What is a pip and why do I care?

in WvW

Posted by: All Matters Fecal.9560

All Matters Fecal.9560

Returning from a long hiatus and I’m seeing pips for participating in WvW and a bunch of people really mad about them and discussing them everywhere…what are these pips for and why should I care about them?

Also, why isn’t the WvW forum full of gameplay and strategy discussion? All I see is complaining about strawman reasons why people are losing or not having fun…example: glicko isn’t the reason why your group lost a fight. What’s up with you guys?

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

for some kittenty skins as far i could figure out and some ascended armor/weap(which are the skins?) ah u can choose stats on the ascended crap but if u spend 3g u can just mystic forge the ascended stuff u have already and u got it done..

tbh i dont really understand the whole Pip crap also people have been nagging at me through pm that im a pip farmer while i checked the stuff i can get and i really dont understand why i would want to farm pips

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Someone posting from their F2P account?

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Someone posting from their F2P account?

F2P cannot post into the forum
https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230165307-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: All Matters Fecal.9560

All Matters Fecal.9560

Got clarification of what a pip is. WvW is still the same old WvW…boring as all hell.

I must be missing something because I can’t see why people play this mode. I really want to like it and I’m purely a pvp player in all MMOs I play, but this is not PvP…it’s PvE with the (seemingly) annoyance of PvP that slows down your PvE.

Zergs and groups avoid PvP fights, people capturing towers/camps/zones for little to no apparent reason, punishment for getting killed is extremely steep with regards to getting back into any potential action…

Someone please re-align my expectations so I can enjoy WvW just as much as it seems other people are.

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Zergs and groups avoid PvP fights, people capturing towers/camps/zones for little to no apparent reason.

Yeah basically it’s a PvE-race (who captures more faster) in a PvP-zone.

How much PvP it is strongly depends on time (evening 8-11pm middle US for NA / CEST for EU) is much more pvp that the rest of the time) and the group you belong to. Some guild groups just fight eah other and ignore most PvE.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

Rewards/pips are just another lever for those that get played by Skinnerboxes in various games. There, that’s what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Got clarification of what a pip is. WvW is still the same old WvW…boring as all hell.

I must be missing something because I can’t see why people play this mode. I really want to like it and I’m purely a pvp player in all MMOs I play, but this is not PvP…it’s PvE with the (seemingly) annoyance of PvP that slows down your PvE.

Zergs and groups avoid PvP fights, people capturing towers/camps/zones for little to no apparent reason, punishment for getting killed is extremely steep with regards to getting back into any potential action…

Someone please re-align my expectations so I can enjoy WvW just as much as it seems other people are.

I completely agree with this

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

somewhat tru, only reason i play WvW over sPvP because sPvP is so easy to predict now im not saying im a beast and i kitten in sPvP but if u got the time and the will to invest in sPvP u can basically read most players and u know exactly whats on cd and whats not.

which is why i prefer WvW roaming because i dont know wtf is on CD i dont know how many enemies are around corner i dont know kitten beside fact that im gonna get ganked or im going to gank. this random factor makes the difference for me.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

maybe you are in a bad time zone because I get plenty of fights when I play wvw.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

it’s a mechanic to abuse your psychology and the science used behind is generally known as “sunk cost fallacy”. read up on it if you are interested.

it’s basically trying to screw your mental health so it can abuse the damage to make you feel like you Need to play more and Need to invest more, than you would if they hadn’t screwed your mental health.
sadly the damage is not only going to be attached to gw2, it will become an issue for anything else which, even by normal means, poke the fear and/or addiction center and will likely take years to undo if it can even be undone (if it has the wanted effect on you).
it’s a bad thing and it saddens me to see games pushing so hard in this direction..

ignoring all the science and psychology (since lets all go full trump).
it is a way to “reward” long time players by punishing newer or returning players with FAR less reward for the same action and same time and effort put into that action. so that people who’s been here for far longer can get yet another “bonus” compared to others.

and a simple suggestion to ease the issue(as pips are not going away):
remove the time limit for pips and let it reset when maxed out.

maybe you are in a bad time zone because I get plenty of fights when I play wvw.

i didn’t touch on the balance of Pips at all, but it is horrific.
the easier the fights are the more pips you will easy mode make. the harder the less you will make.
doing over 1mill damage in a big fight (found a good spot and did insane damage since i was ignored and they outnumbered us extremely heavily) i still got 2pips shortly after (think it was 3pips then 2 on the next one).

as balance of it goes, its as mentioned a way to punish the majority of the community to make it seems like you are rewarding the minority longest playing wvwvw players.
it doesn’t even seem like it reward them more than before, it simply just punishes everyone else.

(edited by Nyx.6532)

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

It’s a mechanic designed to be a band aide for no new content. Instead it creates a void between vet players and new players and drives a wedge between the two demographics which pits them against one another, all while saping the fun out of wvw and making it seem like a chore.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

A few other MMOs have PvP servers or other faction abilities which allow players to flag up that they are available for PvP in the PvE open world maps. WvW is roughly GW2’s version of that.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

A few other MMOs have PvP servers or other faction abilities which allow players to flag up that they are available for PvP in the PvE open world maps. WvW is roughly GW2’s version of that.

Exactly. WvW is what most MMOs would call PvPvE. ANet confuse matters by referring to it as “PvP” when they already have an actual PvP mode.

If you are only interested in PvP then WvW is not a sensible option.

in WvW

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

Exactly. WvW is what most MMOs would call PvPvE. ANet confuse matters by referring to it as “PvP” when they already have an actual PvP mode.

If you are only interested in PvP then WvW is not a sensible option.

Compared to other games, I think WvW is a success.

In most MMO, the “open world pvp areas”, tend to be empty. Especially when the game has some gear race. Camper syndrome tends to be the most recurrent. The “ultra lord of deaths” with the latest gear or build and plenty of time available, park in these areas to farm kills. But it does not take long for the noobs to realize that this is a dangerous zone for them and then they stop walking there. That is why I consider it wise for Anet not to listen to all requests made in the foruns.

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)