What's a pirate ship?

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Don Zardeone.8730

Don Zardeone.8730

Q:

I see this being mentioned everywhere. In-game I get no response, forum search shows nothing and google just gives me actual pirate ships.

It’s a WvW term.

I suspect it means 2 zergs shooting at each other?

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

A:

Oh boy, Jskip. You really are taking things incredibly seriously with this.

If you must know, it’s likely that pirate ship battles are a remnant of the group of wvwers that took a short trip to aa (different game, we don’t need to talk about it) where there was an element of fighting from pirate ships, especially with rangers. The emphasis on ranged in that game was then found in gw2 wvw, which meant people started jokingly calling it pirate ship battles. At least that’s how the term started being used in my circles. I doubt many people were referring to pirate ship battles before ~nov/dec 2014.

We’re not literally attempting to be pirates, and we’re not literally on ships. And by the way, if you are going to get incredibly literal with things, I would point out that we wouldn’t call them naval battles because we’re not actually on ships. (to reiterate, I don’t care what we call them, I’m just making a point ^.^)

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Pirate ship = range meta

Two groups just stand and hurl range attacks at each other, like a battle between two pirate ships.

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

It took me quiet a few minutes to find this :P

#I no words have"

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Pirate ship = range meta

Two groups just stand and hurl range attacks at each other, like a battle between two pirate ships.

Wait that is a bad name for it if it was just range only. Pirate ship is close to what we have now but its not pure ranges its ranges to weaken then melee to finishes off the downs and the ppl still up like in a real pirate fight. That the thing about pirate why would they sink a ship when they could just take it over or at least take the look (its very hard to loot a ship that is on the bottom of the ocean).

You guys are way too use to having the loot come to you when in “real life” you still got to go get it even though you won the day. Gold or really any thing of worth is not light and your not going to truly fix a ship that you where just using to fight another ship.

If you want to get down to it that how you fight land war combat. You bombard the other side by some means then send in ground troops to take and hold the land.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

(edited by Jski.6180)

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

You’re taking this waaaay too literally.

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Then call it a naval battle is it really THAT hard? When you call it a pirate ship fight it means more then ranges attking it sounds like your “looting” the other team some how.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

Then call it a naval battle is it really THAT hard? When you call it a pirate ship fight it means more then ranges attking it sounds like your “looting” the other team some how.

ya you’re taking this too literally

[SA]

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

Medieval Naval Battle Meta!
Enjoy the 2 in 1 game!

Yes, Called it! :P

(And if you click on the name in the quote, it’ll take you to the thread where I said it, so no, it’s not cheating )

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I would just call it ranged meta. Non of this obscure metaphors that dont even make sense.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Watch the TA vs LaG gvg and you’ll see what it is

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

Pirate ship was the old( pre-stability change) meta. We are now in the Static Gunslinger™ meta. Where you can picture each blob as old west gunslinger packing a six shooter of air tuned elementalist.

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Nymph of Meliai.6739

Nymph of Meliai.6739

Nymeria Meliae | SoS
Acid Bath Babies Go Plop Plop [FizZ]

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

When I first heard the term pirateship meta, I thought it meant staying at safe range and pulling a few players from the other zergs with Magnet Pulls/focus #4 on mesmer, to focus them down. You know, like the grapples in a pirateship…

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I would just call it ranged meta. Non of this obscure metaphors that dont even make sense.

Eh, players on this forums like to make bad buzz words and run them into the ground. I haven’t seen a single case of this occurring in my play yet. I suspect those doing it now, likely did it before as well.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Eh, players on this forums like to make bad buzz words and run them into the ground. I haven’t seen a single case of this occurring in my play yet. I suspect those doing it now, likely did it before as well.

i see it rather often. it happens when ppt commanders collide or when a fights commander is outnumbered. or when the commander starts getting singled out. he wont engage cuz he doesnt wanna risk losing but also doesnt wanna let the enemy do whatever they were about to do.

before the stab change i would see people just charge in on a veil. now veils are mostly feints to bait cc, but cc is on a short enough cd that nothing gets accomplished.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

I see this being mentioned everywhere. In-game I get no response, forum search shows nothing and google just gives me actual pirate ships.

It’s a WvW term.

I suspect it means 2 zergs shooting at each other?

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

What's a pirate ship?

in WvW

Posted by: rainisword.7860

rainisword.7860

The pirate ship meta has just become a more common place word used in wvw since the stab changes because its what pug fights have resulted in.

However, the pirate ship word and meta has actually been around for a while in the gvg scene but for different reasons. The main reason was because everyone ran super glassy ranged with plus condi, and had enough damage to 1 push each other, so people became to scared to push most times and a lot of gvgs resulted in pirate ship battles battles of range focus for about 3 minutes until someone spiked down an enemy and from there, people would use that downed to try to snowball the fight.