What future siege engines would you like to see?

in WvW

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

A few ideas:

• Howitzer – We have the cannon and mortar. A howitzer would be the next tier. It would have the longest range and damage of any siege. As such, its plans would be costly and take a lot of supply.
  • Mobile flame ram, catapult and ballista. They cannot fire while mobile, but should be able to be pushed around very slowly like their real-life historical counterparts that had wheels. When I say slow I mean golem-slow. I would actually like to see current stationary ram/catapult/ballista replaced with mobile. Tyria should have the common-sense and technology to put wheels on those things. Golems would still have an advantage because they attack while moving, jump and travel uneven terrain. (stairs, etc.)
  • Land transporation vehicles — in the form of some Asurian technology or horse carriages. These would travel faster than ground and could carry multiple occupants. Asurian vehicles would allow more occupants and travel faster, but more expensive in cost and supply. Given their advantage for travel, destroying the vehicle would kill all occupants. (which makes sense)
  • Creature-based “siege weapons”. Perhaps an enslaved dragon or giant you could unleash on enemy keeps?

in WvW

Posted by: Corsix.4895

Corsix.4895

Support siege toys. Like a crossbow rack built onto walls, lets defenders use crossbows as an environmental weapon for people who arnt specced for that or cant do good ranged dmg (guardians)

Funny thing about the flame ram, it doesnt have wheels, it actually hovers, which would both make it very mobile and very bad at ramming things while not moving.

Burn them burn them burn them aaaaallll sings
Burn them burn them burn them whoooaaaa!

in WvW

Posted by: Fugly.5287

Fugly.5287

Airships.

in WvW

Posted by: Enenion.8127

Enenion.8127

“Mobile flame ram, catapult and ballista.”

Siege Turtles. Enough said.

I’d also like to see some defensive stuff like force field generators. You place the field generator and that then blocks enemy projectiles while taking damage for every projectile that it blocks.

[Help],
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Trismegistos.3046

Trismegistos.3046

gryphon platform – target area get’s bombed by an npc gryphon rider after a few seconds.

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Asurian lasers and nukes would be fun.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Charr, Sylvari and Asuran Siege.
Charr siege consisting of their steampunk technology: Sawblade throwers, Bomb-Lobbers, Tanks (Mobile Ballista).
Asura siege consisting of laser pew pew type stuff: Energy cannons, Rams with energy shields to protect vs projectiles, Plasma throwers.
Sylvari siege consisting of plant based attacks: A Giant seed turret that launches poison or confusion pods, Ancients that act like siege golems but have different tactics, Mushroom defenses that cause blind, confusion or poison to enemies in PBAoE.

Oh I saved the best for last…
BATTLE DOLYAKS
With room for upto three players, the battle Dolyak has a driver and two gunner positions. Two mounted heavy crossbows or Small cannons on the side, the driver/rider has access to Dolyak charge, stomp and Ram

(edited by Elthurien.8356)

in WvW

Posted by: Proud Heart.7623

Proud Heart.7623

The problem I see with mobile siege equipment: Mesmers (I play one in addition to my Warrior, so you know)

Build 6 mobile flame rams. Stack them all on top of a mesmer portal. Mesmer runs up to keep door and lays down the portal exit. Door goes down in 30 seconds. =/

Character Name: Proud Heart
Guild: Team Legacy [TL]
Server: Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Corsix.4895

Corsix.4895

Siege Turtles? Like Age of Wonders, lol

Burn them burn them burn them aaaaallll sings
Burn them burn them burn them whoooaaaa!

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

The problem I see with mobile siege equipment: Mesmers (I play one in addition to my Warrior, so you know)

Build 6 mobile flame rams. Stack them all on top of a mesmer portal. Mesmer runs up to keep door and lays down the portal exit. Door goes down in 30 seconds. =/

So set a condition on Siege that they cannot go through mesmer portals.

in WvW

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

The solution is as easy as making siege engines, other than golems, not able to use mesmer portals.

The difference in my opinion is that the golem is a vehicle you enter, but siege engines such as ballista/catapult/flame-ram would not be vehicles. You stand behind them and push them. I would imagine controlling a mobile siege engine would give you an extra skill that reads “Push” and allows you to push the siege engine in one direction. If you wanted to go another direction you would have to use the rotate skills first, and then push. This is exactly how the siege engines would be used historically in real-life medieval times. (well technically, they may have been pulled to their destination)

(edited by Gilgamesh.2561)

in WvW

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Underwater siege equipment… please bring back underwater gates. They existed in beta, and they still do on the map, you even have npc guards standing around some wells, just gates can not be damaged. However, add a siege weapon to go with them.