What I Love about No White Swords...

in WvW

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Dear Devs,
Oh great powers that hang out watching us from above, we that are the small minions of WvW hear my plea! We the few, the strong, the quiet types beseech you to consider the following factors. (okay that was me being silly)

Rarely do I make such posts but few have meant as much as this one to I and my guild, and my server. To those that like battle and fight, No White Swords has been a surprisingly good thing for WvW. I myself was actually AGAINST the idea when it was first announced and dreaded it terrible. Please bring them back to us someday…

1. More rotation While, servers are being more active in watching their towers, at the same time, people are really picking their battles over what is important to watch and what is not. There are still some who stalwartly hole up in a tower wasting tons of time and money on a tower that will fall when they go to bed. But for the most part, people are moving more, more movement means more challenge and action in WvW. No its not a karma train as others feared, as Karma training happened in WvW regardless of white swords or not. What it is, is more strategic and tactical.

2. Field fighting increased I was surprised by this, more people are now engaging groups head on at the southern part of the borderlands. Instead of holing up at the bottom of a borderlands, they are going straight for the source instead of waiting endlessly in keeps for the zerg to attack. People are engaging every group they see immediately as not engaging them means they are a hidden unknown force and suddenly that fortified keep or tower will change colors.

3. Havoc teams just became more effective. Less blobs! Everyone complains about zergs and no, that will never go away its an integral part of WvW but at the same time, 5-10-15 person Havoc teams now have so much more effectiveness in once in a while snatching a keep! This is amazing!

To summarize, no white swords have lead to, more strategy and tactics, groups breaking into smaller bits to attack several things at once, small groups gaining effectiveness, more field fighting and people getting outside of thier towers!

Now there are obviously cons to it, which I am sure that when others read this a cavalcade of people will be quick to point out. However, I dont suggest we just keep White Swords, I suggest that combined with other important changes that I hope are coming down the line to WvW this could be a very good change. (Scoring/population changes)

At the very least please consider running this event from time to time. Change is good, even a small change brings new life to things and keeps us motivated.

Now let the roasting of my good intentioned and well natured post begin,

Much love,

Agatha

in WvW

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

No white swords discourages battles. I’m in NA T2 and sometimes we have trouble getting a scout in every tower/keep. I can’t imagine how tough it is for lower tiers. At least white swords allows whoever is on a low pop map to actually respond. Thanks anet for further encouraging pvdoor.

Osu

in WvW

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

good post and agreed.
i like the no white swords. and i understand less populated worlds might not, but at least on T1 its more interesting.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

No white swords discourages battles. I’m in NA T2 and sometimes we have trouble getting a scout in every tower/keep. I can’t imagine how tough it is for lower tiers. At least white swords allows whoever is on a low pop map to actually respond. Thanks anet for further encouraging pvdoor.

I thought it would be bad but objectively it isn’t and I’m in T8.

You don’t have to have someone in all towers, but one or 2 roaming around your stuff and ordering upgrades/building stuff (you can relay yourselves to limit boredom and some ppl do like to do that stuff anyway).

Ironically, I see less PvD than before since players can’t rely on swords to tell them an objective is under attack. My fear about pvd karma train is just not what came to be.

I’d have to be pretty dogmatic to still have the opinion I had since reality totally invalidate that dogma so far.

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

One of the trends I am seeing is the difference in people deploying stationary scouts and those using moving scouts. The ones using moving scouts seem to have less issue with this change then those using the stationary ones. I think as more people move to mobile scouting the more open field and smaller scale fights are popping up in turn. This is one of the reasons an extended test of any changes makes sense since until players adapt behaviors you do not get a good read on the change itself. Good hunting!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

My previous strategies were about how to disguise the white swords. if i wanted to cap a rear tower in EBG I run by and hit the door until swords pop. Defenders show up and we move out with little to no fight.
Do this a few more times with the usual half hearted attempts and no one shows up to defend at all. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Is this actually better?

in WvW

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

One of the trends I am seeing is the difference in people deploying stationary scouts and those using moving scouts. The ones using moving scouts seem to have less issue with this change then those using the stationary ones. I think as more people move to mobile scouting the more open field and smaller scale fights are popping up in turn. This is one of the reasons an extended test of any changes makes sense since until players adapt behaviors you do not get a good read on the change itself. Good hunting!

Agreed I know that moving scouts are now quite actively used on my server and its pretty cool as it does get things moving around.

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

I have to admit I thought this was a terrible idea but it’s really not that bad. I still think it needs some tweaking like the signal fire suggestion made in the other thread but overall it isn’t bad. For the record I’m on T7 atm.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Jatari Thundercloud.3794

Jatari Thundercloud.3794

I am a huge person into defense . In my server having no white swords has helped our server become more aware of how important defense is and a nice response too as more are doing it !! I hope white swords stay away forever. The complexity of the battlefield can only be matched by battle tactics based upon your available abilitys to hold and defend what we need to on the battlefield.

Defensive Tactical Commander
Server : Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

I’m really not seeing anything like the OP listed on my server. WvW plays pretty much the same with a noticeable increase in average zerg size and a disappointing decrease in small group roaming. See quite a few new players coming into WvW and being generally confused about where they need to go and end simply merging with the commander blob.

I find it quite boring when my small group can take a T3 tower with absolutely no opposition.

Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Sus.3610

Sus.3610

Being a defensive person on a lower pop server, I have not enjoyed the lack of white swords. I read the previous posts and I am envious of the people that have had more people embracing defense during this time. If there’s no wp, it’s expendable. Very “edge of the mist” except some of us are spending our time and gold to upgrade and siege things just to lose it because 5 people can’t be everywhere, but their 5 people have enough for one or two catas and know that we can’t be everywhere.

I could see how this could be a great thing on some of the higher tiers. I’m glad it’s working out. Just not sure if it’s the best time for it (until anet gets the server populations balanced out a bit more…otherwise,you might not have to balance anything if all of the lower tier players transfer up or quit the game…then you could just delete the bottom servers and no one would notice…I feel like I just solved world hunger with that last piece lol)

Barricka
Leader of [GIT] Git Off My Lawn
Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Dear Devs,
Oh great powers that hang out watching us from above, we that are the small minions of WvW hear my plea! We the few, the strong, the quiet types beseech you to consider the following factors. (okay that was me being silly)

Rarely do I make such posts but few have meant as much as this one to I and my guild, and my server. To those that like battle and fight, No White Swords has been a surprisingly good thing for WvW. I myself was actually AGAINST the idea when it was first announced and dreaded it terrible. Please bring them back to us someday…

1. More rotation While, servers are being more active in watching their towers, at the same time, people are really picking their battles over what is important to watch and what is not. There are still some who stalwartly hole up in a tower wasting tons of time and money on a tower that will fall when they go to bed. But for the most part, people are moving more, more movement means more challenge and action in WvW. No its not a karma train as others feared, as Karma training happened in WvW regardless of white swords or not. What it is, is more strategic and tactical.

2. Field fighting increased I was surprised by this, more people are now engaging groups head on at the southern part of the borderlands. Instead of holing up at the bottom of a borderlands, they are going straight for the source instead of waiting endlessly in keeps for the zerg to attack. People are engaging every group they see immediately as not engaging them means they are a hidden unknown force and suddenly that fortified keep or tower will change colors.

3. Havoc teams just became more effective. Less blobs! Everyone complains about zergs and no, that will never go away its an integral part of WvW but at the same time, 5-10-15 person Havoc teams now have so much more effectiveness in once in a while snatching a keep! This is amazing!

To summarize, no white swords have lead to, more strategy and tactics, groups breaking into smaller bits to attack several things at once, small groups gaining effectiveness, more field fighting and people getting outside of thier towers!

Now there are obviously cons to it, which I am sure that when others read this a cavalcade of people will be quick to point out. However, I dont suggest we just keep White Swords, I suggest that combined with other important changes that I hope are coming down the line to WvW this could be a very good change. (Scoring/population changes)

At the very least please consider running this event from time to time. Change is good, even a small change brings new life to things and keeps us motivated.

Now let the roasting of my good intentioned and well natured post begin,

Much love,

Agatha

Wow. Not sure where you play, but it is completely opposite in T1.

1. It is a karma train here. There is no point in defending.
2. Less open field fighting
3. Havoc teams are LESS effective. If we can convince someone to sit in a tower, they can easily see when a havoc team attacks now. It is MUCH better to stay in the blob and just knock down any defenses.

in WvW

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

That is strange. I am in T2 on YB and I see very much the opposite.

Why are you having difficulty with scouts? No one wants to do it on your server?

Thanks Anet for discouraging PvD and allowing small forces the ability to take locations now without being ratted out by the system. Now maybe some folk who complain pointlessly and endlessly about zergs, will stop being hypocrites, and actually spread out and see the enemy for themselves rather then depending on a passive system to do it. After all, who likes passive play?

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

3. Havoc teams are LESS effective. If we can convince someone to sit in a tower, they can easily see when a havoc team attacks now. It is MUCH better to stay in the blob and just knock down any defenses.

I am from JQ in T1.

1. Not even close. It may have went like that for the first week at most. After that the rest of us learned to run a rotating net of scouts/roamers.

2. I think your absolutely wrong. I am seeing quit the opposite. What time frames are you playing 2 A.M. to sunrise?

3. Yeah right, because white swords were doing havoc teams a favor. All it was before was that white swords did it for you. Now you actually have to do it yourself. Havoc teams can catch a guard slacking, or on the other side of hills or bay and more often then with white swords, get in before their location is discovered.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

biggest problems with white swords gone is all it does is highlight the problems with population balance and coverage

but I do see way more small fights and have been having fun

in WvW

Posted by: Polymer.8302

Polymer.8302

Strongly dislike the lack of white swords. The problem arises from the fact I don’t know what to defend and when. For example, I may arrive on the Home Borderlands find we don’t own a specific camp and head in that direction to re-capture it. During that time an enemy force may begin an attack on one of our towers. Previously, I would know within a reasonable time of this activity and head over there to defend, however now I’m left guessing. By the time I’ve dealt with the camp and decide to check that tower its already been captured and the attackers have moved onto another objective. Again, I have no idea which way they’ve gone until something else is lost, or we get lucky and find them.

Consequently, there are far fewer fights or fun to be had with significantly more walking in the hope of heading in the correct direction.

in WvW

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Really am not enjoying, and looking forward to when they switch back. I’m in EU T2 and the only thing I’ve seen is a big increase in zerging. Sure scouting is more important now but who the heck wants to do it when it gives you no rewards, and if you don’t have enough people to defend something than you are screwed anyway.

I support what they wanted to do with the white swords, I really do, but instead, why not put in a trick or trap that when used or triggered, causes all enemies in range to be highlighted an tracked on the minimap for a certain amount of time? Or even better, make it so when an npc sees an enemy they show up, that way the stupid guards and sentries are actually worth something!

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I personally use mobile scouts, will have one party from my guild rotate like in pvp. That has helped us run into an enemy and surprise-wipe them a few times, but honestly it sucks. The maps are too large to be doing rotations. Doing more running than fighting!

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Rakshasa.5493

Rakshasa.5493

I love the no white sword, you see so many Mesmers fly hacking groups in to towers and keeps now, its become kittened well done !

in WvW

Posted by: Widebody.5071

Widebody.5071

Dear Devs,

To summarize, no white swords have lead to, more strategy and tactics, groups breaking into smaller bits to attack several things at once, small groups gaining effectiveness, more field fighting and people getting outside of thier tower

in WvW

Widebody.5071

What I’ve seen is just increased sneak attacks and and constant PVD and ALT trolling. The only open field fights I noticed is when we are significantly outnumbered and the enemy fights a battle of attrition from long range. Maybe in order to balance things a bit we should take away damage indicators on structures to handicap the aggressors in the same manner that the defenders were. If a group over 5 attack a structure with superior or guild seige with noone inside allow swords and damage indicators.
Otherwise it’ll stay the same a soon as an attacker hit a stucture and they see it’s defended they’ll just run off and look for easier pickings.
Most of the pvp/wvw oriented posters are really eloquate arguing their positions, but it usually boils down to changes being made that make it easier for them to perform, be it skill balance or take down of structures. Especially the aggresive ones.

(edited by Widebody.5071)

in WvW

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

Really? I’m in T1, and TC people are generally for not having white swords (or so I’ve felt from the vibe).

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

Not sure what time zone you play in T1.
Im on JQ and I have noticed:

1. JQ/TC/BG setting a more scouts.
2. JQ/TC/BG having more havoc groups running.
3. Much better communication on voice coms for defending.
4. No change in the larger forces since pre-white sword removal. (Other than many in blob are more about PPK.)
5. More guilds running pinned Havoc groups on the same map, but different locations.
6. More pinned scouts.
7. on JQ, more use of the central voice comms.

Upgrades haven’t changed, most still upgrade the same as prior to patch. Just now the importance is really focused on getting or breaking waypoints for servers. (Waypoints are much more useful without white swords on locations than prior to the test removal.)

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Middzz.1490

Middzz.1490

Really? I’m in T1, and TC people are generally for not having white swords (or so I’ve felt from the vibe).

Not heard anyone voice that on mumble au contraire more about how it just become karma train blob keep rushes and less and less fielf fights .Suppose all have different perspectives.

in WvW

Posted by: Grav.3568

Grav.3568

Here’s what I love about no white swords:

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Strongly dislike the lack of white swords. The problem arises from the fact I don’t know what to defend and when. For example, I may arrive on the Home Borderlands find we don’t own a specific camp and head in that direction to re-capture it. During that time an enemy force may begin an attack on one of our towers. Previously, I would know within a reasonable time of this activity and head over there to defend, however now I’m left guessing. By the time I’ve dealt with the camp and decide to check that tower its already been captured and the attackers have moved onto another objective. Again, I have no idea which way they’ve gone until something else is lost, or we get lucky and find them.

Consequently, there are far fewer fights or fun to be had with significantly more walking in the hope of heading in the correct direction.

You pretty much nailed it here, for me atleast. This whole “event” promotes pvd and discourages pvp.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Virum Virile.7890

Virum Virile.7890

When white swords goes away tomorrow T3 is going to be even more of a curb stomp. Isle and NSP have it bad enough not being able to hold anything against the T2 playerbase but now they won’t even be able to cap anything more important then a camp before the zerg jumps them.

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

My friends have a 10-15 men raid 3 times a week. They flip camps, run suplys and if they see a tower without scout they siege it. Without sneak attack it will be nearly impossible.
I suggest to add white sword something like orange sword but it pops if there are more than x enemy players in the area

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Rakshasa.5493

Rakshasa.5493

No white sword are good are they? try being against BG and JQ when you are tag teamed 24/7, then take in to account BG and JQ just fly hacks in to towers and there keeps to take them back its not just one or two people any more its groups of 10-15 no white swords is really bad, please bring them back!

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

No white sword are good are they? try being against BG and JQ when you are tag teamed 24/7, then take in to account BG and JQ just fly hacks in to towers and there keeps to take them back its not just one or two people any more its groups of 10-15 no white swords is really bad, please bring them back!

Now if there was only someone actually reading those reports,.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

I hope you reported them to ANet. (I’ve never seen those tags before, nor the players or groups of 10-15 who “fly hack” per what you stated, though If I see them you can bet they will be reported.

Also please drop the 2v1 stuff. All 3 servers fight one another all the time.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

(edited by Mishi.7058)

in WvW

Posted by: Grimwar.3789

Grimwar.3789

Like the OP, after playing without white swords, I completely changed my views and now strongly support the change as having opened up the game – rewarding coordination, tactical anticipation, and small group effectiveness. This change has rewarded and therefore improved our server’s increased use of voicechat, militia and guild group cooperation, and map hopping activity.

That said, having read the opposing arguments, I think the missing ingredient that would alleviate much of their frustration is the inclusion of Righteous Indignation timers on the WvW map itself. Many of us have second screens find this information invaluable – why not just add it to the game itself?

Grimwar.3789
Deux Ex [XX] on Stormbluff Isle
deuxex.enjin.com

(edited by Grimwar.3789)

in WvW

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

No white swords just pushed the WvWvW level of gameplay to the next higher level.

in WvW

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I didn’t mind the no white swords, but it looks like they just made a comeback with todays patch.

“•Objectives under attack will now display the white crossed-swords icon in World vs. World.”

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Players hacking has nothing to do with white swords. 15 players bypassing walls will flip a keep before white swords can trigger anyway.

my server did a great job stepping up the communication and organization during the trial period for no white swords and ppk. I thought no white swords was a terrible idea but I’ve had so many great skirmish fights and have had a better overall WvW experience. I really hope this gets reinstated.

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Samis.1750

Samis.1750

I doubt the people who support the removal of white swords are the ones who are sentrying the towers (or even upgrading them).

Forcing people to sit in towers to satisfy the roaming groups in not a just solution. Eventually, sentries will lose their patience as they will conclude, “Why am I spending even 30 minutes of my life doing this?”.

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

I like the no-white-sword idea…

it does not affect the roamers…

it helps the small 5-20 groups…

it slows down the blobbers…

And… meanwhile playing WvW this event gave me more fun than the whole spring tournament awhile… (I won’t mention the autumn one…)

My 2 cents

#I no words have"

in WvW

Widebody.5071

No white swords just pushed the WvWvW level of gameplay to the next higher level.

Yes you are certainly right, they should now create the title “PVD Grandmaster”.

in WvW

coglin.1867

I doubt the people who support the removal of white swords are the ones who are sentrying the towers (or even upgrading them).

Forcing people to sit in towers to satisfy the roaming groups in not a just solution. Eventually, sentries will lose their patience as they will conclude, “Why am I spending even 30 minutes of my life doing this?”.

I doubt you have anything to back that up. We have a rotation for sentry work with a large pool of volunteers to chose from.

in WvW

Widebody.5071

I doubt you have anything to back that up. We have a rotation for sentry work with a large pool of volunteers to chose from.

It seems that your argument can work on both sides of the table, since not all servers have the manpower capability to assign shifts for sentry duty. Plus how boring is that playing a game with a set play schedule as if you’re at work or something!

in WvW

Widebody.5071

Anyways why are so-called hard pvpers not in the pvp arenas? Is it that they hate the fact that it’s structured and not of much of a gankfest. It seems as if they just want to control the game mode to their benefit and at the expense of everyone else’s pleasure.

in WvW

coglin.1867

It seems that your argument can work on both sides of the table, since not all servers have the manpower capability to assign shifts for sentry duty. Plus how boring is that playing a game with a set play schedule as if you’re at work or something!

How boring would what be? No one said a word about a “set play schedule”. Your creating some irrational concept of what you want me to have said, simply to try to shore up your argument, when actually it has nothing to do with what I really stated. It works nothing remotely close to what your suggesting.

Are you suggesting the other server you compete against vastly outnumber yours?

(edited by coglin.1867)

in WvW

Widebody.5071

How boring would what be? No one said a word about a “set play schedule”. Your creating some irrational concept of what you want me to have said, simply to try to shore up your argument, when actually it has nothing to do with what I really stated. It works nothing remotely close to what your suggesting.

Are you suggesting the other server you compete against yours?

Actually I was just mimicking the the arguments that the opponents to pve, living story and WvW structure defence use on a regular basics. But to answer your question. No I’m not suggesting any such thing, but I will state that yes we are “vastly outnumbered” on a regular basics.

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Anyways why are so-called hard pvpers not in the pvp arenas? Is it that they hate the fact that it’s structured and not of much of a gankfest. It seems as if they just want to control the game mode to their benefit and at the expense of everyone else’s pleasure.

Because spvp is about holding points more than it is about fighting? I play both but can only play so many PvP matches before I’m burnt out, dealing with cele ele’s and engi’s get’s boring real fast.

LGN

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

I’ve spent a stupid amount of time and gold defending and upgrading my bl and I absolutely support the removal of white swords.

LGN

in WvW

coglin.1867

Actually I was just mimicking the the arguments that the opponents to pve, living story and WvW structure defence use on a regular basics. But to answer your question. No I’m not suggesting any such thing, but I will state that yes we are “vastly outnumbered” on a regular basics.

Well if your out numbered, then that is a problem that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Nor does any of the argument s you just complained about.

If you do not have enough capable players to keep up with the enemy and their locations. Your going to lose with or without the swords.

in WvW

Widebody.5071

Well if your out numbered, then that is a problem that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Nor does any of the argument s you just complained about.

If you do not have enough capable players to keep up with the enemy and their locations. Your going to lose with or without the swords.

Dude why all kitten???? I just replied after you disputed the validity of another posters claim whom I actually agree with.
By the way exactly what does this argument have to do with the topic “I doubt you have anything to back that up”.

(edited by Widebody.5071)

in WvW

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

Actually TC seemed to have a nice way of making sentrying slightly better.

The sentries are basically defensive commanders, who would lead anybody within the vicinity if they were attacked. They would be identified as the red tag and would lead the defense until the enemy was defeated (or until the main zerg arrived, in which is a massive kill fest anyways).

I did a LOT of sentrying during the event (it was when I first joined WvW really) and I enjoyed it. Now that the white swords are there, I’ve kinda just gone “eh” about it because it’s like the mechanic defeated the purpose of sentrying.