WW1 downed state analogy - pro power

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

I don’t know if you all noticed but we NEEEED a powercreeep. I will continue to advocate for a power creeep until the rez/downed state handholding kitten gets nerfed. People need to die when they are killed. Imagine world war 2 with downed state….good lord. Or even world war 1….the russians woulda won hard, blitzing machine guns en masse with their swords. IN other words the Germans would lose both wars right near the start, cause they never had the numbers. Being smart doesn’t get you anywhere near as far as manpower will, in the present wvsw.

Atm everyone is gassing eachother, cause they know the gas is a single cast long duration ranged aoe. ANd it will poison and hit anyone who tries to rez the guy that got downed, AND it will finish the guy who got downed by it on its own. Its a win-win. Also when you use gas you can fight in an ironclad set of armour….cause reasons!!!

The alternative is wearing polyester, carrying around a rifle, poking ur head over the trench, shooting some1 in the head, then having ur bullets absorbed for 1-2 seconds while he falls to the ground and enters downstate. Then you can finally hit him and fire at him again and finish him…..only he can heal himself so you have to use a bunch of bullets to interrupt and negate the healing. And if some1 else gets near and helps heal him you can fire all the bullets you want but you can’t outrace the speed of the heals with ur bullets. So you run over there into noman’s land with ur bayonet and try to hit them both at the same time by slapping them away from eachother. Then you aim ur gun at the downed one once his friend is off him, and burn an entire clip into the mud to finally get ur kill. Victorious, you reload and train your weapon on his friend, its their turn next. It comes as quite the surprise, but ur little performance has attracted the nearby machine gun and every other enemy a kilometer away. And while u lay there in downed state you see them rez the guy you killed, ur 20 second performance erased in a mere 5-8 seconds. Your wannabe zombie victim, grinning ear to ear, then flag plants you in obscene places. Pride, confusion, frustration, anger….whatever the feeling, you know one thing to be true…. that skybox sure is ugly to look at. Meanwhile ur commander is yelling from the other side of the trench “THIS IS WHY WE DON’T ACCEPT HEROES, MORON!”
That’s the present state of powercreep.

So you can either fight ww1 doing that to every one of ur enemies, jumping out of the trench and risking the inevitable ending, or you can just break out the medieval ironclad armour and throw gas at that enemy from inside ur trench, exposing only ur armoured hand for a brief second…..duck back under ur trench and listen to the screams while smoking a cigarette with ur buddies, watching ur fat cat commander laying around getting drunk, marveling at all the commendations command will bestow on him for the strategic genius behind his squad’s success.

tl:dr: Food for thought. Condi isn’t necessarily the problem. It’s just the scape goat of a solution. Then you wakeup one day and realize World war 2 is right around the corner.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in WvW

Posted by: Neftex.7594

Neftex.7594

how about tldr?

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Bumping thread for historical accuracy.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I tired to explain why downed state as is needs to be nerfed or something but people tried to divert by calling hammer rev op and whatnot lol.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Downed-State-Duration-Cap-Thoughts/first#post6545999

https://youtu.be/bL3gM8ht8fo

in WvW

Posted by: Kaim.5483

Kaim.5483

What I don’t understand about downed state is why you get x3 health when you’re dying.

in WvW

Posted by: jul.7602

jul.7602

+1. My thoughts exactly. This game is too forgiving.

in WvW

Justine.6351

What I don’t understand about downed state is why you get x3 health when you’re dying.

To encourage spiking. Without it people would die in a reasonable time to focused cleave.

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Messy delivery but I dig it

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

lol, its a pve mechanic that they never really modified for wvw. I wonder what their reasoning is for why they refuse to do so.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

lol, its a pve mechanic that they never really modified for wvw. I wonder what their reasoning is for why they refuse to do so.

They sell finishers.

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

They sell finishers.

This!!! So, while removing the feature might be desirable, they’re not going to eliminate a revenue stream.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: kolegam.5460

kolegam.5460

Down state is not bad thing but I would love to see some tweaking like one of this:

• On prime time down state are removed You just die- it will be time gated thing.
  • It can be depend on players in the map, opposite of outnumbered if You have a lot of players on map what even have q, You will have buff/debuff if You die You die for sure without down state.
    This way we fix few things downs state and limit zergs/blob power because they wont be so sustain. So even small group could kill zerg/blob.

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I can feel it… “THE NEXT WvW EVENT INVOLVES NO DOWNED STATE FOR 1 WEEK!”

We are the guinea pigs. ANet has much testing to do.

in WvW

Posted by: shiri.4257

shiri.4257

every war has downed state, that’s why we have medics and disabled vets. thank you for enlightening us with your failed understanding of history.

~Kasumei/Machiato
Desert Spectre [VII]-Crystal Desert
“You’re never out of the fight.”

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Or you could you know, do a finisher on them instead of hitting 1111111 next to them. It’s not enough that some specs can put a person into downed state in 2-3 moves now you want them to just instantly die. People wanting to turn combat into fps shooter style are playing the wrong kitten game.

P.S condition is a problem, but that’s another dead horse topic for another time.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Downed state is fine and necessary. This thread is unnecessary. I don’t understand why some people are so against downed state. Its a core mechanic of the game, and has always been.

Judging by the OP’s signature, I’m guessing he almost 1 shots people with a glass gunflame build, but can’t finish them off if they have an ally nearby. Then he gets angry about a mechanic that he already knew existed before he even attacked, and comes to complain on the forum.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: Clownmug.8357

Clownmug.8357

Downed state is fine and necessary. This thread is unnecessary. I don’t understand why some people are so against downed state. Its a core mechanic of the game, and has always been.

Judging by the OP’s signature, I’m guessing he almost 1 shots people with a glass gunflame build, but can’t finish them off if they have an ally nearby. Then he gets angry about a mechanic that he already knew existed before he even attacked, and comes to complain on the forum.

You answered your own question about why they’re against it. They don’t like their victims getting a chance to fight back or escape.

in WvW

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Downstate could do with a bit more hp reduction, but otherwise I’m cool with it. Stomping is a fun system after all. Edit- and having an opportunity to be returned to combat is good, especially given the amount of surprise burst out there.

However I’m not cool with rallying off npc kills – that is a pve mechanic and should be disabled in wvw. Either an ally resses you, you res yourself or you die. Shouldn’t be able to tick an npc then miraculously jump up, heal to full and win a fight or escape. Edit- for clarity I don’t mind if rallying remains on killing players although wouldn’t mind either if it happened to be removed.

(edited by Curunen.8729)

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

why need for ally nearby, when some glassy builds can basically die from downed skills alone?

I remember a very fun fight I had in my druid few days ago against a thief – 1v1 fight we have unloaded everythign we had on each other – and he got to downed state 2 seconds after me due to condi ticks – then I have finished him off with downed#1 [all hail bleed on rangers downed#1] while helping myself a bit with pet firstly hitting him too and later – once CD came off – my pet ressing me.

I can totally imagine such thief then go into forum raging about downed states

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in WvW

Justine.6351

why need for ally nearby, when some glassy builds can basically die from downed skills alone?

I remember a very fun fight I had in my druid few days ago against a thief – 1v1 fight we have unloaded everythign we had on each other – and he got to downed state 2 seconds after me due to condi ticks – then I have finished him off with downed#1 [all hail bleed on rangers downed#1] while helping myself a bit with pet firstly hitting him too and later – once CD came off – my pet ressing me.

I can totally imagine such thief then go into forum raging about downed states

On rev I’ve spammed 1 from down state on players for a rally. That slow is obnoxious in downed vs downed lol.

in WvW

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

im not sure why real world wars with tanks & guns are something that we should use to dictate game design decisions in a magical fantasy role playing computer game. seems like a really irrelevant thing to bring up when discussing changing a mechanic that is integral to the functioning of this games combat system, something everything has been designed with in mind.

im sorry, but i just don’t see any connection here.

yeah, OP being so salty he’s angrily posting nonsense is very easy to believe.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Germany would have lost WW2 anyways due to numbers Russia was just way too big with German WPs war too far away, constantly being tapped by stealthspam partisans, and once Moscow hit T3 with the speedy yaks it was only a matter of time. So they pretty much lost upon invading the Soviet Union though even if they didn’t, it was unlikely that Stalin would be a good neighbor.

There was also this wise man named Bismark who thought that fighting a 2 front war was a really stupid idea.) and then kitten cried about pugs not in TS taking up queue space so all their super stacked Master Race guilds could not get in and people pulling the tactivators. Of course IRL, other nations took the time to take down the threa\t instead of backcapping…. (well, SU…)

Incidentally, the use of condi was highly frowned upon especially because of WW1 and people didn’t bother much in WW2 in fear of retaliation. Cept Japan. Then they got blobbed down after tapping the American keep one too many times.

Wait, did we really censor the name of the German fascist? Oh, ok. Kitten’s a better name.

But to be actually productive, I’d like to point out that while the nature of the technological status caused the meat grinder of World War 1, part of it was also due to the commanders and leaders being stubborn and failing to adapt to the times and using antiquated tactics that were doomed to failure, namely charge in and die. Now if this is the lesson to pick up , well…. then I would have definitely equated the Pirate Ship era of HoT launch to World War 1. Plus the massive depopulation of WvW that wiped a huge chunk of it out.

The alternative is wearing polyester, carrying around a rifle, poking ur head over the trench, shooting some1 in the head, then having ur bullets absorbed for 1-2 seconds while he falls to the ground and enters downstate. Then you can finally hit him and fire at him again and finish him…..only he can heal himself so you have to use a bunch of bullets to interrupt and negate the healing. And if some1 else gets near and helps heal him you can fire all the bullets you want but you can’t outrace the speed of the heals with ur bullets. So you run over there into noman’s land with ur bayonet and try to hit them both at the same time by slapping them away from eachother

The real question is if you shot someone in the head, why would you YOLO across lethal trench fire just to “finish them off”?

Oh that gets answered….

Meanwhile ur commander is yelling from the other side of the trench “THIS IS WHY WE DON’T ACCEPT HEROES, MORON!”

Of course, in Guild Wars 2 term, that area with downed is generally shelled with mass cleaves and poison and thus the situation in either real life or in-game is only possible through stupidity. Granted people irl didn’t kill individuals in war for KDR and bags, sooooo….

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

basically no one in wvw finishes though, unless its small scale or roaming. which is basically nobody :O

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE