What's the swiss-style tournament?

in WvW

Posted by: blackoil.2673

blackoil.2673

I mean, how are the matches done?

[lemme switch “server” for “player” and make 1vs1 matches, for the sake of simplicity]

As I just researched (wikipedia FTW), it’s aim is to match higher-rank players with higher-rank players without pairing them twice.

What I don’t understand if this “without pairing them twice” means twice in a row or twice in the whole tournament.

Can anyone make me an example with 6 players? As far as I understood it’s as follows:
[playerN allways wins to playerN-K ]

Round 1:
1vs4 -> Wins 1
2vs5 -> Wins 2
3vs6 -> Wins 3
ranks:
1 point: 1, 2, 3
0 points: 4, 5, 6

Round 2:
1vs3 -> Wins 1
4vs6 -> Wins 4
2vs5 -> Wins 2 (wooops!)
ranks:
2: 1, 2
1: 3, 4
0: 5, 6

Round 3:
1vs2 -> Wins 1
3vs4 -> Wins 3
5vs6 -> Wins 5
ranks:
3: 1
2: 2, 3
1: 4, 5
0: 6

Round 4:
But here the preference is to match ties, so I have something I don’t want:
2vs3 -> Wins 2
4vs5 -> Wins 4
1vs6 -> Wins 1 (woops!)
ranks:
4: 1
3: 2
2: 3, 4
1: 5
0: 6

And then the next would be 1vs2, 3vs4 and 5vs6, where we’re repeating some matches again.

Am i correct? Or what I’m missing?
There’s not too much info in the internet…

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

In chess-tournaments which are made according to swiss-tournament “without pairing them twice” means You meet every opponent MOSTLY ONCE in the tournament.

However this is much easier in chess as there are only 2 opponents per match, and you have many more participants, and still only need 5-7 rounds to make the result quite decisive.

I guess for WvW “without pairing them twice” is either dropped (probably better) or is likely be implemented as: A match with the same three server is not repeated.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Sevenn.3085

Sevenn.3085

its like any normal tournament, just with holes in.

[ECL] [CE] [Oz]

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Not really sure. I know its winner goes up, and loser leaves the torny. The loser then battles the lower tier winner and only if the lower tier winner wins the loser of the upper tier then that world goes up to fight the original winner until 7 rounds are over and a winner is called.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

It is very simple, servers that win more will fight other servers that win more and servers that lose will fight other servers that lose.

Example using the the first 3 tiers with wins being worth 3pts, 2nd 2pts, and 3rd 1pt.

Round 1:
BG wins: 3pt
JQ 2nd: 2pt
SoR 3rd: 1pt

TC wins: 3pt
SoS 2nd: 2pt
FA 3rd: 1pt

Mag wins: 3pt
SBI 2nd: 2pt
BP 3rd: 1pt

The next round is going to be:
BG vs TC vs Mag(all 3 pt)
JQ vs SoS vs SBI
SoR vs FA vs BP(all 1pt)

Basically the higher tier servers then get a free win. So the next match will be:
BG(6pt) vs JQ(5pt) vs TC(5pt)
SoR(4pt) vs SoS(4pt) vs Mag(4pt)
SBI vs FA(3pt) vs BP(2pt)

After another round it will be:
BG(9pt) vs JQ(7pt) vs SoR(7pt)
TC(6pt) vs SoS(6pt) vs SBI
Mag(5pt) vs FA(5pt) vs BP(3pt)

The problem is that there is no tournament system given the current state of WvW that won’t result in terrible matchups and this one is no different. ArenaNet keeps trying to force tournaments and competitiveness on WvW, it simply isn’t in a state for that to happen. The disparity between the tiers is HUGE and that plays out in a tournament via horrible matchups. A tournament where you already know the winners is just a farce, the only question right now is whether it’s JQ or BG in 1st place, the rest don’t even matter.

(edited by Distaste.4801)

in WvW

Posted by: jojojoon.8607

jojojoon.8607

Well, in sports, there’s always a favorite to win the entire tournament. For example, in football, the year the patriots was undefeated in the regular season, they should have won the superbowl that year but was upset by the giants. BG is the odds on favorite to win this tournament. The difference is that in sports there’s a higher chance for an upset, while in wvw, it’s unlikely the favorite will be upset unless there’s a prolong 2v1 occurring or of other unusual circumstances like intentionally tanking or holidays.

in WvW

Distaste.4801

Well, in sports, there’s always a favorite to win the entire tournament. For example, in football, the year the patriots was undefeated in the regular season, they should have won the superbowl that year but was upset by the giants. BG is the odds on favorite to win this tournament. The difference is that in sports there’s a higher chance for an upset, while in wvw, it’s unlikely the favorite will be upset unless there’s a prolong 2v1 occurring or of other unusual circumstances like intentionally tanking or holidays.

The main difference is that in football you ALWAYS have the chance to win. You have the same number of players and it comes down to training, skill and tactics; all of which your team controls. In WvW there are servers that have ZERO chance of winning and it’s not in their control, they don’t even have half the players of other servers and even if they 2v1’d they wouldn’t win.

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

^This is true.

Bookmakers would not offer any odds at all on WvW winners because you know who will win because of coverage even a month ahead of time.

Vizunah Square will win the Eu tournament.

Blackgate will win the NA tournament.

Because of coverage there is no competition.

Anet listened on everything except competition and coverage.

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

in WvW

Posted by: Baels.3469

Baels.3469

I’ll tell you exactly what it is.

Too little, too late.

RIP my interest in WvW. Some time 6 months ago.

Blackgate
[MERC] – Oceanic

in WvW

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Except that in football you don’t have a team with MORE PLAYERS than other teams.

That way the Patriots have at least a chance to be defeated by the Texans. But if the Patriots have 3 extra receivers and 5 more tackles. What’s the chances for the Texans then?

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in WvW

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

I’ll tell you exactly what it is.

Too little, too late.

RIP my interest in WvW. Some time 6 months ago.

Thanks for sharing.

If you don’t care, why bother posting here?

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in WvW

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

It is very simple, servers that win more will fight other servers that win more and servers that lose will fight other servers that lose.

Example using the the first 3 tiers with wins being worth 3pts, 2nd 2pts, and 3rd 1pt.

Round 1:
SoR 3rd: 3pt

copy /paste error?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in WvW

Distaste.4801

Round 1:
SoR 3rd: 3pt

copy /paste error?

More of a slip from 3rd to 3pt, but the point got made I hope.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The next round is going to be:
BG vs TC vs Mag(all 3 pt)
JQ vs SoS vs SBI
SoR vs FA vs BP(all 1pt)

Basically the higher tier servers then get a free win. So the next match will be:
BG(6pt) vs JQ(5pt) vs TC(5pt)
SoR(4pt) vs SoS(4pt) vs Mag(4pt)
SBI vs FA(3pt) vs BP(2pt)

There is a problem with subsequent rounds. Lets say BP fights in T4 week 1 and wins. The second week we would see T1-3 winners fight it out as stated and the T4-6 winners fight it out. The third week would have the winners of Tier One, Tier Four and Tier Seven(?) in a matchup together. After week two it could REALLY ugly on the matchups if they are done strictly by points.

Going a step forward into week four the T4 winner would still have 2 wins and one second place finish meaning they are going to probably be put with BG again.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in WvW

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

Except that in football you don’t have a team with MORE PLAYERS than other teams.

That way the Patriots have at least a chance to be defeated by the Texans. But if the Patriots have 3 extra receivers and 5 more tackles. What’s the chances for the Texans then?

There’s the rub; since the population caps on the PPT zones are static and set so high it rewards server stacking to ensure maximum coverage at all times.

EotM being added in is not helping that by itself since now there is not even the deterrent of long queue times for WvW action.

If they actually intend the WvW system to be even remotely competitive something further needs to be done to better encourage balancing out the populations in the PPT zones; such as scaling zone pop caps set by the lowest populated side, and/or possibly allowing wholesale guild transfers downtier at reduced or no cost with a retention of influence, etc.

Adding just those things would mean a largely reduced benefit for stacking since all that means is you are locking yourself out of the ppt maps by not spreading out across the servers.

in WvW

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

So will there be “leagues” again (bronze/silver/gold)? Or will this new swiss tournament style force my server Darkhaven to fight, say, Blackgate or maybe Borlis Pass if we defeat servers near our own rank (as we normally do)? If so, I find this horribly shocking and absolutely a TERRIBLE idea… it’s one step worse than the previous system, it just forces more imbalanced matchups.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

(edited by Arius.7031)

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i still don’t understand…

is it going to be a 3-way fight like current WvW mode, or 1v1 fight ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

It will still be a 3 way fight. I do not think they will split the NA/EU into 3 distinct leagues but I could be wrong. if they do split them, the swiss style really won’t change anything.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Avatar of Belle.9623

The powers that be will probably announce the initial matchups shortly before the tournament starts but I would guess the initial matchup will be with whatever tier you are with. The disparity will be interesting in the middle because I can imagine the lower tier servers who win will end up against BG or JQ. Looking forward to the immense amount of QQ.

Please register at http://www.gw2wvw.net/ in preparation for next season. I do not want to miss out on the tears.

Threnody of Belle – Necromancer and PvE Carebear (24,500 achievement points)
Maguuma
#allisvain

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

The problem is that the examples in here show tiers 1-3 facing each other. Has that been announced because it seems to me that all 8 tiers NA/9 tiers EU are in the same boat.

If so, a likely matchup (based on this week’s rankings) would be a week 2 matchup between BG/ET/SF.

None of this will affect the rankings much, just affect the misery and the participation in EotM….which may be the goal.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

So does that mean as an example, if ET is winning against their opponents every week they will potentially be playing BG because both servers won say 3 weeks in a row ?

Or are they still going to split into different leagues ?