What class: Ranger or Elementalist?

in WvW

Posted by: Dezarys.1372

Dezarys.1372

THIS IS FOR WvW

I’m planning on running a DUO team and I have the choice of playing either a Ranger or Elementalist.

From what I see Rangers get Longbow, Traps, Constant 25%+ Movement Speed and more.

Elementalists get tons of great AoEs and attacks along with good heals… but

Can someone who has more experience tell me what was more fun to play, Ranger or Elementalist and why?

Guild Leader of Oakvale [Vale]
http://oakvale.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: GuardianOMS.8067

GuardianOMS.8067

You’re considering rolling a ranger? ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wait, it’s not April 1… buahaahaha ahahaha

Seriously though, elementalist offers a multitude of builds, skills, and options for how you want to play. Eles also have a passive speed boast if you’re really into that. They are great healers, can make decent bunkers, good burst damage, and loads of options for AoE. The best thing you can do it roll one of each, head to the Heart of the Mists, and try them out. Yes, I’m aware that it isn’t the same as WvW, but it will give you a feel of each class and what it can offer.

Sgt Killjoy – “Pedantic” “babe” and “bff” of Saiyr
The devs don’t care about WvW so I’m gonna kill players in PvE!

in WvW

Posted by: SmokeyNYY.7841

SmokeyNYY.7841

d/d ele

…………..

in WvW

Posted by: Anatolian Turk.4057

Anatolian Turk.4057

d/d ele

…………..

yes, a d/d ele is the best class in the game at the moment for both pve and pvp.

Honourable Guardian | Desolation
Arenanet killed WvW
R.I.P. WvW 2012 – 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Ray.2640

Ray.2640

Seriously though, elementalist offers a multitude of builds, skills, and options for how you want to play. Eles also have a passive speed boast if you’re really into that. They are great healers, can make decent bunkers, good burst damage, and loads of options for AoE.

You mean something else then d/d bunker healing ele exists?

d/d ele has everything pretty much. Condition removal, perm swiftness, best mobility, tons of AoE, lots of defense, stuns, stun breakers, party buffing, etc. Switch to a staff and the class is every bit as good as a longbow ranger and then some at siege.

They can also instakill anything in a 9001 units radius and perma fear every enemy on the battlefield.

Seriously though, ele is probably the better class if you’re going WvW. Rangers can beat eles easilly in 1v1 if they have the build for it but with that you’re not going to be usefull in all the other aspects of WvW. Or they can be really good in the usual WvW gameplay but then they will need to run with a group for maximum efficiency. Ele however can spec d/d for roaming or whatever(obviously) and whip out a staff, change 2 traits around and can still be quite decent in zergs, or go for a staff build to be even more (maybe the best?) effective in zergs but you won’t be able to do anything outside of them. In the end it all depends on your playstyle. As GuardianOMS said, go test them out in the mists for builds, go try to play them a little and it should give you more information on which you want to play.
Also no one is stopping you from playing both.

(edited by Ray.2640)

in WvW

GuardianOMS.8067

Seriously though, elementalist offers a multitude of builds, skills, and options for how you want to play. Eles also have a passive speed boast if you’re really into that. They are great healers, can make decent bunkers, good burst damage, and loads of options for AoE.

You mean something else then d/d bunker healing ele exists?

I’m not sure what you’re asking. Are you saying you’re unsure that anything beyond being pure dps, tank, or a healer exists?

in WvW

Posted by: Ray.2640

Ray.2640

I was referring to the most common ele build, which focuses on healing and is considered a bunker build with double daggers, hence the d/d bunker healing eles.
In the higher tiers of Zergwars you may find more staff focused eles but other then the usual 0/10/0/30/30 there is no build variety at all. Of course there is always that one individual but you’ll either be too specialized to be useful in other parts of the game or you’ll just be just plain bad.

in WvW

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

if you’re running in small groups do not play a ranger. you’re just going to die a lot.

elementalists have the tools necessary to escape bad situations that crop up unexpectedly, rangers simply do not.

also, if you plan on doing any larger group stuff.. don’t play a ranger, you’re not going to help out a lot.

the ranger class is only for those who absolutely love the playstyle and the theme of the class, it does no given thing better than one or all of the other classes and is worse at many key things.

-Desirz Matheon

in WvW

GuardianOMS.8067

Ah, I missed the sarcasm then. The majority of eles do go with the most common build but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and hope that they will try anything/everything and play what they enjoy, not just what is popular or the easiest.

in WvW

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

The only thing a (skilled) ranger can really excel at is 1v1 duels (or survive being outnumbered, but they won’t be able to finish anyone).

Eles are by far the more powerful in all other aspects; and hell, they aren’t bad at 1v1 either. AoE master + escape master = one incredibly annoying SoaB jumping down on your rams and doing a ton of AoE and getting a guaranteed run back to safety even if they’re downed.

You’ll be useful and score a ton of lootbags without even trying. Coming from someone who’s mained ranger since launch, definitely go ele.

Disciple of Quag

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

Ranger is not nearly as bad as everyone thinks, just takes more work, higher skill ceiling for most of its builds, while the ele has some easy to reach skill ceilings that make it more noob friendly.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: Phoenix.7069

Phoenix.7069

Rangers have the best water field in the game, Healing Spring which is amazing for large WvW fights when people need to heal. Traps are really nice as an AoE in a 1v1 and can get rid of alot of pesky thieves and are pretty useful in zergs with the throwing trap trait. Greatsword No.4 skill has a 4 second block which negates all ranged damage and blocks a melee attack.

Rangers are pretty useful but so are Elementalists. The staff has the only (to my knowledge) lightning field in the game making it useful for speed buffs with blast finishers. Staff has a range of AoE and the lightning field is a stun lock which is great for separating people from zergs. Utilities imo for Elementalists are lackluster and most of the utilities eles run with are selfish (cantrips). A good D/D ele will split a zerg and do damage to alot of them and make it out alive while a bad one will be burst down in an instance, it takes practice though.

Avis – Sylvari Ranger
Ävia – Asura Thief
Overseer of Hired Assassins – Sanctum Of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Seriously though, elementalist offers a multitude of builds, skills, and options for how you want to play. Eles also have a passive speed boast if you’re really into that. They are great healers, can make decent bunkers, good burst damage, and loads of options for AoE. The best thing you can do it roll one of each, head to the Heart of the Mists, and try them out. Yes, I’m aware that it isn’t the same as WvW, but it will give you a feel of each class and what it can offer.

This post made me laugh about April 1st too, when you said elementalist offers a multitude of builds.

in WvW

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

You must be insane if you are considering rolling a ranger.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in WvW

GuardianOMS.8067

This post made me laugh about April 1st too, when you said elementalist offers a multitude of builds.

I don’t know about you but I don’t find ignorance funny at all.

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

I run duo alot of the time as a dnd ele. My immobilise,root,snare added with rtl+updraft makes for good CC and char. lockdown. Add that to aoe,combos,aura and plain damage combined with substantial survivability and i would take a good dnd over a ranger anyday. But as you know, any well played class is usually enough with duos.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: Diehard.1432

Diehard.1432

Ele hands down.

Garuda X, lvl 80 human Siamoth Ranger JQ SEA
[VaL]

in WvW

Posted by: daphoenix.4283

daphoenix.4283

Excala, Expert Elementalist
Fort Aspenwood [EXC]
http://www.youtube.com/user/daphoenix555?feature=mhee

in WvW

Posted by: Phoenix.7069

Phoenix.7069

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Daphoenix posted in this thread. Elementalists win.

Avis – Sylvari Ranger
Ävia – Asura Thief
Overseer of Hired Assassins – Sanctum Of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Teamkiller.4315

Teamkiller.4315

Rangers have the best water field in the game, Healing Spring which is amazing for large WvW fights when people need to heal. Traps are really nice as an AoE in a 1v1 and can get rid of alot of pesky thieves and are pretty useful in zergs with the throwing trap trait. Greatsword No.4 skill has a 4 second block which negates all ranged damage and blocks a melee attack.

Rangers are pretty useful but so are Elementalists. The staff has the only (to my knowledge) lightning field in the game making it useful for speed buffs with blast finishers. Staff has a range of AoE and the lightning field is a stun lock which is great for separating people from zergs. Utilities imo for Elementalists are lackluster and most of the utilities eles run with are selfish (cantrips). A good D/D ele will split a zerg and do damage to alot of them and make it out alive while a bad one will be burst down in an instance, it takes practice though.

I do agree that rangers have their utility in large fights, but eles are by FAR the better class for wvw. They don’t actually need to use supportive utilities because of their weapon skills.

I will say that the spirit of renewal is very very useful…and their traps + longbow 1500 range is also pretty useful. Other than that, there’s really not much a ranger can do that an ele wouldn’t be better at.

in WvW

Posted by: Netherphoenix.9180

Netherphoenix.9180

Now I will start by saying that I haven’t rolled an ele yet, but I love roaming solo or in a small group with my ranger. I use a gs/sb beastmaster hybrid build that’s is actually pretty effective at keeping me alive and on the move. Does decent damage as long as you manage your pets abilities and time your dodges.

Immortal Soulhunters [HUNT]
Lord Äpollo – 80 Ranger
Borlis Pass

(edited by Netherphoenix.9180)