What's with all the insta death skills?

in WvW

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

I mean seriously, I’ve been playing WvW recently and been killed with out being able to do anything at all. In particular the Ranger’s rapid fire skill: one death from one 46,000 damage, and another from 48,000. Thieves hitting for 15-16k damage from stealth, then stealthing to finish you off with another move. I rarely moan about balance, but when you don’t even have a chance to fight back, that just isn’t fun, or balanced. I’m not up-scaled, and have exotic gear.

This is particularly compounded by the poor field of vision in GW2. Great game, but you can’t even zoom out very far, meaning off screen attacks can happen especially when you are on high ground.

One/two shotting same lvl players that are decently gear can’t be right. Can it?

in WvW

Posted by: Matipzieu KyA.9613

Matipzieu KyA.9613

Those numbers sound really off. No character has 48,000 health; I’m not sure even extreme vitality builds (which would be of marginal utility) would crack 30,000.

If you’re taking damage like that, I just have a few questions:

(1) Are you upleveled, and if so, from what level? A Level 2 fighting in WvW, for example, against level 80 ascended armor, “glass cannon” high offense builds would probably be close to one-shot by skilled players.

(2) If you’re not extremely upleveled, do you have enough (A) toughness and (B) vitality in your build?

(3) At the time, did you have a high number of stacks of vulnerability on you?

(4) What profession and what build are you using?

Matixvieu (et al) | Blackgate – WvW, PvE
GM of [KyA] Established 2002

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

I think it’s mathmatically impossible to get that much damage against you unless a ballista was involved.

16k, I have seen that from thieves (against heavies as well). Run pure glass with high crit, power, and crit damage and once in a while you might hit the jackpot and one-shot down someone running a little too much melted sand themselves.

in WvW

Vague Memory.2817

Hi, I check my combat log each time. The damage dealt by rapid fire were 48k (just now) and on another occasion 46K – instant death.

I am not up-scaled, as I mentioned before. I have just over 19K health, with a leaning towards a glassy build, but not totally so. As a mesmer you’re almost forced to go a bit glassy in WvW if you want to put down anyone higher than light armour.

To tell you the true I wasn’t sure if vulnerability was stacked on me, these deaths happened too fast to tell.

My character is wearing assassin exotic armour, but with some toughness on accessories. My toughness is 1443, armour 2363.

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Screen cap the damage and post it.

Were you hit by a player or an NPC? Legendary guards will insta down you.

(edited by Ross Biddle.2367)

in WvW

Vague Memory.2817

Unfortunately, the log has cleared. I got booted for being idle. But I can’t be the only person this has happened to. Several thieves have done the same thing me when roaming. The insta death from rangers (players) has happened twice with rapid fire (so the log said).

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

mesmer and somewhat glassy…I still can’t see 46k and 48k.

If rangers could spike that much they’d be the new WvW meta LOL

in WvW

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

Yeah, it really sounds like you got hit by the legendary defenders, there’s just no way for a player to hit you that hard…

in WvW

Posted by: Twilight Undreaming.5197

Twilight Undreaming.5197

Also…did I just see a Glass MESMER complain about the ability of another class to do massive instant damage?
But yes as a thief I can vouch for the ability to AA chain for about that much damage against a glass class.

IoJ Thief-Rainbow Slash

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

Tips:

-Roll the classes that you are having trouble against. Read their trait spec and figure out whats viable builds.
-Play a few rounds with said class in Spvp. Learn to play it
-Congrats now you know how to counter them

Commander Nachonix

in WvW

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

Highest damage output I have dealt myself is thief using whirling axes (steal from warrior) which did 32k damage. From any pistol skill from rapid fire Ive never seen more than around 15k. And I run full glass thief with PP. Im sure your making up the 48k. Its not even possible for a character to have this much HP even running full sentinels and applied fortitude meaning its pretty much impossible.

in WvW

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

Rapid Fire isn’t an instant shot skill… it’s a bloody four-and-a-half seconds long channel.

It’s possible to get 48k with Signet of the Wild buff and chewing signets to fuel Beastmaster’s Might, but that requires several contingencies:

1. The Ranger is incredibly glass, running Zerker w/ Scholars.
2. The Ranger must chew all of his/her utilities and elite in order to facilitate a single burst.
3. The build involves speccing 30 points into some of the worst traitlines regarding personal sustain (Marksmanship and Skirmishing).
4. The attack is incredibly choreographed. If you can’t see the “Attack of Opportunity” or 9 Insta-Stacks of Might, no one can help you learn.

And let’s not forget… a simple dodge or constant left-to-right side strafing would allow you to avoid most, if not ALL, of the arrow projectiles.

As for thieves and their stealth mechanic, it’s no venue of modern discovery to understand how broken stealth is in WvW compared to sPvP. I think the advent of the Dire stat and Perplexity Rune shows the developers sheer callousness toward class balance in WvW.

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

My character is wearing assassin exotic armour, but with some toughness on accessories. My toughness is 1443, armour 2363.

Found your problem. My necro is the only class of 4 professions I have that has anything less than 2.8k armor atm, but even she is at 2.5k (working on ascendeds to bring that up to 2.8k.) Your defense is very squishy, hence why glass cannon builds are doing so much to you atm. Try using cavaliers (iirc) accessories since they give power, toughness, and crit damage as their stats since you’re using assassin’s gear.

in WvW

nirvana.8245

Rapid Fire isn’t an instant shot skill… it’s a bloody four-and-a-half seconds long channel.

It’s possible to get 48k with Signet of the Wild buff and chewing signets to fuel Beastmaster’s Might, but that requires several contingencies:

1. The Ranger is incredibly glass, running Zerker w/ Scholars.
2. The Ranger must chew all of his/her utilities and elite in order to facilitate a single burst.
3. The build involves speccing 30 points into some of the worst traitlines regarding personal sustain (Marksmanship and Skirmishing).
4. The attack is incredibly choreographed. If you can’t see the “Attack of Opportunity” or 9 Insta-Stacks of Might, no one can help you learn.

And let’s not forget… a simple dodge or constant left-to-right side strafing would allow you to avoid most, if not ALL, of the arrow projectiles.

As for thieves and their stealth mechanic, it’s no venue of modern discovery to understand how broken stealth is in WvW compared to sPvP. I think the advent of the Dire stat and Perplexity Rune shows the developers sheer callousness toward class balance in WvW.

Oh so its a Rangers rapid fire. I guess we should definitely nerf rangers then.

in WvW

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

Those numbers sound really off. No character has 48,000 health; I’m not sure even extreme vitality builds (which would be of marginal utility) would crack 30,000.

One of my mesmer builds uses PTV gear+vit runes and sentinel trinkets and weapons and when fully buffed mid-WvW week I get ~30-31k health, so it is entirely possible for even a mesmer to get around 30k health. However, my guess is it was either a pure zerker ranger and the OP just didn’t dodge, or he was hit by a legendary defender

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in WvW

Posted by: Ikaros.7812

Ikaros.7812

Are you an ambient creature by any chance?

Banana And Cookies [BC]
all is vain

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

One of my mesmer builds uses PTV gear+vit runes and sentinel trinkets and weapons and when fully buffed mid-WvW week I get ~30-31k health, so it is entirely possible for even a mesmer to get around 30k health. However, my guess is it was either a pure zerker ranger and the OP just didn’t dodge, or he was hit by a legendary defender

omg of course. op,were u close to enemy spawn? if yes u got hit bi the legendary defender. they use rapid fire! u cant get close to the enemy spawn area or u insta die. also if u are running a glass build on anything else than a thief, than u can expect 13-16k backstabs.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

ranger rapid fire? lol. just dodge.

OP’d thief, lol

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

:d good one.. Come on OP, my Ranger used to be glassy to the max. Full zerker everything and could not do that kind of damage against upleveled even.
It has to be one of the legendary defenders that hit you.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The log is buggy and constantly lies. Often a compound source of damage is rolled up into one attack. Lets say you get hit by three players. Sometimes the log entry will appear something like this Unknown hit you for [A Ton of Damage] using [Some Random Skill]. In reality it was a dozen attacks but I think the server rolls it up and delivers the damage as one packet for performance reasons. The log simply isn’t getting all the detail. This is particularly problematic for conditions and siege which often do not show up in the log at all.

ranger rapid fire? lol. just dodge.

It will still continue to track you after you dodge. You will avoid some of the damage though.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

nirvana.8245

@Straegen Yeah the combat log is extremely buggy. According to the combat log Ive been killed by <1k damage many times instantly where there is no possible fall damage to factor in.

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

48k is nothing. I kill rabbits with fireblast for over 400k in damage. Infact all that remains is dust.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: KOK.2650

KOK.2650

The log is buggy and constantly lies. Often a compound source of damage is rolled up into one attack. .

Try jumping into a zerg and see your log
A lot of the damage won’t get factor in.
The log will tell u that u die in like 4-kittens

48k rapid fire in combat log is possible due to 2 reasons
1)Massive lag, a ranger can cycle 3 rapid fire shot at you between CD. If it lag so badly , all these shot will show as one hit
2)Hack, combat-speed hack and no CD hack. He is shooting 24 rapid-fire shot at you in 1sec due to speed hack. (That guys is asking for ban if you ask me.)

Kok -lvl 80 warrior Tsukoyu-lvl 80 elementalist
Ayumu-lvl 80 Necromancer
Tsu-lvl 80 thief

(edited by KOK.2650)

in WvW

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

or maybe op was in range of a legendary defender?

in WvW

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

kitten yesterday I was going for maximum dmg in one hit I was landing 20k shield of wraths with 5.5k attack and 70% dmg increase qq

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/135953/gw137.jpg

maybe he aint lying…. But then again, mistaking a greatsword for a longbow, gotta be doing some illegal substances to pull that off.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

48k rapid fire is the legendary defender, if you’re going to spawn camp, at least try to be good at it.

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

@Straegen Yeah the combat log is extremely buggy. According to the combat log Ive been killed by <1k damage many times instantly where there is no possible fall damage to factor in.

pet attacks (except mesmer) doesnt show in logs. So you coulda been steamrolled by a MM necro or BM ranger and the pet damage would not show.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

46k damage seem unreal. I think maybe you were hit by a npc in the edge of mists. Thieves can burst 10-20k warrior kill shot can get close to 20k if you have no toughness . Get some toughness gear and you should live through these bursts. There are counters to both you just have to learn what to do. i.e 1 well timed dodge.

in WvW

nirvana.8245

pet attacks (except mesmer) doesnt show in logs. So you coulda been steamrolled by a MM necro or BM ranger and the pet damage would not show.

I recall on one occasion getting two hit by one of a rangers birds. It seemed so strange as I was running alot of toughness and 13k hp. The ranger was waiting at my spawn and added me to party and his immediate words were “WTF”. I was like “yeah I just got two hit by your pet lol”. He went on to say he guessed it was a bug of some kind etc etc.

But the main class I have issues with is thieves who only deal like one auto attack. Like literally in the combat log it will show one wildstrike of 900 damage and Im dead. No thieves guild. No nothing. Just randomly dead before a fight even begun. I suspect that its a latency thing tbh as I have a 200+ ping to NA servers and when it is really laggy it can get above 400.

in WvW

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Whenever i go to wvw all i hear is zerkers are rallybots go staff bunker guard or gtfo.

in WvW

Posted by: albotelho.2931

albotelho.2931

Dude I hope my ranger could do that with rapid fire… you were probably hit by legendary guards.

Turig Wolfsbane Norn Guardian
Rangrorn Charr Necromancer
Ultimate Legion [UL]

in WvW

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

Dude I hope my ranger could do that with rapid fire… you were probably hit by legendary guards.

Yeah me too – never been close to that sort of damage using my ranger.

in WvW

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Dude, you just made me burst out laughing at work…

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I expect you to reimburse me for my keyboard; it has coffee all over it now.

Seriously though, as a PU power mesmer, rangers are some of my easiest prey. There are always exceptions, but considering how easy most of them are to kill, I’d just quietly ignore the ones that one-shot you and not make too much of a fuss about balance.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~