What makes a server good at WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Think it’s been said plenty, coverage. When your sniper team is larger than the opponents main zerg you’re going to win, it has zero to do with skill.

in WvW

Posted by: FractalChaos.6539

FractalChaos.6539

Sheer numbers trumps all. Any server arguing otherwise is being hypocritical.

People’s ignorance really pisses me off.
Stupidity is when you can’t help it;
Ignorance is when you choose not to understand.

in WvW

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

Forum infractions.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Forum infractions.

Nah… Good forum warriors don’t get infracted, because they don’t just go around posting senseless insults like “Forum Trolls” do.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: mallas.9836

mallas.9836

What makes for a good WvW server? Is it because of numbers? A good community? Skilled players? Tons of guilds on a server? What makes a server a good WvW competitor?

Eredon Terrace!

depends on the server and guilds on it. Some are a just coverage. Some are coverage and numbers. Some are both and skill. Some are all 3 and suspicious behavior. Some are bought servers which after a few months die horribly like SoR.

but overall its coverage.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

depends on the server and guilds on it. Some are a just coverage. Some are coverage and numbers. Some are both and skill. Some are all 3 and suspicious behavior. Some are bought servers which after a few months die horribly like SoR.

In what way was SOR a ‘bought’ server?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

coverage ofc , nothing else :p

in WvW

Posted by: Kellth.2146

Kellth.2146

Everyone is saying coverage. Which I totally agree with. But what about skilled players? Do you believe a skilled group of players can make a “good” WvW server?

Olichann | Eredon Terrace |

Loyalty Wins Wars…

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Everyone is saying coverage. Which I totally agree with. But what about skilled players? Do you believe a skilled group of players can make a “good” WvW server?

Well if it’s 100 skilled players vs 100 not so skilled players then yes, the skilled side should win 100% of the time. If it’s 50 skill vs 100 un-skilled, the 100 will still inevitably win.

You see, the 50 skilled players may win all the fights, but what do they do if larger group splits? 50 players fight while the other 50 players K-train all the towers. The smaller group can’t be in 2 places at once hence why coverage wins 100% of the time. That’s what makes a server dominant.

in WvW

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

Good players >>>>>>>> anything else 15 vs 40 is very possible in this game 50 vs 100 is also. Good players will be on a lot, which equates to coverage. I’d take one good player over 5 regular players any day. The people talking saying coverage above all speaking directly about midnight to 8am are hilarious. That is 1/3 of the day. Make up what you lose the rest of the time.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

Coverage brings transfers
transfers brings increase in glicko
increase in glicko brings tougher opponents
tougher opponents makes you better
being better means you can only be beaten by coverage…

That being said, I think a lot of it is participation and the commitment of that participation. Getting the folks online organized and coordinated will make any server better and might attract the coverage.

in WvW

Posted by: stoat.4257

stoat.4257

Coverage is king but uniblob vs multiple groups with equal numbers on the map and the uniblob will get wrecked (in ppt). Generally servers who uniblob as a matter of practice will also wipe to much less than a full queue.

You don’t gain much skill pressing 1 all day.

Maguuma

in WvW

Kellth.2146

Good players >>>>>>>> anything else 15 vs 40 is very possible in this game 50 vs 100 is also. Good players will be on a lot, which equates to coverage. I’d take one good player over 5 regular players any day. The people talking saying coverage above all speaking directly about midnight to 8am are hilarious. That is 1/3 of the day. Make up what you lose the rest of the time.

True. In my guild 15 of us were able to take down 40. It was hard and was a long battle but because of right commands and correct stacks etc etc. We were able to take them down. We used our CC correctly and used choke points to our advantage. Skill = Zerg bust

Loyalty Wins Wars…

in WvW

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

I won’t touch the numbers/coverage thing but there are two additional things that separate servers

1) PPT management, making sure you take/hold/don’t lose things for the tick
2) Open field fighting ability, allows you to force fights the way you want them.

OFF allows you to break sieges when necessary, demoralise the enemy zergball aand generally dictate the flow of the map.

in WvW

Posted by: Aurust.8961

Aurust.8961

What makes for a good WvW server? Is it because of numbers? A good community? Skilled players? Tons of guilds on a server? What makes a server a good WvW competitor?

Eredon Terrace!

SOR was in tier 1 for a year…… and we never bought one guild.

Master- [DKLT] The Darkness and The Light
JQ WvW

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Tell me what you think!

Training with coverage…

Without both, servers are no more than skirmishers with wants.

Eredon Terrace!

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

What the hell does SB and Jormag have to do with WvW, lol.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

There are two things. Coverage is great because you can pick up the slack during other server’s off hours. Community is great because you can make the most of your time during the hours you’re online and the zergs are generally stronger (so you win more fights).

That obviously means you need both coverage and a strong community to be the most perfect server.

Maguuma Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: CuRtoKy.8576

CuRtoKy.8576

Number of people posting QQ2v1 threads.

Seriously, coverage across time zones

in WvW

Posted by: nglcpyro.4906

nglcpyro.4906

Humble in victory, gracious in defeat (which it seems the smaller servers do the most). Another is the strength of the militia and their tenacity no matter if you the largest or smallest server, no matter the odds they’ll always fight and give it their all…. and enjoy themselves!

[OCD]Ordo Contegium Destinatus
-Plush Griffon Recruit of the Jade Quarry Militia-

(edited by nglcpyro.4906)

in WvW

Posted by: FractalChaos.6539

FractalChaos.6539

Eredon Terrace!

No, but “we”— and by we I mean the self-appointed Glorious Leaders/cowards we had who bailed and ran to another server under the guise of We just want good fights — did a bunch of back-door recruiting and chasing other guilds to get them to transfer. I was there when our population in WvW seemed to double then triple in the space of a few weeks.

There was lots of chatter on our server TS about this guild and that guild possibly transferring over, this guild leader or another in talks with this other guild leader about coming over…

We’re still picking up the pieces after you quitters transferred. Worry about your own bandwagon server now, SoR will eventually rebound without you and your “not buying guilds”.

People’s ignorance really pisses me off.
Stupidity is when you can’t help it;
Ignorance is when you choose not to understand.

in WvW

Posted by: neonreaper.4805

neonreaper.4805

lmao

[BE] Pumpkin / Rhinox3 / Reyn Time / Pale
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Kellth.2146

The Aftermath: ( I created a video about this topic and named it 5 things that makes a server good at WvW. I took a lot of your suggestions and added a few of my my own.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsUjFkQyiZk&list=UUX00S-7H4nEvwpkEKr1uevQ

Loyalty Wins Wars…

in WvW

Posted by: Skeletor.9360

Skeletor.9360

Coverage is the linchpin, but not the only factor by far.

Good commanders and strong guilds to either build around or to work in tandem with mixed groups is important.

The level of participation of the average combatant is highly important. A solitary roamer doing their own thing is not very helpful. A roamer on VoIP, slapping yaks and scouting enemy movements is invaluable.

Lastly the ratio of hardcore WvW vs casuals. If everyone on most given servers were to jump into WvW in the middle of the day you’d have a beastly EU presence that would put a lot of numbers on the board.
The greatest thing preventing this is that most servers don’t have many hardcore WvW folks who run midday or have tags to follow at that time of day.

How much time people are willing to invest in WvW is also key. Most NA servers see 90% of the heated fights happen between 5pm-9pm server time. However NA folks are getting home from work as early as 1pm server time, but you don’t see broad pushes at that time.

You want to play the ppt game, then you got to recruit hard for your guild and get like-minded folks. You on the East Coast and get home quick, find everyone in WvW on at that time and recruit them to your guild. Buy a tag and just PvD everything before the enemy gets home. You on the West Coast, stay up a little late and end NA strong.

The natural OCX/SEA populations on the Gold League servers have typically been on those servers for a long time. They aren’t going to suddenly decide they want to PvD in Bronze League some day; nor will they appreciate being forced to by some of the lame suggestions that clutter this forum (they’d probably quit playing).

You simply have to look at how to better use what you have and make the best of it.

No…100% wrong…ALL coverage

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

I’d say 75% numbers and coverage, 15% pug morale, 10% skill.

Numbers and coverage being the basis for your servers position on the ladder is pretty much indisputable.

Pug morale is more complex, particularly on EBG where the newest and most fickle players tend to flock to. Celebrity pugmanders can sometimes get a huge following that can hold down extra points on EBG and free up guilds to fight over BL maps, but it’s a double edge sword when those pugmanders get burned out or quit, and suddenly all those pugs disappear. This has happened at some point in time on all the servers I’ve played on.

Skill is a subjective topic, but some servers do a better job holding or getting points with smaller forces. I am certain in a few matchups with YB in the past, at some points they would have no more than 20 players total, and yet they would hold 4 T3 keeps with ease all through the weekend because it was all siege capped and scouted. On the attack side, some servers do a really good job with havoc teams that endlessly frustrate zerg balls and pug blobs, and when they do go for upgraded keeps, it’s an all out assault with multiple guilds instead of 2 hours of poking and prodding siege wars.

in WvW

Posted by: MagnusLL.8473

MagnusLL.8473

If by “good” you mean “wins the PPT game”, then the 3 main factors are:

1) coverage
2) coverage
3) coverage

It is, unfortunately, that simple.

The points for stomping have somehow moved a little bit the balance toward “pvp activity” rather than “pvdoor activity” but it’s still way too little of a change. Every matchup is won by one of those “400+ vs 100- points tick” timezones.

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

I fear even the 4) and 5) and 6) win factor is coverage

And that is boring, especially as we have this boring thing now for nearly 2 years.

Please change it ANet

Look at all the proposals we worked out for you and make something better out of it!
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Nerf-the-domination-of-Coverage

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Darius.1430

Darius.1430

The Aftermath: ( I created a video about this topic and named it 5 things that makes a server good at WvW. I took a lot of your suggestions and added a few of my my own.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsUjFkQyiZk&list=UUX00S-7H4nEvwpkEKr1uevQ

Nice video… I did notice you clarified/changed your question by titling the video as “competitive” WvW server vice “good”, which helps validates the points you make.