Warrior or necromancer for wvw?

in WvW

Posted by: MatthewEmery.3468

MatthewEmery.3468

Im kind of new to the game and I really want to get into the PvP and WvW, two main classes caught my attention the most, necromancer and warrior? I want a class that deals lots of damage in melee and at range and does a decent amount of AOE and CC, and isn’t to squishy (wont suck at roaming) please help me choose

P.S sorry for how much of a noob i am
P.S.S im open to suggestions for other classes to

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

So you want to be good at everything essentially. Choose warrior.

in WvW

MatthewEmery.3468

Haha, i guess you could say that, what are the pro’s and con’s of each class?

in WvW

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

Right now, the Necro class most excels at large group (zerg) WvW. It’s not a terrible roamer, but not the greatest either, due mainly to basically having zero escape options. The Warrior on the other hand excels in both areas, and in sPvP to boot. Warriors are just a more well rounded class, as evidenced by the bazillion of them you see out there nowadays.

My main is a Necro, and I enjoy the class very much, but that’s mostly because large group WvW is just about all I do. If that’s not your cup-o-tea, roll Anet’s favorite class.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Avatar of Belle.9623

I do small group roaming on my necro. I have to start running away about 5 seconds before the rest of my group if I want any chance of getting away.

Warrior is good for both roaming and zerging. Roll a warrior unless you enjoy playing another class.

Threnody of Belle – Necromancer and PvE Carebear (24,500 achievement points)
Maguuma
#allisvain

in WvW

MatthewEmery.3468

Right now, the Necro class most excels at large group (zerg) WvW. It’s not a terrible roamer, but not the greatest either, due mainly to basically having zero escape options. The Warrior on the other hand excels in both areas, and in sPvP to boot. Warriors are just a more well rounded class, as evidenced by the bazillion of them you see out there nowadays.

My main is a Necro, and I enjoy the class very much, but that’s mostly because large group WvW is just about all I do. If that’s not your cup-o-tea, roll Anet’s favorite class.

in WvW

MatthewEmery.3468

I do small group roaming on my necro. I have to start running away about 5 seconds before the rest of my group if I want any chance of getting away.

Warrior is good for both roaming and zerging. Roll a warrior unless you enjoy playing another class.

in WvW

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

i play a glass necro and do mostly roaming or small (5 or less) group fights and it is a chuckle-fest. life blast crits for 5-8k, and i can do massive amounts of damage with my burst rotation. however, once i get focused it’s good night unless i can work a miracle.

CD

in WvW

MatthewEmery.3468

Yeah thanks, i started a necro for WvW and i do enjoy it, its just i want to deal a competative amount of damage, thanks all for help!

in WvW

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

Necromancers are highly potent at WvW, you just have to know how to run it. Its ability to life suck with well, cleanse or transfer conditions, and tank are far and away better then most other class. It also has focus fire attacks (dagger 1, signet of spite), wide area attacks (Staff marks, wells, epidemic), and area denial attacks (Spectral wall, staff 5, Well of Corruption). The plague form elite attack is especially devestating in large fights, especially if you trait blindness to apply chill at the same time.

If a zerg has enough necromancers in it, warriors can’t do squat with their hammers, and attempting to stack boons will instead stack conditions. I’m one of an apparently rare breed, a Necromancer commander. I’ve found though I would rather play as nothing else in the front lines. Well of Corruption + Spectral Wall ruins any pain trains day, plague form gives me more armor then any Warrior can hope to attain for 30 seconds, but then, most fights only last 30 seconds anyway. And if all else fails, deathshroud with life transfer to heal my allies. Its not an excellent roaming class, true, but in a zerg fight necros are devastating. They combine the survivability of a warrior, with the damage of a ele, and the area control of a guardian. Love my necro.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

warrior in zerg: 1111134 F1 1111131111 F1
necro in zerg: 234521111121111102222222
nec moar hards

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Pros of warrior: They’re warriors.
Cons of other classes: They aren’t warriors.

In all seriousness, if you just want to be good at everything with no drawbacks or downsides of any kind, roll warrior. I can play mine half asleep/drunk and still destroy anyone who isn’t another warrior. It’s the very definition of overpowered facerolliness.

in WvW

Posted by: Arlette.9684

Arlette.9684

Pros of warrior: They’re warriors.
Cons of other classes: They aren’t warriors.

In all seriousness, if you just want to be good at everything with no drawbacks or downsides of any kind, roll warrior. I can play mine half asleep/drunk and still destroy anyone who isn’t another warrior. It’s the very definition of overpowered facerolliness.

What he said!

Warrior Pros: Fool proof, extremely easy to play and extremely new player friendly.
Warrior Cons: Cons and Warrior cannot be used in the same sentence. Jon Peters said so.

Moira Dreamweaver lvl 80 Guardian [TG], Sky Mira lvl 80 Ranger [TG]
Isle of Janthir
All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Your choice for both melee and range damage has to be necro. Warriors suck at range AoE, whereas Necro is second only to Elementalists with range AoE bombs, while also being very strong at close range with death shroud and plague form.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Radian.2478

Radian.2478

It greatly depends on what you want to do in WvW. Necromancer gives the best loot in the game in zerg v zerg with staff + scepter/dagger and wells. Warrior is much quicker and has WAY more mobility than necromancer. Warrior gives by far the best wxp solo roaming since you can kill everything in a supply camp in as fast as 7 seconds with zerker GS + LB and then you move around quickly by swapping the LB out for S/WH. Necromancer is good for AoE and then fearing people off walls has good use. Death shroud skill 4 is useful for taking out enemy siege on walls too.

in WvW

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

For WvW i would say by far the warrior you cannot make somthing wrong with a warrior.

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in WvW

Posted by: Ravenor.3612

Ravenor.3612

I play both fairly extensively in WvW and both are excellent classes that are in high demand. I’ll assume you want to play a hammer warrior, probably the most useful for zerging. Here is my breakdown:

1) Ease of play: Warriors win out slightly because Necros have to think more about when they use their Soul Shroud and Elite skill (normally plague but sometimes Lich Form) for maximum effectiveness/survival. Warriors just have to F1 at the start of the fight, and maybe use Battle Standard to revive a keep lord. Plague and Battle Standard are two of the best elites in the game for WvW, for completely different reasons.

2) Mobility: Both classes can maintain permanent swiftness. Necros with Warhorn and Spectral Walk, or Warriors with banners or Warhorn/Signet of Rage. Warriors win out because they have more movement/leap-style skills (GS 3/5, Sword 2), and underwater Spear 5 will get you places really fast.

3) Survivability: In terms of base stats, warriors are more survivable. However, Necromancers have Soul Shroud and Plague, and steal health with every hit. I would say a well-played Necro is more survivable than a warrior, but a poorly played Necro is less.

4) Group Utility: Warriors focus more on stuns and condition removal in a zerg. Necromancers focus more on damage and conditions/boon stripping. Both have excellent group ability. I would rate them tied in this category. Battle Standard, the preferred Warrior elite, is invaluable for defense as it can instantly revive a keep lord (combine with stability and Endure Pain to ensure a successful cast). Plague on the other hand can blind a LOT of enemy players (5 a second for 20 seconds, plus poison), providing huge damage mitigation. The choice is yours.

5) Solo Utility: Both can clear camps solo. Warriors might be faster with the right build. I’ve had better luck with a Necro due to increased survivability. Some Warrior builds (mostly those built for zerging/group play) might have trouble clearing solo due to lack of damage, while Necros can clear with full Knight’s/Cavalier’s.

6) Loot: Necro far and away wins this, over every class. You’ll tag everything. It’s not uncommon for me to get 25+ loot bags in a large engagement (probably well over 30). My warrior would probably get 10-15 in that same engagement.

Fifty Bladesof Gray – L80 Sylvari Thief
Little Brown Bags – L80 Asura Necromancer
Stunbot – L80 Sylvari Warrior

(edited by Ravenor.3612)

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

If you’re looking for something else that can do both range and melee, have a look at Elementalists. While you have to specifically trait for either d/d or staff (meaning a lot of retraits) and unable to switch weapons in combat, you can be a good range or melee class. Skill level required is much higher than both warrior and necro though. Especially with the lowest health pool in the game combined with light armour makes survivability a bit of an issue if you’re not using the right skills at the right time.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Cupnoodle.5431

Cupnoodle.5431

Although I haven’t played a warrior (so if I am wrong point it out), I would say Necros are a lot more engaging. I am told a lot that Warriors are kind of mindless in a sense where you are just spamming 1 (again may be wrong), but Necros really have to pay attention. I play a glass Necro and if I waste one dodge or CD I am basically dead unless I pull a clutch rally from my awesome tagging abilities lol Also it seems (at least from my guild) that the warriors need to mainly focus around hammer so there isn’t many different kind of builds, but you can do many different things as a necro: bunker, bunker-condi, glass, a lot of things because tbh people really only want you for your wells and maybe plague or epidemic and sometimes single target focusing (them 7-9k axe 2s and 5-7k DS 1). All in all, it just depends on your play style: If you like being on the front lines facerolling, go Warrior. If you like being able to be versatile go Necro.

Necromancer – Cup Noodre
Ectoplasm Ltd. [GLOB] Maguuma
“Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.”

in WvW

Posted by: albotelho.2931

albotelho.2931

If you want raw damage go Warrior.

Turig Wolfsbane Norn Guardian
Rangrorn Charr Necromancer
Ultimate Legion [UL]

in WvW

Posted by: Arlette.9684

Arlette.9684

Just roll a warrior, we’ll all eventually gonna have to roll one because ANet will delete all other classes

Moira Dreamweaver lvl 80 Guardian [TG], Sky Mira lvl 80 Ranger [TG]
Isle of Janthir
All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Pavel.8531

Pavel.8531

Im kind of new to the game and I really want to get into the PvP and WvW, two main classes caught my attention the most, necromancer and warrior? I want a class that deals lots of damage in melee and at range and does a decent amount of AOE and CC, and isn’t to squishy (wont suck at roaming) please help me choose

P.S sorry for how much of a noob i am
P.S.S im open to suggestions for other classes to

When you see the loading screen for WvW what do you see? There was even some discsussion does WvW actually stand for warrior vs warrior.

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

If you want raw damage go Warrior.

…and for everything else you roll Warrior too.

in WvW

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

6) Loot: Necro far and away wins this, over every class. You’ll tag everything. It’s not uncommon for me to get 25+ loot bags in a large engagement (probably well over 30). My warrior would probably get 10-15 in that same engagement.

Nothing beat a guardian’s #1 staff in that.

Btw, roll a warrior. All the arguments in this post about why choose a warrior over necro are true. I have both.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I shelved my warrior due to the boredom factor of playing it, however, I do know many players who enjoy their warriors longterm so this is my personal choice.

Went necro and I am having a blast. I use a hybrid build which I can quickly adjust for large scale, small scale and even quick PvE dungeon runs and go almost full offense (DPS) or bunker/condi or bunker/support by simply switching around some gear and utility skills.

I recommend you pick a profession which will fit the best with the group you run. If your team lacks backliners, pick necro, if it lacks front runners, pick warrior. While both of these can fill both roles adequately, the necro excels at backline while the warrior shines being upfront. Team synergy is very important and often overlooked by many players in this game.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: Eloquence.5207

Eloquence.5207

The ‘W’ in GW2 and WvW stands for Warrior.

“L2P” according to pr0 Thieves
http://youtu.be/k0YDuSLXcX8?t=3m16s
See, Blinding Powder is nothing.

in WvW

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

Roll a warrior.

in WvW

Posted by: Ravenor.3612

Ravenor.3612

Nothing beat a guardian’s #1 staff in that.

Btw, roll a warrior. All the arguments in this post about why choose a warrior over necro are true. I have both.

Forgot guardian staff, but they’re the only ones that can contend.

Fifty Bladesof Gray – L80 Sylvari Thief
Little Brown Bags – L80 Asura Necromancer
Stunbot – L80 Sylvari Warrior