPIC

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

I believe there are some technical limitations involved.

I can’t be sure, but I am almost certain that ANet has said these maps are as big as they can be for this game.

In either case, I think the chance of seeing larger maps is slim to none – until perhaps an expansion or something.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Vixena.3821

@Sky (reply isn’t showing up)

If ArenaNet stated that these maps are as big as they can be… I can’t really believe them at all. The RvR world in DAoC was HUGE. They were far larger than one of the maps and contained a ton of people. I don’t understand how there could be technical limitations if a game that released in 2001 could “technically” have a far larger map.

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

If ArenaNet stated that these maps are as big as they can be… I can’t really believe them at all. The RvR world in DAoC was HUGE. They were far larger than one of the maps and contained a ton of people. I don’t understand how there could be technical limitations if a game that released in 2001 could “technically” have a far larger map.

There are different ways to handle maps in MMOs.

Consider WoW. When WoW first released, it’s major claim to fame was the “persistant massive map” which didn’t use loading screens, for the most part. You could run from zone to zone without waiting at a loading screen. At the time, this was a big kittening deal.
(I am writing from memory here… it’s been a long time)

Most MMOs use zones to split up the maps. GW2 does it.

Now, I don’t know enough about software engineering to elaborate on that too much, but I do know that just because DAoC had big maps doesn’t mean it is a trivial thing to include big maps in every game that is ever released after that.

I’ll have to see if I can find this quote that I think I’ve seen.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Yes, “technical limitations” there may be, but that isn’t a free pass.

There is so much that could be done. I’m sure it wasn’t ANets original plan to copy + paste 3 Borderlands maps. They probably did it out of necessity. But that doesn’t mean it can’t change.

Look at DAOC for example, those RvR maps were HUGE (a lot less detailed of course, but still).

WoW can display an entire continent at once without load-screens.

SWTOR on the other hand struggled with even 20 vs. 20 battles in ugly and low-detail environments (Ilum).

It really depends on the engine and how well it is optimized for certain things. Looking at the load-screens between zones and their relatively similar size, maybe the engine does have a strict limitation on how much it can load. But then ANet will have to overcome that limitation.

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Vixena.3821

There are different ways to handle maps in MMOs.

Consider WoW. When WoW first released, it’s major claim to fame was the “persistant massive map” which didn’t use loading screens, for the most part. You could run from zone to zone without waiting at a loading screen. At the time, this was a big kittening deal.
(I am writing from memory here… it’s been a long time)

Most MMOs use zones to split up the maps. GW2 does it.

Now, I don’t know enough about software engineering to elaborate on that too much, but I do know that just because DAoC had big maps doesn’t mean it is a trivial thing to include big maps in every game that is ever released after that.

I’ll have to see if I can find this quote that I think I’ve seen.

I think we’re on different pages here. I was addressing the notion that ArenaNet perhaps said before that there are “technical limitations” and that the maps are the biggest it could get with the technology that they have. I don’t know if it’s true ArenaNet stated something like that or not before, but I was simply addressing that.

I am not saying that every game should add big maps to everything for the sake of it, but WvW can definitely benefit from having larger maps. EB feels so compact and squished that zergs can rush through entire areas of EB with spending very little time from one objective to the next. It doesn’t have that nice big epic WvW battleground feel to it since so many objectives are crammed in and keeps and towers are so close together. RvR had this epic big feel to it (too big for GW2) that really made it seem like it was a great vast battlefield.

WTB BIGGER MAPS

in WvW

Posted by: Azaruil.3406

Azaruil.3406

I do also find the maps to be a bit crammed. Being able to treb half the map from a keep or castle often makes sieging less exciting. It would be preferable if more supply camps served as sieging grounds. An example of this would be Golanta. If blue takes it from green then it can siege Klovan & Jerrifer from there.

As for actual map size, they are big enough, but towers etc. are crammed together. The borderland maps for example have large empty space in the NW and NE where the only thing that happens is bots fighting the skritt and centaurs. Taking those out and shifting things to fill that spot would make it a good size I believe.

Even Eternal could be adjusted in its current size to seem more spacious. Take out Ogrewatch and Durrios, make a new tower where the ogre camp is. Take out Anzalias and Wildcreek, replace it with a tower where the Dredge cave is. Take out Klovan and Quentin, replace it with a tower where the Hylek/Kraitt camps are. While this would only remove 3 towers, it would make the battlegrounds more spacious and also utilize supply camps as staging points to further assault the enemy territory.

Also, tower sieges in hills, a cave and marsh lands? Sounds like fun.

Aza
“I smell like pomegranate.”