Ways to make WvW Anet's top priority

in WvW

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

I think we have been hearing much of how WvW has been neglected. Many of the updates and changes etc. have been devoted to PvP and PvE.
PvP championship teams fighting for like $200,000 worth of prizes and PvE getting a lot of content updates etc.
WvW has recently seen some decent attention and improvements though.

Rather than complain about WvW being neglected, why don’t we brainstorm for the reasons why it is neglected and how we can solve it?
How do we make WvW balances and updates and improvements Anet’s top priority?

One reason I can think of is, perhaps most of Anet’s income might come from PvE players who make up the bulk of the players who pay for gems.

We can solve this by having WvW core players spend huge amount of money to buy gems so that Anet will see that most of their income now comes from WvW players and they will devote more time to WvW balances and updates.

Feel free to post your thoughts and solutions!
Lets think of ways to make WvW Anet’s top priority.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in WvW

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

So your proposal is have WvW players spend a boatload of money on gems?

How much did anet pay you to make this post?

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

in WvW

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

You might have missed this, but the past few months WvW has been the top prio for anet. They couldnt do everything at once so we got to vote for the things that we thought needed to prioritize first.

in WvW

Posted by: Implementor.1765

Implementor.1765

“most of Anet’s income might come from PvE players”
Pve players make 10x more gold than wvw players , they can buy basicly everything from gemstore for gold. As wvw player, you have to spend rl money to get something from gemstore or you need to go pve.
Since these merges killed most of wvw communitys and servers then i dont see any point to buy gems anymore or give any support to this game.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

You might have missed this, but the past few months WvW has been the top prio for anet.

Except it hasn’t, they have left a small team on WvW but have moved the 1 dev that showed some understanding of the mode to the xpac. No-one in any actual authority at anet makes any statements about it not even the person who we were told a while ago is in charge of the WvW team.

The xpac is the no. 1 priority for anet.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

You might have missed this, but the past few months WvW has been the top prio for anet.

Except it hasn’t, they have left a small team on WvW but have moved the 1 dev that showed some understanding of the mode to the xpac. No-one in any actual authority at anet makes any statements about it not even the person who we were told a while ago is in charge of the WvW team.

Except it has, and thats their own words – look it up. WvW has gotten far more attention than any other game type the past months…. Whether you like the kind of attention it got or not is subjective and I couldnt care less what you think about it. But nonetheless its gotten alot of attention.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Except it has, and thats their own words – look it up. WvW has gotten far more attention than any other game type the past months…. Whether you like the kind of attention it got or not is subjective and I couldnt care less what you think about it. But nonetheless its gotten alot of attention.

You’re not actually dealing with what I said. They said WvW was a top priority before HOT IIRC, do you really think that has persistsed until now? Taking the best WvW dev off the mode is not a sign of priority. They did not halt development of all legendaries to move devs onto WvW but to the xpac.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I just hope it will result in improvements….and less gimmicks…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

If you consider the terrible linking/repair hammer/cannon polls as top priority idk anymore.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Pve players want more content.
Wvw players want less new content and then stand around and cry wvw is stale and dead.

Which would you invest in?

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

If you consider the terrible linking/repair hammer/cannon polls as top priority idk anymore.

Oh that’s right… Why we still haven’t our cannons yet? I need to build my pirateship.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

I’m actually grateful for the polls or we would be back to “he who yells loudest” form of game development. Even if I wasn’t thrilled about the cannons and repair hammer, I’m willing to accept what the majority wants, rather than caving to a temper tantrum.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its more of a question of how much can they changes and or add to wvw. Even if it was there top priority what could they add with out flipping the game type on its head.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Not exactly a new idea, years ago there was a brainstorm about what would attract players to buy more gems, stuff like finishers and more guild themed stuff, or themes for claimed stuff like imagine turning your claimed tower into a haunted house tower type of place, themed siege etc.

In any case wvw is only a small part of the game’s population, and shrinking every day. In the end pve is all that will be needed to keep the game going.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

Some people have already outlined this, but wvw has been a pretty high priority lately.
Has anet made good changes? yes.
Has there been some questionable ones? yes.
Is there still work to be done. Yes.

As for the whole, “we need to spend gems” bit. I’ll be frank, anet needs to give the wvw things they want to buy gems that are not a p2w wall. Some one in here already mentioned cosmetic tower looks. I think that’s a wonderful idea. Siege is something else that could be cosmetically altered. There are so many small things that could give breath into creating more variety in wvw.

Lastly, for improving wvw, anet has a good idea now based off of feedback on what needs to change. There are plenty of mechanical fixes, which will make the game mode more enjoyable. To make the game mode boom tho, we need new experiences, things like another borderland (which they talked about) or additional features. The issue is they only have enough resources to do one large thing at a time. They’ve learned their lesson on trying to drop large sweeping after years of not changing anything and being met with backlash.

I think they are on the right track, and they are trying. Sadly, it’s not enough to retain a lot of people right now as they grow bored. Simply put bored people don’t spend money on gems. Which is why they won’t get money out of a lot of these people. If they break that cycle and manage to give people new experinces and make the mode entertaining again for many; I am sure that would change.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

It should be a priority really.

It’s endgame for a lot of folks and it provides engaging play for the past four years.

What they need to realize is motivation of that passion though.

It’s not guilds.

It’s servers.

Capitalize on that attachment and boost it back up, with special rewards for each server (that would gain Anet some coin actually with loot chasers)… a title, a unique piece of designed armour for each server (make it chest piece please), you have people hooked. I would love to see unique armour made for each server (which will only encourage the collectors, but they’ll move anyhow).

I was very happy to see folks attached to changes to server. That means community lives there.

Pay attention to that: it’s the reason other big MMOs have survived with subs. *(Investment) for more than 10 years.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Rink.6108

Rink.6108

I think there is only a minority of us that only plays wvw and not pve as well. So it may not be so easy to compare how much money a pve player spends on the game compared to a wvw player. Also I am not sure how rich the average wvw player is. I think wvw players spend so much time in the game, that most of them can just buy a lot of gems with gold and thus giving them things they can buy in the gemstore may not give arenanet a lot of “real” money.

—> I think the current system with votes is actually a good way. If participation is less than 50% of actuve wvw-players maybe give a small wvw-reward for people that vote like wvw-reward-track-tonics (wouldn’t be surprised if participation was only 20% or lower in last votes).
—> If there are changes that arenanet and the community would like to make but are too expensive: make a system comparable to kickstarter: if enough people contribute and invest real money into a change, then the change will be done. If the “goal” isn’t reached, the people get gems for the money they invested.

Some ideas:
—> buying my own guild with all wvw-upgrades, picture and sound to have the buffs on camps/towers with a solo-guild.
—> maybe permanent tactivators (that would allow to use a specific tactivator upgrade once a day for example – price should be adapted to how overpowered it is and maybe at the same time the clearly overpowered could be reduced in effiency a bit as we will have always watchtower for example and the radius is too big if you can’t run to a camp without being seen by watchtower like QL)
—> maybe finishers, if they are good, maybe give us some with high ranks/achievements.
—> Superior rune holder: Ascended item that can be added to armor in the rune slot, you can feed it with superior runes and then freely switch between the runes you fed it.
Properties: If you fed it all superior runes that exist, it will unlock additional new runes or a small bonus on top of it. Can be removed from the armor to be added to new armor once it is full.
—> Minor sigil collector: Small guy that sits in your inventory and snatches all minor runes that you get. Can be upgraded and then set to collect major runes and trash items as well. Is an inventory cleaner.
Properties: Has a small chance to give you a wiggly chest with minor rewards for every item it snatches. It should be possible to put him in shared inventory slot.

*Things that may be more controversal and some people will hate them: *
—> catas that throw quaggans instead of stones (custom, funny/silly/cool siege)
—> custom changes in builds that you claim:
entities: like spawning a horde of friendly quaggans or some annoying bard that sings, changing skins of guards to all asuras, all norns, all ghosts or pirates or wearing pink, wearing horsehead etc.
changing skins on dolyaks in camps that you capture to cows, dragons, giganteous bunnies
skins on structures: door or walls look differently (for example pink door, christmas themed etc). but I think those skin-changes would be too hard to fit to every objective you claim.
—> different commandertags in wvw (for example a crown)

(edited by Rink.6108)

in WvW

Posted by: hypehype.9047

hypehype.9047

You give anet money for 0 effort when you keep server hopping to banwagon on the winning server, so anet has no reason to fix what is making them money.

same reason with the glide skins, it makes money so rather fix bugs they make more skins.

in WvW

Rink.6108

Sure they develop what makes them some money. They have to pay the running costs for the game, their salaries aren’t paid by us buying the game 4 years ago anymore. So they have no choice but to make what makes them money or the game will shut down. At least they didn’t go pay-to-win like most other games did. I hope they will not need to in the future and for this we need those ideas.

in WvW

Posted by: mordran.4750

mordran.4750

They already earn a ton of money with wvw, look at all the bandwaggoning their stupid server linking created. How many gems have been purchased only for transfers…….. Has that made wvw any better ? No, they made it worse than ever, population is broken, at least in EU, their glicko or whatever tech they use is not working, matching 3 server worlds to 1 server worlds etc. etc. etc. No, giving them more money through gem purchases won´t do any good. Instead we should vote with our wallet and stop purchasing anything from them until they let their attitude go and start to take wvw players serious.

in WvW

Rink.6108

How do you know how many gems they make through transfers between servers?
And are you sure that those were paid with real money and not just in-game-money?

Yes, Glicko has problems and it should be adressed and the server linking in europe with languages should be up for a poll on those affected servers (so the blame for it can be on community if frenchies don’t want to be paired with english speaking users), but if you are still playing and enjoying the game, then it would be good if arenanet could pay their salaries from that so they can work on improving the game by solving the problems.

Not purchasing anything anymore will not lead to any changes, it would shut down the game even more. Development needs funds.

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

It what Anet has been doing with WvW over the last couple of months is top priority, I’d hate to see what low priority is! Oh wait we have!

WvW isnt their vision anymore, Mike made things so unbearable that the entire original WvW team has left!
All that’s left are PvE devs and sPvP devs, none of whom know what to do with WvW at all!

Complaining is all we can do, as we’ve already waited for them, only to find out everything they told us was a lie!
We’ve already posted dozens if not hundreds of threads over the years on how we things they can improve WvW, they still have not listened!
We talked to them in their own CDIs, which they ignored as well!

In fact I believe the next expansion which will be released next year will not have anything major for WvW at all!
I mean look what we got with HoT, a dead map and pay-2-win skills and traits. No balance at all!

Sorry but Anet do not deserve more money from me, or you!
The only ones who will are PvE players, and I have no idea why cos the PvE in this game is terrible!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: Mylerian.9176

Mylerian.9176

Me personally I play for the WvW content. DO not care for PvE or PVP. All I know is that WvW is completely messed up right now. I hope they fix it soon. Last reset was a F****** joke for real! We came in 2nd place and dropped a tier. Anet fix WvW please!

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Me personally I play for the WvW content. DO not care for PvE or PVP. All I know is that WvW is completely messed up right now. I hope they fix it soon. Last reset was a F****** joke for real! We came in 2nd place and dropped a tier. Anet fix WvW please!

Tiers mean nothing…… they do exist for population “balance” on the linked servers.
What matters is the score at the end of the week, who scored more in skirmishes.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Avit.3165

Avit.3165

Great idea, let’s buy gems to sponsor even greater spvp reward, this year 200,000$ next year 400,000$.
We can do it…