What can you do if there is no commander?

in WvW

Posted by: sakura.7961

sakura.7961

Well what things can you do on your own? There is not always a commander on the map or on any map, and sometimes you still want to play wvw. Guiding dolyaks is not so interesting and also useless most of the time. The only thing I can think of is flipping sentries and ruins/shrines. But are there other things you can do (if you are terrible at taking 1v1s like I am)?

More violets, less violence.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Just do whatever you want to do. Want to take a keep without a tag? ask for help in /m or /t, usually gets you some ppl to do same stuff.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Flip Supply Camps
Kill Dolyaks
Tap Keeps/Towers
Grab Ruins
Place Supply Traps EVERYWHERE
Kill Sentries
Form a Small Group and Flip a Tower

Basically anything/everything that doesn’t require a Zerg to do, and remember, the Commander is only one person, keep faith in yourself and others to do work, and don’t allow having no Commander cripple your resolve.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

I lay on the floor screaming and smashing things til the nurse sedates me.
Commander is lief

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Here are some valuable & enriching suggestions:

• Mine nodes from all the towers
  • Spend 30 minutes chasing that ghost thief around EBG
  • Dump all your supplies into repairing paper SMC walls thanks to red keep trebs
  • Solo the Overgrown Grub

Okay, jokes aside. You should probably try calling out in map/team chat if anyone wants to form up some small ops together and take objectives. This is true if you find small groups of enemies roaming your borders trying to flip things – get out there and have some good fights.

You don’t always need to rely on a commander to get things done.

Try sieging up a specific tower/keep if you notice enemies trying their luck at seizing it if you’re on your own. Never make things easy for your enemies.

Make sure you cap sentries near supply camps as it will most likely be key when it comes to map awareness of enemies passing by; you want to know who and how many are around so you can take action if necessary.

I know, not a lot of suggestions but I hope these help.

in WvW

Posted by: Rambitshouse.8712

Rambitshouse.8712

Flip Supply Camps
Kill Dolyaks
Tap Keeps/Towers
Grab Ruins
Kill Sentries

Basically anything/everything that doesn’t require a Zerg to do, and remember, the Commander is only one person, keep faith in yourself and others to do work, and don’t allow having no Commander cripple your resolve.

I think the main problem is we all try those things solo or with a small crew. The sentry markers show the lonely dot, blob comes, runs you over.

Dtox

in WvW

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Flip Supply Camps
Kill Dolyaks
Tap Keeps/Towers
Grab Ruins
Kill Sentries

I think the main problem is we all try those things solo or with a small crew. The sentry markers show the lonely dot, blob comes, runs you over.

That’s why I try to keep tabs on the, “Blob”, that way even when marked, they are off somewhere else. If, your in a small group, send in one person to deal with the sentry, that way there is only one person marked, and is less enticing for the blob to de-rail and come trucking towards.

You could also ignore trying to take out a sentry, and loop around it, on your way to a camp, or on the matter of small group roaming, getting a tower flipped.

Got to be crafty/sneaky and situationally aware while solo/small group roaming, unless you want the zerg to come with everyone spaming #1 on their keyboards.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

For some reason the first thing that come to mind is that you can tag up.

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Either you make friends on the enemy or ally side first and deerp with them (which is surprisingly most fun out of these ) or you tag up.

Another option is to whisper commanders you already know NICELY to ask them tag up, lot of comms will tag up if you just ask them to

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women. https://youtu.be/6PQ6335puOc

Also, what everyone else said….

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

(edited by Choppy.4183)

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

Flip Supply Camps
Kill Dolyaks
Tap Keeps/Towers
Grab Ruins
Kill Sentries

You should be able to kill a sentry in 10 seconds, or even less.. and that’s solo. On my Ranger it’s easy. Then you run one way in case they’re looking and in case tracking is still on for a second or two.. then change directions. By the time they even try to get to the sentry you are already gone.

A camp that’s not T3 is pretty easy to get almost all of the npc’s down before the swords show up it you group them up and target the supervisor with everything you got.. Once again you can usually get the camp down solo pretty fast.

If you are bored and alone.. take up the challenge of doing things like this alone and time it. You will find tricks and skill combinations that you might not have thought of. At least you can have fun making the enemy run all over the place as you cap, port, cap the other side, port..

And then as people has noted.. there are towers.. Alone it’s not super easy but it’s doable.. With 3 or 4 people a tower can be capped easily and maybe you’ll even get some pvp out of the deal.

It’s not just all about zerg, roam, get blobbed, go home.. As others have noted.. it’s all about what YOU do with the game. For me, I don’t typically roam alone because I prefer to run with friends. Live or die, running with friends is what’s fun for me.

Bottom line.. find a way to have fun!

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Sit at spawn till one shows up. Very relaxing.
/double checks server to do this on… jq.. ok on the right server.
Sometimes you might want to visit your holdings to pick some vegetables and clothes and leathers and maybe mine some ore.

Or pretty much do what everyone else has suggested.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

You can tag up and be a commander.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: JonnyForgotten.4276

JonnyForgotten.4276

Run around taking camps, killing dollies, flipping sentries, and generally just seeing how much havoc one player can cause. Bonus points if you get an enemy group chasing you around that never quiiiite catches up to you.

Would also like to note that there are generally other roamers out there doing the same, and it’s quite easy to form and breakup small groups as needed for various objectives.

in WvW

Posted by: Mrs Qurly.9372

Mrs Qurly.9372

Flip Supply Camps
Kill Dolyaks
Tap Keeps/Towers
Grab Ruins
Kill Sentries

Just FYI supply traps:

*Disappears when the player that placed the trap leaves the map.
*Each player can have one of each type of WvW trap deployed at a time; setting a second one replaces the first.

in WvW

Posted by: Rambitshouse.8712

Rambitshouse.8712

Flip Supply Camps
Kill Dolyaks
Tap Keeps/Towers
Grab Ruins
Kill Sentries

You should be able to kill a sentry in 10 seconds, or even less.. and that’s solo. On my Ranger it’s easy. Then you run one way in case they’re looking and in case tracking is still on for a second or two.. then change directions. By the time they even try to get to the sentry you are already gone.

A camp that’s not T3 is pretty easy to get almost all of the npc’s down before the swords show up it you group them up and target the supervisor with everything you got.. Once again you can usually get the camp down solo pretty fast.

If you are bored and alone.. take up the challenge of doing things like this alone and time it. You will find tricks and skill combinations that you might not have thought of. At least you can have fun making the enemy run all over the place as you cap, port, cap the other side, port..

And then as people has noted.. there are towers.. Alone it’s not super easy but it’s doable.. With 3 or 4 people a tower can be capped easily and maybe you’ll even get some pvp out of the deal.

It’s not just all about zerg, roam, get blobbed, go home.. As others have noted.. it’s all about what YOU do with the game. For me, I don’t typically roam alone because I prefer to run with friends. Live or die, running with friends is what’s fun for me.

Bottom line.. find a way to have fun!

Yeah I feel ya, just gotta make the most of it with the current wvw mode state. Still get some nice fights, just hate that sentry marker from towers mainly and I roam on necro, so slow lol

It’s basically a billboard “NECRO HERE FREE BAG WITH EVERY IMMOBILIZED SKILL USED!”

Dtox

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

When there’s no commander you have to pay to play, ahem, transfer. That’s what GW2 WvW is all about.

And if you happen to choose poorly when you transfer, you’ll have to pay again.

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

If you are not willing to learn how to small scale fight to some degree there probably is not a reason to be in wvw when there is no tag.

Even just taking sentries and killing yaks will often lead to you getting into a fight with other players as those items are on well traveled locations for the most part. Or even competing with the 3rd faction roamers.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Roll a thief and flip/scout and contest. It is what I do between player fights. Thieves give you the freedom of exiting a fight if it turns. With some practice you will be picking off players at a respectable clip.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

With some practice you will be picking off players at a respectable clip.

Amd incidentally also be the least respected class.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Amd incidentally also be the least respected class.

Blowup Burn DH, Condi Chrono, Stun Lock Warrior, Epi Necro, blah, blah, blah… plenty of classes are problematic. QQing on the one class that isn’t good at zerging, skrimish or dueling is backwards thinking. Feel free to burn on Ghost Thief but most weapon sets on the Thief are atrocities after years of nerfs.

DH is sitting there with the lowest skill floor in the game and good/great at pretty much every aspect of WvW. For that matter Guardian hasn’t seen a significant nerf since launch despite being a dominant force in the meta since go. What is up with that?

Besides if respect is playing a sub-optimal class for scouting, load up a power Necro and get all that respect.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

You could run around aimlessly and get destroyed by the blob, or try to take a sentry and get destroyed by the blob, or take a camp, tower etc in a small team and get destroyed by the blob.

Or you can wait be become the blob and do as pointed out above.

But in all seriousness it can be pretty slim pickings when solo or in a small group, best to hit and run a minor location (a camp) to lure out the blob then take your main objective (camp etc). Or try to split up the blob by faking to take multiple locations then all converging to take your main objective whilst they are spread but all of these ideas take a couple of people.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Do you know what is most fun? When train go cap something find enemy player who try to level up, put him in block list and kill him before he can get cap. After that whisper him some kitten how he missed XP. Works even better in EotM because you can drop him down so train can’t even ress him.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: ThunderPanda.1872

ThunderPanda.1872

Grab a tonic and RP

Send me 1000g and I will stop trolling WvW forum.
I have a dream – Our Anet Senpai will make WvW Great Again!
WvW Forum is more competitive than WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Serkit.7836

Serkit.7836

grub

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Well if theres no commander and enemy has commander, you can always scout eb/home bl, learning siege placement, upgrading stuff, managing/reflipping map and hunting roamers on map are all kinda complex things that require some brain action, also siege building is time consuming. Also you’re guaranteed to find some enemies/friends.

My basic tips for this is:
1) More acs/trebs the better, cover all gates/walls. learn which cannons/mortars can hit gates. Normal acs on “unusual” walls are fine when “budget” solo scouting, because it buys a looooot of time against small groups.
2) No point sieging Garri/north towers heavily if alone, enemy will 90% of time flip side keeps first. Covering more than 2 keeps + 1 tower is little too much for 1 guy to refresh exspecially with enemies on map.
3) play a class that can 1v1, man ac and disable reliably. Warrior/scrapper/mesmer are good choices.
4) When upgrading a keep, sit near south Bay/Hills camp with speedy/packed dollies in and ignore norther camp completely, if camp flippers arrive on map, better kill them instantly on the souther camp, if they ignore you and go norther camp, let them flip it, some daily hunter will reflip it back. Also they cant “outplay” you by going norther camp and then porting back if you dont chase them.

My point is, if camps on home bl/eb are not yours, there is some enemy, better crush them. Sieging, scouting and/or upgrading just adds more variables which makes it more interesting. You can do all of them, or just one of them.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

One of the things I do when there is no tag is wonder off and build a catapult against one of their towers and quietly destroy a wall – if they are not scouting properly I might even get inside and can solo the tower lord (or call for some roamers to drop by when the wall goes down).

Best bit is when one enemy turns up expecting me to be blind to him and concentrate on the lord (lots of zerglings are guilty of that) and panics when I’m suddenly unloading in his face.

Or build a ballista and clear off their trebs in their keep.

There are lots of things to do without a com, you just need to engage that grey mess in your head.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: ThunderPanda.1872

ThunderPanda.1872

Or build a ballista and clear off their trebs in their keep.

That’s some dedication right here

Send me 1000g and I will stop trolling WvW forum.
I have a dream – Our Anet Senpai will make WvW Great Again!
WvW Forum is more competitive than WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Why there isn’t super cannon in normal WvW? If there would be super cannon you could contribute lot alone.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

If only there was a decision making flowchart for WvW we wouldn’t need anymore of these threads.

Enter map….
Is there commander tag?
Are you outmanned?
Is there a queue on map?
Do you want to be a scout?
Do you want to be a roamer?
Do you want to be a zergling?
Do you want to be a commander?
What class are you?