(Warning-Long Post) WvW, anti-zerg etc.

in WvW

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

sometimes I feel like the only thing that could root out blobbing from the WvW [and game overall] would be something overly drastic, like introduction of bodyblocking or sth…..

Thank you for your interest.

I do see where you are coming from and I can understand the feeling.
Personally I believe that adjusting the scales just enough to not heavily favor blob play will automatically make people split up, as blob play is completely suicidal as a rl tactical or/and strategic approach.
I believe that it will created a natural reaction to go towards something “tried and true” once the illogical behavior, due to the systems, is no longer functioning.

Whether it is by following the suggestion I made or narrowing down such systems in a different manner and correcting them, I still believe it is the correct approach ^^

if you removed the aoe cap the smaller more organized group would win depending on their skill. they could easily approach from stealth (without the enemy even knowing they are there in the first place) using all zerker gear and insta wipe the zerg.

Ty for joining in

I agree that smaller group would be vastly more effective when played smartly vs. less optimal played large groups. and in your scenario, which I like, it would mean the enemy zerg is blind as a bat, doesn’t utilize traps and is heavily clumped up and waiting to get slaughtered (and if that is the case I would explain it as you simply outplayed them and they performed badly which they could easily improve).
So the outcome is kind of the point of these suggested changes. To allow players to use actual tactics and strategy which rely on outsmarting your opponent instead of simply closing your eyes and all sit on each other’s shoulders while running though ^^

Numbers would however still matter, and it should, as a larger group has a lot more options for multiple angles of attack as well as having the same setup but with more players (so can survive more mistakes).

Agree with overall goal of breaking up map blobs. Hope ANet paying attention, cause what we’re starting to see is mostly necro zergs of 40+ and that’s really, really boring to try to fight with smaller group.

I wonder if the new territories will allow for more refined outnumbered mechanisms?

Tyvm your support for the overall idea is very much appreciated

I doubt we will have any new pvp territories with the coming expansion, but we can only hope if we do they will try to improve that aspect ^^

in WvW

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

Still agree with most of the ideas presented by op, but I don’t think I would remove the AoE cap from all skills. This would greatly favor the larger zerg. Barring the technical difficulties, I see a few problems with this.

Defensive buffs.
With no AoE cap zergs will have ridiculous sustain, permanent Rite of the Dwarf, permanent auras, mass distort, undeniably infinite boons (imagine signet of inspiration buffing 50+ people a time), and healbot ele/druid remaxing the entire zerg’s health every few seconds. Even with the Aoe damage cap removed I can’t imagine a 15-20man group laying a scratch on the zerg and I certainly can’t see why anyone would want to spread out when they’re perpetually buffed by 49+ other people at time.

Zergs will have unbelievable damage.
I agree that this would help smaller groups do more damage which is essential to anti zerg, but this is a double edged sword. In the current meta, a 50+ t1 blob can already 1 push an entire 15 man guild with ease. All zergbusting guilds run much much tighter than the average blob which means that the zergs is the one main beneficiary to the Aoe removal cap. I just can’t imagine a 15-20 man group surviving a 50man bomb.

I would rather go for a middle ground. Keep the defensive cap at 5, and double the maximum targets for offensive skills.

Hi jul, ty for joining us

Your idea is nice, and I do agree on the defensive part as a possible solution (also been discussed earlier as it would be an issue, so spot on there ^^).
not sure with the offensive as it would just require a bigger zerg to do the same thing, so I am a bit afraid it would work in the opposite direction (unless you x4-10 it, so the numbers are so high it might as well be limitless).

You can argue the double edge sword, but the counter argument to that in this specific situation is that you are arguing what would do the most dmg “headbutting a claymore till it explodes” or “being run over by a tank”, in both cases the overkill is so insane that it really doesn’t matter which one it is the person would be dead 100% guaranteed.
Big zergs got the same effect, if you are not in “immunity” of some sort and blob running into AOE from a heavily outnumbered force then you will melt faster than you can throw a stone ^^
If we are talking equal forces, then whoever use the best tactics (split up, attack multiple angles, etc.) will win the fight, so skill>>numbers, which I what I would like to see.

There are properly other ways to approach this issue and I would love to hear idea’s if you got any more on the area.
These was just the area’s I personally felt where the once which created the big advantage for zergs, and would be the first thing, imo, to improve.

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

as a gamer the important question to ask is this.

will it be fun?

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

I just can’t imagine a 15-20 man group surviving a 50man bomb.

spread out and avoid their AoEs while throwing CC at them, just like – you know – it was being done before the cap was introduced

but then I am not really sure if it would be within realms of possibility for AN to rollback the biggest bal;anciong change they’ve made after so many years [and alot of stuff would have to be nerfed a heckload to compensate for new targets….

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles